• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

T-Mobile LG G Pad X 8.0 (v521WG) Info

Search This thread

avishah395

May 11, 2016
San Francisco, CA
This thread is for those that picked up a T-Mobile G Pad X 8.0 from the free after rebate promotion, here's a good thread to ask questions until we get a separate forum. Our device will initially get what XDA calls Enhanced Tags (ET)/(Topics). This means threads for the device can be found listed together when someone looks up the device finder/search. These ET devices, if they prove popular and achieve around 4 pages of threads are then given a full set of dedicated forums. Once achieved, we can request a dedicated LG G PAD III/X 8.0 Forum. Information will be filled in as other members report them or as I find them. This tablet is very similar to the LG G Pad III in South Korea (v525) and Canada (v522). This tablet is exactly the same, hardware wise, as the LG G Pad X 8.0 for AT&T (v520). While this thread is mainly focused on the T-Mobile variant, you'll find information, bounties and development applicable/compatible with other variants as well.

Root (?)
Root has been achieved for the v521 (T-Mobile). Follow this guide to root your device. The v522 (Canada) has not been rooted yet. The v520 (AT&T) has not been rooted yet.

Root Bounty

US variant pledges are available for @tungkick to claim via PMing the pledgers.

OS (?)

CyanogenMod is not available for this device.
An AOSP ROM is not available for this device.
iPioneer Stock by @xtremelora is available

ROM Bounty

Bootloader Unlock (?)
The tablet bootloader is not unlocked by default. This is required for rooting the LGV521 (T-Mobile). You may unlock it by following these steps:

Warning: A bootloader unlock will wipe your tablet.

1. Enable Developer Settings (About tablet > Software info > Build number Tap 5 times)
2. Enable USB Debugging (Developer options) (Example)
3. Enable OEM Unlock (Developer options)
4. Install Android Debug Bridge (?)
5. Install LG Device Drivers if needed (Available below)
6. Open 'Command Prompt' and type in 'adb shell'
7. Enter these commands into ADB Shell for your device:

reboot bootloader
fastboot oem unlock
fastboot reboot

8. Check if the bootloader is unlocked by entering:

fastboot getvar unlocked

NOTE: While the bootloader is unlocked, you will get the "The software on this device cannot check for corruptions" message upon boot unless you install a modified boot image and kernel to get rid of the message.

Network Unlock (?)
Official Methods:
T-Mobile - You must have paid your device balance in FULL to request an unlock from T-Mobile.
AT&T - Please check your eligibility here..
Telus - Please check your eligibility here.
Rogers - Please check your eligibility here. There will be a $50 fee for a device unlock.
Bell - Please check eligibility here. There will be a fee upwards of $50 for device unlock.
Fido - Please check your eligibility here. There will be a $50 fee for device unlock.

1. Contact Customer Care for your carrier to request the Mobile Device Unlock code for your tablet.
  2. From any Home screen, tap the Apps icon.
  3. Tap Contacts.
  4. Tap the Search contacts field.
  5. Enter 2945#*521#.
  6. Tap the Add contact [+] icon in the top-right.
  7. Tap Network Lock. (Example)
  8. Enter your 16-digit Mobile Device Unlock code.
  9. Make sure the 'SIM Network Unlock Successful' message displays.
  10. NOTE: You ONLY have three (3) tries to enter the unlock code correctly before the device becomes permanently locked, please contact customer service if the code returns 'Unlock Unsuccessful.'
  11. Wait for the tablet to automatically restart.
  12. Your tablet is now unlocked.

Unofficial Methods: There are 3rd party sites that offer network unlock codes. Members have reported success on the following sites:
1. http://mobileunlock24.com/gb/lg/unlock-lg-g-pad-x-80
2. http://www.mobileincanada.com/ - Canada

Recovery (?)
TWRP 3.0.2.0 is available for all device variants

Kernel (?)
A custom kernel has not been developed yet. Learn more about the benefits of a custom kernel.

Xposed (?)
Xposed framework has been tested and is functional. Download the latest 32-bit version (ARM) for Marshmallow.

Debugging
Device Drivers:
Source 1 - Multiple Options
Source 2 - Quick Download

Android Debug Bridge: (?)
Source 1 - PC Quick Download
Source 2 - PC Minimal Download
Source 3 - PC Minimal Download
Source 4 - PC Download
Source 5 - Android SDK Download
More for Linux, Mac and PC

Modifications
Disable KnockON:
1. Download QuickShortcutMaker

2. Search for "KnockON" and you'll see it under the Settings Activity or look under the settings Activity

3. Tap on 'Try' and it will open the hidden settings menu for disabling.

4. Toggle the setting 'Off' and the change will be immediate.

Adoptable storage: (?)
1. Open your command window / terminal on your computer and type the 'adb shell' command with your phone connected.

2. Type 'sm list-disks' to list the disks available for adoption. It'll look something like below - take note of the disk ID (disk:179:160 or disk:179,160).

3. Partition the disk. To partition the disk above as fully adopted storage, use the command 'sm partition disk:179,160 private'. If 50/50 split between adopted and regular is desired, use the command 'sm partition disk:179,160 mixed 50'

4. Migrate data (Example)

NOTE: You will need 'Developer settings' enabled, Android Debug Utility installed and 'USB debugging' enabled to be able to follow these steps.

Credit: @paulobrien

Setup Inspiration

Troubleshooting
Q: My tablet says 'Cannot record video when another app is using audio' when trying to record a video.
A: This may be because Google Now 'Ok Google' is enabled on all screens. Try disabling this option.

Q: My tablet is having trouble with playing videos in MX Player and other 3rd party players.
A: This may be because of the 'Improve Playback Quality' option in Display settings. Try disabling this option.

You can post further questions in a dedicated thread here and post the link to that thread in this thread for a response or help.

Cases, Screen Protector and Accessories
Folio Case (eBay) - $8
Folio Case (Amazon) - ~$10
TPU Case (eBay) - ~$8
Tempered Glass Screen Protector (LG G Pad X 8.0/G Pad 3 8.0) - ~$6
Samsung EVO+ microSD card | PRO+ microSD card - Good for Adoptable Storage
More on Amazon | eBay

Specifications (?)
Android security patch level: July 2016
Baseband version: MPSS.TA.1.0.c3-00055-8952_GEN_PACK-1.56400.1.59543.1 (T-Mobile version)
Build number: MMB29M (T-Mobile version)
Software version: V52110C (T-Mobile version)
Processor: Snapdragon 617 1.5GHz Octa-Core
GPU: Adreno 405
RAM: 2GB
Screen Resolution: 1920 x 1200
Internal Storage: 16GB (Canadian & USA versions) 32GB (Korean version)
Camera: Front - 5MPX (Canadian, Korean & USA versions); Back - 5MPX (Canadian & USA versions, 8MPX (Korean version)
Slots: microSD up to 2TB, one (1) Full-Sized USB and one (1) nanoSIM
Mirroring: DLNA, Miracast - NOT SlimPort Compatible
Battery: 4650mAh (Canadian & USA versions) 4800mAh (Korean version)
Dimensions: 124.10 x 210.70 x 7.90 centimeters, 8.3 x 4.8 x 0.31 inches
Weight: 309.00 grams, 10.9 ounces
Wi-Fi standards: 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac
Bluetooth: v4.20
Bands: Quad Band GSM; LTE: 2, 3, 4, 7, 12; UMTS: Band I (2100), Band II (1900), Band IV (1700/2100), Band V (850)
Canadian Variant: LGV522 | Korean Variant: LGV525 | USA (T-Mobile) Variant: LGV521WG | USA (AT&T) Variant: LGV520

Suggestions
If there are any issues with this thread, anything you'd like to add, any suggestions you'd like to provide or to get my attention - quote one of my posts or private message me.

Last edited:

runderekrun

Apr 28, 2009
I got paid 15 bucks to take this tablet off T-Mobile's hands and it has an unlocked bootloader!? Amazing stuff!

---------- Post added at 10:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:33 PM ----------

Unlocked bootloader, but what do we need to make TWRP and a custom ROM (looking mostly for AOSP)?

Someone smarter than you or I.

Last edited:

bmac6996

Jul 23, 2014
Great spec tablet with great price point! I like almost free to cheap!

Needs some optimization though. Would love to see some root for this thing and a custom recovery. Hell Maybe Fulmics on this thing :)

Reactions: vance74

shabbypenguin

Inactive Recognized Developer
May 30, 2010
Any way to get rid of the "The software on this device cannot check for corruptions" screen after unlock bootloader?

Sent from my SM-N900T using XDA-Developers mobile app
That is due to android 6.0, going forward any device unlocked will do this.

I got paid 15 bucks to take this tablet off T-Mobile's hands and it has an unlocked bootloader!? Amazing stuff!

---------- Post added at 10:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:33 PM ----------

Someone smarter than you or I.
its not hard to port twrp, i very much doubt im smarter than you, and ive ported recovery to over 20 devices.
I believe we need a software update, then you can use those files to make TWRP. I do not know how to make TWRP and a custom ROM.
http://opensource.lge.com/osSch/list?types=ALL&search=V521

at teh bottom, software list. once we have a file there i can downlaod it, rip out recovery.img and build TWRP

I have no plans to work on any AOSP based rom for this device, my days of spending hours working on a device are over. however i have this tablet so anything that i do work on will be released.

@avishah395 http://www.modaco.com/news/android/...e-adoptable-storage-on-your-s7-s7-edge-r1632/ a guide to enable adoptable storage without root. anyone trying this needs to make sure they read the list of disks carefully, mine was 179,64 not 179:64

avishah395

May 11, 2016
San Francisco, CA

its not hard to port twrp, i very much doubt im smarter than you, and ive ported recovery to over 20 devices.

at teh bottom, software list. once we have a file there i can downlaod it, rip out recovery.img and build TWRP

I have no plans to work on any AOSP based rom for this device, my days of spending hours working on a device are over. however i have this tablet so anything that i do work on will be released.

@avishah395 http://www.modaco.com/news/android/...e-adoptable-storage-on-your-s7-s7-edge-r1632/ a guide to enable adoptable storage without root. anyone trying this needs to make sure they read the list of disks carefully, mine was 179,64 not 179:64

I don't have an SD card for this device yet. Did LG hide the adoptable storage menu?

avishah395

May 11, 2016
San Francisco, CA

How many hours would it take to make an AOSP rom? I'm sure a few people would be willing to pay for a rom, including me.

shabbypenguin

Inactive Recognized Developer
May 30, 2010
How many hours would it take to make an AOSP rom? I'm sure a few people would be willing to pay for a rom, including me.

sorry, im not for sale :p

aosp roms are fairly time consuming, i spent probably 17-20 hours making the moto g 4g have a 85% complete CM rom. depending on the manufacturer and "sister" devices it can be easy like the moto g 4g, or it can be much harder. with this having a qualcomm cpu it is easier to get up and running, but to where its official and in is no small task and would probably take 2-3 months (after twrp gets ported).

avishah395

May 11, 2016
San Francisco, CA
sorry, im not for sale :p

aosp roms are fairly time consuming, i spent probably 17-20 hours making the moto g 4g have a 85% complete CM rom. depending on the manufacturer and "sister" devices it can be easy like the moto g 4g, or it can be much harder. with this having a qualcomm cpu it is easier to get up and running, but to where its official and in is no small task and would probably take 2-3 months (after twrp gets ported).

Ah I see. Oh well. OS is fairly decent compared to LG G Pad F. I'll try tinkering with the System UI a bit. I wish it was as easy as sideloading something like Good Lock.

uoY_redruM

May 1, 2010
Longwood, FL
So I'm curious about this. I went in to upgrade my two phones today and I ended up walking out with one of these as well for my son (it's free minus the $38 tax, why not). I was looking for a screen protector for it but only LG G Pad 8.0 comes up. Is there a difference between that and this X 8.0?

http://www.xtremeguard.com/LG-G-Pad...g-g-pad-8.0-screen-protector.htm#.V2X5vfkrK00

Thanks for any insight guys.

Pretty neat tablet so far!

avishah395

May 11, 2016
San Francisco, CA
So I'm curious about this. I went in to upgrade my two phones today and I ended up walking out with one of these as well for my son (it's free minus the $38 tax, why not). I was looking for a screen protector for it but only LG G Pad 8.0 comes up. Is there a difference between that and this X 8.0?

http://www.xtremeguard.com/LG-G-Pad...g-g-pad-8.0-screen-protector.htm#.V2X5vfkrK00

Thanks for any insight guys.

Pretty neat tablet so far!

That XTREMEGUARD is for a different model. The front-facing camera is in a different place on this model, and the curve is slightly different.

I went with this - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Premium-Tem...ard-For-LG-G-Pad-2-3-F-8-0-V940-/331852399759 (FOR LG G PAD 3 8.0)

and this case - http://www.ebay.com/itm/301985372936

Last edited:

mingkee

I have extra tempered glass for G Pad F 8.0. It's smaller a bit, but it's the best alternative.
I think G5 and V10 (6.0) root method should work.

---------- Post added at 02:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:25 AM ----------

This thread is for those that picked up a T-Mobile G Pad X 8.0 recently from the Fathers Day promotion, here's a good thread to ask questions until we either get a separate forum or get enough info to move over to the General. The information will be filled in as other members report them or as I find them once I get the tablet. This tablet is very similar to the LG G Pad III in South Korea (v525)

Root
Root has not been attempted.

Bootloader Unlock
The tablet bootloader is not unlocked by default.

1. Enable Developer Settings (About tablet > Software info > Build number Tap 5 times)
2. Enable USB Debugging (Developer options)
3. Enable OEM Unlock (Developer options)
4. Install ADB (Android Debug Bridge)
5. Enter these commands into ADB:

adb reboot bootloader
fastboot oem unlock
fastboot reboot

NOTE: While the bootloader is unlocked, you will get the "The software on this device cannot check for corruptions" message upon boot unless you install a modified boot image and kernel to get rid of the message.

OS
No ROM development has been planned at this time.

Recovery
TWRP coming soon (Thanks @shabbypenguin)

Kernel
Nothing here yet!

Xposed
Xposed has not been tested on this tablet

Adoptable storage
1. Open your command window / terminal on your computer and type the 'adb shell' command with your phone connected. You will to follow all the same steps for bootloader unlocking except the OEM unlock setting and the commands.

2. Type 'sm list-disks' to list the disks available for adoption. It'll look something like below - take note of the disk ID (disk:179:160 or disk:179,160).

3. Partition the disk. To partition the disk above as fully adopted storage, use the command 'sm partition disk:179,160 private'. If 50/50 split between adopted and regular is desired, use the command 'sm partition disk:179,160 mixed 50'
Credit: @paulobrien

Make sure the following will work
Code:
fastboot flash recovery <filename>
fastboot boot recovery <filename>
They're disabled with G5.
If that happened, flashing tot with LGUP is alternative option.

googlephone

Jul 7, 2010

You need to find other places for software because you will never see they put anything under the software list ay the bottom for any LG devices.

Sent from my LG-v410 using XDA Premium App

googlephone

Jul 7, 2010
You can find everything you need in the zip file.
There's 2 gz files. You can unpack both.
Please read about what we were talking about before you chime in.

This was what shabbypenguin said:
http://opensource.lge.com/osSch/list?types=ALL&search=v521

I was talking about there will never be any file in the software list at the bottom. So don't wait for anything showing up there.
What you talked about was the source code released by LG under the "Model list" tab.
If LG release a firmware, which may be needed to extract recovery.img for building TWRP, you can find it through
http://csmg.lgmobile.com:9002/csmg/b2c/client/auth_model_check2.jsp?esn=YOUR IMEI
Currently, there is nothing there.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts