• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

Switching from verizon

Search This thread

Bierce22

Nov 10, 2010
canton ga
Hey guys im debating on switching from verizon because of there new plans are ridiculous im on m8 right now so I would probably want the m9. Im going to get the unlimited data plan and I was wondering how hard it is to get wifi tethering working I plan on rooting it first thing so are there any roms such as cynagen or google play I could just use. Also I was wondering if its difficult to root right now with the lollipop update.

kc6wke

Feb 19, 2012
So, Cal
Hey guys im debating on switching from verizon because of there new plans are ridiculous im on m8 right now so I would probably want the m9. Im going to get the unlimited data plan and I was wondering how hard it is to get wifi tethering working I plan on rooting it first thing so are there any roms such as cynagen or google play I could just use. Also I was wondering if its difficult to root right now with the lollipop update.

I switched from vzw unlimited plan to tmo's unlimited plan about 2 months ago.
I am not very satisified with the service, yes you will get 5 gb free mobile hotspot (this can be bypassed by using pdanet usb tethering). If you go over 5gb they throttle your speed down.
Also if you go over 21 gb they "re-prioritize" your data as they call it (I call it throttling) which I think is BS.
Their data speeds suck in my area compared to vzw but not always the case depending on where you are, you can get some fast speeds.
Rooting is not an issue as you can unlock the bootloader from htc's site and flash twrp, and the supersu zip.
As far as Roms, just a few so far. Leedroids is about the best I have used but you may loose wifi calling and volte.

I would read up on their re-prioritizing before switching.
Hope this helps

Bierce22

Nov 10, 2010
canton ga
I switched from vzw unlimited plan to tmo's unlimited plan about 2 months ago.
I am not very satisified with the service, yes you will get 5 gb free mobile hotspot (this can be bypassed by using pdanet usb tethering). If you go over 5gb they throttle your speed down.
Also if you go over 21 gb they "re-prioritize" your data as they call it (I call it throttling) which I think is BS.
Their data speeds suck in my area compared to vzw but not always the case depending on where you are, you can get some fast speeds.
Rooting is not an issue as you can unlock the bootloader from htc's site and flash twrp, and the supersu zip.
As far as Roms, just a few so far. Leedroids is about the best I have used but you may loose wifi calling and volte.

I would read up on their re-prioritizing before switching.
Hope this helps

Ive got only 3gigs on verizon right now so its not that big of an issue as long as they dont throttle you to 2g im good as far as service goes according the coverage map i have fair 4g at my house and its good everywhere else same with verizon. For tethering though can you use the roms built in wifi tethering option if you switch the apn because I cant stand pda net

kc6wke

Feb 19, 2012
So, Cal
Ive got only 3gigs on verizon right now so its not that big of an issue as long as they dont throttle you to 2g im good as far as service goes according the coverage map i have fair 4g at my house and its good everywhere else same with verizon. For tethering though can you use the roms built in wifi tethering option if you switch the apn because I cant stand pda net

Yes, you get 5gb of tethering (mobile hotspot) no need to switch apn,

papadelogan

Apr 26, 2012
I guess it would depend on how the tethering was implemented in the ROM you choose. If it does not use the TMobile apk/solution, then you likely would not have the 5GB limit. If it does, it will. How to tell...? Ask the people building the ROM(s). I will be using PDANet for tethering; it's simple, works fine, and 1 wire is not that big a deal to me.

I'm jumping to TMobile because my wife has an old plan that I can sneak in on that will give me everything I need (effectively unlimited/non-throttling UDP) for $100 LESS per month than Verizon. I've been with them since the days of Bell Atlantic, but I'm tired of the cost & tyranny on their phone choices. Will I have as good of coverage? Not likely, but for the areas I will be in, it's sufficient, so why waste the extra $100?

Cheeky_Fink

Aug 24, 2011
Colorado Springs
OnePlus 7T Pro McLaren
T-Mobile's recent tethering crackdown can detect pretty much every workaround so far, at least on Sense ROMs. Cyanogenmod has always given me unlimited tethering in the past, but I haven't tried it with this phone, and I can't risk them busting me again if it doesn't work. IIRC you get one warning, after that they drop you down to a capped data plan and you're permanently banned from unlimited. I've already gotten that warning, and I was tethering to an Android tablet through a VPN, with several deep-level tweaks to make it undetectable. The day after their crackdown announcement, I was tethering and I got a warning. I couldn't tether again until I wiped my phone and flashed a different rom before going back to the one I'd been on, to completely undo all of the tweaks. Now I'm back to 7GB of tether data. I wouldn't risk trying to circumvent it more than once if you get a warning.