• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

T-Mobile 7T Pro McLaren device 5G N71 is disabled?

Search This thread

doesntmatterx

Dec 11, 2011
I'm in CT and I get 5g sometimes, depends on how close you are to the towers I think I heard range is around 100 sq miles.

5g when I get it, is very fast.

jhofseth

Feb 27, 2016
Seattle, Washington
If the 600mhz 5g speed is same as 4g LTE as you said whats the point of us buying your t-mobile 7t pro 5g?

I have both the OnePlus 7T Pro 5G McLaren and the OnePlus 7 Pro, and I've occasionally achieved speeds up to 20-30% faster than my fastest ever OnePlus 7 Pro speeds with the T-Mobile 5G McLaren in the exact same location. However, sometimes the OnePlus 7 Pro was faster in the same location and I can only speculate that the fast LTE signal was better than the lowband 5G signal reception at that location.

RanceJustice

Feb 11, 2013
When I activated the sim that came with my OP 7T Pro McLaren 5G today, the rep on the phone told me that (looking at their maps or whatnot) there's a very good chance I should be in a 5G coverage area. However, my phone does not show a 5G icon in the status/info bar, only either "4G" or "4G LTE" . Those of you on 5G, does your device actually have a 5G icon, or is it simply a speed difference or whatnot? I should mention that in data settings, my option is set at something akin to "2G/3G/4G/LTE/5G (Automatic)" and there are a few other options that drop the "automatic" parameter or support for various tech (ie you can have just 2G/3G/LTE Automatic ; the only other besides the one I mentioned first that contains 5G is a "3G/LTE/5G " setting without Automatic ) .

So does 5G "show up" for you guys?

jhofseth

Feb 27, 2016
Seattle, Washington
When I activated the sim that came with my OP 7T Pro McLaren 5G today, the rep on the phone told me that (looking at their maps or whatnot) there's a very good chance I should be in a 5G coverage area. However, my phone does not show a 5G icon in the status/info bar, only either "4G" or "4G LTE" . Those of you on 5G, does your device actually have a 5G icon, or is it simply a speed difference or whatnot? I should mention that in data settings, my option is set at something akin to "2G/3G/4G/LTE/5G (Automatic)" and there are a few other options that drop the "automatic" parameter or support for various tech (ie you can have just 2G/3G/LTE Automatic ; the only other besides the one I mentioned first that contains 5G is a "3G/LTE/5G " setting without Automatic ) .

So does 5G "show up" for you guys?

I've only ever had 5G displayed. But, the topmost automatic setting is a correct setting for 5G. If I were you, I wouldn't worry, keep the topmost automatic setting, and just wait for more towers to get provisioned for lowband 5G.

Gamesoul Master

Aug 26, 2010
I'll have to check at work tomorrow. I'm just outside the 5G range here at home, but I get it at work, and the speeds are definitely better for me than LTE (which is still pretty good). Download is slightly faster, and Upload is massively faster. Don't know which band it's running on, but like I said, I'll check and see.

Gamesoul Master

Aug 26, 2010
For anybody curious, the 5G I get here at work (just outside of Milwaukee, WI) is on band 4. At least that's what LTE Discovery says. I don't know/remember if band 4 is just band 4 (I vaguely recall some bands share space with each other or something?), but that's what it says at least.

eep1

May 26, 2007
McAllen
For anybody curious, the 5G I get here at work (just outside of Milwaukee, WI) is on band 4. At least that's what LTE Discovery says. I don't know/remember if band 4 is just band 4 (I vaguely recall some bands share space with each other or something?), but that's what it says at least.

Mine says band 4 also and 5G. Problem is, looking at the map we don't have 5G in South Texas yet...

docnok63

Nov 22, 2012
Memphis, TN
I am a T-Mobile Mobile Expert (ME).
The 5G band used by T-Mobile's OnePlus 7T Pro 5G McLaren is the low band 600Mhz; this means that the range will be significantly increased per tower at about the same speeds as the 4G LTE speeds. Our low band 5G range is 100sq miles per tower.

Yes "T-Mobile's 600 MHz Band 71 Network."
T-Mobile LTE Bands 2, 4, 5, 12, 66, 71 Frequencies 1900, 1700 def, 700 a, 600
See map for your coverage: 5g-coverage-map

All three of these are part of 5G
T-Mobile has multiple 5G bands just not all of them are implemented on large scale across the nation yet. For example the millimeter wave spectrum above 24 GHz, it is also referred to as High Band.
"Millimeter wave is incredibly fast, but the signal does not travel very far from the tower and can be disrupted by trees and windows.
We currently have 5G millimeter wave available in 6 major cities.
Speed: Fastest.
Coverage: A couple city blocks."

"Mid Band consists of spectrum between 1 GHz and 8 GHz.
Mid Band has the benefit of being fast while also covering a larger area than millimeter Wave. The breadth of coverage is vast and still delivers a fast experience.
T-Mobile has not yet deployed Mid Band 5G service.
Speed: Fast."

'Low Band consists of spectrum under 1 GHz, this includes our new 600 MHz signal.
Our newest, most powerful 600 MHz low band signal is the foundation of our 5G network. No signal goes farther or is more reliable, so with T-Mobile you’ll get 5G in more places.
Our 600 MHz signal travels several miles from the tower so we have a wide footprint. The signal also penetrates walls and deep inside buildings so it’s better indoors.
Speed: Average.
Coverage: Hundreds of square miles from the tower."

I've only ever had 5G displayed. But, the topmost automatic setting is a correct setting for 5G. If I were you, I wouldn't worry, keep the topmost automatic setting, and just wait for more towers to get provisioned for lowband 5G.

I'll have to check at work tomorrow. I'm just outside the 5G range here at home, but I get it at work, and the speeds are definitely better for me than LTE (which is still pretty good). Download is slightly faster, and Upload is massively faster. Don't know which band it's running on, but like I said, I'll check and see.

Now I'm getting 5G, even at work when I wasn't all week until today. I don't know. But it works now.

@sixxkilur- While it's cool to tow the company line, what's on paper and what's happening in the real world are two entirely different things.

To everyone: There's no real 5G here in Memphis because it's been a week and have yet to see Band 71 on my phone. The 5G being displayed on the status bar is a fake as AT&T's 5Ge on their status bars. I spoke with a few your networking technicians over the last few weeks (both before I bought the phone and after.) Bands 2 and 4 are used to transmit the data. Band 71 is used to extend the range of the tower's signal. Combined together like LTE's MIMO technologythe phone then registers it as a "5G" signal. Band 66 is LTE only and not part of the 5G rollout. I'm not sure where you get the 100 square miles from but, as of right now, "5G" is lucky to go a mile.

I had some time yesterday so a friend and I went on a hunt for 5G in Memphis. Thanks to Shane the TMo network technician, I had the addresses of all the nearby towers that were allegedly 5G. I started with the closest to me, the one I have one of my trouble tickets in on and, low and behold, when we got about a half a mile away from it, the phone suddenly indicated 5G on the status bar. We parked basically right across the street from it and I started to run some network tests on it. It was NOT 5G. It was LTE Band 66. The speed had greatly increased from about 14 Mbps average to 128 Mpbs, so obviously the tower had been worked on. You see in the screenshot, the speed test made the phone drop its network so there's a circle with a line through it where T-Mobile should be and there's no "5G" in the status bar.

We moved on to a tower pretty randomly chosen to get 5G near the Mississippi River. It's in a manufacturing part of the city and really has no point in being one of the first 5G towers in Memphis. Anyway, we parked across the street from it again and I ran my tests. I found the tower on Band 66 and the phone misreporting that it was 5G again. It did get 128 Mbps down but when I ran the test again, it dropped down to 88.2 Mbps, lost network connectivity, and then went back to "5G."

The last tower we went to is in a major shopping/bar area and it makes sense to put a tower here. As with the previous two towers, the phone's status bar indicated 5G when we got about a mile from it. We parked in a nearby parking lot and I was happy to see that I was connected to Band 2 this time as this is the base for 5G with TMo right now. Unfortunately, I got a very LTE 101 Mbps download rate.

Now that my phone has had a taste of fake 5G today, it's once again misreporting 5G at my apartment again especially closer to windows. It's definitely not 5G on Band 66 and getting about 25 Mbps down.

Long story short...Memphis is NOT 5G ready. You need to be a mile or less for the phone to begin to indicate that it suddenly has 5G signal (which it doesn't.) On Friday I'll be going to my youngest daughter's house and then my son's. If I get the same results there, I'll probably be returning the phone unless my daughter wants to "upgrade" her OP7P with it. Personally, I'm done with the device.

For those that want to go on their own hunt:
First, call TMo and ask to be transferred to the network department. They can give you the nearest street intersections of the "5G" towers
Next, know how to have your phone look for all available networks- Settings\Wi-Fi & Internet\SIM & Network\Network operators. Toggle Choose automatically. It will give you a warning and then take about a minute to propagate the list. You should see T-Mobile 5G, but you probably won't.
Use Network Cell Info Lite to see what Band you're currently connected to and see if Band 2, 4, or 71 is near you.
Use the most accurate speed test available, Open Signal

I wish you better luck hunting than I had, but I fear that we'll all see the same results....it's fake 5G.
Pics of my hunt. Please read the descriptions.

Last edited:

Gamesoul Master

Aug 26, 2010
@sixxkilur and all- While it's cool to tow the company line, what's on paper and what's happening in the real world are two entirely different things.
I wouldn't say I'm towing the company line. Especially since I don't know or care where they said the 5G is, or how fast it's supposed to be. I'm just relating my own personal experience. And my experience is definitely positive so far. The signal reaches pretty far, and speeds are noticeably better. Not crazy fast, but very pleasantly fast. Everybody's experience will be different. But the Greater Milwaukee Metropolitan Area is one of the places where it's mostly covering and working quite well.

Reactions: docnok63

docnok63

Nov 22, 2012
Memphis, TN
I wouldn't say I'm towing the company line. Especially since I don't know or care where they said the 5G is, or how fast it's supposed to be. I'm just relating my own personal experience. And my experience is definitely positive so far. The signal reaches pretty far, and speeds are noticeably better. Not crazy fast, but very pleasantly fast. Everybody's experience will be different. But the Greater Milwaukee Metropolitan Area is one of the places where it's mostly covering and working quite well.

Sorry no. I meant @sixxkilur since he said earlier in the thread that he's a TMo Mobile Expert (ME.) I've edited my post.

I'm glad you're having a good experience!!! Would you say it's better than LTE? (If you've had TMo LTE before...)

Last edited:

Gamesoul Master

Aug 26, 2010
Sorry no. I meant @sixxkilur since he said earlier in the thread that he's a TMo Mobile Expert (ME.)

I'm glad you're having a good experience!!! Would you say it's better than LTE? (If you've had TMo LTE before...)
Sorry, I thought "and all" included me. Null sheen chummer. As to your question... Well, the LTE I had/have here has always been solid. The 5G seems to usually be about the same as far as signal strength, occasionally a little weaker (but still 2+ bars). Download speeds are slightly faster, actually getting past 50 Mbps regularly. The upload speeds are where it's really noticeable. I usually only got a few Mbps on LTE. On 5G, I'm consistently seeing 20+ Mbps. And network responsiveness, while subjective, does seem a bit better (noticeable, but not "OMG noticeable"), though it was pretty decent on LTE too.

js042507

Jan 7, 2011
Yeah, to be honest, I really don't care much if I'm getting super fast speeds. I'm normally on my WiFi anyway. The hunt for a 5G signal was simply for my own reassurance. I have no real world use for it, nonetheless super fast LTE. Averaging ~50-60mbps when I'm not on the WiFi is plenty for me.

docnok63

Nov 22, 2012
Memphis, TN
I just found out that Band 66 includes Band 4: https://www.phonescoop.com/glossary/term.php?gid=570. As I said above, I was told that Bands 2 and 4 were being used to transfer the data while 71 was being used to increase the range. So perhaps the 5G being shown from the phone is coming from Band 4 (via Band 66) and Band 71 just isn't turn on in Memphis yet (because range completely sucks.) It still doesn't explain why T-Mobile 5G isn't showing up in available Network operators. Two different technicians were surprised that it wasn't showing up and were trying to troubleshoot it with me for at least 30 minutes each, so it's supposed to be there.

sixxkilur

Oct 20, 2014
Montrose
www.bulletlabs.org
As stated in other words the 600Mhz band is for range and signal strength or reliability I have had nothing but extremely strong signals with really good but not the best data d/u speeds. Currently T-Mobile's 5G is the low band and the high band however the high band is far more scarce. When and if T-Mobile and Sprint merger takes place they should have the mid band spectrum for speed/range as well. Example for some of you;
Code:
High band = really fast shortest range, 
Mid band = fast with longer range &
Low band = close to or a little faster than 4G LTE (depending on your area) with far more range.
All results depends on your area and location.

norwoodesteel

Aug 13, 2011
I just found out that Band 66 includes Band 4: https://www.phonescoop.com/glossary/term.php?gid=570. As I said above, I was told that Bands 2 and 4 were being used to transfer the data while 71 was being used to increase the range. So perhaps the 5G being shown from the phone is coming from Band 4 (via Band 66) and Band 71 just isn't turn on in Memphis yet (because range completely sucks.) It still doesn't explain why T-Mobile 5G isn't showing up in available Network operators. Two different technicians were surprised that it wasn't showing up and were trying to troubleshoot it with me for at least 30 minutes each, so it's supposed to be there.

the phone's network info settings are not updated fully for 5G.
none of the signal check apps are updated at all for 5G.
if the phone shows 5G in the status bar it is working correctly.

docnok63

Nov 22, 2012
Memphis, TN
the phone's network info settings are not updated fully for 5G.
none of the signal check apps are updated at all for 5G.
if the phone shows 5G in the status bar it is working correctly.

Not sure if I said it in this thread or another, but I actually connected to Band 71 on my OP7P about 6 months ago in Mississippi. The app works fine. The problem, for me, is T-Mobile's current rollout is all low band. I should've waited for the YouTube reviews of the network and I wouldn't have wasted my time. This video sums up my experience very succinctly and also tells me the phone isn't compatible with anything faster coming from TMo. I initiated my McLaren return today and I'll be looking into the 8Pro with more open eyes. I don't understand how the McLaren's X55 modem isn't compatible unless they've disabled bands on the chip.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeBREs4O8kM

Attachments

• Return.png
    Return.png
    74.5 KB · Views: 102

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This phone's 5G is currently non-standalone and probably difficult to configure. Or menus haven't kept up with the tech.
    @sixxkilur and all- While it's cool to tow the company line, what's on paper and what's happening in the real world are two entirely different things.
    Sorry no. I meant @sixxkilur since he said earlier in the thread that he's a TMo Mobile Expert (ME.)

Sorry, I thought "and all" included me. Null sheen chummer. As to your question... Well, the LTE I had/have here has always been solid. The 5G seems to usually be about the same as far as signal strength, occasionally a little weaker (but still 2+ bars). Download speeds are slightly faster, actually getting past 50 Mbps regularly. The upload speeds are where it's really noticeable. I usually only got a few Mbps on LTE. On 5G, I'm consistently seeing 20+ Mbps. And network responsiveness, while subjective, does seem a bit better (noticeable, but not "OMG noticeable"), though it was pretty decent on LTE too.
    Yeah, to be honest, I really don't care much if I'm getting super fast speeds. I'm normally on my WiFi anyway. The hunt for a 5G signal was simply for my own reassurance. I have no real world use for it, nonetheless super fast LTE. Averaging ~50-60mbps when I'm not on the WiFi is plenty for me.
    They haven't disabled anything. The chip supports everything but mmwave antennas are not standard on phones.

If you want faster, it'll support Sprint's 5G once the merger is complete.

Not sure why you'd return over the phone not supporting 5G that can be blocked by a tree or your hand.