Suprise! No root/no pc, ADB on fire stick itself to enable IceBox/Shizuku/.........

jjccblws

Mar 21, 2019
HI! Have a big suprise for you! Maybe you knew that, but it's useful for new users like me!
For the fire stick 4k hasn't been rooted, there is not xposed or magisk, and the only way to make fun of it is adb. For example, the Icebox app, the shizuku app, app ops, my android tools.........those apps could be activated by the shizuku app. But first of all, you need a PC to adb the fire stick and activate shizuku everytime you reboot fire stick. It is inconvenient.
So how to adb without PC? Ennnn.....with termux app you can adb the devices itself!!!!!!! And you can activate some apps, those apps could only be activated by adb link.
How to do:
1. install termux
2. install adb tools on termux:
it's on this website:https://github.com/MasterDevX/Termux-ADB thanks for MasterDevX!!!!
you can use this code to install:
apt update > /dev/null 2>&1 && apt --assume-yes install wget > /dev/null 2>&1 && wget https://github.com/MasterDevX/Termux-ADB/raw/master/InstallTools.sh -q && bash InstallTools.sh
3. in the termux, input:
adb devices
then the adb authorize window would pop up, select yes.(in fact, the device want to adb you device is the device itself :laugh::laugh:)
you could see :"emulator-5554 device"
then, in the termux, input:
adb shell sh /sdcard/Android/data/moe.shizuku.privileged.api/files/start.sh
this could enable shizuku app. Once the shizuku is activated, it could activate the IceBox/app ops /myandroidtools.......
open the shizuku app, it would say:"running".
All done!
4. if you reboot or plug the charger out, you need do this again.
5. when you leave the termux, input "exit" with the return be pressed 2 times. So the code you input would be remembered by termux. Next time you just need the Arrow keys(upside or downside) to repeat the codes.

Notice:
I think the adb authorization of the fire stick is not very good. For many times(on wifi adb), there is no window pop up. So I could only adb with usb line. Maybe for the first time adb with termux, there is no authorize window pop up on fire TV, and the termux would say "emulator-5554 unauthorized". This is how I solve the problem:
open and close and open the adb debugging in settings.
if it didn't work:
Use otg to connect the fire stick to another android phone.
Repeat the termux steps above on both side. Then the authorize window would pop up when you input "adb devices" in termux on both side.
Disconnect. Normally boot up the fire stick, adb itself.

Last edited:

jjccblws

Mar 21, 2019
What is ****duku and icebux? What are you rambling about?
No one is rambling.
For the fans of android, we know that the Icebox is an app to freeze the apps you don't like, even the system apps.
No root, so you need use adb or the shizuku app to enable Icebox.And there is no "****" in the "shizuku".
Sharing experiences with other is a happy thing. And that is why we come to the XDA.If you dont like it, no one can force you to. But please respect the work of others.

Reactions: VittorM

jjccblws

Mar 21, 2019
Sounds like chinese crypto mining malware. Hard pass. Good luck with that though.
hahahahahaha:laugh::Dfirst time to hear that. All the apps above you can find in the google store. The point is how to use termux adb the device itself. Hardly I can find any useful things about this on the internet.But for a unroot device adb is important to do something root-like.
Enjoy it.

tinybilbo

Aug 25, 2011
hahahahahaha:laugh::Dfirst time to hear that. All the apps above you can find in the google store. The point is how to use termux adb the device itself. Hardly I can find any useful things about this on the internet.But for a unroot device adb is important to do something root-like.
Enjoy it.
Thanks for pointer to Shizuku Manager, It's exactly what I was looking for to enable IceBox.
Now I can disable all those amazon processes on my (new) Firestick 4K without the need to root...
I had actually asked how to do this on another thread!

jjccblws

Mar 21, 2019
@tinybilbo
So glad you like it! :)
Adb the device itself is such a simple but useful thing, but hardly I can find any useful informations on the internet. That is strange ....

Last edited:

jjccblws

Mar 21, 2019
Can we use the Shizuku (with Icebox) to 'freeze' OTA updates? I'd like to stay on the current version if I wanted to actually root later.
yeah,I think so. I froze Alexa(the amazon's siri), and when I press voice button on the remote, threre is nothing show up on TV. The progress was frozen.
I think it can stop the ota, too.

tinybilbo

Aug 25, 2011
Can we use the Shizuku (with Icebox) to 'freeze' OTA updates? I'd like to stay on the current version if I wanted to actually root later.
Well... every app I froze has definitely stopped and persists across reboots (even the main launcher "FTVLauncher"), So from my experience I would say "yes" :)

Last edited:
Reactions: kgirlx

tinybilbo

Aug 25, 2011
which command did you use to disable the launcher? It's the only reason I'm missing root lol.
I didn't use any adb commands to freeze the launcher...
I used the Shizuku manager (read the OP on how to do this) to enable Icebox - which is an Appfreezer ( I also need the mousetoggle.apk since icebox works best with a mouse).
Once Icebox was working I froze the FTVlauncher.apk, just be aware when you freeze the main launcher you lose access to the FTV settings.
Just re-enable FTVlauncher to get it back.

jjccblws

Mar 21, 2019
There are 15 replies on this threads in total and you replied 3 times.
These are you posts:

06-04-2019
What is ****duku and icebux? What are you rambling about?
06-04-2019
Sounds like chinese crypto mining malware. Hard pass. Good luck with that though.
19-04-2019
Well the title is certainly misleading it says no PC but this cannot be done without a PC epic fail
What's wrong with you? How can you make such irresponsible remarks? You are the one who repeatedly humiliate others just for your own mistake and bad attitude. Say it again, it's you are the one who treat others un-friendly, bitterly and sarcasticly at first, and untill now. Yes, I did replied you straightforwardly at first, not for my self-esteem, but for your groundless accusations.
Xda is a friendly forum for all the fans of android. Are you a developer or a programmer? Do you know geek's life is simple and beautiful but the life of intrigue against each other is very tired? I replied you carefully like to anyone else in XDA, untill now.Because I just found what you do is to ruin my thread, mislead other readers, and just for take your own personal revenge.
The only reason I come here is to learn, and share all I know to help other people. But you never rest.
So please stop that.
I think we should be careful of what we do, for God is above and won't be so easy-fooled just like me, or some other people.

Last edited:

TimmyP

Mar 5, 2008
stfu with the god ****

heres a fact: there is no god and if there was, this piece of **** up in the sky wouldnt want you running around saying things like "for god is above"

lol god wow get real

Reactions: dave157