[Surface RT/2] Windows 10 ARM, Written Tutorial and Video* (External Site)

Did this help you?

• Yes!

Votes: 11 100.0%
  • Maybe?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

EduardoRdz

Jul 6, 2014
do not work for me

good day to all

The whole procedure was ok but when I finished installing windows 10 it did not start, it only took me to recovery again and again,
I had to go back to the step of installing patched windows rt 8.1 and, from there, with a recovery image reinstalling the original win rt. ..
I hope to encourage myself to try the process again and see if it works this time.
thanks for the tutorial and the necessary tools :eek:

jaro 1069

Oct 23, 2020
diskpart exit ..then problem
I have followed your directions and ran into a problem. After diskpart> exit (enter)
Yours shows x:\Sources
Mine shows
x:Windows\system32>
Where is my issue? I am on Windows 8.1. Do I need to go back to 8.0?
Appreciate your time

mines says this too and i cant get past here what do i do to fix this?????

---------- Post added at 08:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:33 PM ----------

I have followed your directions and ran into a problem. After diskpart> exit (enter)
Yours shows x:\Sources
Mine shows
x:Windows\system32>
Where is my issue? I am on Windows 8.1. Do I need to go back to 8.0?
Appreciate your time
I have this same problem

---------- Post added at 09:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:41 PM ----------

every time i try to install the patched Windows RT image it just errors out...

alibabahck

Jan 16, 2008
Hello,
Thanks for the tuto and the video
I went through the instructions but after applying the win 10 image, the boot will lead to automatic repair.
Trying the reset, show only 8.1 in the list of operating systems
Did I mess up in the process ? Should I start over again ?

Thanks
I had exactly the same issue. If you work out what it was let us know.

alibabahck

Jan 16, 2008
Hello,
Thanks for the tuto and the video
I went through the instructions but after applying the win 10 image, the boot will lead to automatic repair.
Trying the reset, show only 8.1 in the list of operating systems
Did I mess up in the process ? Should I start over again ?

Thanks
I found a solution to this issue in one of the comments to the Youtube tutorial.

Basically the steps are:
  • Reinstall the Windows 8.1 image used to disable secure boot previously.
  • Create a fresh recoverty disk using the hacked version of Windows 8.1 then copy the Windows 10 image to it.
  • Make sure that you set it aside and don't use it to transfer any other files for example to disable secure boot.
  • Go through the process of disabling secure boot again.
  • Reinstall the Windows 10 image

After this I didn't have any problems. Actually Windows 10 exceeded my expections. Microsoft Edge is much faster than Internet Explorer. Quite a few useful apps were able to be installed even my printer which previously didn't work with Windows RT now works.

Many thanks to Alexenferman for setting out these clear instructions and also to those who provided the original images.

durandm

Sep 6, 2008
A big thank you to Alexenferman !!!
I was wondering about throwing this Windows RT Tablet. Thanks to you it has a new life !
The installation was not so simple :). I tried the full procedure once, but when booting for Windows 10, it failed miserably directly at startup (error 0xc000000d if I remember correctly). I suspect this was because I used a SSD instead of a SD card for all the installation process (or maybe I missed a step).
Anyway, I succeeded in restoring the original W8.1 RT (painfully ; I had to remove all the partitions, but it worked eventually).
Then, I redid the full procedure again, carefully, with an external USB SD Card. It worked like a charm !

And I have just added my printer (Epson XP 950), which would have been just impossible with W8.1 RT.
Thanks again !

Brick.top41

Nov 10, 2020
Hi there,

I'm trying to install on a surface 2 but I'm having two problems.

1 - I can't change the language from Chinese to any other, which turns the process to a real pain :eek:

2 - I don't have the option to "Run as an administrator" for the file "Disabling_UAC.reg"
but I do have it for the file "InstallPolicy.cmd"

noahw

Jul 11, 2010
I'm having an issue with accepting the secure boot policy. Every time my run the CMD file and reboot I am presented with the dialog to accept, but there is no option to select Accept, only to press F3. Is there a way to fix this?

alibabahck

Jan 16, 2008
Windows 10 IoT

I was wondering now that I have Windows 10 version 1703 installed on my Surface RT if it is possible to update the version by using the Windows 10 IoT image. Version 1809 is available for Windows 10 IoT and is available for armv7. There are quite a few limitations using such an old version of Windows 10. My Microsoft account settings are playing up so if I were to mess around it would be a good time to do it now.

RafaelZBr

Jul 31, 2017
i know this guide is for surfaces but i tried to install on a lumia 2520, i got stuck on disable uac part, it gives an error 0xc000000d, i tried the others steps for the 0f error but i get same 0d error, there is any other way or files to disable the uac?

N4CH

Feb 15, 2021
Hi guys, i have followed all the steps on this threads but after installing the windows 10 , some uwp windows apps can't open and i tried to reset the tablet just to re install everything .The tablet rebooted and it stuck on the surface logo with a "PLEASE WAIT" message wich last more than an hour after that , a thermometer icon appeared on the screen and then the tablet power off itself , now it can't boot up anymore.

i have some idea , i think if i deconnect the battery from the tablet for some time and reconnect it again it would boot up....
i want some advice about your experiences and your knowledges with this tablet....

balazga

Mar 22, 2011
Hello,
I'd like to get some help.
Seems I messed up the installation on my Surface2.
I reached to Part3:Disabling Secureboot, but it resulted: "Issue 2: Test mode". I followed the steps there, did the mounting and EFI copy.
When I restarted, it went straight to boot loop.
So I followed "Issue 3: Error 0xc0000225, 0xc000000f or Surface Logo after modifying the EFI" and did the rebuildbcd.
However, the boot loot won' disapper, no matter what I tried.
I prepped a new recovery disk for going back to 8.1, but this is no success either, the boot loop continues.
In the recovery, when I select to analyzie and fix boot issues, the created log file (SrtTrail.txt) shows the following:
"Boot manager is missing or corrupt"
"Repair action: File Repair"
"Result: Failed. Error code = 0x241".
Any chance this could somehow be fixed?
Appreciate any help.
Thanks,
g.

balazga

Mar 22, 2011
Hello,
I'd like to get some help.
Seems I messed up the installation on my Surface2.
I reached to Part3:Disabling Secureboot, but it resulted: "Issue 2: Test mode". I followed the steps there, did the mounting and EFI copy.
When I restarted, it went straight to boot loop.
So I followed "Issue 3: Error 0xc0000225, 0xc000000f or Surface Logo after modifying the EFI" and did the rebuildbcd.
However, the boot loot won' disapper, no matter what I tried.
I prepped a new recovery disk for going back to 8.1, but this is no success either, the boot loop continues.
In the recovery, when I select to analyzie and fix boot issues, the created log file (SrtTrail.txt) shows the following:
"Boot manager is missing or corrupt"
"Repair action: File Repair"
"Result: Failed. Error code = 0x241".
Any chance this could somehow be fixed?
Appreciate any help.
Thanks,
g.
managed to restore 8.1

N4CH

Feb 15, 2021
Hi guys, i have followed all the steps on this threads but after installing the windows 10 , some uwp windows apps can't open and i tried to reset the tablet just to re install everything .The tablet rebooted and it stuck on the surface logo with a "PLEASE WAIT" message wich last more than an hour after that , a thermometer icon appeared on the screen and then the tablet power off itself , now it can't boot up anymore.

i have some idea , i think if i deconnect the battery from the tablet for some time and reconnect it again it would boot up....
i want some advice about your experiences and your knowledges with this tablet....
I have it fixed now, after searching around the web , i find out that if the tablet has enough power , just push the power button multiples times at once and then push it like you used to do when opening it , it will boot.

for the uwp apps , just connect to the web via wifi , and open each apps one by one and let them load themselves (i think they grab some info about the apps signature to verify them) and after a fews moments the apps will open normally without closing.

and the activation code and scripts didn't work for me the server is down, i already actived the windows via a cmd batch file wich connected to the internet to find a working kms server to activate the OS
here is the link ----> https://gist.github.com/okreka/31f0827523e8da00cf6369751dc9b599

guaccioly

Feb 23, 2021
Hey Guys! hope you're doing fine.

So today I just managed to install windows10 on my SurfaceRT, however, the function that I was hoping that would be working, miracast, is not. The main reason I bought this tablet was for the possibility (at that time I though i had it easily) to use the surface RT as a second screen for my main pc(lenovo yoga).

I still didn't get my hands in any procedure/app that can do that on the RT. so far I tried Splashtop (which work on both, but only mirrors the screen) and spacedesk html5 version. Any chance there is an alternative???

I'm very bad at coding and so on, otherwise I'd try to port spacedesk or smth similar myself.

Hope you guys can help me!!