• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

T-Mobile has Finally released the Android 11 Updgrade for OnePlus 8 5G

Search This thread

theroncr

Apr 17, 2010
OnePlus 8
The wait is OVER! T-Mobile OnePlus 8 5G Android 11 update has been released (well to select few with issues for sure). This is not official but I can confirm that I do infact have it. No root. Yes I am unlocked and came from Sprint but that played no part in the Update I received.
renderTimingPixel.png

Go ahead and check now. I was a former Sprint - Tmobile Failed TNX Transfer. After months of being told complete nonsense, they proactively called me, troubleshot and without notice I checked again and there it was. This could be a TS Procedure, however, see attached Screenshots and I believe everyone will see it Feb 2-4th. My experience as one of the initial transfers has been anything but smooth. However, I commend their Customer Service and their Tech SUpport for owning the issue and this may have saved me as a customer. Mind you I will absolutely not buy from them again, however, I will sell this oneplus 8 5g that is unlocked for the 8t/8Pro or 9 Pro unlocked and stick with them for the outstanding customer service!
r/tmobile - The wait is OVER! T-Mobile OnePlus 8 5G Android 11 update has been launched (well to select few with issues for sure). This is not official but I can confirm that I do infact have it. No root. Yes I am unlocked and came from Sprint but that played no part in the Update I received.
r/tmobile - The wait is OVER! T-Mobile OnePlus 8 5G Android 11 update has been launched (well to select few with issues for sure). This is not official but I can confirm that I do infact have it. No root. Yes I am unlocked and came from Sprint but that played no part in the Update I received.

esjames

Nov 8, 2013
Cheriton
AOD doesn't have the all day function like global does, modem cant switch from 5g to 4g without a reboot or airplane mode toggle, wifi calling works when if "feels" like it.

theroncr

Apr 17, 2010
OnePlus 8
@esjames so just to confirm are you saying that you're having issues with the automatic transition from 5G to 4G or vice versa? Cuz that would be a very big problem for me especially since I am 99% of my time on my home Wi-Fi and have been missing calls ever since doing the upgrade. Can you confirm that if I do do a global conversion will that result in error and if so do you happen to have a guide on how to convert from Android 11?

Thank you in advance.

esjames

Nov 8, 2013
Cheriton
I went and got the iphone 12 pro yesterday, and yes "all day" aod isnt there and 4g-5g switching works only sometimes. Got tired of it dropping signal. Global firmware doesnt have stand alone 5g but at least it didnt drop signal.

grabber5.0

Mar 14, 2015
Samsung Galaxy S21
Missing features aside (it seems several releases back from what I'm seeing in OnePlus' forums, where several devices are on 11.0.3.3 and 11.0.5 is in beta testing) how is it overall? Stability, battery life, Android Auto, etc?

esjames

Nov 8, 2013
Cheriton
Most says beta 5 is more stable than the stable release. The global release is pretty good. Battery life kinda sucks though

Funsturr

Jan 27, 2013
Lakewood Park, FL
I'm not too thrilled with the update. Very laggy and buggy, wiped cashed data and it seems to have helped.... Slightly. Missing some text after a little while I'll get 3-4 all at the same time. I'm going to unlock and throw rhe international version on it very soon.

grabber5.0

Mar 14, 2015
Samsung Galaxy S21
My first test of Android Auto in the truck was not great. At first everything seemed fine, but it got extremely slow after checking out 3 or 4 apps. I'll clear cache on related apps and see if that helps. The phone itself has been fine so far.

grabber5.0

Mar 14, 2015
Samsung Galaxy S21
So first real test of Google navigation on AA today, and it wasn't good. When I searched for a place and selected directions, it showed three options, but the routes were not highlighted on the selection screen or while navigating, no matter how many times I closed the app and re-did the search. Finally I gave up and used Waze, which worked fine. I tried Google Maps again partway through, and that time it showed the route, but I cancelled it. When I got where I was going and unplugged the phone, it was very warm and there was a temperature warning - actually it said device temperature was back to the safe range. It's never done that before. Also the phone still had a persistent navigation notification shown that didn't want to go away. I am really disappointed right now. Normally I would also stream music while navigating, but didn't this time, and it still made the phone really warm on top of the other issues. 🤬

Scott

Retired Recognized Developer
I don't care for the update either. Has crazy lag with screen transitions. Android Auto works fine for me. Freezes up when phone screen is left on. Turn off phone screen and android auto is responsive again. Did notice the missing navigation route issue once or twice. Forgot how I solved it but it's working now.

Otherwise just got the update yesterday. I will also say I think the maps issue is the actual maps app. Mine did it on android 10 not 11.

Also keyboard has round corners now?

duitf2

Dec 6, 2011
Ever since I've updated there has been a problem with texting and I'm hoping someone might have an answer.
After I updated I noticed I could receive group text but my one on one text don't arrive (and I have timed it 15 20 minutes later.
I tried different texting apps (I use Textra) but nothing changed.
I did a factory reset and nothing changed
I called T Mobile and replaced sim card and after talking to technicians - nothing changed
I've changed settings and texting apps again - nothing changed.
Can anyone help?
I cannot get one on one text or app verification codes quick enough to install certain apps but I can still receive group maeesages quickly.

hooutoo

Apr 17, 2009
Ft. Lauderdale
Am I the only one have trouble connecting in FlashMode? No matter what I've tried, debugging on, debugging off, the "Adb devices" command doesn't see a da** thing. I could've sworn I had connect to this phone with the android 10 version.

BTW, I had to laugh, 'cause it took me a minute to find the Flashmode option in the new Power menu. They sort of hid it.

Just wondering because I've been trying all afternoon. Probably just something stupid I'm doing but I gotta get this going so I can debloat thing. This rom is so loaded with bloatware, it's crazy. After I got finished paring down all the Sprint apps that were on my LG V50 it weighed about 5lb less and this one's is way worse.

Last edited:

grabber5.0

Mar 14, 2015
Samsung Galaxy S21
Things have been better since I cleared the cache from the recovery menu. I don't remember the phone charging at only 1A in the car before. Seems to be the same whether I use Android Auto through the radio's USB port or my car charger. I guess the OnePlus 8 doesn't support Quickcharge?