• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

T-Mobile 6T to International Conversion (WITHOUT unlocked bootloader/SIM unlock!)

Search This thread

ipdev

Recognized Contributor
Feb 14, 2016
Google Nexus 10
Nexus 7 (2013)
Thanks for the help but we are both asking OnePlus to give us the token because every time we download the token there is an error on the page we need the token because we are both on Android 10 and we have the bootloader blocked so we cannot do that process
Thank you for the response but, I am still a little confused. :unsure:

Are you trying to unlock the carrier or the bootloader?

Unless a roll-back protection was added, you should be able to flash an older Global with the msm tool.
If you are carrier unlocked, then you should have no problem switching to Global.

You do not need an unlocked bootloader to use the msm tool.
Once you are running the Global rom, you can simply enable Developer options, OEM unlock and the use fastboot to unlock the bootloader.

I just downgraded mine from v10.3.10 to v9.0.11 using the msm tool.

Booted into Windows 7 Pro.
Let Windows update and rebooted into Windows after the updates finished.

I used the v4.9_factory_patched version to flash my 6T.
Using the msm tool, I downgraded from Global v10.3.10 to Global v9.0.11

I Skipped though the initial setup and enabled Developer options.
Enabled OEM unlock and rebooted into bootloader.
Used fastboot flashing unlock to unlock the bootloader.
As expected, this wiped all data and I was once again on a clean install with an unlocked bootloader. ;)

Cheers. :cowboy:

Last edited:

vickmen

Apr 15, 2014
New York
Thank you for the response but, I am still a little confused. :unsure:

Are you trying to unlock the carrier or the bootloader?

Unless a roll-back protection was added, you should be able to flash an older Global with the msm tool.
If you are carrier unlocked, then you should have no problem switching to Global.

You do not need an unlocked bootloader to use the msm tool.
Once you are running the Global rom, you can simply enable Developer options, OEM unlock and the use fastboot to unlock the bootloader.

I just downgraded mine from v10.3.10 to v9.0.11 using the msm tool.

Booted into Windows 7 Pro.
Let Windows update and rebooted into Windows after the updates finished.

I used the v4.9_factory_patched version to flash my 6T.
Using the msm tool, I downgraded from Global v10.3.10 to Global v9.0.11

I Skipped though the initial setup and enabled Developer options.
Enabled OEM unlock and rebooted into bootloader.
As expected, this wiped all data and I was once again on a clean install with an unlocked bootloader. ;)

sure that my phone will not damage me?

ipdev

Recognized Contributor
Feb 14, 2016
Google Nexus 10
Nexus 7 (2013)
sure that my phone will not damage me?
No.

I can only state what works (worked) for me.
There is always a risk when flashing/modifying a device.

My 6T has been a problem at times.
Since we can not flash critical partitions using fastboot, I have had to use the msm tool to fully wipe and reset mine more than once.

It was a while ago that I originally converted from T-Mobile to Global, I do not remember the T-Mobile version of OOS I was on.
Carrier was unlocked but, bootloader unlock (oem unlock was greyed out in setting) was not available.

It is up to you to decide to take a risk. 🙃

PS.
Do not flash when you are tired.
My first hard-brick device was from flashing when I was tired.
I learned from that mistake ;)

vickmen

Apr 15, 2014
New York
No.

I can only state what works (worked) for me.
There is always a risk when flashing/modifying a device.

My 6T has been a problem at times.
Since we can not flash critical partitions using fastboot, I have had to use the msm tool to fully wipe and reset mine more than once.

It was a while ago that I originally converted from T-Mobile to Global, I do not remember the T-Mobile version of OOS I was on.
Carrier was unlocked but, bootloader unlock (oem unlock was greyed out in setting) was not available.

It is up to you to decide to take a risk. 🙃

PS.
Do not flash when you are tired.
My first hard-brick device was from flashing when I was tired.
I learned from that mistake ;)
I know that but my OnePlus works fine, only I do not have the bootloader unlocked and my doubt is if I do that process, it will damage me

BreenyBaby

Apr 11, 2016
@vickmen
@BreenyBaby

Hi. :)

It has been a while since I converted my 6T from T-Mobile to global.
Carrier was unlocked when I got it.

