Question System Lag - Slow Transition Animations

Search This thread

gadget069

Mar 28, 2011
Duluth
I've had soem performance issues from day one with this phone. It is the ATT version. I'm having issues with transition animations, either hanging or really slow and choppy. This does happen all lthe time though. After the update for March the phone ran really good , even though the battery seems to not last as long. Now in the last few days, couple of weeks after the update, I'm back to slow transistions. I've already factory reset the phone once since it's initial set up about a month ago. From the Samsung Members app it seems other people are having this issue. Has anyone worked with Samsung about this issue? Thanks

BigMosley

Aug 19, 2011
I've had soem performance issues from day one with this phone. It is the ATT version. I'm having issues with transition animations, either hanging or really slow and choppy. This does happen all lthe time though. After the update for March the phone ran really good , even though the battery seems to not last as long. Now in the last few days, couple of weeks after the update, I'm back to slow transistions. I've already factory reset the phone once since it's initial set up about a month ago. From the Samsung Members app it seems other people are having this issue. Has anyone worked with Samsung about this issue? Thanks

Do you have all of the Developer option animations, set to 0 and have "Reduce Animations" turned on under Settings/visibility enhancements?

NippleSauce

• Jun 23, 2013
    Do you mind adding a short screen recording to show us what the lag/choppiness looks like, how severe it is, and exactly where it happens? Without that information, we won't be able to give you too many potential solutions.

*Edit* - Granted, what @BigMosley had said works great! But if you still want the animations, just do the first step that he listed but change all of the animation timings to "0.5," which'll make em' twice as fast! That's what I've always used even though I feel that it is also nice without any animations. No animations might make my phone use during my work day more efficient 🤷‍♂️. Oh, and to clear that up, I'm a tech guy and so I often use my phone for work shtuff (rd, administrative sites, status checks of different crappolas, etc).

Last edited:
    Reactions: BigMosley

gadget069

Mar 28, 2011
    Duluth
    Do you mind adding a short screen recording to show us what the lag/choppiness looks like, how severe it is, and exactly where it happens? Without that information, we won't be able to give you too many potential solutions.

*Edit* - Granted, what @BigMosley had said works great! But if you still want the animations, just do the first step that he listed but change all of the animation timings to "0.5," which'll make em' twice as fast! That's what I've always used even though I feel that it is also nice without any animations. No animations might make my phone use during my work day more efficient 🤷‍♂️. Oh, and to clear that up, I'm a tech guy and so I often use my phone for work shtuff (rd, administrative sites, status checks of different crappolas, etc).
    I'll see if a can

Burt Squirtz

Feb 11, 2018
    I understand, to each their own. I turn all of that stuff off which speeds up the device I cannot stand any sort of transition animations.
    I agree with this 100%. Animations were created 10 years ago to hide jank in Android - which doesn't exist anymore. especially phones that are this fast nowadays. Animations do nothing but slow the device down and increase battery consumption. It looks so clean, snappy and cutting edge when you take off animations completely.

gadget069

Mar 28, 2011
    Duluth
    I'm trying to get video of the lag. The phone will start lagging, I'll start the screen recording, by then it stops lagging.

new development. still having intermittent lagging issues. transition animations turned down to .5x. the new thing happened tonight. on my way home for work I was charging my phone. I stopped at a gas station to pick up a couple of things. I left my phone in the car connected to the charger. my cigarette lighter has no power when the car is off. when I turned the car back on my phone started screaming at me to unplug it because it has detected moisture in the charging port! This phone has not had any water spilled on it, dropped in water ect. I haven't opened a support ticket yet. but after the continuing system lag, no this charging error. I just have a lemon for a phone. so disappointing.

blackhawk

• Jun 23, 2020
    I'm trying to get video of the lag. The phone will start lagging, I'll start the screen recording, by then it stops lagging.

new development. still having intermittent lagging issues. transition animations turned down to .5x. the new thing happened tonight. on my way home for work I was charging my phone. I stopped at a gas station to pick up a couple of things. I left my phone in the car connected to the charger. my cigarette lighter has no power when the car is off. when I turned the car back on my phone started screaming at me to unplug it because it has detected moisture in the charging port! This phone has not had any water spilled on it, dropped in water ect. I haven't opened a support ticket yet. but after the continuing system lag, no this charging error. I just have a lemon for a phone. so disappointing.

It may be a 3rd party app(s) causing issues including AT&T and Samsung bloatware.
    Did you do any firmware updates?
    If you did any major ones, it's factory reset time.

Otherwise start by clearing the system cache and doing a hard reset.
    If it's running warm with poor battery life something is sucking cpu cycles like a digital vampire. Not uncommon on AT&T variants... but fixable.

Reactions: NippleSauce

W O W ! ! !

my lord, i have been experiencing the same exact phone lag (s21 ultra ATT) all starting about one week ago after a recent firmware OTA download. It has been driving me mental. The entire feel of the phone is noticebly slow. Sometimes stalling even just on a simple Google Search.

So much so I am now doing a factory reset along w/a stock firmware flash to see if I can roll things back to normal.

If anyone else notes the same issues and or fixes, please do share.
    (firmware on now G988USQU2AUB5 - LAGGING)

I know Google updated their app a few days ago and my phone went balistic. They issued an immediate patch with fixed the crashes but speed still suffers.

blackhawk

• Jun 23, 2020
    W O W ! ! !

my lord, i have been experiencing the same exact phone lag (s21 ultra ATT) all starting about one week ago after a recent firmware OTA download. It has been driving me mental. The entire feel of the phone is noticebly slow. Sometimes stalling even just on a simple Google Search.

So much so I am now doing a factory reset along w/a stock firmware flash to see if I can roll things back to normal.

If anyone else notes the same issues and or fixes, please do share.
    (firmware on now G988USQU2AUB5 - LAGGING)

I know Google updated their app a few days ago and my phone went balistic. They issued an immediate patch with fixed the crashes but speed still suffers.

Doing firmware updates as soon as they're released is asking for trouble. At least wait a couple weeks to see if they are causing issues especially if your phone is running well.
    Google system apk/app updates have a long history of screwing things up but at least you can easily roll them back to factory load versions.

My AT&T Note 10+ is still running on Pie and many of the Google and some of the Samsung apps are still the factory load versions. It runs fast and very stable. No forced reloads due to malware, ever.

NippleSauce

• Jun 23, 2013
    If it is a carrier app that is causing this choppiness, then that would make a lot of sense. Since I have the factory unlocked version of the phone, mine didn't come with any carrier apps (and I also removed most of the built-in Samsung bloatware apps). Perhaps this is why I don't have this problem.

gadget069

Mar 28, 2011
    Duluth
    It may be a 3rd party app(s) causing issues including AT&T and Samsung bloatware.
    Did you do any firmware updates?
    If you did any major ones, it's factory reset time.

Otherwise start by clearing the system cache and doing a hard reset.
    If it's running warm with poor battery life something is sucking cpu cycles like a digital vampire. Not uncommon on AT&T variants... but fixable.
    I've already factory reset the phone once, about 2 weeks after getting the phone because of the issues. It's been pretty much lagging since I've received the phone. The phone to it's usual update when I got the phone, took a large update this month, 450mb. Is hate to factory reset the phone again to try and fix this. The phone is not running hot or bad battery life.

blackhawk

• Jun 23, 2020
    How are you going to do a firmware flash? Sammobile did not have the att firmware on thier website
    You can take it to a Samsung Experience Center at Best Buys stateside. They can do more in depth diagnostics and can reflash it as well.
    Let AT&T know of your fun... they are actively -partnered- with Samsung and are involved in all aspects of the phone's software/firmware.
    No joke.

gadget069

Mar 28, 2011
    Duluth
    You can take it to a Samsung Experience Center at Best Buys stateside. They can do more in depth diagnostics and can reflash it as well.
    Let AT&T know of your fun... they are actively -partnered- with Samsung and are involved in all aspects of the phone's software/firmware.
    No joke.
    I might trust BB to re-flash the phone. Half the time I speak with anyone I seem to know more than they do, that scares me. I'd be more comfortable flashing it myself.

Last edited:

blackhawk

• Jun 23, 2020
    I might trust BB to re-flash the phone. Half the time I speak with anyone I seem to know more than they do, that scares me. I'd be more comfortable flashing it myself.
    Try contacting AT&T advanced tech support. They are better than Samsung tech support* which is worthless.

*a US Samsung rep may do better, SK reps being the worst🤣

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
      I don't enjoy having animations turned off. Takes away from the experience. I shouldn't have to do that to make this phone work.
      I understand, to each their own. I turn all of that stuff off which speeds up the device I cannot stand any sort of transition animations.

Do you have all of the Developer option animations, set to 0 and have "Reduce Animations" turned on under Settings/visibility enhancements?
      I'm just disappointed that a smartphone should do this new out of the box, especially these days. Top of the line smartphone shouldn't be doing this.
      I agree with this 100%. Animations were created 10 years ago to hide jank in Android - which doesn't exist anymore. especially phones that are this fast nowadays. Animations do nothing but slow the device down and increase battery consumption. It looks so clean, snappy and cutting edge when you take off animations completely.