Question system backup

Search This thread

m0d hipp¥

Sep 27, 2006
Yes I understand it. basically you can't backup to it while it's in use. so it needs to be excluded. So since these are all the same paths "/data/media = /storage/emulated/0 = /sdcard", would it be enough to just exclude "/media*" or would you need to exclude "/data/media*", and "/storage/emulated/0*", and "/sdcard*"

Thanks!

WoKoschekk

Feb 25, 2019
Cologne
Moto G6
Moto G6 Plus
Yes I understand it. basically you can't backup to it while it's in use. so it needs to be excluded. So since these are all the same paths "/data/media = /storage/emulated/0 = /sdcard", would it be enough to just exclude "/media*" or would you need to exclude "/data/media*", and "/storage/emulated/0*", and "/sdcard*"

Thanks!
exclude just /media as in the given command.

To use Termux via ADB:

Code:
adb shell
su #Magisk prompts you to grant root access for shell
PATH=/data/data/com.termux/files/usr/bin
SHELL=/data/data/com.termux/files/usr/bin/sh

WoKoschekk

Feb 25, 2019
Cologne
Moto G6
Moto G6 Plus
exclude just /media as in the given command.

To use Termux via ADB:

Code:
adb shell
su #Magisk prompts you to grant root access for shell
PATH=/data/data/com.termux/files/usr/bin
SHELL=/data/data/com.termux/files/usr/bin/sh
Open Termux on your phone and run 'pkg install tsu' to install 'Termux su'. After that and after 'SHELL=/data...' you can run 'tsu'. That then brings you in a clean way into the Termux shell.

m0d hipp¥

Sep 27, 2006
Open Termux on your phone and run 'pkg install tsu' to install 'Termux su'. After that and after 'SHELL=/data...' you can run 'tsu'. That then brings you in a clean way into the Termux shell.
I'll try these commands and see if I can get it. Basically I would use this command right?
Code:
tar -cv --exclude='media/*' --exclude='*-cache' --file=/data/media/0/data.ext4.win000 /data

WoKoschekk

Feb 25, 2019
Cologne
Moto G6
Moto G6 Plus
I added the cache because I came across this post: https://github.com/dlenski/tetherback That dev made a comment that for twrp backup for the data mount point

So I thought to include that as well.
This was meant to be for Nexus 5 and a directory called data-cache. I assume it's an app cache but it's not used anymore on modern Android devices. Instead of this the option you add won't save ~/dalvik-cache. In general that's not an issue and on first boot the system will recreate the files. But it takes a few minutes and you could skip the waiting time by not excluding it.

I noticed that the guy uses --exclude='media*' while I used --exclude='media/*'.
Forget them both!

Let's pretend your partition stores
Code:
/data/mediafile
/data/media/0

BTW: In a previous post I said that /data/media = /storage/emulated/0 what is indeed /data/media/0 = /storage/emulated/0. I forgot the folder '0' that is specific to the user. You are user_0 and every new one will be created ongoing as user_1, ..., user_n.

To get to the point, the following explains the different arguments for --excluding:

Code:
# excluding 'media/*' saves:
/data/
/data/media
/data/mediafile

=> /data/media/0 is excluded

# excluding 'media*' saves:
/data/

=> all folders and also ALL FILES beginning with 'media' are excluded what is NOT desired!

# excluding 'media' saves:
/data/
/data/mediafile

=> this is the best practice and I would
recommend you to use this argument.
the folder ~/media/0 gets created on first boot by
the system. So, you don't need to save
/data/media with your backup. but apart from
that this argument will save all files beginning
with 'media'.

f.y.i. I haven't tested yet to restore a backup like this! I was searching for a method to create a TWRP backup manually. The command is able to do it 1:1 and a hexdump of the first lines is identical. But it can only be used in running system. I have got no idea what will happen if it's being restored.

m0d hipp¥

Sep 27, 2006
Thanks for the explanation and clarifying everything. I had a chance to test this out and here are my results.

I created 2 small scripts

batch script
Code:
@echo off
cls

pushd "%~dp0"

adb shell su <test.txt

Pause

test.txt
Code:
cd "/data/data/com.termux/files/usr/bin"
tar -cv --exclude='media' --file=/data/media/0/data.ext4.win000 /data

It took less than 1 minute to run which is pretty fast. It saved the "data.ext4.win000" data file and it shows 20Gb, however the last line in the output of the batch file states "tar: had errors". Is there a way I can see what the errors are?

WoKoschekk

Feb 25, 2019
Cologne
Moto G6
Moto G6 Plus
Thanks for the explanation and clarifying everything. I had a chance to test this out and here are my results.

I created 2 small scripts

batch script
Code:
@echo off
cls

pushd "%~dp0"

adb shell su <test.txt

Pause

test.txt
Code:

It took less than 1 minute to run which is pretty fast. It saved the "data.ext4.win000" data file and it shows 20Gb, however the last line in the output of the batch file states "tar: had errors". Is there a way I can see what the errors are?
did you grant root permissions to "shell"?

The line »cd "/data/data/com.termux/files/usr/bin"« is useless in your case.

m0d hipp¥

Sep 27, 2006
did you grant root permissions to "shell"?

The line »cd "/data/data/com.termux/files/usr/bin"« is useless in your case.
the su is in the batch script. I tested it out by the command "whoami" and it returned root.

As far as the cd command, I thought that the tar file in termux is different than the standard tar issued with Android, so I was under the impression I had to cd to the bin file and execute the tar commands from there. Am I mistaken?

WoKoschekk

Feb 25, 2019
Cologne
Moto G6
Moto G6 Plus
yes, you are in SHELL=/system/bin/sh and therefore /system/bin/tar will be used by the system. That's why I told you to change the shell variables PATH= and SHELL=.

Instead of changing the shell environment you can also execute the binary in a current path you are in with
./tar
or from outside that path with /data/data/com.termux/files/usr/bin/./tar
For me this method seems to be a bit tricky and could lead to confusion if you forget the prefixed "./" To get around this I told you to change the environment.

So, test.txt should look like this:

Code:
./tar -cv --exclude='media' --file=/data/media/0/data.ext4.win000 /data

add a prefixed ./ to tar and you needn't to change the environment. But remember that for some up coming changes in your script!

m0d hipp¥

Sep 27, 2006
Sorry I totally missed the part on how to set environmental variables. I just did that now. I'll give my script another go.

By the way, when I set the path and shell variables is that only within the current session or is it permanent now any time I use ADB?

EDIT:
So I think the variables are only within the current session.
Anyway After setting the paths I reran the command
Code:

I see everything processing with the verbose output.
This time it ran with no errors, but it shows it's only 50mb. That can't be right.

Last edited:

WoKoschekk

Feb 25, 2019
Cologne
Moto G6
Moto G6 Plus
instead of changing the variables you can also execute
Code:
/data/data/com.termux/files/usr/bin/./tsu
tsu = Termux su-shell, pkg install tsu
then you are also using the Termux shell as root.

m0d hipp¥

Sep 27, 2006
I still seem to be getting mixed results. sometimes I get a 20Gb backup other times it's only 50mb. I don't get any errors, but when I open up the 50mb archive I see several directories missing even though it processed without any errors. for example the 50mb file these are the directories within root that it backed up.
Code:
anr
bootchart
misc
tombstones
unencrypted
vendor
vendor_ce
vendor_de

Top Liked Posts