• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Question super fast charging

Search This thread

MadCobbler

Inactive Recognized Contributor / Themer
Jun 27, 2009
Sheffield
Well it did confuse me to start off with as when I first got mine, I used the 65w charger I had with my Oppo Find X2 and it only said fast charging with that, but as soon as I got the Samsung 25w charger with the free note package (charger/case/pen) it went up to super fast charging. Charge rate didn't differ, they both charged at the same rate.

Although my Oppo charger was type a to type c and the Samsung is type c to type c... so that could've made a difference to whether it says super fast or just fast.

What I'm trying to say that if it is a 25w charger or higher I don't think whether it says super fast or fast actually make a difference as to how fast it does actually charge

Well it did confuse me to start off with as when I first got mine, I used the 65w charger I had with my Oppo Find X2 and it only said fast charging with that, but as soon as I got the Samsung 25w charger with the free note package (charger/case/pen) it went up to super fast charging. Charge rate didn't differ, they both charged at the same rate.

Although my Oppo charger was type a to type c and the Samsung is type c to type c... so that could've made a difference to whether it says super fast or just fast.

What I'm trying to say that if it is a 25w charger or higher I don't think whether it says super fast or fast actually make a difference as to how fast it does actually charge
Because OPPO doesn't use pd or pps. They use their own vooc technology which does 10v 6.5amps for 65watt. So attaching it to the fold 3 will limit it to [email protected] because it doesn't accept 10v charging (9v max on PD, or up to 11v IF PPS) or higher than 3amp charging

Reactions: MadCobbler

MadCobbler

Inactive Recognized Contributor / Themer
Jun 27, 2009
Sheffield
Because OPPO doesn't use pd or pps. They use their own vooc technology which does 10v 6.5amps for 65watt. So attaching it to the fold 3 will limit it to [email protected] because it doesn't accept 10v charging (9v max on PD, or up to 11v IF PPS) or higher than 3amp charging
Yeah, that's basically what I was trying to say, that the Fold 3 limits the charging to 25w no matter what charger you use... You just had a more elegant and technical way of putting it :D

And I'm guessing that Oppo's vooc technology is why it was saying fast charging instead of super fast? Or is a combination of that and usb type a to type c?

Reactions: Acoustichayes
Yeah, that's basically what I was trying to say, that the Fold 3 limits the charging to 25w no matter what charger you use... You just had a more elegant and technical way of putting it :D

And I'm guessing that Oppo's vooc technology is why it was saying fast charging instead of super fast? Or is a combination of that and usb type a to type c?
No worries haha. So charging between 15-18 watts will make it say fast charging, and charging like 21-25 watts will make it say super fast if it's PPS
The specifics on how that all works just would make everything confusing and make this post really long lol. But I Commented on the page before with more detail

Reactions: MadCobbler

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
The only thing that matters is the actual charge rates throughout the charging curve.
The charging rate varies throughout the curve.
Charger wattage, charging protocol, cable, charging software setting, phone state, the battery state and start/charging temperatures can all alter the charging rate and/or disable fast charging.

Start charge at a minimum of 82F preferably >85F and <93F.
Use cooling if needed to keep below 100F while charging.
These are the optimum charging temperatures.
Deviating from them can degrade the charging curve/speed. Screen must be off.
By timing the battery % per seconds will show you the actual charge curve and speed.
It's rather interesting to watch and see how the variables effect it.

xile6

Dec 2, 2008
Dallas
Got a super fast charger from my note 10plus and the fold 3 super fast charge just fine.
There is only a fast charging toggle in settings.
But if you use the correct charger it will work

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Well if you plug in your fold with a 25w or 45w charger, it automatically appears as super fast charger. If you plug or wireless charge your phone with anything else it just bumps it down to fast charging(cable) or fast wireless charging.
    I know that the 21u said it but I think they removed it because it wasn't like the note 10 that really could take advantage of the 45w super fast charging. This is my guess as I wonder the same thing but saw when I used my 45w it still said super fast charging

On Android 9, 25 w brick it shows fast charging.
    On Android 10, same 25 w brick shows super fast charging.
    Both are charging at the same rate I believe.
    Semantics is all it is; it sounds like it charges faster🤣
    As long as it's charging at about 2%@minute, it's fast charging. Slow charging is 1%@minute.
    At around 80% it will ramp down to 1%@minute when fast charging.
    At 90% it will ramp down again to 1%@about every 1-2 minutes.

If the temp is too low fast charging will not engage. If it gets too high fast charging will disengage or stop charging entirely.
    On Android 9, 25 w brick it shows fast charging.
    On Android 10, same 25 w brick shows super fast charging.
    Both are charging at the same rate I believe.
    Semantics is all it is; it sounds like it charges faster🤣
    As long as it's charging at about 2%@minute, it's fast charging. Slow charging is 1%@minute.
    At around 80% it will ramp down to 1%@minute when fast charging.
    At 90% it will ramp down again to 1%@about every 1-2 minutes.

If the temp is too low fast charging will not engage. If it gets too high fast charging will disengage or stop charging entirely.
    So thats how it is...I dont know if its just me or I just feel Its a little bit slower like at least 25mins slower..anyway will try to take a deeper look into it on the settings..thanks for the response guys!
    First to answer the question, there is only a toggle for fast charging on the phone, none for super fast charging even though it can "super fast charge".
    The fold 3 supports PD and PPS with respective volt/amp charging as per the attached Pic. To get it to say super fast charging, your charger needs to be PPS capable to give it the full 25watts, otherwise it will drop to 15-18watt charging and only show fast charging. The difference between fast charging and super fast charging on the fold 3 only shows a 10 minute variance realistically.
    From prior research, Samsung brand super fast Chargers only actually charge at a max of 22 watts.(using PD [email protected], at 90% efficiency)

Screenshot_20210927-091325_Firefox Beta.jpg
    Tbh The only time I've found super fast charging to be really worth the difference is when driving and using GPS with the screen on and open. Or if you're using the inner screen while charging with the brightness up