General Switching from OxygenOS C.38 (EU) to ColorOS C.41 (CN), and back to OOS12 (EU C.44) 😂

Search This thread

Jaxom84

Jan 12, 2022
As some of you might have noticed, the update for Chinese ColorOS 12 numbered C.41 has been released for OnePlus 9 and 9 Pro (link to Techibee's article with the DL links). While I was pretty patient about waiting for an official OxygenOS 12 update for EU users (don't know to what amount of time it would have led to wait for), the complains about how halfly-baked the last OOS updates were and the fact that we can switch from one release to another without a lot of issues convinced me to give a try to the fully assumed ColorOS 12 for my OnePlus 9 Pro.

As far as I can tell, the update proceeded without any unwanted side effects, even if, as it's a Chinese version, it came with a lot of apps that I will surely never need or use. I didn't loose any datas in the process and after the quick setup of ColorOS (it is still detected as a new OS by the phone, and it will act like a nearly brand new one at the first boot following the update, even if everything is back in place after ignoring those steps).

For the differences I noticed:
Changes that are a little bothering (to me):
  • A lot of Chinese bloatwares (some cannot be uninstalled, HeyTap's App Market and Themes Market, even through ADB, because they are tide to some ColorOS required functions)
  • A whole new HeyTap environment that I will have to get accustomed to, but I think that I'll stick with Google for now
  • Breeno, the voice assistant (not very fond of voice assistants, so not going to use it)
  • Omojis (still to be tested, as I'm unable to register myself yet, but it reminds me a lot about Apple's Memoji feature)
  • Very aggressive battery management (some apps, even if allowed to run in the back, are force-closed by ColorOS, I still have to find a way to correct or lessen that behavior)
What I liked so far:
  • Easy transition so far, the phone feels the same in term of performances
  • RAM booster (from 3 to 7Gb can be used from your phone memory to help your phone managing bigger apps)
  • The game panel, that is giving quite a bunch of options for people playing a lot on their phone (I'm not really used to play heavy games on my phone, but still delighted that it's given to the users)
  • FaceID unlock working great (I'm still waiting for it on my girlfriend's Pixel 6...)
  • Being able to install back the debloated apps (yes, still bloatwares, but it is an interesting option and could help correcting some users errors)
  • Highly customizable UI from the start (I'm a Nova Launcher/Kustom user, but I still gave a try to the stock UI and it was pretty good)
  • Wireless charging a little more efficient (⚠️ personal feeling here, might just be my imagination or the aggressive battery management at work, and it requires some further testing)
In conclusion, I would say that I'm still looking for the perfect OS experience with my OnePlus 9 Pro, but when it comes to Android 12 official ROMs, ColorOS 12 gave me the best experience so far. I'm still experimenting it as my daily driver, so I might come across new elements (either good or bad), but I hope that it will reassure a little people that are hesitating doing the transition between the two OS.

Edit:
Found the reason why accessibility was automatically disabled for one of my apps, ColorOS isn't allowing you to lock for background run more than just a few selected apps and will prevent you to add more if you don't deactivate some of the old ones beforehand.

Edit 2:​
  • com.heytap.music​
  • com.heytap.vip​
  • com.heytap.browser​
  • com.finshell.wallet​
  • com.heytap.speechassist​
  • com.coloros.directui​
  • com.coloros.calendar​
  • com.heytap.cloud​
  • com.oplus.synergy​
  • com.oplus.pay​
  • com.colorsos.gallery3d​
  • com.coloros.ocrscanner​
  • com.coloros.weather.service​
  • com.android.mms​
  • com.android.contacts​
  • com.coloros.filemanager​
  • com.redteamobile.roaming​

Edit 3:
Update to C.44 installing. Seems to fix a black screen issue for incoming calls.

Edit 4:
From new observations I was able to make since I installed ColorOS 12, the way it handles authorizations is a little different from OxygenOS. The number of apps alowed to run in the background is very limited (7) and most apps will need a manual authorizations setup to work properly.

Edit 5:
Throttling detected in some game apps, locked at 30fps... Quite strange for an OS that is providing "pro gaming in-game panel". 😕

Edit 6:
Back to OxygenOS 12, but EU C.44 as they finally released it (🥳).
The few days on ColorOS 12 were nice, but I ended up being frustrated by how the OS is actually fine-tuned in term of GPU and CPU performances in some apps.
I hope OPPO and OnePlus will successfully find a way to balance things and that an EU (or at least a not too heavy chinese services relied) version will be really released in the coming months, because it's promising and offers many features that I still enjoyed.

Last edited:

brmbjn

Mar 17, 2015
Bojonegoro
OnePlus 8
OnePlus 8 Pro
Screenshot_2022-01-20-05-00-57-38_9492aa3750dca76abb7c25b39a5f1e8e.jpg

Jaxom84

Jan 12, 2022
Then may be I have installed a wrong version as instructed in a Youtube video. No play services was there and there were many Chinese apps and letters (I have selected English US). Do you have the link to the latest ColorOS with play services?
Take a look at the link in my first post, I know they also hosted the C.44.

