T-Mobile OP6T update which includes RCS rolling out.

Search This thread

feezler

Aug 8, 2008
ATL, GA
They're all fighting for our money, i mean gruesomely, don't care what they make it look to the public, buddy buddy, right

Sent from my OnePlus6T using XDA Labs

Ain't that the truth. There was a great solution out there called Invi messages but they went under. It was RCS for android and it worked GREAT. If you and the recipient had invi messages it worked cross-carrier. Similar to Allo. I just wish google would of made the android messages have a built-in chat that worked regardless of carrier.

culiacanazo

Jan 3, 2016
Culiacán
Ain't that the truth. There was a great solution out there called Invi messages but they went under. It was RCS for android and it worked GREAT. If you and the recipient had invi messages it worked cross-carrier. Similar to Allo. I just wish google would of made the android messages have a built-in chat that worked regardless of carrier.
The problem with your vision is that it belongs to a company, Google. The answer we should be looking for, exists, and sadly, it won't be the one to get preference in implementing, because it's all it should be, that which is the opposite of what you dream, and which is what they want.
IT, should be as interoperable as picking up a payphone to dial a satellite phone, which in turn calls a rotary landline as soon as it hangs up the first call.
I can CALL anyone i like, don't matter if it's a Verizon victim, an iPhone believer, or where they might be.
But see, there's no money in that openness. Close it! GREED GREED GREED, there's money to be made on proprietarity! Only TMO to TMO this (service provider wants cut). Only iPhones face time each other (OEM wants cut). Hey, Google wants in two, and, sorry, needs a Google account for that! (Software developer wants cut!)

WHAT THE DAMNED HELL!

partcyborg

Recognized Developer
Jun 23, 2017
The problem with your vision is that it belongs to a company, Google. The answer we should be looking for, exists, and sadly, it won't be the one to get preference in implementing, because it's all it should be, that which is the opposite of what you dream, and which is what they want.
IT, should be as interoperable as picking up a payphone to dial a satellite phone, which in turn calls a rotary landline as soon as it hangs up the first call.
I can CALL anyone i like, don't matter if it's a Verizon victim, an iPhone believer, or where they might be.
But see, there's no money in that openness. Close it! GREED GREED GREED, there's money to be made on proprietarity! Only TMO to TMO this (service provider wants cut). Only iPhones face time each other (OEM wants cut). Hey, Google wants in two, and, sorry, needs a Google account for that! (Software developer wants cut!)

WHAT THE DAMNED HELL!

}PGoogle tried to do it open. Google talk was originally a complete xmpp implementation, it even supported federation, and for a while you could talk to people with apple's old mac.com chat accounts from your Google talk account.

But nobody cared, no one integrated, and the Facebooks Twitter's and Instagrams of the world came into existence completely ignoring open standards, and as a result were able to move much faster, and as a result grew much faster. So they eventually gave up and followed suit.

This highlights an often overlooked issue with using purely open standards, which is entirely understandable. If you build your product around a open protocol with a standards body behind it, you now have a committee outside of your company who can essentially tell you what you can and can't do with your service. Want to add a cool new feature your engineers thought of? Does the web standard thing you built around support it? No? Well to bad then, have fun spending a year or more convincing that committee to approve your extension. Meanwhile your compeditor who ignored open standard just implements it, since they can, and beats you to market.

What makes matters worse, is that many of the popular "web standards" out there today have some completely atrocious technical issues, which are pretty much impossible to fix due to the people on their committee. (It turns out that "design by committee" is pretty much the worst possible way to build software, but that's a whole other post).

I'm as for open standards and freedom of provider choice as anyone, but having first hand experience with all of this I know that sadly it's not as easy as it seems in this day and age

culiacanazo

Jan 3, 2016
Culiacán
}PGoogle tried to do it open. Google talk was originally a complete xmpp implementation, it even supported federation, and for a while you could talk to people with apple's old mac.com chat accounts from your Google talk account.

But nobody cared, no one integrated, and the Facebooks Twitter's and Instagrams of the world came into existence completely ignoring open standards, and as a result were able to move much faster, and as a result grew much faster. So they eventually gave up and followed suit.

This highlights an often overlooked issue with using purely open standards, which is entirely understandable. If you build your product around a open protocol with a standards body behind it, you now have a committee outside of your company who can essentially tell you what you can and can't do with your service. Want to add a cool new feature your engineers thought of? Does the web standard thing you built around support it? No? Well to bad then, have fun spending a year or more convincing that committee to approve your extension. Meanwhile your compeditor who ignored open standard just implements it, since they can, and beats you to market.

What makes matters worse, is that many of the popular "web standards" out there today have some completely atrocious technical issues, which are pretty much impossible to fix due to the people on their committee. (It turns out that "design by committee" is pretty much the worst possible way to build software, but that's a whole other post).

I'm as for open standards and freedom of provider choice as anyone, but having first hand experience with all of this I know that sadly it's not as easy as it seems in this day and age
I can understand that.
And that i completely ignored.
Thank you.
And yes, sad indeed.

Just saw this also. Curious to see if anyone has gotten access outside of the tmobile variant.

Not yours truly.

hartleyshc

RCS messaging is now live for dual SIM phones in North America

Doesn't apply to us. As the RCS that the 6t has is T-Mobile's version of RCS and not Google's Universal Profile version. Which is why it only works on the default messages app.

So you only get RCS features with other T-Mobile phones. You won't get those features chatting with a Sprint user.

I'm still not sure why Google doesn't make a one-for-all app. Much like how Hangouts used to be, but stable and modern. If Allo had SMS support, it wouldn't be on the chopping block. Yes, in the long run we need UP RCS, but until then it could work much like iMessage does, and Hangouts did/does. It works with basic SMS unless it detects the other user is also using the app and then it turns on the extra features. Just because it has those features, it doesn't stop Google from still working on and implementing RCS support.

G

GuestK00177

Doesn't apply to us. As the RCS that the 6t has is T-Mobile's version of RCS and not Google's Universal Profile version. Which is why it only works on the default messages app.

So you only get RCS features with other T-Mobile phones. You won't get those features chatting with a Sprint user.

I'm still not sure why Google doesn't make a one-for-all app. Much like how Hangouts used to be, but stable and modern. If Allo had SMS support, it wouldn't be on the chopping block. Yes, in the long run we need UP RCS, but until then it could work much like iMessage does, and Hangouts did/does. It works with basic SMS unless it detects the other user is also using the app and then it turns on the extra features. Just because it has those features, it doesn't stop Google from still working on and implementing RCS support.
I dumped the entire rcs update from tmo, and it exists only in data somehow. U cannot unpack the tmo payload.bins either. I captured the update and cannot get into it. Must've been signed with their own crap. I did copy everything related to rcs from it to try and manually port over that feature to just the tmo intl users.about 80 files. The thing runs deep, now to see if it does anything.. I totally agree with you though, get with it Google.

seniorstew

Feb 23, 2006
San Diego CA

It's up to Tmobile to support Google's RCS profile. It's tmos fault not Google's.

hartleyshc

It's up to Tmobile to support Google's RCS profile. It's tmos fault not Google's.

I'm fully aware. Google in the case is too forward thinking. They are looking at the far future for RCS. And they are looking to make money.

When RCS is implemented at the carrier level, they are buying UP RCS from Google. Google's RCS is supposedly cheaper and easier to set up than the carrier doing it themselves. And as I said before, long term, this is the best option, to fully replace SMS. But everyone has to get behind it. The manufacturers need to implement it in their texting apps (if they don't default to Google Messages), the carrier needs to implement the service. Those two groups of people alone are the hardest to work with. It's going to be a long road before RCS is enabled everywhere on every device.

What I was simply suggesting is that Google does a quick fix and implement these features on the app level until the back bone is already in place. In the rest of the world there's a good amount of carriers with UP RCS. It's not all, but it's a decent amount. In America we're at about 30%. Only Sprint has fully deployed RCS. TMobile has only done it on a handful of devices. The two largest carriers don't have it at all.

95+% of people don't care about how something is made, they just want the results. If Google Messages had all of these features built in (see my example before of just adding SMS/RCS support to Allo) people would actively change their default SMS app.

RCS is a wanted feature. People want these abilities. iMessage is the best app on iOS. Because of the features. Google can very easily make the Android version of iMessages, but the problem is fragmentation, which is the biggest issue with Android across the board. They make a million chat apps. Close them down. Open new ones. Close them down. Instead of just make 1-2 apps (commercial and enterprise).

If Google put these features in at the app level, this thread would be 1 page long. "TMobile adds RCS support for the 6t.".

"Cool."

End of thread.

gigilie

Feb 6, 2011
MN
I dumped the entire rcs update from tmo, and it exists only in data somehow. U cannot unpack the tmo payload.bins either. I captured the update and cannot get into it. Must've been signed with their own crap. I did copy everything related to rcs from it to try and manually port over that feature to just the tmo intl users.about 80 files. The thing runs deep, now to see if it does anything.. I totally agree with you though, get with it Google.

If u captured the whole update I can prob get it unpacked for u if u pm me link I'll try. Otherwise if someone has it installed and is rooted just run the backup.bat script that will pull sparsed imgs thru fastboot data system n all... I'm guessing it's a few changes in build prop or another prop file n maybe a few lines of code in the tmo mms version it can't be much tho... Stock Google anything's been ready for rcs for a while. I know if u install the pixel 3xl port in the oneplus 6 section it's got rcs ready to go in the Google messages app. It's a killer rom fast af...

G

GuestK00177

If u captured the whole update I can prob get it unpacked for u if u pm me link I'll try. Otherwise if someone has it installed and is rooted just run the backup.bat script that will pull sparsed imgs thru fastboot data system n all... I'm guessing it's a few changes in build prop or another prop file n maybe a few lines of code in the tmo mms version it can't be much tho... Stock Google anything's been ready for rcs for a while. I know if u install the pixel 3xl port in the oneplus 6 section it's got rcs ready to go in the Google messages app. It's a killer rom fast af...

No, I already did all of that. Tmo packed the update in data. I dd'd everything and it still only reads and flashes as the software it launched as, I did the dd after updating to the current tmo firmware..made no sense to me. They're doing something weird . . I literally found everything rcs related, I have the files and copied em over, it's a server side switch or something or a combination of them the messaging app works but it's not present with chat settings as the tmo rom has. Also, they sign their payloads differently and they are something no program we have available can unpack. I unpack payloads all the time, this one we cannot. I will try that pixel ROM may have better luck porting rcs there..

Mervingio

Mar 28, 2011
Elysium
Give me the zip, or you who have it extract it. Give me a sec.

Okay, listen: i take no credit for this, it's just that right now we're all too excited and sure as heck i wasn't gonna go looking for where i found it. I believe the credits are in there.
The ball is now in our mysterious, yet-to-be-revealed hero's court, who will snatch it, extract it, and upload it. May the hosts of the skies guard you, whoever you may be, but rush already lol
( @feezler , is this by any chance what you were referring to?)

This is TMobile modem flashable?

I converted from T-Mobile to International updated to latest version but the LTE speed are too slow

hartleyshc

I wonder if we can flash the T-Mobile msm tool on international like we did the tmobil conversion to get rcs it could happen with a little modding I just don't know how to do it myself.

You can already. It's the flasher that's modded, not the firmware files. It's how you can go back to TMobile afterwards.

It'll lock your bootloader and you'll have to go through the steps of unlocking it without tmobiles help. Like users can right now.

Or....

You can just wait for however long it takes Google to add RCS to your country since the carriers are taking forever.
I think this might be a better bet. The RCS that's added to the TMobile firmware is only for TMobile users. It's not the Universal Profile (Google) RCS that everyone wants.

DaveIsHome

Nov 2, 2015
Bakersfield
OnePlus 7T
You can already. It's the flasher that's modded, not the firmware files. It's how you can go back to TMobile afterwards.

It'll lock your bootloader and you'll have to go through the steps of unlocking it without tmobiles help. Like users can right now.

Or....

You can just wait for however long it takes Google to add RCS to your country since the carriers are taking forever.
I think this might be a better bet. The RCS that's added to the TMobile firmware is only for TMobile users. It's not the Universal Profile (Google) RCS that everyone wants.

I live in California and I'm on T-Mobile so it would benefit me right. By the way I have the McLaren edition

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    If anybody would that would be @mauronofrio
    But i kind of expect 1+ to come thru with this as opposed to how they haven't had with the launcher, because right there they have an incentive which is promoting usage of their own shelf; however, i don't know what to make of that buddy-buddy thing they got going with Google and their tight integration

I won't assume to know much, or anything, actually, about the inner workings, but knowing carriers, i don't think it would just be network-related and that's it! So any byod could enjoy it? Not good for business. And also, remember how the launcher is proving to be unportable?

Sent from my Mate 10 Pro using XDA Labs

Let me clarify, RCS does not work like SMS it works over DATA so it doesn't need access to the radio directly. The changes are to the configuration files in the system and the existing texting app. That being said Android Messages does everything via Carrier Services instead of via the system and your RCS messages are not stored in the system itself. This problem is being solved in future versions of Android. I know because I've been paying very close attention to any RCS related changes for Android Q. I read the documentation for the RCS UP standard so I have somewhat of an idea of how it works. I totally agree with what you're saying doing RCS on a per device level is dumb. Because T-Mobile DIGITS works on a per device level they had to go back and update carrier locked devices to add the RCS configuration to the system. If they partnered with Google they could have just rolled it out into Carrier Services using the Jibe Hub but instead, they are using Mavenir's RCS Hub. This solution isn't interconnected to the Jibe Hub so Android Messages doesn't work with it. That being said once RCS is natively supported as part of Android like SMS is, not only will it work on any device as long as the carrier is properly configured but it will work with any texting app that adds RCS support to it using the third party APIs.

WHAT THE DAMNED HELL!

I tried installing the messaging app and now it keeps crashing. Any ideas of how to prevent this from happening? I am rooted if that helps?
    Try uninstalling updates in the apps section in settings?
    I think I can wait until RCS starts coming to more devices. I don't want to have to keep checking to see if the person I'm chatting with has RCS or not. Nice to have, but not essential just yet. I'll keep living on the international Rom for now.
    I have not being using my OP6T since I got it because of the lack of RCS. I can't wait until someone gets this going. Heck, I'll buy you a beer if it works!

I used to help with ROM development... I just don't remember how to pull the radio to post it
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone