Supercharge doesn't work

Search This thread

cologne83

Nov 3, 2011
Cologne
Hi guys,
I normally charge my p20 pro every night. Plugging in an hour ago, I recognized that supercharge doesn't work. Sometimes charging completely stops.
Tried to reboot, nothing changes...
Installed battery app and see that maximum charging current is about 1700 mah.

Does anyone now what it could be?

Tried another charger, same situation. Tried different cable, same situation. P20 from my girlfriend on my charger and supercharge works fine.

Thx Benny

Gesendet von meinem CLT-L29 mit Tapatalk

cologne83

Nov 3, 2011
Cologne
Another strange behavior is that sometimes charging stops. And sometimes usb options pop up like if you connect to a computer... But phone is on charger.

psycho.b94

Feb 19, 2015
Riffa
Hi there, I've been dealing with the same issue as you for the past few days. Mine I can confirm has resolved automatically. Do you expose your device to water or moisture alot? I believe that the p20 has been optimized for safety incase the phone is ever dealt with moisture in the charging port. My issue was that the phone kept saying 'supplying power to connected USB device' when in reality, there was no device connected to the phone in the first place. This was on the night I had dipped the device in water, it appears the USB port is more susceptible to being affected by moisture than any other area of the device. I have taken note that while the charging port is wet, the phone does not enter supercharging. As for how I was able to resolve this issue, I first used a blower to clean any dust or debris in the charging port, this allowed the device to return to its normal state and not think that it is connected to another device. However, this still didn't allow supercharging to work, the following day i was desperate to get this fixed without taking it to the service center. And it would still only show 'charging' and not 'supercharging' whenever I connected the device to the charger (it would actually show super charging for a split second and then going back to charging). I finally decided to just clean the port with water instead (I know this might sound risky and stupid) and so I did it. When I tried plugging it in again it would not supercharge, but i already had anticipated this. Instead, I waited for the next couple of hours for the water to dry out and when it did, finally super charge was working once again. So my suggestion to you is:

1) Clean the charging port as well as you can, and have some patience (incase you do end up using water, as the phone does not super charge when it finds the port to be wet.) Also if you do end up using a pin or something similar make sure to gently wipe away the debris (if any) and be careful not to damage any of the connectors of the port.

2) disconnect the charging adapter and make sure it is plugged out for atleast 30 minutes before plugging the cable and adapter again.

3) if these don't help you then you should definitely go to the service centre.

EDIT: IF YOU DO USE WATER PLEASE MAKE SURE TO ONLY USE A SMALL AMOUNT AND NOT BATHE THE CHARGING PORT IN WATER!!

Last edited:
Reactions: cologne83

cologne83

Nov 3, 2011
Cologne
Thx psycho!
My phone got wet yesterday and the day before. Today morning supercharge works again. Yesterday evening the phone said normal charging but not plugged into wall. Only plugged the charger into phone.
That might be a symptom of a short circuit by water.

I got an app to measure the current ampere.
Does anyone know how much ampere the p20 takes from the charger?
I know that the charger goes down with the ampere when getting near 100%.
I will take a measurement in the afternoon again when supercharging.

How long should I take to get from 30 percent to 90 percent for example?

I hope it's not a hardware problem...

Thx guys.

psycho.b94

Feb 19, 2015
Riffa
You're welcome! I couldn't find any solutions online too so I get how you feel. I think it's just the way they programmed this phone, it won't super charge when it detects any kind of moisture underneath it, when that dries up it goes back to normal so it charges as it should. As for the max current you should expect it to be around 4800 mA - 4900 mA on lower battery levels. Expect this to decrease over time but that is normal, it's just how Huawei's super charging works to ensure that your battery lasts longer and is safe to use. So if it charges above 4000 mA when you first plug it in you should be good. You'll notice the phone starts of slow but as each second passes by the charging speed rises. Also expect charging to slow down on heavy uses such as gaming and when the phone is hot. I think you should be fine as long as the phone continously says that it's super charging at all battery levels. Expect a 0-100% in about 1h 20 minutes.

Below is an example of the max current speeds I get out supercharging but note that this varies slightly depending on battery percentage.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180505-235502.jpg
    Screenshot_20180505-235502.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 2,327

markabes23

Jun 21, 2018
This happened to me too ?

It has been 4 days since my phone got wet and it still doesn't support suppercharge. What do I do? ? Currently charging at 1700 mA according to Ampere

psycho.b94

Feb 19, 2015
Riffa
It has been 4 days since my phone got wet and it still doesn't support suppercharge. What do I do? ? Currently charging at 1700 mA according to Ampere
Have some patience. As long as the phone displays supercharging in the lockscreen it's fine. It's also possible that there's still moisture in the charging port/battery area that the phone detects which is preventing it from supercharging. I recommend drying the phone thoroughly and waiting. If it doesn't work within a week I recommend factory resetting your device and/or trying a different cable and adapter. If nothing works, i recommend taking your device to the service center. I have personally experienced this myself and the issue had resolved itself within 3-4 of occurance.

Reactions: markabes23

markabes23

Jun 21, 2018
Have some patience. As long as the phone displays supercharging in the lockscreen it's fine. It's also possible that there's still moisture in the charging port/battery area that the phone detects which is preventing it from supercharging. I recommend drying the phone thoroughly and waiting. If it doesn't work within a week I recommend factory resetting your device and/or trying a different cable and adapter. If nothing works, i recommend taking your device to the service center. I have personally experienced this myself and the issue had resolved itself within 3-4 of occurance.

Yes, Charging will appear and then the device will say SuperCharging and will go back to Charging a split second after. Haaaay. This is so frustrating. Today marks the 5th day :(

psycho.b94

Feb 19, 2015
Riffa
Yes, Charging will appear and then the device will say SuperCharging and will go back to Charging a split second after. Haaaay. This is so frustrating. Today marks the 5th day :(
I had the same issue, except that before it wouldn't say supercharging for even a split second and it would only say charging. Overtime though, the phone eventually started saying supercharging for a split second (just like in your case). I feel as though this is a good sign.

dladz

Aug 24, 2010
Liverpool
Avoid charging your phone overnight if you can, it isn't good for the phone, heat etc, supposed to shut off and not allow anything through but it still does and it's best avoided.

In regards to your device not taking the full effect.

It does actually sound like a fault, allow a complete discharge (also something you shouldn't do) then give it a shot, plug straight into a wall rather than an extension.

Other than that I'd say RMA.

Jake.S

Oct 9, 2017
Stockholm
Avoid charging your phone overnight if you can, it isn't good for the phone, heat etc, supposed to shut off and not allow anything through but it still does and it's best avoided.

In regards to your device not taking the full effect.

It does actually sound like a fault, allow a complete discharge (also something you shouldn't do) then give it a shot, plug straight into a wall rather than an extension.

Other than that I'd say RMA.

It's been proven that keeping charger connected at 100% charge does not damage the battery and some times it's even good to discharge the phone completely so battery is 0% since it helps the battery and operating system to keep proper % level registered. Since it has happened that battery begins to think at 45% is 0% and 100% is 100% so when it reaches 45% it shuts down and tells you batter is empty 0%. This is because battery has been miss calibrated in the operating system which has an file that registers which point battery is empty and full. So this is why emptying the battery fully few times does help calibration to stay correctly with 0% as 0% and 100% as 100%.

For the OP it seems somethings odd with supercharge, could be USB port on the phone, USB controler on main board or the charger and cable.

dladz

Aug 24, 2010
Liverpool
It's been proven that keeping charger connected at 100% charge does not damage the battery and some times it's even good to discharge the phone completely so battery is 0% since it helps the battery and operating system to keep proper % level registered. Since it has happened that battery begins to think at 45% is 0% and 100% is 100% so when it reaches 45% it shuts down and tells you batter is empty 0%. This is because battery has been miss calibrated in the operating system which has an file that registers which point battery is empty and full. So this is why emptying the battery fully few times does help calibration to stay correctly with 0% as 0% and 100% as 100%.

For the OP it seems somethings odd with supercharge, could be USB port on the phone, USB controler on main board or the charger and cable.

OMFG there is always one, Lol i'm not going to go into this any more than i absolutely have to.

To put it mildly, you're completely wrong, and i don't care what you've read, please understand physics, if you push power towards something and continue that pressure, whether electric or otherwise, something has to take the brunt of that force, capacitors can't do this forever, which is why they burn out.

I've worked in the mobile industry for over 20 years, i've seen what 6 months of charging every single device on the planet does EVERY SINGLE TIM, iPhones down to nokia 100's

Please don't go on about this, i've seen this 1,000's of times on 1,000's of devices.

Your battery will either bloat or lose efficiency, or your actual device will inherit anomalies, i really do not have time to type what i typed nearly 10 years ago so you can understand.

Don't talk to me about capacitors, which is the only thing which is stopping that charge from getting to the motherboard of the device.

The only reason you should charge your device overnight is because your provider wants your device to die so you can buy another, and that's IT.

I've seen a battery which was a highly rated lithium battery stretch a device in half with industrial sized screws, the battery stretched from 0.4" to 2.2 inches.

The only thing i did was to charge it a lot and it split the device in half (same device used to diagnose mercedes benz cars and BMW's)

Please don't drop "it's been proven" in here, you're very very wrong and the only person you're helping is your provider.

You make your decision who you'd like to listen to, i can't be arsed arguing any more than i already have.

To the OP.

RMA your phone, that's not right.

:)

Last edited:

Jake.S

Oct 9, 2017
Stockholm
OMFG there is always one, Lol i'm not going to go into this any more than i absolutely have to.

To put it mildly, you're completely wrong, and i don't care what you've read, please understand physics, if you push power towards something and continue that pressure, whether electric or otherwise, something has to take the brunt of that force, capacitors can't do this forever, which is why they burn out.

I've worked in the mobile industry for over 20 years, i've seen what 6 months of charging every single device on the planet does EVERY SINGLE TIM, iPhones down to nokia 100's

Please don't go on about this, i've seen this 1,000's of times on 1,000's of devices.

Your battery will either bloat or lose efficiency, or your actual device will inherit anomalies, i really do not have time to type what i typed nearly 10 years ago so you can understand.

Don't talk to me about capacitors, which is the only thing which is stopping that charge from getting to the motherboard of the device.

The only reason you should charge your device overnight is because your provider wants your device to die so you can buy another, and that's IT.

I've seen a battery which was a highly rated lithium battery stretch a device in half with industrial sized screws, the battery stretched from 0.4" to 2.2 inches.

The only thing i did was to charge it a lot and it split the device in half (same device used to diagnose mercedes benz cars and BMW's)

Please don't drop "it's been proven" in here, you're very very wrong and the only person you're helping is your provider.

You make your decision who you'd like to listen to, i can't be arsed arguing any more than i already have.

To the OP.

RMA your phone, that's not right.

:)

To bad for you then, since your fact are wrong. It's been proven my bigger professionals out there that it's a myth that battery gets damaged when keeping charger connected at 100% since when it reaches 100% charge point it will stop charging the battery, but mobile will still be running from Charger. So yeah just admit you are wrong, i'm not the one that's wrong.

Also they did say one thing, damage did occur only on very old batteries that exsisted years ago, then those kind of batteries couldn't handle and would become damaged when charger was connected at 100% and it was different type of battery back then as well. Now we got something called Ion battery which can handle the full charge better than old batteries did.

Also idc how many years you been working with phones, alot of people still think wrong and have wrong facts still.

But now your words are against over 10 or more proffessionals out there that has proven opisit answer, so yeah just admit you are one with wrong facts.

Not last but least, alot of people take old facts with new batteries and still belives that battery are affected same way. But answer is no it isn't affected same way. lithium ion is another kind of battery we use for quite few years now. But before lithium ion came then it was a another kind of battery that did not handle itself well with 100% charge and would easily wear out alot quicker and get damaged.

Last edited:

dladz

Aug 24, 2010
Liverpool
To bad for you then, since your fact are wrong. It's been proven my bigger professionals out there that it's a myth that battery gets damaged when keeping charger connected at 100% since when it reaches 100% charge point it will stop charging the battery, but mobile will still be running from Charger. So yeah just admit you are wrong, i'm not the one that's wrong.

Also they did say one thing, damage did occur only on very old batteries that exsisted years ago, then those kind of batteries couldn't handle and would become damaged when charger was connected at 100% and it was different type of battery back then as well. Now we got something called Ion battery which can handle the full charge better than old batteries did.

Also idc how many years you been working with phones, alot of people still think wrong and have wrong facts still.

But now your words are against over 10 or more proffessionals out there that has proven opisit answer, so yeah just admit you are one with wrong facts.

Not last but least, alot of people take old facts with new batteries and still belives that battery are affected same way. But answer is no it isn't affected same way. lithium ion is another kind of battery we use for quite few years now. But before lithium ion came then it was a another kind of battery that did not handle itself well with 100% charge and would easily wear out alot quicker and get damaged.

Lol ok as I said I'm not going to go into it

You overcharge your phone and see how you get on.

Tell me have you ever got anything close to these battery stats for SOT

https://forum.xda-developers.com/oneplus-5/how-to/screen-time-leaderboard-post-longest-sot-t3780178

14 hours 20 mins?

No I know you haven't

You carry on and I'll do my thing.

Max up time for an iPhone 6 183 hours.

That's a week to you.

I know you have never seen these numbers.

But whilst you're sitting there with your head in the sand overcharging your phone every night lol.

Spare a moment for what you could have.

Don't spread crap without proof.

I have tangible proof I've seen and had to replace devices because of it. Screens, batteries, buttons.

I've seen more kit then you'll ever see.

You carry on the way you are but don't tell people to do what you do. It's idiotic and until you realise that you'll believe what you've read.

FYI you're relying on capacitors.

The second they fail your screwed.

Lol lithium is lithium..

You charge it it expands, please try to understand the logistics and dynamics of what your are attempting to talk about.

Or I'll tell you what, you keep overcharging your poor phone and I won't and we'll see who's phone lasts the longest after a year. I promise you I'll put you to shame.

You're taking someone else's word you don't know over someone with first hand experience of this behaviour

On your head be it

Last edited:

markabes23

Jun 21, 2018
Did you noticably change anything? Or does it appear random?

It just appears randomly. When I was at work earlier, it worked. But now that I'm home and I plugged in my phone it doesn't work again. It just promps every once in a while. It's like trying to supercharge and something is stopping my phone from doing it

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Must be a fault with your phone if thought tried another known good charger and it still doesn't work.
    Hi there, I've been dealing with the same issue as you for the past few days. Mine I can confirm has resolved automatically. Do you expose your device to water or moisture alot? I believe that the p20 has been optimized for safety incase the phone is ever dealt with moisture in the charging port. My issue was that the phone kept saying 'supplying power to connected USB device' when in reality, there was no device connected to the phone in the first place. This was on the night I had dipped the device in water, it appears the USB port is more susceptible to being affected by moisture than any other area of the device. I have taken note that while the charging port is wet, the phone does not enter supercharging. As for how I was able to resolve this issue, I first used a blower to clean any dust or debris in the charging port, this allowed the device to return to its normal state and not think that it is connected to another device. However, this still didn't allow supercharging to work, the following day i was desperate to get this fixed without taking it to the service center. And it would still only show 'charging' and not 'supercharging' whenever I connected the device to the charger (it would actually show super charging for a split second and then going back to charging). I finally decided to just clean the port with water instead (I know this might sound risky and stupid) and so I did it. When I tried plugging it in again it would not supercharge, but i already had anticipated this. Instead, I waited for the next couple of hours for the water to dry out and when it did, finally super charge was working once again. So my suggestion to you is:

1) Clean the charging port as well as you can, and have some patience (incase you do end up using water, as the phone does not super charge when it finds the port to be wet.) Also if you do end up using a pin or something similar make sure to gently wipe away the debris (if any) and be careful not to damage any of the connectors of the port.

2) disconnect the charging adapter and make sure it is plugged out for atleast 30 minutes before plugging the cable and adapter again.

3) if these don't help you then you should definitely go to the service centre.

EDIT: IF YOU DO USE WATER PLEASE MAKE SURE TO ONLY USE A SMALL AMOUNT AND NOT BATHE THE CHARGING PORT IN WATER!!
    Hi i had two separate issues concerning charging: first was the port wouldn't allow any cable to stay put for long or charge at all. the second was no supercharging.

I fixed the first by using a safety pin's pointy end to scrape out and remove stuff in the port. after some thorough cleaning, it worked again.

For the supercharging issue, I placed the phone, cables and adapter in an airtight container full of uncooked rice and a lot of desiccants overnight. That did it and I'm so happy it's supercharging again.

Hope this helps. :)

-Fil
    Have you tried a different Usb cable? Typically my charging issues are caused by faulty/damaged USB cords. My old S9 had a bum cord out of the box...
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone