• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

How To Guide Switch from EEA to Global (or other region) without unlocking bootloader

Search This thread

Areasu

Oct 23, 2021
Hello Community,

I wanted to make this post because there is some wrong information or insufficient information regarding that switching regions betweens roms requires you to unlock the bootloader.
I found a way it works, I updated from MIUI 12.5.2.0 EEA to 12.5.4.0 (then to 12.5.5.0 ota) Global Stable using XiaomiToolV2 (unofficial Tool).

These are the following Steps:

1. Download XiaomiToolV2
2. I did download the rom from https://xiaomifirmwareupdater.com/miui/vayu/ (while the tool checks the files integrity, download with your own risk)
3. Enable Developer Options and then USB Debugging
4. Open XiomiToolV2 and select your device first, then follow the instructions and after that boot to recovery and select MiAssistant
5. In XiomiToolV2 select Local MIUI/Rom Option and add your file (Incase it doesnt allow you to add the file put the in file name and open)
6. It should verify the file now and pushes it on the device (this can take a while, be patient and dont restart the device on your own
After reaching 100% the phone should reboot automatically to the system

I hope it did work out for you

fzzt

Feb 23, 2021
Hi @Areasu, when you switch regions using this method, does it wipe your data? I relock bootloader using std oem method after flashing rom of different region, data is always wiped.

jarco1

Jul 25, 2016
So you do not need to unlock the bootloader? I understand that XiomiToolV2 is to be installed on the computer and the phone should be connected to the computer, right?

Areasu

Oct 23, 2021
So you do not need to unlock the bootloader? I understand that XiomiToolV2 is to be installed on the computer and the phone should be connected to the computer, right?
Yes, but in the tool the option Official Xiaomi Rom it tells me *Requirements: Unlocked Bootloader*. But when I use Local ZIP File method it works.
I see you had ghost touch issue, some people said it disappeared on 12.5.5.0

jarco1

Jul 25, 2016
I understand that you have updated MIUI 12.5.2.0 EEA to 12.5.4.0 with xiaomitoolv2 and the update to 12.5.5.0 appeared on the phone just like that?

jarco1

Jul 25, 2016
It may also be possible to download 12.5.4.0 Global to the phone and install via ota through the option select the update package

jarco1

Jul 25, 2016
I was able to install rom Global 12.5.5.0 as you wrote, except that I had to do wipe data because the system would not start and it kept going back to recovery. Only after the wipe date did it work

SuperTort0ise

Oct 25, 2021
Thank you so much for posting this, it was really fast and easy to understand. I really didn't want to be on EU but thought I'd have to unlock bootloader and wipe my data so I'm glad this worked. (^‿^)

Ps: I used the recovery rom not the fastboot rom maybe you should specify what you used.

Areasu

Oct 23, 2021
Thank you so much for posting this, it was really fast and easy to understand. I really didn't want to be on EU but thought I'd have to unlock bootloader and wipe my data so I'm glad this worked. (^‿^)

Ps: I used the recovery rom not the fastboot rom maybe you should specify what you used.
I used the recovery rom too

Areasu

Oct 23, 2021
Okay from what I understand fastboot might wipe your data so I just wanted to make sure people don't get the wrong one and lose all their data.
I think yes, recovery didnt wipe my data. Im not even sure if fastboot roms from other regions will allow flash. This guide is only for flashing recovery roms from different regions. (google says fastboot rom requires unlocked bootloader)

Last edited: