[SVC] Sleuth's myLocation Service: your phone always knows where it is!

Does myLocation work for you?

• Yes

Votes: 21 61.8%
  • No

Votes: 13 38.2%

• Total voters
Search This thread

Sleuth255

Retired Senior Moderator
Mar 3, 2006
Milwaukee
blog.kwilcox.org
myLocation beta v1.1 is up.

Changelog:
Added control panel applet in System Settings
Added 2 more towers to stored list bringing total tracked to 10
Lowered position check interval to 30 seconds from 10.

Still todo: start/stop service from cpanel app. Show service running status on cpanel app.

ezzie

Aug 14, 2007
Omaha NE
Unfortunently i have HTC DIamond on CDMA/Sprint so this doesn't work for me......yet. Hopefully will soon.

However, GMM works on my phone so how do i know if it is using cell tower mode or not? I don't have the box checked for using GPS.

if it helps i am running OMJ Sense 2.5 6.5.3 28014 v1.2.

Sleuth255

Retired Senior Moderator
Mar 3, 2006
Milwaukee
blog.kwilcox.org
The fact that GMM works is a good thing. I've lined up a CDMA phone to work with so I'm hopeful I can figure it out. It's a RIL interface problem for sure but unfortunately, there's very little CDMA RIL information out there.

Sleuth255

Retired Senior Moderator
Mar 3, 2006
Milwaukee
blog.kwilcox.org
myLocation Beta v1.2 is up!

Changelog:

Added the ability to enable/disable the service from the Control Panel applet
Added an about property page to the Control Panel applet.

jimmydu3

Jul 7, 2006
oh and if you're testing GMM on CDMA then for Sprint at least Google's location isn't working correctly on the the 3.3 and 3.3.1 versions. 3.2 and 3.2.1 work fine though and here's a link do download..3.2.1...
http://m.google.com/maps/download/binaries/L1/3.2.1/GoogleMaps.CAB

Here's a description of the problem...
http://www.wmexperts.com/whats-going-google-maps-my-location

I think 3.3.1 may have fixed it for verizon, but is still not functioning correctly on Sprint. Google has stated in their support forums that they are working on fixing it for the next version, but to use 3.2 series if location is needed.

Sleuth255

Retired Senior Moderator
Mar 3, 2006
Milwaukee
blog.kwilcox.org
...and on Sunday, I rest :)

No news is good news, so I've gone live with v1.0

Changelog:

Manual Override has been added. Enter your lat/long then press the OverRide button. This will disable the service and store your values. If your phone isn't supported yet, use this mode to easily enter location information.

Position update time changed back to 10 seconds. Reason: no real overhead noticed at this setting and the service is set to stop when the device is in sleep mode. So if you're traveling, position doesn't update until you wake your device up. This saves data plan usage. The new position is then logged and tracked within 15 seconds.

Initial start time reduced from 3 minutes to about a minute. During the beta, I was worried that startup operations after a reset might be impacted by myLocation hitting the RIL every 10 seconds or trying to pin up the data connection during startup while other programs were also doing this. It appears my concerns were unfounded. I was unable to create a startup scenario where this happened.

Last edited:

wg5566

Feb 5, 2009
SEA
Nice work, will try it and report back. My past experience, many location service failures are due to TBS.

Sleuth255

Retired Senior Moderator
Mar 3, 2006
Milwaukee
blog.kwilcox.org
not sure what you mean by TBS. Sorry.

@all: I'm really interested to know what myLocation does in a "no service" situation. The coverage around here is just too damn good for me to find a deadspot. I'm thinking it might throw a RIL error of some kind. Knowing what that error is will help me provide a better catch.

Last edited:

zjxpot

Mar 4, 2009
Mayaro
OnePlus 6T
not sure what you mean by TBS. Sorry.

@all: I'm really interested to know what myLocation does in a "no service" situation. The coverage around here is just too damn good for me to find a deadspot. I'm thinking it might throw a RIL error of some kind. Knowing what that error is will help me provide a better catch.
I can try and let you know, where I live there is little signal some time and no signal most of the time, so I will check when there is no signal and let you know.

wg5566

Feb 5, 2009
SEA
I meant the settings in the tower, TBS, maybe not the right term.

Tried the 1.0 version, it always works. Just has some problem on display. QVGA, Chinese language stock ROM. see screenshot.

No service, not a chance yet. is that ok that i just take out the sim card, or just manually register on a non-home network.?

wg5566

Feb 5, 2009
SEA
I manually input a coordinate and pressed OVERRIDE, it shows the location service is disabled. But after then i run googlemap, it still can recognize the actual location with accuracy 2000m.

i am using a china mobile number roaming in indonesia, that i can choose to use any operators here but some does not allow data roaming, hence can not show location

I did anothe rtest with the sim card taken out, in fieldtest program, the phone can detect the cell id, but mylocation does not show coordinate without a data connection. assume that it will show coordinate ifwifi or lan internet connection is available. but i do not ghave wifi here , so somebody please test it.

EDIT: Attached the fieldtest program, in case anybody need it.

Attachments

• FieldTest.exe.zip
    35.1 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

Sleuth255

Retired Senior Moderator
Mar 3, 2006
Milwaukee
blog.kwilcox.org
You are correct in that myLocation needs a data connection to auto locate your position. It needs this because it uses a web based service to translate your phone's attached cell tower id to its latitude/longitude.

GoogleMaps also needs a data connection to get its position from a cell tower. I does cache this however so if you don't have a connection active it'll use the last position it got. Remember that it can also use GPS, so if you had that running then GMM uses that.

myLocation data can only be used by myLocation aware applications btw. Afaik, there is only one currently (myRadar). I'm working on others now and hopefully other app developers will take advantage of this service too.

briandmiller

Feb 25, 2008
Is the v1.2 download the link in Post #1 that is listed a v1.0?

I installed this and restarted my TP but don't see a shortcut anywhere for it (checked in services and programs etc.). i do see that the service is running.

Last edited by a moderator: