[CLOSED] T-Mobile 7T Conversion to International WITHOUT unlocked bootloader/SIM unlock!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

Inf0tec

Jan 5, 2021
I have tried the procedure several times, and I am getting the same 2 errors every time:

fastboot flash reserve reserve.img
Sending 'reserve' (259328 KB) OKAY [ 5.521s]
Writing 'reserve' FAILED (remote: '(reserve_a) No such partition')
fastboot: error: Command failed

and 2.
fastboot reboot fastboot
results in the phone rebooting into the T-Mobile branded OS, with broken modem.

If anybody seen this kind of errors, please help!
Fixed it:
First error can safely be ignored;
For the second one: Allow the device to fully boot. Enable USB debugging. Make sure it can be seen by adb (adb devices should list it). Reboot via adb (adb reboot fastboot). Run the second part of the flash-all script.

Thank you to all the contributors to this topic.

Lucas.Liu

Jan 8, 2021

As this is my first time dealing with Android, I met some problems, and the whole process toke me about three whole hours, motivating me to add some notes to the original guide.

First step
Download the patched MSM download tool: https://drive.google.com/file/d/12y3lO0wIgb2_LSDeVw9x_2C_HjbgZlb_/view?usp=sharing

An easy first step.

Second step
Run the tool, connect your phone in EDL mode (see below how to do it if you don’t know), ensure the “sha256 check” is NOT checked, click the Start button and wait until it’s completed.

The second is not that easy. To get through, you need to:

Install the Qualcomm HS-USB QDLoader 9008 Driver (device manager -> find the phone in other devices -> update driver -> install the optional windows update)
To enter the EDL mode:
power off the phone and disconnect the USB if it’s connected. Then press both volume UP and DOWN at same time, then while holding those buttons down, insert the USB which should already be connected to your computer.

If you decide to quit, you can download a different MSM tool to revert the system back to the T-Mobile system
Third Step
The phone will show a red warning saying “device is corrupt”, just ignore that and wait some time. It will fallback in fastboot because it’s not able to boot. Update your fastboot executable, otherwise you’ll encounter errors and modem issues. Download it here: https://dl.google.com/android/repository/platform-tools-latest-windows.zip. Now run the following fastboot command fastboot flashing unlock_critical.

I changed the order of this part a little bit. It is necessary to download the Android Usb Driver, and install the driver via the step 39+ in this guide. In the end, a selection UI will be available (volume up/down, and power for operation).

Fourth Step
Bootloader is now unlocked.

Finally!

Fifth Step
Extract the contents of the Global Fastboot Rom zip folder directly into your ADB folder.

If you did this correctly your ADB folder will be filled with a bunch of new .img files. Like boot.imgOpen CMD (with admin rights) and navigate to your ADB folder. run flash-all.bat (on PC).
I recommend to install an Not-Up-To-Date version here, and then update later. In my case, I need to repeat this process twice. After the first time, T-Mobile logo will still show up, and the wifi is not available. I entered the system, go to setting, first go to About 7T and tap … three times to enable developer mode, then go to … and turn on advanced boot choice and reboot into fastboot again. Re-flash the system with flash-all.bat again. now it would have the choice to select language after roboot, but DO NOTHING HERE!

Final Step
You’ve now fully converted to the Global Firmware. Confirm this by going to settings > about phone and look at Build Number. Update the system to the latest firmware. Lock the bootloader again by first entering the fastboot, then check to make sure phone is being picked up by bootloader via fastboot devices (on PC), and finally relock bootloader via fastboot oem lock (on PC).

Welcome to the international version OnePlus 7T!

Reactions: tuntun2526

agoodtheory

Oct 7, 2013
OnePlus 8
So a few questions...

Does this mean you lose L1 cert/widevine? Not sure if I want to lose HD video capabilities.
Also, I'm stuck at the 'fastboot flashing unlock_critical' step; the phone is in fastboot mode, but doesn't respond to any fastboot commands. when I try the above script, powershell just says 'waiting for device', but nothing happens... anyone experience this? All my drivers/adb and fastboot are up to date (as far as I can tell), but I do notice in device manager the phone comes up just as 'android' with the little yellow exclamation... I've checked ad nauseum for an android adb driver in my system but can never find it.

tuntun2526

May 28, 2015
So a few questions...

Does this mean you lose L1 cert/widevine? Not sure if I want to lose HD video capabilities.
Also, I'm stuck at the 'fastboot flashing unlock_critical' step; the phone is in fastboot mode, but doesn't respond to any fastboot commands. when I try the above script, powershell just says 'waiting for device', but nothing happens... anyone experience this? All my drivers/adb and fastboot are up to date (as far as I can tell), but I do notice in device manager the phone comes up just as 'android' with the little yellow exclamation... I've checked ad nauseum for an android adb driver in my system but can never find it.
I had same issue yesterday with the fastboot flashing unlock_critical . I had to use "fastboot oem unlock" which did the trick.

Last edited:
Reactions: agoodtheory

SuperEsteban

Jan 11, 2021
Hi everyone, I am really a newbie with this.

Could someone give me a hand?

I unlocked the bootloader, but I can't fallow the steps 7, 8 and 9, because when I enter the commands it says something like it could not find the file (I think that I'm doing something wrong)

I tried with the "Tool All In One" and it worked, but when the phone start and I see the T-mobile logo I knew that that I probably did something wrong, now the phone come back to the T-mobile ROM 10.0.03 and with no Wi-Fi and cellphone network.

tuntun2526

May 28, 2015
Hi everyone, I am really a newbie with this.

Could someone give me a hand?

I unlocked the bootloader, but I can't fallow the steps 7, 8 and 9, because when I enter the commands it says something like it could not find the file (I think that I'm doing something wrong)

I tried with the "Tool All In One" and it worked, but when the phone start and I see the T-mobile logo I knew that that I probably did something wrong, now the phone come back to the T-mobile ROM 10.0.03 and with no Wi-Fi and cellphone network.
Go to settings, developer option and make sure you toggle on the usb debugging so that the PC can pick up the phone in fastboot mode. Then reboot into fastboot mode via advanced reboot from the same developer option. Then Reflash the Rom again, you should be presented with the Chinese English option now, do nothing and when the flashing is complete, the phone would boot back into the system without the TMobile splash screen. Ensure that you are running the command in the position where you unpacked the global rom( should be in your platform tools)

SuperEsteban

Jan 11, 2021
Go to settings, developer option and make sure you toggle on the usb debugging so that the PC can pick up the phone in fastboot mode. Then reboot into fastboot mode via advanced reboot from the same developer option. Then Reflash the Rom again, you should be presented with the Chinese English option now, do nothing and when the flashing is complete, the phone would boot back into the system without the TMobile splash screen. Ensure that you are running the command in the position where you unpacked the global rom( should be in your platform tools)

Wait, when the screen with the Chinese and English options appears I do nothing?

Because I thought that, that was the ending of the flashing, and that I had to choose. I am an idiot.

Thanks, I'm going to do that.

agoodtheory

Oct 7, 2013
OnePlus 8
Hey so this was super helpful for me too! One other question though; if I want to relock my bootloader, should I wait till I download the latest update from system? I used your comment above to fully flash oos and it worked, so I rebooted to fastboot and used 'fastboot oem lock' and it said my system was corrupt afterward and wouldn't let me boot back into system.

tuntun2526

May 28, 2015
Hey so this was super helpful for me too! One other question though; if I want to relock my bootloader, should I wait till I download the latest update from system? I used your comment above to fully flash oos and it worked, so I rebooted to fastboot and used 'fastboot oem lock' and it said my system was corrupt afterward and wouldn't let me boot back into system.
Please update to the latest ROM via OTA before locking the bootloader. I updated via OTA, then did a factory reset ,then went back to bootloader to "fastboot oem lock"

agoodtheory

Oct 7, 2013
OnePlus 8
Please update to the latest ROM via OTA before locking the bootloader. I updated via OTA, then did a factory reset ,then went back to bootloader to "fastboot oem lock"
i've spent a couple days on this, from downloading drivers to relearning how to flash files (i hadn't done any of this since the galaxy s3 days), and your comments have basically resolved the last parts of this process i was getting hung up on; many, many thanks!

tuntun2526

May 28, 2015
i've spent a couple days on this, from downloading drivers to relearning how to flash files (i hadn't done any of this since the galaxy s3 days), and your comments have basically resolved the last parts of this process i was getting hung up on; many, many thanks!
Happy to help, also had issues while flashing mine two days ago that I had to do a lot of digging. Glad it worked out well for you.

SuperEsteban

Jan 11, 2021

Thank you very much!!

I finally did it.

The problem that I got with the commands in CMD is that I couldn't run the command in the folder of Platform Tools, that running CMD with Admin Wrights, so I tried without the Admin Wrights and it worked fine, I could enter the commands perfectly.

Then I update OxygenOs and lock the bootloader again with "fastboot oem lock", I did the factory reset and now is working perfectly fine with the latest OxygenOs Global version.

Thanks!!

Reactions: tuntun2526

Uditkumar

Sep 6, 2018
I m a newbie here and have a quick question about switching my T-mobile 7t to International.

I am currently stuck in a T-mobile contract for my 7t and they will not sim unlock the phone. I know that i can use the patched msm but the SIM will stay locked. The way T-mobile unlocks the sim is through the settings on 7t. For those of you who still have sim locked 7t on international Rom, will that option for network unlock still be there under SIM settings after switching to the International version or will i need to revert back to the T-mobile Rom later to get access to t-mobile sim unlocking screenif i want them to unlock it after its fully paid off?

Thank you to everyone for your contributions and guides

Last edited:

Nehemoth

Mar 22, 2012
Valhalla
www.nehemoth.com
Hi.
Oneplus 7T T-mobile edition here.

I locked back the bootloader before updating to the latest ROM via OTA (I saw the update) and before the factory reset, Now I'm stuck at:
"Your device is corrupt. It can't be trusted and will not boot."

Tried to follow this guide
Code:
https://www.droidwin.com/unbrick-oneplus-7t/

But when I boot to fastboot mode the driver that it's listed is LeMobile Android Device and inside it's listed Android Bootloader Interface.

Can someone point me in the right direction to fix this issue?

Regards

agoodtheory

Oct 7, 2013
OnePlus 8
Hi.
Oneplus 7T T-mobile edition here.

I locked back the bootloader before updating to the latest ROM via OTA (I saw the update) and before the factory reset, Now I'm stuck at:
"Your device is corrupt. It can't be trusted and will not boot."

Tried to follow this guide
Code:
https://www.droidwin.com/unbrick-oneplus-7t/

But when I boot to fastboot mode the driver that it's listed is LeMobile Android Device and inside it's listed Android Bootloader Interface.

Can someone point me in the right direction to fix this issue?

Regards
You need to reboot to EDL mode and start over from the first step; turn off the phone, then start up msmdownloadtool and hold vol up/down while plugging in the phone, then click start.

Reactions: Nehemoth

Nehemoth

Mar 22, 2012
Valhalla
www.nehemoth.com
You need to reboot to EDL mode and start over from the first step; turn off the phone, then start up msmdownloadtool and hold vol up/down while plugging in the phone, then click start.

Oh man, it's working.
All the instructions that I read before to reboot in EDL was starting up the phone holding down vol up/down PLUS power button, it never worked so the way that I entered to EDL was using a command.

Thank you man

Nehemoth

Mar 22, 2012
Valhalla
www.nehemoth.com
Hi again.
I almost finishing the process. Already installed the OTA, reset the phone to default settings and after this will unlock the bootloader.

Before this I tried to test the phone in my network but I wasn't able to do this.

This process won't allow me to use a different network than T-mobile?
If not, can this be achieve without waiting for the 40 days in used in the T-mobile network before unlocking?
What are my options here?

I do have the SIM that came with the phone but I am outside United States.

Regards

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Here is a patched MSM download tool for TMobile OP7T.
    It will bypass the need to sim unlock before unlocking the bootloader, and will also bypass the need of an unlock token file from OnePlus (hence skip the wait period of 1 week to get the privilege to unlock). It will NOT sim unlock the phone.

1) Download the patched MSM download tool: [removed]

2) Run the tool, connect your phone in EDL mode (see below how to do it if you don't know), ensure the "sha256 check" is NOT checked, click the Start button and wait until it's completed.

3) The phone will show a red warning saying "device is corrupt", just ignore that and wait some time. It will fallback in fastboot because it's not able to boot. Now run the following fastboot command:
    Code:
    fastboot flashing unlock_critical

4) Bootloader is now unlocked. Update your fastboot executable, otherwise you'll encounter errors and modem issues. Download it here: https://dl.google.com/android/repository/platform-tools-latest-windows.zip. Then boot the phone in fastboot mode, and follow the steps 7, 8 and 9 of this nice guide : https://xdaforums.com/oneplus-7t/how-to/guide-t-mobile-brand-conversion-to-t4019495

How to enter EDL mode:
    [...] Getting into EDL mode took me a while because I'd never had to do that on any previous phone way back when I used custom ROMs. Note that in EDL mode the screen is blank, and apparently it times out after 10 seconds. So the way to do it is to power off the phone and disconnect the USB if it's connected. Then press both volume UP and DOWN at same time, then while holding those buttons down, insert the USB which should already be connected to your computer. The best way would be to have the MSM program already open on your PC, then put phone into ELD mode. I had my left hand holding the volume buttons on the phone (press hard with two fingers to be sure), used right hand to plug in USB, then right hand on the mouse to work MSM. Once the USB is plugged in, watch the MSM window and look for it to say "Connected". Then just click the Start button. You can then release the volume buttons on the phone and let MSM do its thing. [...]
    so I'm gonna write my own summary hoping it fills any gaps. thanks to everyone else for providing very useful information and thanks to OP for putting in the work for figuring this out.

