• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Switch internal and external memory card

Search This thread

ZaYAC-ua

Jan 21, 2010
Dneprodzerzhinsk

Mount the external SD in place internal SD.

Option for editing via Root Explorer
  1. Go to the folder "System" to set it right R / W.
  2. Find the file "build.prop" and open it as a text.
  3. Find the line "persist.fuse_sdcard = true" (in the middle of the file)
  4. Change the "true" to "false". It turns out "persist.fuse_sdcard = false"
  5. Save and exit. To turn off the simulation data / media on the internal SD
  6. Go to the folder "/ system / etc" and find the file "vold.fstab"
  7. Separates it as text.
  8. Find the line "dev_mount sdcard / storage/sdcard1 auto / devices/platform/msm_sdcc.3/mmc_host"
  9. Change the "1" to "0"
  10. Add the line "dev_mount external / storage/sdcard1 auto / data / media"
  11. Save and exit. Now External SD card is mounted in place internal SD.
  12. Restart.

Option for editing via ADB
Line by trying to drive in the command line:
Enter only written in blue.

• adb shell
  • su !Get Root
  • mount-o remount, rw / system !Mount Systems
  • mv / system / build.prop / system / build.prop.old !Rename the build.prop in build.prop.old
  • cat / system / build.prop.old | grep-v persist.fuse_sdcard = true> / system / build.prop !Remove line persist.fuse_sdcard = true in build.prop.old and save as build.prop
  • echo "persist.fuse_sdcard = false" >> / system / build.prop !Adding line persist.fuse_sdcard = false in build.prop
  • chmod 755 / system / build.prop !Set permissions on the file build.prop
  • mv / system / etc / vold.fstab / system / etc / vold.fstab.old !Rename vold.fstab in vold.fstab.old
  • cat / system / etc / vold.fstab.old | grep-v "dev_mount sdcard / storage/sdcard1 auto / devices/platform/msm_sdcc.3/mmc_host"> / system / etc / vold.fstab !Remove line dev_mount sdcard / storage / sdcard1 auto / devices/platform/msm_sdcc.3/mmc_hos in vold.fstab.old and save as vold.fstab
  • echo "dev_mount sdcard / storage/sdcard0 auto / devices/platform/msm_sdcc.3/mmc_host" >> / system / etc / vold.fstab !Adding line dev_mount sdcard / storage/sdcard0 auto / devices/platform/msm_sdcc.3/mmc_host in vold.fstab
  • echo "dev_mount external / storage/sdcard1 auto / data / media" >> / system / etc / vold.fstab !Adding line dev_mount external / storage/sdcard1 auto / data / media in vold.fstab
  • chmod 644 / system / etc / vold.fstab !Set permissions on the file vold.fstab
You can also through the terminal emulator, but without the adb shell.

As for the line "dev_mount external / storage/sdcard1 auto / data / media" in "vold.fstab". Logically, the stick should be mounted inside the place outside, but it's not happening. How did you know the contents of the internal flash to be (always was) in "/ data / media".
Do you have a question:
- A sense of this line?
Answer: - If its not say when entering the settings / memory crash bug.
I tried to write a line in this form: "dev_mount external / storage/sdcard1 auto / devices/platform/msm_sdcc.1/mmc_host". As such, the phone sees the external SD card but says that it want to format. Formatting is not happening. In the setting of active memory item "Mount SD", but also the sense of it is zero. Perhaps this is because the kernel does not support flash file system ext4.
I decided that I do not need built-in memory as an external SDi decided to completely give it up for memory applications (data / app).

If you want to install in the internal SD as an external SD:
OR. Go to the terminal and drive a "su" then "mount-o bind / data / media / mnt/external1". With this method of memory will be mounted at up to reboot.
OR. Create a file with the following content:
HTML:
#!/system/bin/sh
busybox mount -o bind /data/media /mnt/external1
File Name: name
And open the file in the "SManager ads" put the mark on the "SU" and "Boot". The "Save" and "Run"
I tried to add a script in "/ system / etc / init.d" named "11mount" but he either did not run or he should run after loading the phone.

