System partition not found

Search This thread

CarteNoir

Nov 26, 2012
This is just a quick post to document an issue & solution I had when updating my Pixel 5 to the latest OTA and trying to re-root.
I had installed the latest OTA via system update, then downloaded the matching image from the Factory Images Page, pulled the boot.img out of there, transferred it to my Pixel, and used Magisk to patch it.
I then transferred it back to my computer and tried to flash it to the phone using fastboot flash boot boot_patched.img. At this point the phone entered a bootloop.
I booted into the bootloader menu and tried to flash the latest clean system image (without wiping data), when I ran into the following system errors causing the flash to fail when trying to flash the system partition:
Code:
FAILED (remote: Partition system not found)

(and later...)
FAILED (remote: Partition should be flashed in fastbootd)

I initially panicked but the way around this should you ever encounter these errors, is to literally just update your fastboot and adb binaries on your computer. You can grab the latest standalone binaries from here, and throw them where your PATH will find them. After running the flash script again, it worked without a hitch and my phone was up and running without issue.

hugehead83

Feb 4, 2009
Houston, TX
Google Pixel C
Moto X4
I initially panicked but the way around this should you ever encounter these errors, is to literally just update your fastboot and adb binaries on your computer. You can grab the latest standalone binaries from here, and throw them where your PATH will find them. After running the flash script again, it worked without a hitch and my phone was up and running without issue.
Just wanted to say thanks. I had this issue with my Pixel 6, and updating my ancient ADB/fastboot binaries resolved it!

Reactions: Koehlix

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is just a quick post to document an issue & solution I had when updating my Pixel 5 to the latest OTA and trying to re-root.
    I had installed the latest OTA via system update, then downloaded the matching image from the Factory Images Page, pulled the boot.img out of there, transferred it to my Pixel, and used Magisk to patch it.
    I then transferred it back to my computer and tried to flash it to the phone using fastboot flash boot boot_patched.img. At this point the phone entered a bootloop.
    I booted into the bootloader menu and tried to flash the latest clean system image (without wiping data), when I ran into the following system errors causing the flash to fail when trying to flash the system partition:
    Code:
    FAILED (remote: Partition system not found)

(and later...)
    FAILED (remote: Partition should be flashed in fastbootd)

Just wanted to say thanks. I had this issue with my Pixel 6, and updating my ancient ADB/fastboot binaries resolved it!