Suport Dropped from CM for Vibrant-Epic 4G due to 911 calls, we are included?

Search This thread

cordell12

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 22, 2010
Dayton, TX
So like the title says, CM has dropped support for the Vibrant, and looks like the Epic 4G, and even states WE are likely to have this same issue!

Copy/Paste from Decadence Google+

Adnan Begovic - Yesterday 10:40 PM (edited) - Public
I write this as a response and a contribution to the Vibrant being dropped from supported devices on CyanogenMod.

Like the Vibrant, the build for the Samsung Epic 4g (and likely the e4gt when the time comes) is unable to dial 911 and have the correct emergency flag set, and will not be supported by CyanogenMod until this bug is fixed. Personally, I do find this disheartening because there has been so much effort dumped into this project only to realize that you'll have to attempt to reverse engineer another part of Samsung's proprietary lack-of-following-conventions-in-android stack.

This, however, is now the primary concern for the group working on the Epic 4g build.

Hopefully, in due time and diligence, we can achieve a solution to this problem.

I must state, that i cannot in my right mind agree with anyone using the mentioned builds for daily drivers. I do not want to be a reason someone loses life or limb because they cannot get the proper emergency services.

Please take disclaimer into heavy consideration for anything else myself, teamhacksung, or CyanogenMod choose to put out regarding the formerly mentioned devices.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/1073791...JKbvs#107379115315330131332/posts/f2dByrJKbvs

DEVS who have a KANG, PLEASE tell us 911 calls work!!!

Official announcement for Vibrant
http://forum.cyanogenmod.com/forum-0/announcement-19-cm-vibrant-support/

Last edited:

cordell12

Sep 22, 2010
Dayton, TX
Aye

Who needs 911
I need cyanogen

Sent from the future.

While i agree with you, it will be sad if we are not officially supported due to this. After reading some more it seems the call gets routed to 911 but audio does not. When using files from NS4G audio is a one way street. Doesn't Cyanogen himself work at Samsung? This should be a non issue, one would think. Samsung knew who Cyanogen was before hiring him, why try to keep his side project down? Samsung has always been bad when it comes to stuff like this though. This will more than likely be my last Samsung device ,unless its a pure google one.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda premium

MadFlava

Jul 5, 2008
Ive called 911 a couple of times on my phone. Worked okay. Maybe theres something behind the scenes that keeps it form working with the way the CM crew does it.

cordell12

Sep 22, 2010
Dayton, TX
I think the issue is a little deeper that just adding 911 to contacts. Dialing 911 even when phone has no activate account the call gets permitted by any carriers tower. This is something in the RIL which is proprietary code , none open sourced. So that would need to be reverse engineered, setting the flag in RIL to allow emergency calls to work. Apparently the call will go through but audio only works one way, not sure if its one way or the other though. I'm positive we will hear a lot more about this in the coming days.

Last edited:

KCRic

Aug 4, 2010
Overland Park
So it's not really an issue of the call not being permitted, it's just a one way call when you do it. While that does suck, I don't see it being a 'major' issue regardless of the person or event. Since 911 is set to respond to the location where the call originated with police and in some cities, fire and ambulance services. As lond as they can get a location from your current cell tower/wifi location someone will show up. Lets not forget they can use the 'other' GPS module in your phone to get a precise fix on you if needed.

Given those redundancies I don't see how this is such a huge deal. Major concern? Yes. Drop all support because of it? Not even close.

I'll find the link but I also read this morning that there was a fix pushed to Gerrit that fixes this issue anyway.

Last edited:

T.C.P

Apr 19, 2010
Stockton
yes the e4gt has this bug also, we probably wont get official, but unofficial yes...also alternative way is dial 0 and have operator route your call

cordell12

Sep 22, 2010
Dayton, TX
I am not saying the devs should give up and call it a dead project! Just pointing out CM will not officially support our device due to this. Dialing zero is fine for me, just hope i am not laying down with no life's breathe while someone else is dialing 911 with my phone, lol.

Dalmus

Feb 6, 2011
Milwaukee
So it's not really an issue of the call not being permitted, it's just a one way call when you do it. While that does suck, I don't see it being a 'major' issue regardless of the person or event. Since 911 is set to respond to the location where the call originated with police and in some cities, fire and ambulance services. As lond as they can get a location from your current cell tower/wifi location someone will show up. Lets not forget they can use the 'other' GPS module in your phone to get a precise fix on you if needed.

Given those redundancies I don't see how this is such a huge deal. Major concern? Yes. Drop all support because of it? Not even close.

I'll find the link but I also read this morning that there was a fix pushed to Gerrit that fixes this issue anyway.

Large (population-wise) counties will be able to use geolocation services to identify where a came from (assuming you have a GPS chip in a Samsung phone what actually works with less than a 100 meter accuracy). However, there are a LOT of rural areas where the 911 center may NOT have that capability, and would rely on the caller to provide information.

Not to mention the cops need to know the nature of the emergency... Did you fall in your hip, or are you hiding under your bed because a burglar has broken into your house? They kind've require a different response protocol!

bbedward

Jun 6, 2010
Cleveland, OH
I am not saying the devs should give up and call it a dead project! Just pointing out CM will not officially support our device due to this. Dialing zero is fine for me, just hope i am not laying down with no life's breathe while someone else is dialing 911 with my phone, lol.

No 911 can be dangerous but its always a good idea to have the local police department in the phonebook

kingsway8605

Apr 26, 2010
This is stupid, there are a ton of phone services that do not support 911. Just let the user know that it won't work for 911 upfront. If you are relying on a cell phone for 911 you are doing it wrong anyway, especially with Sprint's network. Don't all the cell networks put disclaimers in their terms saying "don't rely on this for emergencies." I don't believe even google voice supports 911 (could be wrong on this).

I suspect this is more likely the cyan devs playing chicken with Samsung for the radio source.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

cordell12

Sep 22, 2010
Dayton, TX
I requested EG30 modem.bin a while back. I told them about the EG31 tar that sprint had and was using, setting users to EG31. Then I explained how the EK02 update was failing due to the modem being a delta and not a full modem. So I requested EG30 modem.bin in full, not source, just the modem.bin itself. Here is the response I got...

Copy/Paste

[SAMSUNG OSRC COMMENTS DELIVERY NOTIFICATION]

♦ classification : Mobile Phone ♦
♦ model name : SPH-D710 ♦

Dear Customer,

Thank you for your interest in our product.

modem.bin could contain other company`s technology, proprietary information, etc.
So we only publish Open source code covered under license which has obligation of publishing source code.(ex. GPL, LGPL, MPL...etc) It would be appreciated if you can understand our situation.

Please accept our apology for not being able to handle your request up to your satisfaction.

Thank you.

Sincerely yours,

End Copy/Paste

I didnt ask for the source, just EG30 modem.bin

cordell12

Sep 22, 2010
Dayton, TX
Not to bump my own thread, but I just found THIS, a piece of code in CM's Gerrit called "Fix emergency dialing on Samsung CDMA phones" Its is for the Epic 4G, but says it may be useful to other devices as well! :)