What bin file are you trying to use from OnePlus?
From the screen shot it looks like the web browser is displaying the raw unpacked bin file?

Did you contact T-Mobile about unlocking the carrier?

I bought mine second hand and it was already carrier unlocked.
There was a T-Mobile app installed for carrier unlock, I did not need to use it.
com.tmobile.rsuapp

Old posts but, this was my journey.
Post - 1,744
Post - 1,749
Post - 2,060

You might be interested in [T-Mobile / Guide] - Full SIM and Bootloader Unlock + Root for locked devices - xdaThread - Link

You can always create a repair ticket with OnePlus and send your device in to be updated.
This will include updating/restoring secure/proprietary partitions.
Might take a few weeks to get your phone back.
Not under warranty, there will be a cost involved.

Checking emailtodat I see a message from OnePlus saying that his is an issue with their website that they are working on and expect to have working properly by the end of the week

Reactions: ipdev

PhoneThe4th

May 19, 2021
Hi XDA forum! Thanks for all your great work and I love this community. New guy here.

I recently implemented the OnePlus 6T "T-Mo to Global" conversion (to version 9.0.13) successfully with the MSMdownload 4.0 patched method listed, and able to unlock my bootloader.

I want to install TWRP or Lineage Recovery to install LineageOS, but any attempt to "fastboot boot" into them using the .img files always has me frozen on the "Fastboot Mode" logo once my PC auto-reboots the phone after I hit the "enter" key to run the "fastboot boot ___.img," unless I do a hard shutoff (Vol up + Vol down + Power buttons) to turn off the phone. I have also tried to "flash boot" to both "boot_a" & "boot_b" and still the same result. Any assistance to finally have TWRP/Lineage Recovery finally boot?

ipdev

Recognized Contributor
Feb 14, 2016
Google Nexus 10
Nexus 7 (2013)
I know that but my OnePlus works fine, only I do not have the bootloader unlocked and my doubt is if I do that process, it will damage me
Sorry for the extreme delay.

Finally had time to familiarize myself again with fajita, dig though the threads and do some testing.
I was on Global OOS v10.3.10

I restored mine to T-Mobile's OOS v10.3.7 using this one.
[TOOL] T-Mobile OnePlus 6T MSMDownloadTool [Firmware 9.0.13] [8/9] - xdaThread - Post 372 - Link
Forgot how Bright and annoying the Pink splash screen was. ;)

Enabled OEM unlock under developer options and rebooted to bootloader.

As expected I could NOT unlock the bootloader without an unlock bin file.
This would normally come from the carrier.

Both fastboot oem unlock and fastboot flashing unlock gave the same error message.
Code:
[[email protected] 6T]$ fastboot flashing unlock
FAILED (remote: 'Please flash unlock token first!
')
fastboot: error: Command failed

[[email protected] 6T]$ fastboot oem unlock
FAILED (remote: 'Please flash unlock token first!
')
fastboot: error: Command failed

I then converted back to Global v9.0.11 using the patched msmTool from the OP.

Enabled OEM unlock under developer options and rebooted to bootloader.

Code:
[[email protected] 6T]$ fastboot flashing unlock
OKAY [  0.036s]
Finished. Total time: 0.036s

Since the OnePlus Recovery for 6T is useless, I used TWRP to update to Global v10.3.10.
OnePlus broke fastboot for a time and fastboot boot would not work.​
Apparently it was around v9.0.11 so you have to flash TWRP to boot and then boot.​
As an Essential PH-1 user, I was familiar with the steps. ;)

Code:
[[email protected] 6T]$ fastboot boot /ip/twrp/twrp-3.5.2_9-0-fajita.img
Sending 'boot.img' (32508 KB)                      OKAY [  1.172s]
Booting                                            OKAY [  0.091s]
Finished. Total time: 1.288s
[[email protected] 6T]$
This did not work on OOS v9.0.11 so...

Code:
[[email protected] 6T]$ fastboot getvar current-slot
current-slot: a
Finished. Total time: 0.002s
[[email protected] 6T]$ fastboot flash boot_b /ip/twrp/twrp-3.5.2_9-0-fajita.img
Sending 'boot_b' (32508 KB)                        OKAY [  1.168s]
Writing 'boot_b'                                   OKAY [  0.167s]
Finished. Total time: 1.362s
[[email protected] 6T]$ fastboot set_active b
Setting current slot to 'b'                        OKAY [  0.034s]
Finished. Total time: 0.035s
[[email protected] 6T]$ fastboot reboot
Rebooting                                          OKAY [  0.000s]
Finished. Total time: 0.151s
On device, now booted into TWRP..
TWRP-> Advanced-> ADB Sideload (Swipe to Start)​
Code:
[[email protected]t 6T]$ cd v10.3.10/
[[email protected] v10.3.10]$ adb sideload OnePlus6TOxygen_34.J.53_OTA_053_all_2104202232_6dc335b9d3b53.zip
Total xfer: 1.00x
Since I was on slot B the update was installed to slot A.
Just to be safe, and since TWRP was installed as boot on B, I wanted to installed v10.3.10 to slot B also.
Normally you could just boot into system after an update.

On device..
TWRP-> Reboot-> Bootloader​

Since I was now on slot A (OOS v10.3.10) fastboot once again supports boot.
I was lazy and just started TWRP sideload and rebooted from adb. ;)

Code:
[[email protected] v10.3.10]$ fastboot boot /ip/twrp/twrp-3.5.2_9-0-fajita.img
Sending 'boot.img' (32508 KB)                      OKAY [  1.154s]
Booting                                            OKAY [  0.088s]
Finished. Total time: 1.263s
[[email protected] v10.3.10]$ adb shell twrp sideload
[[email protected] v10.3.10]$ adb sideload OnePlus6TOxygen_34.J.53_OTA_053_all_2104202232_6dc335b9d3b53.zip
Total xfer: 1.00x                                                                         
[[email protected] v10.3.10]$ adb reboot

Note:
The one thing I do not remember is if we need to flash an OOS version between v9.0.11 and v10.3.10.
I might be thinking about 5T..

My carrier (sim) unlock was maintained.
I was a little concerned flashing back to the T-Mobile OOS version that I would also become carrier locked.
- Risk I decided to take for testing. ;)

The msmTool flashes at a low level so, you should be able to use it to restore your device.
It notes as fire hose, that is why I was worried I would lose my carrier unlock flashing the T-Mobile version..
Maybe the carrier lock is added after a full restore??

Second Note:
The msmTool was run using Windows.
Win 7 Pro.

The fastboot and adb commands were run using Linux.
fedora 33

Hope it helps more than confuse.

Last edited:

ipdev

Recognized Contributor
Feb 14, 2016
Google Nexus 10
Nexus 7 (2013)
Hi XDA forum! Thanks for all your great work and I love this community. New guy here.

I recently implemented the OnePlus 6T "T-Mo to Global" conversion (to version 9.0.13) successfully with the MSMdownload 4.0 patched method listed, and able to unlock my bootloader.

I want to install TWRP or Lineage Recovery to install LineageOS, but any attempt to "fastboot boot" into them using the .img files always has me frozen on the "Fastboot Mode" logo once my PC auto-reboots the phone after I hit the "enter" key to run the "fastboot boot ___.img," unless I do a hard shutoff (Vol up + Vol down + Power buttons) to turn off the phone. I have also tried to "flash boot" to both "boot_a" & "boot_b" and still the same result. Any assistance to finally have TWRP/Lineage Recovery finally boot?
OnePlus broke fastboot for a time..
The fastboot boot command will not work on some older builds.

You need to flash the TWRP image to boot and then reboot.
You will boot into TWRP and then be able to update to a newer version of OOS that is working.

See my post just above this one.
It should be the last hidden part. ;)

You will want to update to the latest OOS (firmware) before you switch to a custom rom.

BreenyBaby

Apr 11, 2016
Checking emailtodat I see a message from OnePlus saying that his is an issue with their website that they are working on and expect to have working properly by the end of the week
The link never worked up to this time. I decided to get the OnePlus 8T direct from OnePlus for me and give my OnePlus 7 Pro to my son, it was only the 6T that I got from TMobile and so all of my other devices can be easily bootloader unlocked. I won't bother with the 7 Pro right now, as I still get OTA updates on it, but soon enough they will stop doing OTA updates and at that point I'll unlock the bootloader and go to LineageOS.

I will sell the sim unlocked OnePlus 6T, it looks like Amazon has second hand selling around $250 and OP website offers a trade in of up to $150. In the past, according to other customers, they have agreed to a given price then dropped the actual payment upon receiving the phone claiming market price drops. I don't know if that's true, it never happened to me, but the offer is already too low to be honest.

BreenyBaby

Apr 11, 2016
The link never worked up to this time. I decided to get the OnePlus 8T direct from OnePlus for me and give my OnePlus 7 Pro to my son, it was only the 6T that I got from TMobile and so all of my other devices can be easily bootloader unlocked. I won't bother with the 7 Pro right now, as I still get OTA updates on it, but soon enough they will stop doing OTA updates and at that point I'll unlock the bootloader and go to LineageOS.

I will sell the sim unlocked OnePlus 6T, it looks like Amazon has second hand selling around $250 and OP website offers a trade in of up to $150. In the past, according to other customers, they have agreed to a given price then dropped the actual payment upon receiving the phone claiming market price drops. I don't know if that's true, it never happened to me, but the offer is already too low to be honest.
I was gone a couple of days and didn't update because I went out with my son on scooters and fell badly on my ankle. Yeah, I got a spiral fracture of the fibula down where it connects to the ankle and gotta meet orthopedics tomorrow, likely going to be having some surgery to fix this.

So I thought it was time to give up messing around with the TMobile 6T and with trying to get the 7 Pro working on 5G lol.

PhoneThe4th

May 19, 2021
OnePlus broke fastboot for a time..
The fastboot boot command will not work on some older builds.

You need to flash the TWRP image to boot and then reboot.
You will boot into TWRP and then be able to update to a newer version of OOS that is working.

See my post just above this one.
It should be the last hidden part. ;)

You will want to update to the latest OOS (firmware) before you switch to a custom rom.

Thanks for the help ipdev! Since my post, I actually did find a solution with my problem and hope it will help others:

1. Once you are successful with the "T-Mo to Global" patched MSMDownload 4.0 conversion listed (OOS 9.0.11), I did the local upgrade to the last Android 9 OOS version for the 6T (9.0.17) from the official roms after conversion (now that the ROMs are compatible, direct from OnePlus after conversion)

2. After upgrade to Android 9.0.17, which seems to be the gateway version to upgrade to Android 10, I then local upgraded to version 10.3.0 OOS.

3. Now that you're on version 10.3.0, I had absolutely no problems flash booting into the latest TWRP or Lineage Recovery to set up for Custom ROMS and installing TWRP/recovery permanently. I have tested this on two seperate 6T phones, both T-mobile variants, and both are now Global versions, running on the latest LineageOS for MicroG 18.1 (Android 11) with working dual-sim slots (just have to buy new dual-sim trays for them).

This phone just became one of my favorites, considering the potential the stock hardware gives you, with a fairly simple software conversion. Hope this can help someone interested in the T-Mo 6T to make it the Global/dual-sim beast it really is!

Last edited:
Reactions: ipdev

chriscuber123

Oct 20, 2019
I was following this thread but I don't know if I did something wrong or what happened but my phone is now stuck in the powered off mode and when I try to connect it to the computer holding volume up + volume down it says device not recognized, have I bricked my phone?

PhoneThe4th

May 19, 2021
I was following this thread but I don't know if I did something wrong or what happened but my phone is now stuck in the powered off mode and when I try to connect it to the computer holding volume up + volume down it says device not recognized, have I bricked my phone?
Try (I think unplugged) holding Volume up + down + power button for a few seconds should reboot to either bootloader or current ROM. This was what I did when I was in your position: blank screen, PC recognizes a USB plugged in, but not recognized as a device. You might still be in OnePlus' download mode to flash official roms using msmdownload. See if that works...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    In the previous thread, we discussed a method to convert T-Mobile 6T's to the international variant, sort of, but it required an unlocked bootloader, which itself requires a SIM unlock which T-Mobile gives people a hard time about.

However, it is through @Dark Nightmare and @iaTa's efforts that we've come this far. Today, I share with everyone a new method to turn a T-Mobile 6T into an international variant. One that does NOT require an unlocked bootloader or a SIM unlock!

Before you proceed: Following the steps below WILL wipe your phone. Please backup all of your important files from the phone before proceeding.

Here are the steps:
    1) Download 6T MsmDownloadTool v4.0.58 (OOS v9.0.11) provided by @iaTa
    2) Download patched flasher tools here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1dYuVxnf_J97KPrRt6KEBOjau1BRvtnJQ (the patches simply remove checks that allow all the images to be flashed on the phone, I've personally tested the "MsmDownloadTool V4.0_factory_patched.exe" but not the "MsmDownloadTool V4.0_factory_mcl_op1_patched.exe" variant. You can do a binary diff on the EXEs against the originals in case there's any issues with trust.
    3) Shut down your T-Mobile 6T completely
    4) Press and hold Volume Up and Volume down keys simultaneously
    5) With those two buttons held down, plug in your USB cord to your PC
    6) Ensure that the USB drivers for Qcom download mode are installed and working (available in the MSMDownloadTool thread)
    7) Extract the patched tools EXEs to the same directory as where you extracted the MSMDownloadTool
    8) Run "MsmDownloadTool V4.0_factory_patched.exe" (or the other one, if you're feeling adventurous)
    9) Click "Start" when you're ready to start patching the phone
    10) After about 5 minutes it will finish its job and reboot the phone
    11) Phone will boot normally, but no more T-Mobile logo, and instead there is the OxygenOS generic logo
    12) Now your T-Mobile 6T is now running identical software to the unlocked 6T sold directly by OnePlus, and running the latest software (OxygenOS 9.0.11 at the time of this writing). You can even participate in Open Betas if you'd like, and the "Local Upgrade" feature is now enabled and working.
    13) ???
    14) Profit

Hope this helps somebody out.

It definitely works.
    If you want to unlock bootloader after it's converted, then it's just a simple fastboot oem unlock WITHOUT having to wait 7 days for OnePlus unlock bin. Just like the 6T sold by OnePlus directly. And you can even load a dual-SIM tray and both SIM slots work normally.
    I created a video tutorial for those who may be having issues or struggling with the process. Enjoy!
    Note: It's currently still processing, so the quality will be improved when that's complete.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mh-tjPPz2Ws
    NOTHING is wrong or missing in the instructions; follow them EXACTLY..
    Use winzip NOT winrar..Make sure your computer has the QUALCOMM driver installed
    Make sure your pc sees your phone.
    Use the cable your phone came with
    Try a different USB port

If this doesnt work for you, its YOUR fault, not the instructions or the OP's fault
    I don't have the T-Mobile 6T, but on top of giving an idea, I wanted to say congratulations!

Now as for an idea, if you guys want to see if OTA updating works, couldn't you guys:

1. do the conversion
    2. downgrade with an older msm tool
    3. reboot and test software update in the os

That way you won't have to wait to see if it works?

Edit: If you're searching for a downgrade, I've been collecting all factory images and MSMTool for the 6T here: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=285795

The one that will take you to the original OxygenOS (9.0.5) for the non T-Mobile variant is in the "OxygenOS MSMDownloadTool" folder named "oneplus6t_fajita_oxygen_41_o.11_181103.zip"