• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

T-Mobile 6T to International Conversion (WITHOUT unlocked bootloader/SIM unlock!)

Search This thread
Nov 13, 2018
In the previous thread, we discussed a method to convert T-Mobile 6T's to the international variant, sort of, but it required an unlocked bootloader, which itself requires a SIM unlock which T-Mobile gives people a hard time about.

However, it is through @Dark Nightmare and @iaTa's efforts that we've come this far. Today, I share with everyone a new method to turn a T-Mobile 6T into an international variant. One that does NOT require an unlocked bootloader or a SIM unlock!

Before you proceed: Following the steps below WILL wipe your phone. Please backup all of your important files from the phone before proceeding.

Here are the steps:
1) Download 6T MsmDownloadTool v4.0.58 (OOS v9.0.11) provided by @iaTa
2) Download patched flasher tools here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1dYuVxnf_J97KPrRt6KEBOjau1BRvtnJQ (the patches simply remove checks that allow all the images to be flashed on the phone, I've personally tested the "MsmDownloadTool V4.0_factory_patched.exe" but not the "MsmDownloadTool V4.0_factory_mcl_op1_patched.exe" variant. You can do a binary diff on the EXEs against the originals in case there's any issues with trust.
3) Shut down your T-Mobile 6T completely
4) Press and hold Volume Up and Volume down keys simultaneously
5) With those two buttons held down, plug in your USB cord to your PC
6) Ensure that the USB drivers for Qcom download mode are installed and working (available in the MSMDownloadTool thread)
7) Extract the patched tools EXEs to the same directory as where you extracted the MSMDownloadTool
8) Run "MsmDownloadTool V4.0_factory_patched.exe" (or the other one, if you're feeling adventurous)
9) Click "Start" when you're ready to start patching the phone
10) After about 5 minutes it will finish its job and reboot the phone
11) Phone will boot normally, but no more T-Mobile logo, and instead there is the OxygenOS generic logo
12) Now your T-Mobile 6T is now running identical software to the unlocked 6T sold directly by OnePlus, and running the latest software (OxygenOS 9.0.11 at the time of this writing). You can even participate in Open Betas if you'd like, and the "Local Upgrade" feature is now enabled and working.
13) ???
14) Profit

Hope this helps somebody out.

It definitely works.

Last edited:

Ricky21Key

Jun 24, 2016
This is great news! Did this method override the critical partitions in your test to fully convert? Did it become a full conversion or is it just another cool method to use the international Oxygen OS? You think OTA will work as normal now as well instead of doing a local upgrade and etc? Great job and excuse the numerous questions. I'm just curious and excited about this. I've been lurking in these related threads all this time and watching them progress. Lol

lemonspeakers

Jan 11, 2009
New York
My tmo variant 6T is carrier unlocked and bootloader unlocked and converted to international via the old conversion method downloading the full OTA and flashing the "flash all" bin.

By using this MSM tool, after it locks up my bootloader again, can I still use my old unlock bin? Or will I have to request a new bin key from OnePlus?

Striatum_bdr

May 29, 2011
Marseille
My tmo variant 6T is carrier unlocked and bootloader unlocked and converted to international via the old conversion method downloading the full OTA and flashing the "flash all" bin.

By using this MSM tool, after it locks up my bootloader again, can I still use my old unlock bin? Or will I have to request a new bin key from OnePlus?

The answer is two posts above yours. As the whole phone had been rewrote you have the international version and therefore don't need any bin key.

five40

Jan 18, 2008
NYC
I was running 9.06 for a while then switched back to the T-mobile rom.
Yesterday I tried to convert to 9.011
The phone would reboot itself right after I got to the setup screen so I MSM back to T-Mobile rom.
Does anyone know if this method would correct that bug?

G

GuestK00177

Holy s h i t

Nice work! I am elated the project has come this far!..nicely done guys! I'll guinea pig it up with the other exe later.

zerosim

Dec 28, 2018
This is awesome, thank you for the post! So after converting, we can unlock the bootloader and flash a custom kernel the same way? I was tempt on keeping my bootloader locked to keep HD videos for Netflix and any other app. I hear it's not safe to flash a custom kernel and then re-lock bootloader? Any advice would be nice.

Nonetheless, glad to see we can convert without having to unlock the bootloader! Cheers!

Jeffro64

Feb 6, 2010
Sugar Land, Texas
Just did the conversion, so far so good. Running the OPBackup/Restore to get everything setup.

Questions about using the OPBackup/Restore as this is my first OP phone. Sorry if I sound dumb LOL, Just never used OPBackup/Restore before...Thanks for any help.

Do I need to setup an account on the OP site to backup?
When doing a restore do you skip during setup/sign in as far as all apps being downloaded from google?
And does the OPBackup/Restore restore all apps and settings putting the phone right back where it was before?

Nov 13, 2018
This is awesome, thank you for the post! So after converting, we can unlock the bootloader and flash a custom kernel the same way? I was tempt on keeping my bootloader locked to keep HD videos for Netflix and any other app. I hear it's not safe to flash a custom kernel and then re-lock bootloader? Any advice would be nice

Yes you can unlock the bootloader after the conversion and flash anything you'd like at that point. However I don't recommend relocking your phone if you've flashed anything custom as that could leave your phone in a soft bricked state and you'd have to wipe your phone again with msm tool.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    In the previous thread, we discussed a method to convert T-Mobile 6T's to the international variant, sort of, but it required an unlocked bootloader, which itself requires a SIM unlock which T-Mobile gives people a hard time about.

However, it is through @Dark Nightmare and @iaTa's efforts that we've come this far. Today, I share with everyone a new method to turn a T-Mobile 6T into an international variant. One that does NOT require an unlocked bootloader or a SIM unlock!

Before you proceed: Following the steps below WILL wipe your phone. Please backup all of your important files from the phone before proceeding.

Here are the steps:
    1) Download 6T MsmDownloadTool v4.0.58 (OOS v9.0.11) provided by @iaTa
    2) Download patched flasher tools here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1dYuVxnf_J97KPrRt6KEBOjau1BRvtnJQ (the patches simply remove checks that allow all the images to be flashed on the phone, I've personally tested the "MsmDownloadTool V4.0_factory_patched.exe" but not the "MsmDownloadTool V4.0_factory_mcl_op1_patched.exe" variant. You can do a binary diff on the EXEs against the originals in case there's any issues with trust.
    3) Shut down your T-Mobile 6T completely
    4) Press and hold Volume Up and Volume down keys simultaneously
    5) With those two buttons held down, plug in your USB cord to your PC
    6) Ensure that the USB drivers for Qcom download mode are installed and working (available in the MSMDownloadTool thread)
    7) Extract the patched tools EXEs to the same directory as where you extracted the MSMDownloadTool
    8) Run "MsmDownloadTool V4.0_factory_patched.exe" (or the other one, if you're feeling adventurous)
    9) Click "Start" when you're ready to start patching the phone
    10) After about 5 minutes it will finish its job and reboot the phone
    11) Phone will boot normally, but no more T-Mobile logo, and instead there is the OxygenOS generic logo
    12) Now your T-Mobile 6T is now running identical software to the unlocked 6T sold directly by OnePlus, and running the latest software (OxygenOS 9.0.11 at the time of this writing). You can even participate in Open Betas if you'd like, and the "Local Upgrade" feature is now enabled and working.
    13) ???
    14) Profit

Hope this helps somebody out.

It definitely works.
    If you want to unlock bootloader after it's converted, then it's just a simple fastboot oem unlock WITHOUT having to wait 7 days for OnePlus unlock bin. Just like the 6T sold by OnePlus directly. And you can even load a dual-SIM tray and both SIM slots work normally.
    I created a video tutorial for those who may be having issues or struggling with the process. Enjoy!
    Note: It's currently still processing, so the quality will be improved when that's complete.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mh-tjPPz2Ws
    NOTHING is wrong or missing in the instructions; follow them EXACTLY..
    Use winzip NOT winrar..Make sure your computer has the QUALCOMM driver installed
    Make sure your pc sees your phone.
    Use the cable your phone came with
    Try a different USB port

If this doesnt work for you, its YOUR fault, not the instructions or the OP's fault
    I don't have the T-Mobile 6T, but on top of giving an idea, I wanted to say congratulations!

Now as for an idea, if you guys want to see if OTA updating works, couldn't you guys:

1. do the conversion
    2. downgrade with an older msm tool
    3. reboot and test software update in the os

That way you won't have to wait to see if it works?

Edit: If you're searching for a downgrade, I've been collecting all factory images and MSMTool for the 6T here: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=285795

The one that will take you to the original OxygenOS (9.0.5) for the non T-Mobile variant is in the "OxygenOS MSMDownloadTool" folder named "oneplus6t_fajita_oxygen_41_o.11_181103.zip"