T-Mobile OP6T update which includes RCS rolling out.

Search This thread

Mervingio

Mar 28, 2011
Elysium
OnePlus 7 Pro
I was trying to convert my McLaren 6t to a TMobile 6t so I could have rcs it failed miserably.

Well the T-Mobile implementation in Oxygen OS is a total BS mine is from T-Mobile and converted to international and no way back not lose your mind for that damn thing in the long way we have an AMAZING device for long time and IMO the real problem is Google with their crap implementation example (like partition a/b) im not a Linux mastermind but for things like this we have 500,000 different android OS implementations :cool:

DaveIsHome

Nov 2, 2015
Bakersfield
OnePlus 7T
Yeah the only reason I was trying to switch it's because my wife has a T-Mobile variant and she has RCs so I wanted to enable it on mine so we could have native video calling

google duo wont work with my wifes rcs and she wont use duo its ok though i have patience.

IIRC they didn't implement native video calling on the 6t. It defaults to use duo for video calling even in the TMobile rom.

Only thing that's RCS is the chat features with send/received, higher video/image sizes, WiFi texting that actually works.

Ryano89

May 6, 2011
Indiana
OnePlus 6T
OnePlus 8T
IIRC they didn't implement native video calling on the 6t. It defaults to use duo for video calling even in the TMobile rom.

Only thing that's RCS is the chat features with send/received, higher video/image sizes, WiFi texting that actually works.
Does the WiFi texting actually work? I would flash back to TMobile for this feature alone. I live way out in the sticks and this would be useful

Does the WiFi texting actually work? I would flash back to TMobile for this feature alone. I live way out in the sticks and this would be useful

Yes, it works well.

However my solution to that has been to get a T-Mobile cellspot v2 for my home. (Pretty much a mini tower for the home that runs off of your internet connection).

That has been way more of a fix for me personally. They're $20 deposit I think, and the money gets added back to your account on the next bill. One device per account.

DaveIsHome

Nov 2, 2015
Bakersfield
OnePlus 7T

I tested it on my wife's phone she has native video calling with another 6t they're both with T-Mobile it doesn't use duo it's probably not part of the RCs rollout but they do have native video calling

Last edited:

Mervingio

Mar 28, 2011
Elysium
OnePlus 7 Pro

I use Google Message app and txt with WiFi works

I800C0LLECT

Feb 19, 2015
I think it only works when messaging a fellow TMobile user. :/

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
it does work but is only 10mb for sending files thru the one plus messages app

IIRC some one over at the TMobile support forums tested it out and it was actually 100mb limit.

But yeah, only works on in the OP app. It's Tmobile's version of RCS, not the Universal Profile RCS that Google is putting out.

As far as that goes, TMobile still only supports UP RCS on those handful of old Samsung phones (pretty sure the S7 is one).

Back in April in this very thread, I stated I wished Google would just go around the carriers. I'm so glad they're finally doing it. UK and France are done, I really hope they keep going with this. Once people find out they can get their "iMessage for Android" by using the Google Messages app, a lot more people will go out of their way to install it, if it's not installed already. "Real" people don't care about end to end encryption. They just want to features like read receipt and to send pictures and videos that don't look like they were sent from a flip phone from 2002.

Last edited:

drakonizer

Retired Forum Moderator
IIRC some one over at the TMobile support forums tested it out and it was actually 100mb limit.

But yeah, only works on in the OP app. It's Tmobile's version of RCS, not the Universal Profile RCS that Google is putting out.

As far as that goes, TMobile still only supports UP RCS on those handful of old Samsung phones (pretty sure the S7 is one).

Back in April in this very thread, I stated I wished Google would just go around the carriers. I'm so glad they're finally doing it. UK and France are done, I really hope they keep going with this. Once people find out they can get their "iMessage for Android" by using the Google Messages app, a lot more people will go out of their way to install it, if it's not installed already. "Real" people don't care about end to end encryption. They just want to features like read receipt and to send pictures and videos that don't look like they were sent from a flip phone from 2002.

Small correction, T-Mobile is running on Universal Profile 1.0 but they are not connected to Google's Jibe RCS hub, which means cross carrier RCS is not supported. I'm fairly certain the Samsung phones you mentioned don't have RCS working across carriers either.

Now if enough people were to bug them about it, hopefully they'd realize this is more important than a gimmicky 5G rollout.

Reactions: hartleyshc

noobiedev83

May 12, 2015

for me only works with 10mb files mor than that it won't work tested few times

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    If anybody would that would be @mauronofrio
    But i kind of expect 1+ to come thru with this as opposed to how they haven't had with the launcher, because right there they have an incentive which is promoting usage of their own shelf; however, i don't know what to make of that buddy-buddy thing they got going with Google and their tight integration

I won't assume to know much, or anything, actually, about the inner workings, but knowing carriers, i don't think it would just be network-related and that's it! So any byod could enjoy it? Not good for business. And also, remember how the launcher is proving to be unportable?

Sent from my Mate 10 Pro using XDA Labs

Let me clarify, RCS does not work like SMS it works over DATA so it doesn't need access to the radio directly. The changes are to the configuration files in the system and the existing texting app. That being said Android Messages does everything via Carrier Services instead of via the system and your RCS messages are not stored in the system itself. This problem is being solved in future versions of Android. I know because I've been paying very close attention to any RCS related changes for Android Q. I read the documentation for the RCS UP standard so I have somewhat of an idea of how it works. I totally agree with what you're saying doing RCS on a per device level is dumb. Because T-Mobile DIGITS works on a per device level they had to go back and update carrier locked devices to add the RCS configuration to the system. If they partnered with Google they could have just rolled it out into Carrier Services using the Jibe Hub but instead, they are using Mavenir's RCS Hub. This solution isn't interconnected to the Jibe Hub so Android Messages doesn't work with it. That being said once RCS is natively supported as part of Android like SMS is, not only will it work on any device as long as the carrier is properly configured but it will work with any texting app that adds RCS support to it using the third party APIs.
    Ain't that the truth. There was a great solution out there called Invi messages but they went under. It was RCS for android and it worked GREAT. If you and the recipient had invi messages it worked cross-carrier. Similar to Allo. I just wish google would of made the android messages have a built-in chat that worked regardless of carrier.
    The problem with your vision is that it belongs to a company, Google. The answer we should be looking for, exists, and sadly, it won't be the one to get preference in implementing, because it's all it should be, that which is the opposite of what you dream, and which is what they want.
    IT, should be as interoperable as picking up a payphone to dial a satellite phone, which in turn calls a rotary landline as soon as it hangs up the first call.
    I can CALL anyone i like, don't matter if it's a Verizon victim, an iPhone believer, or where they might be.
    But see, there's no money in that openness. Close it! GREED GREED GREED, there's money to be made on proprietarity! Only TMO to TMO this (service provider wants cut). Only iPhones face time each other (OEM wants cut). Hey, Google wants in two, and, sorry, needs a Google account for that! (Software developer wants cut!)

WHAT THE DAMNED HELL!

Sent from my OnePlus6T using XDA Labs
    I tried installing the messaging app and now it keeps crashing. Any ideas of how to prevent this from happening? I am rooted if that helps?
    Try uninstalling updates in the apps section in settings?
    I think I can wait until RCS starts coming to more devices. I don't want to have to keep checking to see if the person I'm chatting with has RCS or not. Nice to have, but not essential just yet. I'll keep living on the international Rom for now.
    I have not being using my OP6T since I got it because of the lack of RCS. I can't wait until someone gets this going. Heck, I'll buy you a beer if it works!

I used to help with ROM development... I just don't remember how to pull the radio to post it