Swap memory disabler

Search This thread

Daved+

May 25, 2008
I made this Magisk Module for Oreo to see if I could reduce the lag

Check and share your results

PS: I'm going to push updates to the SSSB tg channel more likely than here

PS2: Someome mentioned me a module in the repo after I made this, I tried and it made my phone stuck at boot logo.

Attachments

• photo_2019-04-23_20-44-47.jpg
    photo_2019-04-23_20-44-47.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 1,029
  • Daved-v20-Swap-Disabler-v01.zip
    5.1 KB · Views: 433
Last edited:

Daved+

May 25, 2008
For those who are not into this, taken from RAM Truth:

Using swap increases your CPU usage, especially with zram where constant compression and decompression is going on (like using zip files on your PC), and is rarely beneficial on modern devices. Despite this, it's made a resurgence in the market.

Swap - A virtual memory scheme to increase your apparent total RAM. Unless you installed a modification to put this in storage, if you have swap you probably have a compressed block of RAM (called zram) acting as a virtual hard disk for this.

Users with rooted devices can very probably find kernel helpers or mods to let you change or turn off swap.

zinou213

Mar 28, 2012
France
LG V20
ASUS ROG Phone II

PS2: Someome mentioned me a module in the repo after I made this, I tried and it made my phone stuck at boot logo.

Just want to know the TG channel link, to stay up to date, thank you for the work it increase performances a bit .

jl10101

Jan 16, 2012
Samsung Galaxy S10+
Thanks for this - been running it for a week and all is good.
I wanted to check in for updates, but not sure where / what the SSSB Telegram channel is?
Anyway you could link a new version?

alpha-niner64

Mar 7, 2011
Thanks Daved+. Module does exactly what it was suppose to do. It saves me one less line in App2SD or Kernel Adiutor when disabling ZRAM.

For people reading. ZRAM is a compromise between increased multitasking and performance. The informations are clear as to how Swap partition works. It is up to you to decide what is more important to you.

KUSOsan

Jul 21, 2013
Has this truly reduced lag?
I ask since there's mixed views online about disabling swap.
Depends on the firmware. Disabling swap made my H918 more snappy for sure on both Nougat and Oreo, but when I had my V30 disabling it actually made it worst. Definitely a try and see. Also Swap torpedo on the magisk repo does this same exact thing just FYI for people wanting to know.

ezzony

Jul 4, 2012
Dublin
Ex Kernel manager has this function as well. I turned off zram which takes a few minutes, prolly a reboot would be quicker. Didn't observe any major change but I didn't test it exhaustively so turned it back on. I don't like changing things when I don't fully understand what's going on. I don't have any lag now anyway, nothing like it was when I used it in stock form anyway.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Just want to know the TG channel link, to stay up to date, thank you for the work it increase performances a bit .
    Info is in my sig

BTW I'm using this in Nougat with excellent results.
    Kernel auditor have this function too in Virtual memory. Thing is i don't know the right settings to use
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone