• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[SVC] Sleuth's myLocation Service: your phone always knows where it is!

Does myLocation work for you?

• Yes

Votes: 21 61.8%
  • No

Votes: 13 38.2%

• Total voters
Search This thread

Sleuth255

Retired Senior Moderator
Mar 3, 2006
Milwaukee
blog.kwilcox.org
It seems like websites and online services are popping up everywhere that can use location to give you more relevant information. Accuweather and others feature location aware weather sites and Google Maps can accept coordinate information to return location aware search results. Of course, with positional awareness comes controversy. Many emerging strategies are "push based" which means that your location is automatically (and perhaps secretly) pushed out to the Internet to maintain relevance. I don't agree with this architecture and in many ways, this project is an attempt to provide an alternative that gives you the benefits of location relevance while protecting your anonymity.

myLocation is a foundation service that simply stores position data, updated every 10 seconds, in the registry. This data is yours to use. You can choose how you want to leverage it. In the application/games forum, I'll build on this service with applications that give you location aware weather & search tools. Hopefully others will too.

myLocation v1.2 is available.

ChangeLog
v1.2
Obtained fix has GPS accuracy when Mach2003's GpsModDriver v2.2 or > is installed and active (a program is using the mod driver com port). This version of the driver hasn't been released as of April 5 2010 but expect it soon. The application thread is here: Gps Mod Driver Thread
v1.1
Fixed scroll error on control panel app when SIP is raised
Improved the tower caching algorithm. myLocation accesses the data connection even less now.
Having an issue where the service won't stay disabled after a reset? The fix is here.

mylocationscreenshots.png

Thread navigation

Initial Alpha Testers discussion starts here
myLocation Beta v1.0 discussion starts here
myLocation Beta v1.1 discussion starts here
myLocation Beta v1.2 discussion starts here
myLocation v1.0 discussion starts here
myLocation v1.1 discussion starts here
myLocation v1.2 discussion starts here

The myLocation service stores your phone's current latitude and longitude in HKLM\Services\myLocation. Based on cell tower ID's, myLocation is accurate to within 1-3KM.

Why is this cool?

myLocation uses almost zero power.
your phone's position is updated every 10 seconds
myLocation's data plan requirements are measured in bytes and can be monitored.
Latitude and Longitude are stored as string values for easy manipulation by scripts etc.

Device compatibility:

HTC GSM Touch/PocketPC are the only supported devices at this time. I've tested all the way back to WM5 on a TyTN (some font issues on the cpl dialog)
TMobile USA service is not supported at this time either. TMO USA tower positions haven't been loaded into Google's web service yet.

In short: If Google Maps Mobile doesn't work correctly in cell tower mode on your device, then this service won't either. there may be cases where GMM does work but myLocation does not. I'm interested to know about these cases.

Installation Notes

If you already have myLocation installed, disable the service using the control panel applet before installing this version. If you are running a very old beta without a control panel applet, uninstall myLocation and reset your device before installing v1.0. After installing, use the myLocation Control panel applet (installed in the System folder) to start the myLocation service. Alternatively, you can reset your device.

Developer Notes

myLocation's position data is stored in HKLM\Services\myLocation
"Latitude" is a string value containing a 6 decimal precision latitude. Negative = south latitude
"Longitude" is a string value containing a 6 decimal precision longitude. Negative = West longitude

If you throw an error loading these values or opening the myLocation Key itself then myLocation isn't installed. You can either default or throw an error pointing to the installer thread. My apps default to Island Pond VT just for grins.

Sleuth's myLocation aware applications

myRadar shows animated radar images of the weather around your current location. Works on all screen resolutions. Map scrolling is gesture enabled on WM6.5 and some WM6.0. Its "flickable" :) Currently only US weather services are enabled due to the free nature of NOAA weather services there. I'm working on others though.

mySearch is a fast, finger friendly application that uses Microsoft Bing's mobile search site to return location aware searches.

Need Sushi? type "sushi" in and press search. List returned is ordered by closest
Running low on gas? yep: type in "gas station".
Trying to find your closest bank branch? type in the name of your bank and press search.

Of course, Bing is smart enough to know when the location info sent to it has relevance, so it also works great as a general purpose tool for searches that don't have location relevance. Check out the application thread for screenshots of this.

Showaco's Titanium Weather update

Do you use this CHome plugin? If you do, here's a replacement script that uses myLocation position data!

Note to current users: I've updated the script due to the fact that the rainmeter service was discontinued by AccuWeather on March 15th 2010. I now do a reverse geolocate from Google to find zipcode from lat/long then send it to the original webservice. This should insure a more permanent solution.

If your TitaniumWeather is no longer working, then follow the instructions below to fix

How to install:
1. Download Sleuth's titaniumweather.mscr
2. Copy to \program files\TitaniumWeather
3. Run a full update.

This script will use myLocation data if the registry keys exist, otherwise it will use location information defined in the setup program.

Coming Soon!

myConfiguration, a location aware device configuration changer. Define locations then configure custom sounds, notifications, and online services for each.

Don't like email buzzing while at home? No problem! Want WiFi enabled at work but off everywhere else? Use myConfiguration.

Last edited:

Oct 6, 2007
Desert Rat
Do you need to have a data plan or internet connection to use this application, and will we get service charge through our phone carrier for using this application?

Thank you for your contribution:)

S.V.I

my location service will not work with T-Mobile US 3G

I have already discussed this with TMO-US tech support. My Location service will not work with 3G, it will work while connected to GPRS/EDGE. Not sure what the problem is. the cell towers are not registered. I just tried your service, but it returned the same values as GoogleMaps puts me in Chelsea hotel in NYC, while I am actually about 400 miles away.

I am sure that it will work if I disable 3G and switch to GPRS/EDGE.

Sleuth255

Retired Senior Moderator
Mar 3, 2006
Milwaukee
blog.kwilcox.org
Do you need to have a data plan or internet connection to use this application, and will we get service charge through our phone carrier for using this application?

Thank you for your contribution:)

Yes, you need a data plan. the program sends out 50 bytes to a web service and receives about 20 bytes back. There is no operator based service charge other than what you would normally incur by sending out/receiving that much information over your data connection.

Last edited:

Sleuth255

Retired Senior Moderator
Mar 3, 2006
Milwaukee
blog.kwilcox.org
I have already discussed this with TMO-US tech support. My Location service will not work with 3G, it will work while connected to GPRS/EDGE. Not sure what the problem is. the cell towers are not registered. I just tried your service, but it returned the same values as GoogleMaps puts me in Chelsea hotel in NYC, while I am actually about 400 miles away.

I am sure that it will work if I disable 3G and switch to GPRS/EDGE.

Hmmm... working in 3G here. Since my app is throwing the same invalid data as GMM, I'm guessing its a database issue. TMO may not be providing correct location information for their newer 3G towers.

khaytsus

Apr 8, 2008
Central Kentucky
This is such a great idea, if we can get wide support for it this will be great for no-power estimated location for things which don't require exact locations, as you say weather, even paired with some other tool could be used as a tracking device. I have something I've ran for a long time which uploads my cell-based location to a web service, something like that could use this etc..

Works just fine on my Tilt 2, standard ATT ROM, created the key and it wrote the coordinates, etc.. 1800 feet from my current location.

pkoper

Oct 15, 2006
NRW
Works fine with O2 in Germany (Edge).
Location is about 4 miles off, but it's where the actual tower is and where google believes I am.

jmmmmm

Dec 29, 2008
If we could get a more robust search app that we could run all the time and have it automatically update so that ANYTIME I looked at it, it had the current yellowpages search results for every business within a half mile (or some user definable range) that I am in. This would be awesome!