Be sure to download content from the "data / media" in "/ storage/sdcard0" as earlier in the "media" Many applications store their data, and now "media" is not available at "/ storage/sdcard0" as before.
I speak bad English and use "google translate". Original in Russian here.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-04-11-03-44-54.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-04-11-03-44-54.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 3,435
  • Screenshot_2013-04-11-03-45-13.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-04-11-03-45-13.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 3,253
  • Screenshot_2013-04-11-03-45-42.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-04-11-03-45-42.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 3,150

huatz84

Jul 10, 2009
Binjai,North Sumatra
This method works on my Atrix HD. Thanks a lot,ZaYAC-ua. I only did build.prop and vold.fstab edit. It's better than swapping via autorun script in init.d.

jb14813

Aug 2, 2012
Rochester
Google Pixel 2 XL
It seems to have worked however now i have this anoying message that says blank sd card and when i click on it it asks me to format it so i do but it still says blank sd card. I have a rooted Motorola RazrM stock rom. anyone have any ideas on how i can get this to go away?

johnny567

Sep 8, 2012
Riverton
help

First off thank you for this. I am having difficulty with adding the line in instruction 10. Where does that go and what should it look like when I'm do e? Thank you. I am running the current cm10 beta

Last edited:

johnny567

Sep 8, 2012
Riverton
Is it possible to do this on cm10.1 or is this mod just for jb 4.1.1-4.1.2

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app

N!TRO

Oct 6, 2011
Works Perfectly with ES File Explorer APP

7. Separates it as text.
  8. Find the line "dev_mount sdcard / storage/sdcard1 auto / devices/platform/msm_sdcc.3/mmc_host"
  9. Change the "1" to "0"
  12. Restart.

• adb shell
  • su !Get Root
  • mv / system / build.prop / system / build.prop.old !Rename the build.prop in build.prop.old
  • cat / system / build.prop.old | grep-v persist.fuse_sdcard = true> / system / build.prop !Remove line persist.fuse_sdcard = true in build.prop.old and save as build.prop
  • echo "persist.fuse_sdcard = false" >> / system / build.prop !Adding line persist.fuse_sdcard = false in build.prop
  • mv / system / etc / vold.fstab / system / etc / vold.fstab.old !Rename vold.fstab in vold.fstab.old
  • cat / system / etc / vold.fstab.old | grep-v "dev_mount sdcard / storage/sdcard1 auto / devices/platform/msm_sdcc.3/mmc_host"> / system / etc / vold.fstab !Remove line dev_mount sdcard / storage / sdcard1 auto / devices/platform/msm_sdcc.3/mmc_hos in vold.fstab.old and save as vold.fstab
  • echo "dev_mount sdcard / storage/sdcard0 auto / devices/platform/msm_sdcc.3/mmc_host" >> / system / etc / vold.fstab !Adding line dev_mount sdcard / storage/sdcard0 auto / devices/platform/msm_sdcc.3/mmc_host in vold.fstab
  • echo "dev_mount external / storage/sdcard1 auto / data / media" >> / system / etc / vold.fstab !Adding line dev_mount external / storage/sdcard1 auto / data / media in vold.fstab

As for the line "dev_mount external / storage/sdcard1 auto / data / media" in "vold.fstab". Logically, the stick should be mounted inside the place outside, but it's not happening. How did you know the contents of the internal flash to be (always was) in "/ data / media".
Do you have a question:
- A sense of this line?
I tried to write a line in this form: "dev_mount external / storage/sdcard1 auto / devices/platform/msm_sdcc.1/mmc_host". As such, the phone sees the external SD card but says that it want to format. Formatting is not happening. In the setting of active memory item "Mount SD", but also the sense of it is zero. Perhaps this is because the kernel does not support flash file system ext4.
I decided that I do not need built-in memory as an external SDi decided to completely give it up for memory applications (data / app).

OR. Go to the terminal and drive a "su" then "mount-o bind / data / media / mnt/external1". With this method of memory will be mounted at up to reboot.
HTML:
#!/system/bin/sh
And open the file in the "SManager ads" put the mark on the "SU" and "Boot". The "Save" and "Run"
I tried to add a script in "/ system / etc / init.d" named "11mount" but he either did not run or he should run after loading the phone.

Be sure to download content from the "data / media" in "/ storage/sdcard0" as earlier in the "media" Many applications store their data, and now "media" is not available at "/ storage/sdcard0" as before.

Firstly thanks to ZaYAC-ua I tried this mod with bad results my New Razr M XT905 Running Jellybean 4.1.2 had to be re flashed with stock rom twice!!!
Both times after modifying the files mentioned above phone wouldn't boot only showed Red Moto logo at start of boot then nothing!!!
But I did persist and eventually had success this only takes a few minutes and places your External sdcard at " sdcard0 " Allowing full use of your sd card for media apps etc.

FIRST DO NOT drag files from phone to PC modify them then place back on phone this corrupts files result no Boot!!
Second ROOT EXPLORER would not modify files no matter what I tried yes I,m aware of RO RW and so on.
Third Download ES FILE EXPLORER Brilliant APP for file access, connecting to your LAN and seamless transfer of files between Phone and PC
oh yes and Editing system files.

1. Open ES File Ex Go to & open folder "System" set to R / W.
( tap top left button little phone & half world globe, open " Tools " then open " Root Explorer " then " Mount R/W " check both " radio
buttons and OK. This may need repeating as you access other folders to modify files!
2. Find the file "build.prop" long press and open with ES Note Editor
3. Find the line "persist.fuse_sdcard = true" (about half way down file list)
4. Change the "true" to "false". Should look like this "persist.fuse_sdcard = false"
(To edit press 3 little dots top right corner and select edit, to save just back out of file should see a window asking to save changes)
5. To turn off the simulation " data / media " on the internal SD
6. Go to the folder "/ system / etc" and find the file " vold.fstab "
7. Long press and open as Text with ES Note Editor
8. Find the line "dev_mount sdcard /storage/sdcard1 auto /devices/platform/msm_sdcc.3/mmc_host"
9. Change the "1" to "0"
(To edit press 3 little dots top right corner and select edit, to save just back out of file should see a window asking to save changes)
10. Now add the following line below the one you just changed the 1 & 0 in, leaving a space between the two see pic below.
"dev_mount external /storage/sdcard1 auto /data/media" (Take note of spaces in this line it matters)
12. Restart.

I didn't understand how to make the old internal 4GB on the phone avaliable as external SD card as in ZaYAC-ua original post
bit above my skill level maybe someone else can shed some light on this one?
Hope this helps!!

Screenshot_2013-05-07-18-31-12.jpg

Screenshot_2013-05-07-18-41-44.jpg

Screenshot_2013-05-07-18-42-06.jpg

Reactions: silverel

goodayoo

Apr 13, 2013
I've try it, it will make the internal storage useless, so, it's not a perfect way.

ifrankie10

May 1, 2012
How do u get those words in the top left corner

Sent from my XT907 using xda app-developers app

N!TRO

Oct 6, 2011
I've try it, it will make the internal storage useless, so, it's not a perfect way.
No its not prefect but when I installed GTA3 and Pinball Arcade this left my phone totally useless 20M to store apps lol, personally I think a 4gb loss for a potential 30gb gain (32gb card) is a good trade off!!! Hopefully some one can show us how to make the 4gb available using ES FILE EXPLORER?

---------- Post added at 09:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:34 AM ----------

How do u get those words in the top left corner

Sent from my XT907 using xda app-developers app

Hey not sure which words you are referring to the only top left corner I guided you to is an icon of a phone and half a world globe tap it to open tools.:)

Ysharief

Aug 20, 2010
Bangalore
Is their any other way like creating a partition in sd card and converting it to internal memory, if it van succeeded the sd card will be no more useless after converting its partition as internal memory

Sent from my MT15i using xda premium

aviwdoowks

Sep 18, 2012
Awesome! What happens to the data on the internal memory? Usually photos etc r on there...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium

Some initial housekeeping is required. Then delete everything in mnt/storage1. As long as you do not do much with the ext unmounted there is never much there anymore.

BTW
Is there a good reason not to use this with CM based roms?

timmydafool

Sep 27, 2013
Ok I have tried to do this as my phone only has 2gb internal and filled up rediculously fast as i'm downloading maps and things on it and now i cannot do much of anything with it. When I arrive at the point of editing the vold.fstab file this is what i'm presented with:

Code:
# internal sdcard 
dev_mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard 28 /devices/platform/msm_sdcc.2/mmc_host/mmc1

# external sdcard
dev_mount external_sd /mnt/external_sd auto /devices/platform/msm_sdcc.4/mmc_host/mmc2

not sure what to change here so could use some help. I'm thinking change the 28 to auto so that it is no longer locked to that partition... It is a samsung Rugby smart rooted and running CM9 if that matters

thanks
tim

Last edited:

timmydafool

Sep 27, 2013
Ok I have tried to do this as my phone only has 2gb internal and filled up rediculously fast as i'm downloading maps and things on it and now i cannot do much of anything with it. When I arrive at the point of editing the vold.fstab file this is what i'm presented with:

Code:
# internal sdcard 
dev_mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard 28 /devices/platform/msm_sdcc.2/mmc_host/mmc1

# external sdcard
dev_mount external_sd /mnt/external_sd auto /devices/platform/msm_sdcc.4/mmc_host/mmc2

not sure what to change here so could use some help. I'm thinking change the 28 to auto so that it is no longer locked to that partition... It is a samsung Rugby smart rooted and running CM9 if that matters

thanks
tim

Ok I got impatient and started editing on my own and after about 30 different edits to vold.fstab and not having any storage (internal or external) for a while I got it all working. external card viewed as internal i'm sooo happy. this is how i converted the above code:

Code:
# internal sdcard 
dev_mount external_sd /mnt/sdcard1 28 /devices/platform/msm_sdcc.2/mmc_host/mmc1

# external sdcard
dev_mount sccard /mnt/sdcard auto /devices/platform/msm_sdcc.4/mmc_host/mmc2

Hope this helps anyone else with a similar phone. this seems to be similar to several other galaxy variants from what i've found throughout the forum. Now i just gotta get the interal recognized again. I believe the first line still needs tweeked.

-tim

ESPFreak

Mar 9, 2011
Ok I got impatient and started editing on my own and after about 30 different edits to vold.fstab and not having any storage (internal or external) for a while I got it all working. external card viewed as internal i'm sooo happy. this is how i converted the above code:

Code:
# internal sdcard 
dev_mount external_sd /mnt/sdcard1 28 /devices/platform/msm_sdcc.2/mmc_host/mmc1

# external sdcard
dev_mount sccard /mnt/sdcard auto /devices/platform/msm_sdcc.4/mmc_host/mmc2

Hope this helps anyone else with a similar phone. this seems to be similar to several other galaxy variants from what i've found throughout the forum. Now i just gotta get the interal recognized again. I believe the first line still needs tweeked.

-tim

I'm running CM9 on a Rugby Smart as well. Were you able to find the "persist.fuse_sdcard=true" line in the build.prop to edit? I can't seem to find that line.

timmydafool

Sep 27, 2013
I'm running CM9 on a Rugby Smart as well. Were you able to find the "persist.fuse_sdcard=true" line in the build.prop to edit? I can't seem to find that line.

I believe I just added the line to the end of the build.prop as it was not in there at all. i don't know if this was the right way to do it but it worked for me...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

7. Separates it as text.
    9. Change the "1" to "0"
    12. Restart.

• adb shell
    • su !Get Root

Do you have a question:
    - A sense of this line?

HTML:
    #!/system/bin/sh

Works Perfectly with ES File Explorer APP

7. Separates it as text.
    9. Change the "1" to "0"
    12. Restart.

• adb shell
    • su !Get Root

Do you have a question:
    - A sense of this line?

HTML:
    #!/system/bin/sh

Firstly thanks to ZaYAC-ua I tried this mod with bad results my New Razr M XT905 Running Jellybean 4.1.2 had to be re flashed with stock rom twice!!!
    Both times after modifying the files mentioned above phone wouldn't boot only showed Red Moto logo at start of boot then nothing!!!
    But I did persist and eventually had success this only takes a few minutes and places your External sdcard at " sdcard0 " Allowing full use of your sd card for media apps etc.

FIRST DO NOT drag files from phone to PC modify them then place back on phone this corrupts files result no Boot!!
    Second ROOT EXPLORER would not modify files no matter what I tried yes I,m aware of RO RW and so on.
    Third Download ES FILE EXPLORER Brilliant APP for file access, connecting to your LAN and seamless transfer of files between Phone and PC
    oh yes and Editing system files.

1. Open ES File Ex Go to & open folder "System" set to R / W.
    ( tap top left button little phone & half world globe, open " Tools " then open " Root Explorer " then " Mount R/W " check both " radio
    buttons and OK. This may need repeating as you access other folders to modify files!
    2. Find the file "build.prop" long press and open with ES Note Editor
    3. Find the line "persist.fuse_sdcard = true" (about half way down file list)
    4. Change the "true" to "false". Should look like this "persist.fuse_sdcard = false"
    5. To turn off the simulation " data / media " on the internal SD
    6. Go to the folder "/ system / etc" and find the file " vold.fstab "
    7. Long press and open as Text with ES Note Editor
    8. Find the line "dev_mount sdcard /storage/sdcard1 auto /devices/platform/msm_sdcc.3/mmc_host"
    9. Change the "1" to "0"
    10. Now add the following line below the one you just changed the 1 & 0 in, leaving a space between the two see pic below.
    "dev_mount external /storage/sdcard1 auto /data/media" (Take note of spaces in this line it matters)
    12. Restart.

I didn't understand how to make the old internal 4GB on the phone avaliable as external SD card as in ZaYAC-ua original post
    bit above my skill level maybe someone else can shed some light on this one?
    Hope this helps!!

Screenshot_2013-05-07-18-31-12.jpg

Screenshot_2013-05-07-18-41-44.jpg

Screenshot_2013-05-07-18-42-06.jpg