• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

System Update IMM76Q: VZN Galaxy Nexus

Search This thread

El Madhatter

Jul 3, 2011
Roswell
I received an OTA software update with build number IMM76Q. Has anyone else received it?

Attachments

• IMAG0243-1.jpg
    IMAG0243-1.jpg
    254.3 KB · Views: 3,268
Last edited:

anton2009

Aug 21, 2010
Lincoln, NE
Yeah. 949 kb is tinyyyyy. I can't believe Verizon would be this quick about an update Google has been working on for a week and released a day or two ago! But no..... a somewhat major software revision has to take 2 months. I realize the fact that it is only a very, very small update, and it doesn't change any major software/radio stuff... but still. You know what would be cool? If verizon pushed out software updates (i.e 4.0.4, 4.1) clean at first, then follow up with a second update on the radios.

efrant

Retired Senior Moderator & Developers Relations
Feb 12, 2009
Montreal
Samsung Galaxy S20

nbdysreal

Dec 21, 2010
Columbia, SC
As was mentioned, it is probably the disabling of the "local search" feature of the search bar.

Yeah, i know thats what it probably is. Verizon just always puts out a pdf on the support sites of their phones no matter how minuscule the update is. Like one that turned off the initial 4g free tethering last year said something like "enables 4g tethering plans" or something like that. Oh you tricky VZ...

oldblue910

Jan 1, 2011
Durham, NC
Yeah, i know thats what it probably is. Verizon just always puts out a pdf on the support sites of their phones no matter how minuscule the update is. Like one that turned off the initial 4g free tethering last year said something like "enables 4g tethering plans" or something like that. Oh you tricky VZ...

Definitely very weird that VZW wouldn't have updated the support PDFs. They update those things religiously when there's an OTA.

I hope this IMM76Q update isn't another IMM30B where someone accidentally pushes it to a few devices, shuts it off, and it fades into the ether, leaving anyone who applied the update stranded.

live4nyy

Mar 5, 2011
Yeah. 949 kb is tinyyyyy. I can't believe Verizon would be this quick about an update Google has been working on for a week and released a day or two ago! But no..... a somewhat major software revision has to take 2 months. I realize the fact that it is only a very, very small update, and it doesn't change any major software/radio stuff... but still. You know what would be cool? If verizon pushed out software updates (i.e 4.0.4, 4.1) clean at first, then follow up with a second update on the radios.

Technically, the updates come from Google. Since this update has nothing to do with aspects that would be specific to carrier use they probably didn't involve Verizon in this one.

oldblue910

Jan 1, 2011
Durham, NC
Technically, the updates come from Google. Since this update has nothing to do with aspects that would be specific to carrier use they probably didn't involve Verizon in this one.

As far as I'm aware, that's not an option. I believe VZW has to test and approve every single OTA that goes out to a phone on their network, regardless of how small or whether there is anything carrier-specific in it.

Apple is the lone exception to this rule. Verizon lets them do whatever the hell they want with the iPhone and iPad.

Last edited:

norm12

Aug 17, 2010
I spoke to a verizon tech rep this week---he said there was an update pending and suggested it was more about a radio fix. However, I'd take that with a grain of salt

live4nyy

Mar 5, 2011
As far as I'm aware, that's not an option. I believe VZW has to test and approve every single OTA that goes out to a phone on their network, regardless of how small or whether there is anything carrier-specific in it.

Apple is the lone exception to this rule. Verizon lets them do whatever the hell they want with the iPhone and iPad.

That's very unfortunate then.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I received an OTA software update with build number IMM76Q. Has anyone else received it?
    Queue the, "When I try to flash it I get an android laying on its back" posts. :)
    Despite its small size, it is a pretty extensive update. It includes a kernel patch, as well as updates to most of the system files.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I've noticed HTC does this, so I assume everyone else does too:

The patch files may contain no code changes, but merely signature/ version number updates. I haven't looked so far, but if they are 1-2kb patch files, there is a 99.99% chance it is just a meta-inf update.

It makes sense, as I am sure all they do is diff the current build from the previous and build the patch from there.

Edit: Now that I have looked, the real meat of the patch is in GoogleQuickSearchBox.odex (code for Google Search), framework.odex, and ext.jar. Even the kernel update is probably just a build date update, and no code change.

I would be surprised if this is much more than the nerf patch.
    Thanks to El MadHatter...

http://android.clients.google.com/p....signed-mysid-IMM76Q-from-IMM76K.b91e5f74.zip

It'll be mirrored on randomphantasmagoria.com later tonight in case Google takes it down.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Lol nice "screenshot".