Question super fast charging

Search This thread

zmokez008

May 5, 2011
Why cant I see the toggle for super fast charging like on my s21 ultra on the z fold 3?only option is fast charging and fast wireless charging

Sonin66

Dec 15, 2012
Cleveland, OH
Well if you plug in your fold with a 25w or 45w charger, it automatically appears as super fast charger. If you plug or wireless charge your phone with anything else it just bumps it down to fast charging(cable) or fast wireless charging.

Reactions: blackhawk

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
That's odd. That was implemented on Android 10. Even my new Note 10+ running on Q has it, my 10+ running on Pie doesn't.
It's possible there's a toggle in Developer options.
There should be a toggle in Device Care.
Try doing a settings search for it.

zmokez008

May 5, 2011
Well if you plug in your fold with a 25w or 45w charger, it automatically appears as super fast charger. If you plug or wireless charge your phone with anything else it just bumps it down to fast charging(cable) or fast wireless charging.

sorry for the confusion..what I meant is when I go to settings and battery option on my s21 ultra I could see the super fast charging toggle button but on the z fold 3 I cant

zmokez008

May 5, 2011
That's odd. That was implemented on Android 10. Even my new Note 10+ running on Q has it, my 10+ running on Pie doesn't.
It's possible there's a toggle in Developer options.
There should be a toggle in Device Care.
Try doing a settings search for it.
will try to check the device care but on the developer option I cant find it

Sonin66

Dec 15, 2012
Cleveland, OH
sorry for the confusion..what I meant is when I go to settings and battery option on my s21 ultra I could see the super fast charging toggle button but on the z fold 3 I cant
I know that the 21u said it but I think they removed it because it wasn't like the note 10 that really could take advantage of the 45w super fast charging. This is my guess as I wonder the same thing but saw when I used my 45w it still said super fast charging

zmokez008

May 5, 2011
I know that the 21u said it but I think they removed it because it wasn't like the note 10 that really could take advantage of the 45w super fast charging. This is my guess as I wonder the same thing but saw when I used my 45w it still said super fast charging
my z fold 3 only says fast charging not super fast charging even when I use the same charging brick use on s21u while when I use it on s21u its shows super fast charging

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+

On Android 9, 25 w brick it shows fast charging.
On Android 10, same 25 w brick shows super fast charging.
Both are charging at the same rate I believe.
Semantics is all it is; it sounds like it charges faster🤣
As long as it's charging at about 2%@minute, it's fast charging. Slow charging is 1%@minute.
At around 80% it will ramp down to 1%@minute when fast charging.
At 90% it will ramp down again to 1%@about every 1-2 minutes.

If the temp is too low fast charging will not engage. If it gets too high fast charging will disengage or stop charging entirely.

Reactions: Sonin66

Sonin66

Dec 15, 2012
Cleveland, OH
my z fold 3 only says fast charging not super fast charging even when I use the same charging brick use on s21u while when I use it on s21u its shows super fast charging
Screenshot_20210927-010131_One UI Home.jpg

This is on the Samsung 45w charger I have

zmokez008

May 5, 2011
As long as it's charging at about 2%@minute, it's fast charging. Slow charging is 1%@minute.

If the temp is too low fast charging will not engage. If it gets too high fast charging will disengage or stop charging entirely.
So thats how it is...I dont know if its just me or I just feel Its a little bit slower like at least 25mins slower..anyway will try to take a deeper look into it on the settings..thanks for the response guys!

Reactions: blackhawk

Sonin66

Dec 15, 2012
Cleveland, OH

I think it's also semantics but it does charge faster than my old chargers I had lying around which is why I opted to get the 25w charger from samsung when buying my fold 3

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
I think it's also semantics but it does charge faster than my old chargers I had lying around which is why I opted to get the 25w charger from samsung when buying my fold 3
Well I have two hardware identical Note 10+'s, the older one had the battery replaced a few months so both batteries are fairly fresh.
The only difference is the OS version/firmware.
They both fast charge at the same speed but the newer one calls it super fast charging.

I'll try hooking the newer one up to a 10-15 w brick and see what it says.
Android 10, the new bad gf🤣

Sonin66

Dec 15, 2012
Cleveland, OH
Well I have two hardware identical Note 10+'s, the older one had the battery replaced a few months so both batteries are fairly fresh.
The only difference is the OS version/firmware.
They both fast charge at the same speed but the newer one calls it super fast charging.

I'll try hooking the newer one up to a 10-15 w brick and see what it says.
Android 10, the new bad gf🤣
Let us know the turn out! I honestly don't know why Samsung turned off our phones from really super fast charging using all the 45w. Instead they capped us off to only going to 25w max. I'm only guessing a lot of people were frying their phones or their batteries didn't last long

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
Let us know the turn out! I honestly don't know why Samsung turned off our phones from really super fast charging using all the 45w. Instead they capped us off to only going to 25w max. I'm only guessing a lot of people were frying their phones or their batteries didn't last long
The 45 w brick isn't that much faster overall.
It peak boost is in the first 40%, exactly the range where you don't want to discharge into and where you don't want to stress the battery even further with heavy current loading when charging.

A lot of that energy at the higher wattage is wasted as heat; it never reaches the surface of the plates to charge anything.

First to answer the question, there is only a toggle for fast charging on the phone, none for super fast charging even though it can "super fast charge".
The fold 3 supports PD and PPS with respective volt/amp charging as per the attached Pic. To get it to say super fast charging, your charger needs to be PPS capable to give it the full 25watts, otherwise it will drop to 15-18watt charging and only show fast charging. The difference between fast charging and super fast charging on the fold 3 only shows a 10 minute variance realistically.
From prior research, Samsung brand super fast Chargers only actually charge at a max of 22 watts.(using PD 9V@2.7amps, at 90% efficiency)

Screenshot_20210927-091325_Firefox Beta.jpg
Tbh The only time I've found super fast charging to be really worth the difference is when driving and using GPS with the screen on and open. Or if you're using the inner screen while charging with the brightness up

Last edited:
Reactions: Talderon

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

So thats how it is...I dont know if its just me or I just feel Its a little bit slower like at least 25mins slower..anyway will try to take a deeper look into it on the settings..thanks for the response guys!
    First to answer the question, there is only a toggle for fast charging on the phone, none for super fast charging even though it can "super fast charge".
    The fold 3 supports PD and PPS with respective volt/amp charging as per the attached Pic. To get it to say super fast charging, your charger needs to be PPS capable to give it the full 25watts, otherwise it will drop to 15-18watt charging and only show fast charging. The difference between fast charging and super fast charging on the fold 3 only shows a 10 minute variance realistically.
    From prior research, Samsung brand super fast Chargers only actually charge at a max of 22 watts.(using PD 9V@2.7amps, at 90% efficiency)

Screenshot_20210927-091325_Firefox Beta.jpg
    Tbh The only time I've found super fast charging to be really worth the difference is when driving and using GPS with the screen on and open. Or if you're using the inner screen while charging with the brightness up
    Well it did confuse me to start off with as when I first got mine, I used the 65w charger I had with my Oppo Find X2 and it only said fast charging with that, but as soon as I got the Samsung 25w charger with the free note package (charger/case/pen) it went up to super fast charging. Charge rate didn't differ, they both charged at the same rate.

Although my Oppo charger was type a to type c and the Samsung is type c to type c... so that could've made a difference to whether it says super fast or just fast.

What I'm trying to say that if it is a 25w charger or higher I don't think whether it says super fast or fast actually make a difference as to how fast it does actually charge
    Because OPPO doesn't use pd or pps. They use their own vooc technology which does 10v 6.5amps for 65watt. So attaching it to the fold 3 will limit it to 5v@3amps because it doesn't accept 10v charging (9v max on PD, or up to 11v IF PPS) or higher than 3amp charging