Jaxom84

Jan 12, 2022
Yes, I got it, thanks. I have done a factory reset after installing it in the morning and may be that's the reason there weren't any Google play services. I'm confused..
It must explain why, you're right. As I update from a Google based version (A12 C.38 EU), it was already in my phone and didn't have to perform a factory reset.

Reactions: fernoct

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    As some of you might have noticed, the update for Chinese ColorOS 12 numbered C.41 has been released for OnePlus 9 and 9 Pro (link to Techibee's article with the DL links). While I was pretty patient about waiting for an official OxygenOS 12 update for EU users (don't know to what amount of time it would have led to wait for), the complains about how halfly-baked the last OOS updates were and the fact that we can switch from one release to another without a lot of issues convinced me to give a try to the fully assumed ColorOS 12 for my OnePlus 9 Pro.

As far as I can tell, the update proceeded without any unwanted side effects, even if, as it's a Chinese version, it came with a lot of apps that I will surely never need or use. I didn't loose any datas in the process and after the quick setup of ColorOS (it is still detected as a new OS by the phone, and it will act like a nearly brand new one at the first boot following the update, even if everything is back in place after ignoring those steps).

For the differences I noticed:
    Changes that are a little bothering (to me):
    • A lot of Chinese bloatwares (some cannot be uninstalled, HeyTap's App Market and Themes Market, even through ADB, because they are tide to some ColorOS required functions)
    • A whole new HeyTap environment that I will have to get accustomed to, but I think that I'll stick with Google for now
    • Breeno, the voice assistant (not very fond of voice assistants, so not going to use it)
    • Omojis (still to be tested, as I'm unable to register myself yet, but it reminds me a lot about Apple's Memoji feature)
    • Very aggressive battery management (some apps, even if allowed to run in the back, are force-closed by ColorOS, I still have to find a way to correct or lessen that behavior)
    What I liked so far:
    • Easy transition so far, the phone feels the same in term of performances
    • RAM booster (from 3 to 7Gb can be used from your phone memory to help your phone managing bigger apps)
    • The game panel, that is giving quite a bunch of options for people playing a lot on their phone (I'm not really used to play heavy games on my phone, but still delighted that it's given to the users)
    • FaceID unlock working great (I'm still waiting for it on my girlfriend's Pixel 6...)
    • Being able to install back the debloated apps (yes, still bloatwares, but it is an interesting option and could help correcting some users errors)
    • Highly customizable UI from the start (I'm a Nova Launcher/Kustom user, but I still gave a try to the stock UI and it was pretty good)
    • Wireless charging a little more efficient (⚠️ personal feeling here, might just be my imagination or the aggressive battery management at work, and it requires some further testing)
    In conclusion, I would say that I'm still looking for the perfect OS experience with my OnePlus 9 Pro, but when it comes to Android 12 official ROMs, ColorOS 12 gave me the best experience so far. I'm still experimenting it as my daily driver, so I might come across new elements (either good or bad), but I hope that it will reassure a little people that are hesitating doing the transition between the two OS.

Edit:
    Found the reason why accessibility was automatically disabled for one of my apps, ColorOS isn't allowing you to lock for background run more than just a few selected apps and will prevent you to add more if you don't deactivate some of the old ones beforehand.

Edit 2:​
    • com.heytap.music​
    • com.heytap.vip​
    • com.heytap.browser​
    • com.finshell.wallet​
    • com.heytap.speechassist​
    • com.coloros.directui​
    • com.coloros.calendar​
    • com.heytap.cloud​
    • com.oplus.synergy​
    • com.oplus.pay​
    • com.colorsos.gallery3d​
    • com.coloros.ocrscanner​
    • com.coloros.weather.service​
    • com.android.mms​
    • com.android.contacts​
    • com.coloros.filemanager​
    • com.redteamobile.roaming​

Edit 3:
    Update to C.44 installing. Seems to fix a black screen issue for incoming calls.

Edit 4:
    From new observations I was able to make since I installed ColorOS 12, the way it handles authorizations is a little different from OxygenOS. The number of apps alowed to run in the background is very limited (7) and most apps will need a manual authorizations setup to work properly.

Edit 5:
    Throttling detected in some game apps, locked at 30fps... Quite strange for an OS that is providing "pro gaming in-game panel". 😕

Edit 6:
    Back to OxygenOS 12, but EU C.44 as they finally released it (🥳).
    The few days on ColorOS 12 were nice, but I ended up being frustrated by how the OS is actually fine-tuned in term of GPU and CPU performances in some apps.
    I hope OPPO and OnePlus will successfully find a way to balance things and that an EU (or at least a not too heavy chinese services relied) version will be really released in the coming months, because it's promising and offers many features that I still enjoyed.
    Just dirty flashed over OOS C 38?
    As said, I did a local update from the Local Update app provided since the Android 12 update. 🙂
    Just dirty flashed over OOS C 38?
    i am dirty from oos c.40 to cos c.41 and then get ota cos c.44
    work well
    Any method of installing the Google play store and play services?
    It comes with it, so no need to proceed to a manual install.
    Yes, I got it, thanks. I have done a factory reset after installing it in the morning and may be that's the reason there weren't any Google play services. I'm confused..
    It must explain why, you're right. As I update from a Google based version (A12 C.38 EU), it was already in my phone and didn't have to perform a factory reset.