"System update failed" No matter which update file/name (android 9 or 10)

Search This thread

palamosteliaro

Jan 14, 2009
Can someone help me please? I have tried so many different files and so many different file names but no matter what, I get an instant "system update failed" message when i click ok selecting the update. I have tried files here in xda and every A9toA10 update file I could find on Telegram, with every combination of file names, but no luck. I always get the same message. I also tried the official update of the same version (A9) nothing.

I did RAW firmware (1910.64) relocking bootloader, wiping before and after bootloader relock, still nothing.
I am currently at 1910.64, completely stock, bootloader locked (no warning on boot), no google account or patern required, not even connected to wifi, I STILL get the update failed message.

What am I missing guys? Is there a specific file I should be using? Everyone seems to be updating successfully, except me...
I don't care its a beta, I just need Android 10 for the global dark mode and the not-broken notifications of 9s doze.

reg66

Jan 7, 2007
Google Pixel 7 Pro
Xiaomi Pad 6
Can someone help me please? I have tried so many different files and so many different file names but no matter what, I get an instant "system update failed" message when i click ok selecting the update. I have tried files here in xda and every A9toA10 update file I could find on Telegram, with every combination of file names, but no luck. I always get the same message. I also tried the official update of the same version (A9) nothing.

I did RAW firmware (1910.64) relocking bootloader, wiping before and after bootloader relock, still nothing.
I am currently at 1910.64, completely stock, bootloader locked (no warning on boot), no google account or patern required, not even connected to wifi, I STILL get the update failed message.

What am I missing guys? Is there a specific file I should be using? Everyone seems to be updating successfully, except me...
I don't care its a beta, I just need Android 10 for the global dark mode and the not-broken notifications of 9s doze.
Did you change the fingerprint?

palamosteliaro

Jan 14, 2009
Did you change the fingerprint?

No I didn't touch that. Compared to the S10+ the fingerprint is much better on the ROG so I didn't feel the need to.

I found the solution so for anyone in the same position with me:

You will need to be rooted at the latest Pie version of RAW WW rom.

If your phone is Tencent (like mine) you can't do OTA updates of WW versions and thats why I was getting the error message. You need to change the /vendor/factory/COUNTRY file from CN to WW. Use root explorer and its build-in text editor to open the file and change CN to WW. Reboot now.

The OTA update will still not start if you have rooted boot.img BUT magisk won't also flash the OTA update if you dont have rooted boot.img!

So you need to press "uninstall" at the bottom of the magisk manager and "restore images" at the prompt. This will restore the stock image, but still give you the ability to patch the OTA update and still have root when u update to 10. I thought just to fastboot the stock boot.img but nope! magisk wont patch the OTA if you boot with stock boot.img.

When you will press "restore images" you will get a message that a stock backup is not present and after some researching, I found out that the backups are expected to be in "/data/" with the filename: "stock_boot_SHA1.img.gz" so you need to gzip your stock image, generate its sha1 code and put it in the file name. I used 7zip for gziping and hashmyfiles to generate the SHA1. If you don't have the stock image, you can extract it from the official firmware's (asus website) payload.bin file using payload_dumper-win64"
After you get the "backup" gzip of your stock boot.img with the correct filename (including the sha1) you place it inside the "/data/" folder with root explorer (not "data/data/" just "/data") and you can now "uninstall" and "restore images" from the magisk.

When that is complete, copy the OTA .zip file of Android 10, disconnecting the usb cable from ur pc should trigger the notification that an update is present. Start the update, when it reaches 100% it will ask you to reboot. Select "later" and go back to magisk, select install and "install to inactive slot (after ota)" and restart when that finishes.
You should boot back to Android 10 and have magisk and root at this point.

Hardest rooting I have ever done, google really f'ed us with android 10 "security". I miss the good old days we were just flashing 1 file in fastboot and we had root+twrp+hapiness...

Good Luck to anyone trying.

jimdorky

Dec 28, 2010
Penang
No I didn't touch that. Compared to the S10+ the fingerprint is much better on the ROG so I didn't feel the need to.

If your phone is Tencent (like mine) you can't do OTA updates of WW versions and thats why I was getting the error message. You need to change the /vendor/factory/COUNTRY file from CN to WW. Use root explorer and its build-in text editor to open the file and change CN to WW. Reboot now.

Good Luck to anyone trying.

I dont see the COUNTRY file in factory folder- tried using root browser and root explorer but stil dont see the file..

can you provide me file mention?

palamosteliaro

Jan 14, 2009
I dont see the COUNTRY file in factory folder- tried using root browser and root explorer but stil dont see the file..

can you provide me file mention?

Are you sure you are looking at the right folder? I believe its a mandatory file, but I am not sure. Maybe if you don't have it is for the better even. When you do factory reset, in what language is the setup? Before I edited that file mine was in chinese, but after editing its english.
Anyway, I have included a screenshot of the rest of the files inside /vendor/factory so u can check if you look in the right place.
I also uploaded the country file here DELETE THE .TXT extension, I put it so I could upload it here.

Attachments

• COUNTRY.txt
    2 bytes · Views: 158
  • Screenshot_20200115-131443308.jpg
    Screenshot_20200115-131443308.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 617
Last edited:

reg66

Jan 7, 2007
Google Pixel 7 Pro
Xiaomi Pad 6

I found the solution so for anyone in the same position with me:

You will need to be rooted at the latest Pie version of RAW WW rom.

Yep, that's what i meant about the fingerprint - the CN to WW change of device fingerprint, not the actual fingerprint reader!! Glad you got it working ...

palamosteliaro

Jan 14, 2009
Yep, that's what i meant about the fingerprint - the CN to WW change of device fingerprint, not the actual fingerprint reader!! Glad you got it working ...

lol I am such a noob! I was reading around about changing the fingerprint and I thought the WW version had better fingerprint recognition and everyone was switching... :eek::eek:

AssyrianHero

Sep 21, 2016
Toronto
I have the same problem i have the tencent edition and the update i have is WW 1910.44_0 and i tried to update the firmware to the new one that i downloaded from asus website it says system update falied?? can someone help

Top Liked Posts