T-mob Galaxy S6 5.1.1 Updated -> Significant power draw when WiFi enabled

Search This thread

TAZ427

Jul 16, 2012
Sugar Land, TX
For some reason after the 5.1.1 update on my T-mobile Galaxy S6 it was running hot and looking at the power consumption it was draining the battery quickly. It drained about 15% of the battery in less than an hour w/ nothing running in the background, and the battery usage is displaying 1% for everything for some reason. The one on top is com.tmobile.pr.adapt.
I wasn't sure if T-mobile pulled something stupid like making one of their apps that communicates to their network, but only over their data (i.e. not over wifi - like they do with showing your account information.) So, I turned off the WiFi to let it run off of LTE for a while. It cooled down and power consumption went back to normal (for being on LTE.) I let it sit for a couple hours that way, then switched back to WiFi and within a few minutes it was heated back up and power draining fast for some reason. There's no indication of things being downloaded but it's drawing way too much power.

Note I've rebooted it 3 times w/ same type of power activity. :(

Any thoughts, and anyone know how to role back to 5.0?

mikeyinid

Sep 4, 2010
Boise
If you took the ota or used Odin to update you can't downgrade. I told everyone first thing this morning a downgrade won't be possible. Have you done a factory reset since updating?
I did a factory reset when I updated and battery life has been good with no strange issues.

Reactions: Aqua1ung

TAZ427

Jul 16, 2012
Sugar Land, TX
If you took the ota or used Odin to update you can't downgrade. I told everyone first thing this morning a downgrade won't be possible. Have you done a factory reset since updating?
I did a factory reset when I updated and battery life has been good with no strange issues.

Haven't tried a factory reset yet. I figured I couldn't downgrade as that's typical. I left it overnight w/ WiFi enabled and it drained downfrom 100% to 60% within the first 2hrs and then started draining slower to about 36% over then next 10hrs.

I topped it off w/ WiFi turned on and it felt like it was running hot. Left the house to run some errands for an hour and it only dropped to 96% (WiFi turned on but not connected.)

I've just got back from that, I'm going to let it sit for an hour w/ WiFi on but will leave it sit and see what happens. Personally I don't want to do a Factory Reset but if I'm still having the issue that's where I'll go. I had a similiar issue for a while on my S4 but it went away after a couple weeks.

EDIT: Ok, almost an hour later and it's only dropped about 3% while the WiFi was enabled and connected. I guess whatever was causing that has settled down. Thankfully no Factory Reset was required.

Last edited:

dchamero

May 15, 2010
It is because of a stupid bug on WiFi calling (the mobile antenna does not turn off and it drains the battery). If you want to use wifi, just disable wifi calling, and you should be ok

rico-b

Jun 17, 2015
I'm having a similar experience as TAZ427. Just updated my T-Mobile GS6 edge to 5.1.1 with OTA. I immediately noticed the phone was somewhat warmer. Battery monitor reveals that com.tmobile.pr.adapt is now #1 on the list. I tried killing that process several times but keeps coming back.
I also notice that despite being connected to my home WiFi, the "4GLTE" icon comes on and off constantly (1 second on, 3 seconds off, repeat...). Before the update, 4GLTE rarely came on while on WiFi. So probably the increased battery drain and heat are due to radio usage, not necessarily extra CPU utilization.
Not sure what com.tmobile.pr.adapt is for, or if it can be disabled. Would love to hear any guidance on that. As a side note, I had TMO grant me a SIM unlock -- I'm actually on Straight Talk (AT&T MVNO). So this service is running despite my phone not actually using the T-Mobile network.
I'm going to continue observing for the next couple of days before doing a factory reset. Really hoping to avoid that...

Reactions: kojaraty

FatalIll

Jul 28, 2011
I'm having a similar experience as TAZ427. Just updated my T-Mobile GS6 edge to 5.1.1 with OTA. I immediately noticed the phone was somewhat warmer. Battery monitor reveals that com.tmobile.pr.adapt is now #1 on the list. I tried killing that process several times but keeps coming back.
I also notice that despite being connected to my home WiFi, the "4GLTE" icon comes on and off constantly (1 second on, 3 seconds off, repeat...). Before the update, 4GLTE rarely came on while on WiFi. So probably the increased battery drain and heat are due to radio usage, not necessarily extra CPU utilization.
Not sure what com.tmobile.pr.adapt is for, or if it can be disabled. Would love to hear any guidance on that. As a side note, I had TMO grant me a SIM unlock -- I'm actually on Straight Talk (AT&T MVNO). So this service is running despite my phone not actually using the T-Mobile network.
I'm going to continue observing for the next couple of days before doing a factory reset. Really hoping to avoid that...

I'm noticing the exact same thing as far as the 4G LTE icon + WiFi and it's pissing me the f*** off. I've Factory Reset and everything after 5.1.1 update. I'm on MetroPCS with a TMO phone.

rjayflo

Feb 15, 2011
I never had this issue before the update

Sent from my SM-G920T using XDA Free mobile app

ambervals6

Jun 14, 2015

You guys are finally confirming what I noticed since first time I upgraded. Data turns on automatically and that only happens when wifi is on. Sucks.

I'm noticing the exact same thing as far as the 4G LTE icon + WiFi and it's pissing me the f*** off. I've Factory Reset and everything after 5.1.1 update. I'm on MetroPCS with a TMO phone.

Sent from my SM-G920T

FatalIll

Jul 28, 2011
You guys are finally confirming what I noticed since first time I upgraded. Data turns on automatically and that only happens when wifi is on. Sucks.

Sent from my SM-G920T

I think I found a semifix, someone else will have to investigate because I have no idea what I actually did or if it's a longterm fix...
Go to Data Usage in Settings, find com.tmobile.pr.adapt or whatever it is, turn OFF Background Data. Go to Application Manager, find com.tmobile.pr.adapt and Force Close, Clear Data. I wasn't able to disable it but it seems the Background Data being turned off fixed it.

ambervals6

Jun 14, 2015
I think I found a semifix, someone else will have to investigate because I have no idea what I actually did or if it's a longterm fix...
Go to Data Usage in Settings, find com.tmobile.pr.adapt or whatever it is, turn OFF Background Data. Go to Application Manager, find com.tmobile.pr.adapt and Force Close, Clear Data. I wasn't able to disable it but it seems the Background Data being turned off fixed it.

I did that. Will let you know

Sent from my SM-G920T

Reactions: FatalIll

kojaraty

Nov 22, 2011

I am having the same issue and my phone is not usable now since the battery is awful. My s6 is temporary unlocked for a month since I am out of the states. I am afraid this is happening for unlocked s6's only. The trick of restricting background data for the "com.mobile.pr.adapt" seems to be working for now.

FatalIll

Jul 28, 2011
I am having the same issue and my phone is not usable now since the battery is awful. My s6 is temporary unlocked for a month since I am out of the states. I am afraid this is happening for unlocked s6's only. The trick of restricting background data for the "com.mobile.pr.adapt" seems to be working for now.

My S6 is not unlocked, it's a T-Mobile variant right out of the box activated on MetroPCS. If I had to venture a guess it would be that this is only happening to phones not on T-Mobile, not necessarily just unlocked. I'm assuming that com.tmobile.pr.adapt is some kind of phonehome or data reporter for T-Mobile but since we're not on T-Mobile it keeps bouncing back and getting stuck in some stupid loop.

Apr 11, 2015
I have the same problem with my unlocked t-mobile device (running on att). I wouldn't be so pissed if the update at least fixed the memory drain, but noooooope. Now I'm stuck with a 450mb phone that crashes and has bad battery (last two are new).

I did that small hotfix, and will check back.

troysyx

Aug 24, 2012
Gresham
Has everyone cleared the cache partition? Since the update, is the download booster automatically set to on?

rico-b

Jun 17, 2015
Happy to report that for me, this "com.tmobile.pr.adapt" issue has effectively gone away. Things started getting better after I cleared the cache and data for this process. I also restricted its background data as was suggested by others. Not sure which of those actions did the trick. Just theorizing, but another possibility is that T-Mobile was simply collecting post-update metrics from their phones for QA purposes, and that this was all just a short term annoyance. Anyone still seeing battery drain and heat higher than normal due to this process?
Anyway, "com.tmobile.pr.adapt" is no longer registering on my battery usage menu, or on CPU utilization list when I run OS Monitor. The phone is performing well overall (no worse than before the 5.1.1 update, anyway).

Reactions: nseriessaga

fumes007

Mar 15, 2013
Excellent battery life for me. I had over 17 hours in total & 3+ hours on screen time. Only problem is i cant seem to install downloaded apps manually

Adam Longaway

Jun 19, 2015
Thanks

After the 5.1.1 update this morning my S6 went from a 100% charge to 10% in about 2.5 hours which was disheartening. Tried a factory reset which didn't help. Even charging from a USB port didn't stop it from draining the battery (just drained slower)! Called TING and they had no idea. But this seems to be working for me too. Thanks!!! I'll email TING to let them know about the fix, may help with a future update?

FatalIll

Jul 28, 2011
After the 5.1.1 update this morning my S6 went from a 100% charge to 10% in about 2.5 hours which was disheartening. Tried a factory reset which didn't help. Even charging from a USB port didn't stop it from draining the battery (just drained slower)! Called TING and they had no idea. But this seems to be working for me too. Thanks!!! I'll email TING to let them know about the fix, may help with a future update?

I think it has more to do with T-Mobile pushing a fix or an update, because whatever they did to 5.1.1 on their end royally screwed anyone using their branded S6 on another carrier. I don't know the proper channels to make T-Mobile aware of this.

bitbank

I have the same annoying problem on my 920T. I bought it from t-mo, unlocked it and am using it in Italy. As soon as I got the 5.1.1 update, com.tmobile.pr.adapt started killing my battery. I just enabled the "restrict background data" and will let you know how it goes...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Sent from my SM-G920T

For some reason after the 5.1.1 update on my T-mobile Galaxy S6 it was running hot and looking at the power consumption it was draining the battery quickly. It drained about 15% of the battery in less than an hour w/ nothing running in the background, and the battery usage is displaying 1% for everything for some reason. The one on top is com.tmobile.pr.adapt.
    I wasn't sure if T-mobile pulled something stupid like making one of their apps that communicates to their network, but only over their data (i.e. not over wifi - like they do with showing your account information.) So, I turned off the WiFi to let it run off of LTE for a while. It cooled down and power consumption went back to normal (for being on LTE.) I let it sit for a couple hours that way, then switched back to WiFi and within a few minutes it was heated back up and power draining fast for some reason. There's no indication of things being downloaded but it's drawing way too much power.

Note I've rebooted it 3 times w/ same type of power activity. :(

Any thoughts, and anyone know how to role back to 5.0?

I did that. Will let you know

Sent from my SM-G920T