Systemless Root on Ulefone Armor 10 5G: How I did it...

Search This thread

kc7gr

Oct 21, 2012
Kent
I'm pleased to report I've successfully done systemless root with MAGISK on the Ulefone Armor 10 5G. Turns out the process is nearly identical to the Armor 8.

My thanks to all contributors to this thread and this one. Here's what worked for me, developed with pieces culled from both.

WHAT YOU'LL NEED:

--The current version of ADB Platform Tools.
--The APK file for MAGISK (Current version, as of this post's date, is 22.0).
--ADB and Fastboot USB drivers. I found my copy here.
--A copy of the Armor 10's current ROM image. This can be had from Ulefone's site (non-EU version). If you need the EU version, use this link.
--A copy of vbmeta_null.img as found here.

HOW TO DO IT:

The usual disclaimers apply; Do this at your own risk, I'm not responsible if you brick or damage your device, or void your warranty, etc. I'm also going to condense the instructions a bit, on the assumption anyone who's serious about rooting already knows the basics.
  1. Unlock your phone's bootloader.
  2. Once you get through the factory initialization again, enable developer options.
  3. Install the ADB platform tools and USB drivers on your PC.
  4. Extract boot.img from the stock ROM download and place it in the same directory as your ADB tools install. Transfer vbmeta_null.bin to the same spot.
  5. Do a sideload install of the Magisk APK file to your phone.
  6. Copy the boot.img file to your phone's local storage using the file transfer method of your choice.
Assuming you survived the above, your phone is now unlocked and ready to root. Proceed as follows:
  1. Open the Magisk app. Click 'Install' for the Magisk Manager app, agree to any prompts, etc.
  2. Next, tick 'Install' for 'Install Magisk' (NOT the manager portion). When prompted for the method, choose 'Select and patch a file.'
  3. Select the 'boot.img' file you transferred to the phone's local storage in step 6 above. Once you do this, the patching process begins on its own.
  4. Magisk will write a root-patched copy, named 'magisk_patched_xxxxx.img,' to the same directory (the X's indicate an alphanumeric string).
  5. Transfer the patched image file back to the ADB tools directory on your PC, with whatever transfer means is comfortable for you.
  6. Now we get to the interesting part. Reboot the phone to fastboot mode, and make sure it's connected to your PC via USB.
  7. Open a command prompt window, on your PC, in the directory your ADB tools are installed.
  8. Type 'fastboot devices' to make sure the system sees your phone.
  9. Assuming all is well, type: 'fastboot flash vbmeta vbmeta_null.img' and hit enter. You should get appropriate responses saying the file was transferred.
  10. Next, type 'fastboot flash boot magisk_patched_xxxxx.img' (naturally, replace the X's with whatever string of characters Magisk supplied).
  11. Assuming no errors, type 'fastboot reboot' and hit enter. Your Armor 10 should now be rooted.
  12. Enjoy!
Happy tweaking.

Last edited:

foumfo

Jul 1, 2017
Hey, thank you for this guide but I'm facing an issue with step 9.
When I try to flash vbmeta_null.img, I'm getting this error "no such file or directory". I tried flashing just magisk but that gives me a bootloop

kc7gr

Oct 21, 2012
Kent
Hey, thank you for this guide but I'm facing an issue with step 9.
When I try to flash vbmeta_null.img, I'm getting this error "no such file or directory". I tried flashing just magisk but that gives me a bootloop

You're welcome. Did you make sure to put the vbmeta_null.img file in the same directory with your adb and fastboot executables?

foumfo

Jul 1, 2017
You're welcome. Did you make sure to put the vbmeta_null.img file in the same directory with your adb and fastboot executables?
Yep, I think the error message refers to the phone not having the vbmeta file. But after flashing magisk and rebooting to fastboot, flashing vbmeta works. But I'm still getting a bootloop

kc7gr

Oct 21, 2012
Kent
The sequence is also important: Install Magisk, flash modified boot.img, flash vbmeta_null. As I understand it, it's the act of installing Magisk which makes it possible to flash vbmeta.

Worst case: Do as I did, look at all available posts and experiment. You can find a sequence which works for you as well.

Stay well...

bd080392

Jan 23, 2019
Did someone try to flash a GSI Rom in the Ulefone Armor 10? I plan to flash Havoc GSI...Has anyone tried if everything is working? Is there also a TWRP Version for this Ulefone?

Last edited:

Acetonperoxid

Mar 28, 2021
Hello,
thank you for this Guide. I have Problems unlocking bootloader. "Enable OEM unlock" is set in debeloper settings. I tried "flashing unlock" and "oem unlock". Both give me a "Command failed".

Update: the problem was the USB-driver. The latest version from the web didnt work. Then i use the search-driver-function of windows device-manager. After that it worked.

Last edited:

lopestom

Nov 7, 2012
Archland - Narnia
mewe.com
Did someone try to flash a GSI Rom in the Ulefone Armor 10? I plan to flash Havoc GSI...Has anyone tried if everything is working? Is there also a TWRP Version for this Ulefone?
Yes. It has and not relesead yet! Need more tests. But you can look here: Some extra informations

Update: TWRP is now ready to use since July 1st. Two users have the file in the 4pda forum. I will not put the file here.

Hello,
thank you for this Guide. I have Problems unlocking bootloader. "Enable OEM unlock" is set in debeloper settings. I tried "flashing unlock" and "oem unlock". Both give me a "Command failed".

Update: the problem was the USB-driver. The latest version from the web didnt work. Then i use the search-driver-function of windows device-manager. After that it worked.
You need write:
Code:
fastboot flashing unlock

The message appears in the screen. Press Vol+ and wait. Reboot device and you see message about Orange State.. Your device's unlocked!

Last edited:

Dave136

Aug 16, 2008
Hello,

I use command for Ulefeno Armor 7

fastboot oem unlock-go
Or
fastboot oem unlock

finnd1

getting this when I try to push the vbmeta_null.img It is in the directory I'm running the command from

1624320561890.png

Last edited:

GauchoTche

Jan 7, 2022
Hello. There's little information on XDA for Uleafone phones. I've bought an Uleafone Armor X10 Pro. Could I do the same process as described here to install TWRP on it / flash magisk?

GauchoTche

Jan 7, 2022

I'm pleased to report I've successfully done systemless root with MAGISK on the Ulefone Armor 10 5G. Turns out the process is nearly identical to the Armor 8.

My thanks to all contributors to this thread and this one. Here's what worked for me, developed with pieces culled from both.

WHAT YOU'LL NEED:

--A copy of the Armor 10's current ROM image. This can be had from Ulefone's site (non-EU version). If you need the EU version, use this link.

HOW TO DO IT:

The usual disclaimers apply; Do this at your own risk, I'm not responsible if you brick or damage your device, or void your warranty, etc. I'm also going to condense the instructions a bit, on the assumption anyone who's serious about rooting already knows the basics.
  2. Once you get through the factory initialization again, enable developer options.
  4. Extract boot.img from the stock ROM download and place it in the same directory as your ADB tools install. Transfer vbmeta_null.bin to the same spot.
  6. Copy the boot.img file to your phone's local storage using the file transfer method of your choice.
Assuming you survived the above, your phone is now unlocked and ready to root. Proceed as follows:
  1. Open the Magisk app. Click 'Install' for the Magisk Manager app, agree to any prompts, etc.
  2. Next, tick 'Install' for 'Install Magisk' (NOT the manager portion). When prompted for the method, choose 'Select and patch a file.'
  3. Select the 'boot.img' file you transferred to the phone's local storage in step 6 above. Once you do this, the patching process begins on its own.
  4. Magisk will write a root-patched copy, named 'magisk_patched_xxxxx.img,' to the same directory (the X's indicate an alphanumeric string).
  5. Transfer the patched image file back to the ADB tools directory on your PC, with whatever transfer means is comfortable for you.
  6. Now we get to the interesting part. Reboot the phone to fastboot mode, and make sure it's connected to your PC via USB.
  7. Open a command prompt window, on your PC, in the directory your ADB tools are installed.
  9. Assuming all is well, type: 'fastboot flash vbmeta vbmeta_null.img' and hit enter. You should get appropriate responses saying the file was transferred.
  10. Next, type 'fastboot flash boot magisk_patched_xxxxx.img' (naturally, replace the X's with whatever string of characters Magisk supplied).
  11. Assuming no errors, type 'fastboot reboot' and hit enter. Your Armor 10 should now be rooted.
  12. Enjoy!
Happy tweaking.
Hello, gonna do this on an Armor X10 Pro. Already got it's original ROM. About vbmeta_null.img file, is that file universal, is it specific for Ulefone phones, or do I need one of those specific for Armor X10 Pro?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

WHAT YOU'LL NEED:

HOW TO DO IT:

12. Enjoy!
    Happy tweaking.