T-Mobile Exchanges

Search This thread

abhinav.tella

Jan 8, 2011
Minneapolis
I was told I cannot exchange my Xperia Z3 at a store even if I ordered there because it came by mail. Call TMO customer care and tell them to cross ship you a new one. They will ask if you want warranty or new one. Say you want brand new, if they ask for $50 restocking refuse it like I did and they will agree after a few mins. They will refund your tax charge and charge it again as a fresh order.

Having said that, it is on backorder at TMO, waiting for tracking still. I re ordered a new one yesterday.

Just wanted to let people know so they do not get charged extra or get a refurbished device.

Last edited:

Smoothcrm7

Feb 24, 2010
I doubt they will refuse, as this is supposed to be a brand new device.

Called T-Mobile, the box it came in was all dented up and the bottom corner of the phone is raised up. Also have an issue with terrible battery life and calls just failing constantly ( I live in a total LTE area for T-Mobile)

They are overnighting me a new one after I called support, got transferred 3 times but was within my "buyers remorse period" so I will be sent a brand new phone.

Got a confirmation that the re-order was processed just waiting on shipping info.

abhinav.tella

Jan 8, 2011
Minneapolis
Called T-Mobile, the box it came in was all dented up and the bottom corner of the phone is raised up. Also have an issue with terrible battery life and calls just failing constantly ( I live in a total LTE area for T-Mobile)

They are overnighting me a new one after I called support, got transferred 3 times but was within my "buyers remorse period" so I will be sent a brand new phone.

Got a confirmation that the re-order was processed just waiting on shipping info.

Good you got that over with, I just gave mine to UPS and returned home. I had to calmly argue with the lady rep on TMO for like 5 minutes to forgoe stocking charges as its not our fault if a brand new device is defective. She talked to her manager said they would waive it. Make sure to check on that.

Last edited:

edwardlanti

Apr 3, 2006
I was told I cannot exchange my Xperia Z3 at a store even if I ordered there because it came by mail. Call TMO customer care and tell them to cross ship you a new one. They will ask if you want warranty or new one. Say you want brand new, if they ask for $50 restocking refuse it like I did and they will agree after a few mins. They will refund your tax charge and charge it again as a fresh order.

Having said that, it is on backorder at TMO, waiting for tracking still. I re ordered a new one yesterday.

Just wanted to let people know so they do not get charged extra or get a refurbished device.

Do you have to return your phone right away or can you wait until you receive the new one?

abhinav.tella

Jan 8, 2011
Minneapolis
Do you have to return your phone right away or can you wait until you receive the new one?

They can do cross shipping, meaning they will send you one before you send yours, however the phone is on backorder again so you will have to ship yours out otherwise you will get double charged if it does not reach in time. This is because it is considered a return and repurchase.

HaileyB

Oct 28, 2014
I called and the lady was very nice ( a first) She said that she would send me and email with the new phone info within 24 hours and that she understood my frustration. She also said that they would change me the taxes for the new phone but credit me the taxes for the first one No mention of a restocking fee or the phone being backordered. So lets hope TMo doesn't find a way to screw this one up!

HaileyB

Oct 28, 2014
Do you have to pay for the return shipping and insurance?

Update. MyTmobile Account shows that they 1. have my shipping information wrong. and 2. Are going to charge me $25.00 for shipping the new phone. Uhh, no. I'm going to call tomorrow. Silly me for thinking Tmobile would do anything correctly.

rsohne

Mar 4, 2007
To all shipping phones back to t-mobile. Make sure you keep all tracking info. You should also add insurance. I returned an iphone 6 plus a month ago and they still have not found it. I am arguing with them on the eip which they charge me monthly even though i do not have the phone. Again, make sure you track add insurance and signature before shipping back.

shook187

Oct 1, 2010
Haverhill MA
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
To all shipping phones back to t-mobile. Make sure you keep all tracking info. You should also add insurance. I returned an iphone 6 plus a month ago and they still have not found it. I am arguing with them on the eip which they charge me monthly even though i do not have the phone. Again, make sure you track add insurance and signature before shipping back.

I'm having the same issue, btw insurance means nothing because item shows as received.

abhinav.tella

Jan 8, 2011
Minneapolis
so things to look out for are...
- Light leak
- purple/Bad/Noisy Camera Performance
- red spot on Camera
- cosmetic damage

...anything else?

Well mine if you looked very carefully you could see its frame was indented towards the LCD near the power button, leaving less gap there, just imagine if it cracked there on a hot day because the glass expanded.....

HaileyB

Oct 28, 2014
I am sending back the original phone I pre-ordered. TMO sent me a shipping label and all I have to do is drop it off at UPS. Instead of having them ship me a new one I just went into the store and bought a new one. They will refund me the charges of the first phone when they receive it in the mail. What I noticed in doing this however is that the phone I purchased in store was of much better quality. The cosmetics of the phone were seamless, no light leaks, no purple camera and the battery seems to last WAY longer than it did on the one I pre-ordered. This makes me wonder if TMO rushed manufacturing the Pre-order devices and that is why there are so many issues with them? Either way, I am SOO happy I went and bought a new one in store. It's fabulous!!

abhinav.tella

Jan 8, 2011
Minneapolis
I am sending back the original phone I pre-ordered. TMO sent me a shipping label and all I have to do is drop it off at UPS. Instead of having them ship me a new one I just went into the store and bought a new one. They will refund me the charges of the first phone when they receive it in the mail. What I noticed in doing this however is that the phone I purchased in store was of much better quality. The cosmetics of the phone were seamless, no light leaks, no purple camera and the battery seems to last WAY longer than it did on the one I pre-ordered. This makes me wonder if TMO rushed manufacturing the Pre-order devices and that is why there are so many issues with them? Either way, I am SOO happy I went and bought a new one in store. It's fabulous!!

I called my nearest store, no stock, they said maybe tomorrow. I guess I will wait for tracking and stick to the mail order.

I'm glad you got a good one, enjoy!