1. first and foremost, make sure all of your drivers are correct. this is a must. boot into fastboot and EDL modes and check your device manager to make sure their drivers are properly installed. I had issues with getting the fastboot driver to work on my desktop but was picked up easily on my laptop. i still ended up pursuing fixing the driver on the desktop but no drivers from anywhere would work. i ended up going into windows update and installing the optional driver updates--some of these might be named samsung, but install any that sound related to android. this finally fixed the fastboot driver error on my desktop. the fastboot driver on my device manager was called "kedacom USB device">android bootloader interface

2. I used the "all in one tool" available on this forum to get into EDL mode but you can do it manually too, it's not hard. as mentioned before, you will need to hold down the buttons then click start in MSM. If you release the volume buttons early it will kick you out of EDL--well at least for me. you can release the buttons once MSM starts. MSM took me about 130 seconds. This was over USB 3.0 port. I had no issue with USB 3.0 ports throughout the process but YMMV. At the end, it will give you a bootloader unlock menu and ask whether to unlock it or not. no one mentioned it before, but you have to manually click yes to unlock it. you will be kicked back into fastboot mode with the bootloader status as unlocked.

3. I downloaded 10.0.9 global rom package, because i'm planning to relock the bootloader after. if you plan to keep bootloader unlocked just update to latest zip available. if you're planning to relock, make sure the zip isn't the latest version as you won't be able to OTA update from the OS if it's latest version (until there's another update). Copy the contents of the global rom zip into your ADB folder. The ADB tools inside the global rom zip might be older so I decided to keep the files in the ADB folder as is (i.e. the ones linked in OP) and not overwrite with the ADB files from the global rom zip. I went to CMD into the adb folder and ran the flash bat command. The first time it went to the "waiting for device" stage but did not go back into fastboot mode to continue, instead went to pink TMO bootscreen and eventually into the OS. I manually went back into fastboot mode via recovery mode and tried again. This time it went through it all (ignore the errors as mentioned in the CMD screen)

You're done here if you want to keep the bootloader unlocked

4. If you plan to relock bootloader, go into settings menu and look for update. you should get one, download it and install it. Once installed, factory reset and let it boot into OS. Then go into fastboot mode and relock bootloader with commands below

check to make sure phone is being picked up by bootloader

Code:
    fastboot devices

command to relock bootloader

Code:
    fastboot oem lock

I went back into the fastboot menu to make sure it's locked and did another factory reset

I can confirm that play store shows as certified and google pay cards can be added but I have not confirmed anything beyond that or checked netflix

i hope this helps somewhat, good luck!
    Tested, 100% working.
    No risks, if there is an error you can just flash the stock TMO msm and you'll be 100% stock and working.
    This is to bypass the need to sim unlock and to bypass the wait period of OnePlus. But this does not sim unlock the phone.
    I'm not sure. In my case, I had a driver that appeared to be correct but the MSM tool would just hang. If you have the phone running in edl mode you could check the driver version in device manager but I'm not sure how to verify which one is the correct one.

This is the driver I ended up using.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0Fg_uwj-hWoYndYTTMwQUZ2RlU/view

In addition, you'll need these drivers for windows too, in order for the phone to be recognized when it reboots into fastbootD.

FastbootD is when the phone reboots for the firsttime after you run flash-all.bat, you get the screen saying hold the power button to pause booting, and then it brings you to the screen with the oneplus logo, and 3 language choices. Without these drivers it never gets recognized and can't continue.

Between the OPS instructions and the ones posted by Vallan, i was able to do this yesterday on the Tmobile unlocked sim phone that b&h had for 299 on Black friday, works great and it auto updated itself to the latest OTA from oneplus. After doing that update, do a factory reset on it and then you can re-lock your bootloader if you want to.
    Tested, 100% working.
    No risks, if there is an error you can just flash the stock TMO msm and you'll be 100% stock and working.
    This is to bypass the need to sim unlock and to bypass the wait period of OnePlus. But this does not sim unlock the phone.

Confirmed! Presently bootloader unlocked and global rom installed. Will receive my unlock token on Friday......hee hee.
    Wanted to say thank you for putting this together and making it dummy proof.