T-Mobile 6T to International Conversion (WITHOUT unlocked bootloader/SIM unlock!)

raven911

Aug 17, 2009
any way you can update to android 10 without losing play protect certification and also without rooting the device?
I am also wondering for folks who converted to international rom, and re-locked their bootloaders, has anyone been able to update to Android 10 while maintaining, play store certification, Safetynet and Widevine L1? Thanks!

fawazmat111

Dec 20, 2020
In the previous thread, we discussed a method to convert T-Mobile 6T's to the international variant, sort of, but it required an unlocked bootloader, which itself requires a SIM unlock which T-Mobile gives people a hard time about.

However, it is through @Dark Nightmare and @iaTa's efforts that we've come this far. Today, I share with everyone a new method to turn a T-Mobile 6T into an international variant. One that does NOT require an unlocked bootloader or a SIM unlock!

Before you proceed: Following the steps below WILL wipe your phone. Please backup all of your important files from the phone before proceeding.

Here are the steps:
1) Download 6T MsmDownloadTool v4.0.58 (OOS v9.0.11) provided by @iaTa
2) Download patched flasher tools here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1dYuVxnf_J97KPrRt6KEBOjau1BRvtnJQ (the patches simply remove checks that allow all the images to be flashed on the phone, I've personally tested the "MsmDownloadTool V4.0_factory_patched.exe" but not the "MsmDownloadTool V4.0_factory_mcl_op1_patched.exe" variant. You can do a binary diff on the EXEs against the originals in case there's any issues with trust.
3) Shut down your T-Mobile 6T completely
4) Press and hold Volume Up and Volume down keys simultaneously
5) With those two buttons held down, plug in your USB cord to your PC
6) Ensure that the USB drivers for Qcom download mode are installed and working (available in the MSMDownloadTool thread)
7) Extract the patched tools EXEs to the same directory as where you extracted the MSMDownloadTool
8) Run "MsmDownloadTool V4.0_factory_patched.exe" (or the other one, if you're feeling adventurous)
9) Click "Start" when you're ready to start patching the phone
10) After about 5 minutes it will finish its job and reboot the phone
11) Phone will boot normally, but no more T-Mobile logo, and instead there is the OxygenOS generic logo
12) Now your T-Mobile 6T is now running identical software to the unlocked 6T sold directly by OnePlus, and running the latest software (OxygenOS 9.0.11 at the time of this writing). You can even participate in Open Betas if you'd like, and the "Local Upgrade" feature is now enabled and working.
13) ???
14) Profit

Hope this helps somebody out.

It definitely works.
tannnnks

Syttorak

Nov 26, 2019
In the previous thread, we discussed a method to convert T-Mobile 6T's to the international variant, sort of, but it required an unlocked bootloader, which itself requires a SIM unlock which T-Mobile gives people a hard time about.

However, it is through @Dark Nightmare and @iaTa's efforts that we've come this far. Today, I share with everyone a new method to turn a T-Mobile 6T into an international variant. One that does NOT require an unlocked bootloader or a SIM unlock!

Before you proceed: Following the steps below WILL wipe your phone. Please backup all of your important files from the phone before proceeding.

Here are the steps:
2) Download patched flasher tools here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1dYuVxnf_J97KPrRt6KEBOjau1BRvtnJQ (the patches simply remove checks that allow all the images to be flashed on the phone, I've personally tested the "MsmDownloadTool V4.0_factory_patched.exe" but not the "MsmDownloadTool V4.0_factory_mcl_op1_patched.exe" variant. You can do a binary diff on the EXEs against the originals in case there's any issues with trust.
6) Ensure that the USB drivers for Qcom download mode are installed and working (available in the MSMDownloadTool thread)
7) Extract the patched tools EXEs to the same directory as where you extracted the MSMDownloadTool
8) Run "MsmDownloadTool V4.0_factory_patched.exe" (or the other one, if you're feeling adventurous)
11) Phone will boot normally, but no more T-Mobile logo, and instead there is the OxygenOS generic logo
12) Now your T-Mobile 6T is now running identical software to the unlocked 6T sold directly by OnePlus, and running the latest software (OxygenOS 9.0.11 at the time of this writing). You can even participate in Open Betas if you'd like, and the "Local Upgrade" feature is now enabled and working.
13) ???
14) Profit

It definitely works.
I trust that this procedure DOES WORK, because it is very well written and besides there are many people commenting after you posted this saying it worked..

*SO MY QUESTION IS - Will this still work TODAY TO DATE, I ask this because I just picked up a beautiful 10/10 condition "refurbished" T-Mobile Oneplus 6t...But it is on the OOS 10.3.7
So can I still use this procedure?
Even though it sounds like it would result in a OS downgrade? Will that make this not possible, or will it still work properly? I don't even use TMobile I have Metro PCS which I have been using for a while, and it is wonderful in my area, The phone I bought is Carrier unlocked. So it will work flawlessly, but i still want to ROOT my phone.. Obviously ;-)

Sytto

scorpio76r

Jan 10, 2016
All over like street lights
I trust that this procedure DOES WORK, because it is very well written and besides there are many people commenting after you posted this saying it worked..

*SO MY QUESTION IS - Will this still work TODAY TO DATE, I ask this because I just picked up a beautiful 10/10 condition "refurbished" T-Mobile Oneplus 6t...But it is on the OOS 10.3.7
So can I still use this procedure?
Even though it sounds like it would result in a OS downgrade? Will that make this not possible, or will it still work properly? I don't even use TMobile I have Metro PCS which I have been using for a while, and it is wonderful in my area, The phone I bought is Carrier unlocked. So it will work flawlessly, but i still want to ROOT my phone.. Obviously ;-)

Sytto
Yes, you will be good to go. I also use metro pcs too.

bendodge

Aug 15, 2011
I bought two 6T T-Mobile edition phones on Swappa. I'm trying to install LOS, but I get the exact same problem on both.

Both phones had "Enable OEM Unlock" greyed out in developer options, so I used the patched MSM tool. Then I enable OEM unlock and issued fastboot oem unlock. This works, and I can still boot into Oxygen. The bootloader shows as unlocked.

Then I try to flash TWRP or LOS Recovery. The flash appears successful, but the phone gets stuck on the warning ""the bootloader is unlocked" screen. At this point, it can no longer boot into Oxygen until I use the MSM tool again.

Any idea where I'm going wrong? Exact same problem on both phones. I'm using Windows 10 for MSM tool and Kubuntu 20.04 for fastboot.

Libraplum76

Oct 25, 2017
Reside where peace is present
I bought two 6T T-Mobile edition phones on Swappa. I'm trying to install LOS, but I get the exact same problem on both.

Both phones had "Enable OEM Unlock" greyed out in developer options, so I used the patched MSM tool. Then I enable OEM unlock and issued fastboot oem unlock. This works, and I can still boot into Oxygen. The bootloader shows as unlocked.

Then I try to flash TWRP or LOS Recovery. The flash appears successful, but the phone gets stuck on the warning ""the bootloader is unlocked" screen. At this point, it can no longer boot into Oxygen until I use the MSM tool again.

Any idea where I'm going wrong? Exact same problem on both phones. I'm using Windows 10 for MSM tool and Kubuntu 20.04 for fastboot.
Hello,

This link may help.

tpag02

Apr 16, 2012
I followed the steps and succeded on the conversion, but I'm unable to make/receive calls. Whenever I try to make a call, for example I lose the signal and get an error message saying "Mobile network not available". This doesn't happen in the T-Mobile ROM, where everything works perfectly.

Do you guys happen to know the reason why this happens??? I'm desperate.

scorpio76r

Jan 10, 2016
All over like street lights
I followed the steps and succeded on the conversion, but I'm unable to make/receive calls. Whenever I try to make a call, for example I lose the signal and get an error message saying "Mobile network not available". This doesn't happen in the T-Mobile ROM, where everything works perfectly.

Do you guys happen to know the reason why this happens??? I'm desperate.
Go into twrp flash OOS again, then hit add zip and, flash magisk. Problem solved.

crazyotto

Feb 1, 2011

Here are the steps:
13) ???
14) Profit

It definitely works.
UPDATE: I managed to get a Win8.1Pro VM set up, and it turns out all the drivers, adb & fastboot all work as long as I make sure the USB passthrough is pointing to the correct device each time the phone or VM restarts. So I think my rambling below are all moot now -- but I won't erase my noob questions, in case it turns out to be helpful to anyone else for some reason. --MN

-=-=-=-=

CORRECTION: it was a WIn7 VM, and I wasn't doing the initial (powered-off) USB connection correctly. When I figured that out, it turned out the Qualcomm driver wasn't installing correctly. I think the rest of my questions still hold, though. --MN

Fast-forward to 2021, and I'm seeing some relatively recent forum traffic saying that this does still work. My issue is that I don't have any Win10 available. I converted to Linux on the desktop years ago, and we use Mac for work. The closest I can get is a Win8 VM [correction: Win7 VM] which *does* recognize the phone, and *seems* to install the drivers & both "adb" & "fastboot" even see the device. But when I pull up any of the v9.0.x MSM programs (factory or patched) they don't have any device listed, and clicking "Enum" does nothing, while clicking "start" just results in the tool sitting there forever (just let it run overnight). Yes, I've tried running them all as a normal user and as Administrator.

T-Mobile OnePlus 6t A6013_34_201124, supposedly (sim?) unlocked, but definitely boot-loader locked, running OOS 10.3.7.

I realize I represent an uncommon use-case, but is there really no option other than running MSM on Win10?

[edited for spelling & slight clarification]

Last edited: