• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 7.0 (SM-T217T) CWM recovery and Root

Search This thread

juncey

Apr 12, 2011
Columbus

truckerdewd

Oct 31, 2010
Independence, MO
I think we will never see the 4.4.2 update for the tab 3(t217t) or the Note 2, i've been waiting to update my girlfriends note 2 but there seems to be nothing out yet...

i just ended up putting Rom Of Thrones Nordic release from this link http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2751266 on my Tmobile Note 2. Aside from not having Wif-Fi calling which I never use, it runs great and is 4.4.2 touchwiz. It works for me until or rather IF Tmobile ever releases it for the Note 2.

Today I upgraded from the Tab 3 to the Note 10.1 2014 Edition from Tmobile and it has KK on it.

Gonna keep an eye on these forums though since I gave the Tab 3 to my daughter.

cronikman84

Dec 8, 2012
Holyoke
It just blows my mind how the 4 year old garbage nook color still gets development and it got android 4.4.x kitkat, it even got another cm11 update on 8/13/2014 but no one has even made an attempt to develop anything for this awesome tablet with way better specs and performance, i wish i knew how to develop... i even offered money for development on this SM-T217T T-Mobile tablet but i can't even get developers to agree... The SM-T217S got the CandyKat 4.4.4 rom 5 days ago and i asked the developer if he can port the rom to the SM-T217T and he said he doesn't port roms cause is tough and the success rate is low but he said if i get him the device, kernel, and other repo files, or a local_manifest from git he can try to built for the T217T http://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-tab-3/development-7/rom-candykat-4-4-4-8-12-14-t2845778/page2 ... there's only one problem, i have no idea how to provide him with any of this as i don't know where to get any of this from OUR device, does anyone know :confused:...

rast4man

Dec 28, 2009
God's Waiting Room - Florida
Hey gang, I know this is a little old but I'm having a few issues. I have the T-Mobile SM-T217T and have tried to flash CWM 217s....zip numerous times without success. I use Odin, PDA, select the CWM and it says it is fine but when I reboot, it goes to the stock Android recovery every time. I'm proficient in rooting/flashing so I honestly have no idea what it could be. Perhaps I'm missing something, which is why I'm posting. I did notice that write protection is on which I'm wondering if that could be preventing the file to be written via Odin!?

Regards,

rast4man

*EDIT* I managed to get it working.

Last edited:

juncey

Apr 12, 2011
Columbus
Thanks OP... This walk-through was awesome. Any chance you are still working on the 4.4.2

Unfortunately no, I am no longer working on this. It just became an insurmountable mountain and I just gave up. I've actually been trying to get rid of it for quite some time as I see no hope of updates from T-Mobile or anyone finding a way to put stock KK on this device.

juncey

Apr 12, 2011
Columbus
Hey gang, I know this is a little old but I'm having a few issues. I have the T-Mobile SM-T217T and have tried to flash CWM 217s....zip numerous times without success. I use Odin, PDA, select the CWM and it says it is fine but when I reboot, it goes to the stock Android recovery every time. I'm proficient in rooting/flashing so I honestly have no idea what it could be. Perhaps I'm missing something, which is why I'm posting. I did notice that write protection is on which I'm wondering if that could be preventing the file to be written via Odin!?

Regards,

rast4man

try extracting the image file and selecting that directly instead of letting odin extract the file.

amiah

Apr 21, 2009
Hey All,

I didn't want to risk the ban as I have found this site very useful over the years so I'm posting this here. I know a lot of work goes into finding ways to root each device when possible so I thought I'd throw my $0.02 in.

I purchased a T-Mobile (SM-T217T) Galaxy Tab 3 7.0 last night and wanted it rooted. After hours of trying every method I could (SuperOne Click, Cydia Impactor, Kingo, and every other non Odin based root I could find) I gave up and decided to try some Odin methods.

I downloaded the CWM recovery for the SM-T217S
I grabbed The Universal Root file.
And lastly Odin 3.07

BEFORE STARTING put the untouched Universal Root file on your EXTERNAL SD CARD

Put the Tab in download mode (Power + Vol DOWN)
Open Odin 3.07
Connected your Tab to the PC
Click PDA in Odin, and select the CWM file which then asks to select the recovery file inside the tarball.
Make sure the ONLY options selected are Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time and then click start.

Once the Tab turned off I let it reboot fully before touching it to make sure I didn't brick it but You can skip that and go right into recovery if you want.

Reboot into recovery (POWER +Vol. UP)
**Vol. Up and Down control line selections and Power selects the line**
Select Install Zip
Select Choose Zip From External SD Card
Select android-armeabi-universal-root-signed.zip
Select Yes
Reboot
WIN!

Once I can find a way to safely upload a a nandroid or similar back-up (maybe a more experience Dev can send me a guide/walk me through it) I'll update this post with a link for a T-Mobile stock rooted rom. Or someone else can do it after you have root.

If You were part of creating any of the root files I used (found through Google and direct linked here) please let me know so I can credit you in my post.

Thank you Juncey, your guide helped me unlock my SM-T217T.

I had to really search for the files and figure out which ones I needed to use so here is where they are for anyone that is looking for them. These are provided for information purposes, so please use them are your own risk. Please verify the files before installing them. I provided filenames just in case links and filenames change in the future. I provide no guarantees or warranties, just that they worked for my Android device version 4.4.4. Good-luck.

1) Download and install the Samsung usb drivers first so your computer can communicate with the tablet. Just download Samsung Kies and make sure Device Manager in Windows shows the Samsung device drivers have been installed successfully when you connect your USB cable to your computer. If you notice drives showing as not installed or missing, just Launch Kies and choose reinstall drivers from its menu. That worked for me.
Filename: Kies3Setup.exe
Site URL: http://www.samsung.com/us/kies/
Download URL: http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/SW/201504/20150403105525868/Kies3Setup.exe

2) You need the Clock Work Recovery File.
Filename: T217S.CWM.try15.recovery.tar.zip
SIte URL: http://forum.xda-developers.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=49511899
Where to download: It is an attachment on gr8nole's first post.

3) You need the Universal Boot File.
FIlename: android-armeabi-universal-root-signed.zip
Site URL: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2789707
Where to download: View mdiaz33685's second post which points to his file hosting URL: http://www.androidfilehost.com/?w=devices&uid=9390248398092763634 . You need to go the Samsung Galaxy Tab III 7.0 page to find the file.

4) You need Odin.
Finename: Odin_v3.07.zip
Where to download: A link is in gr8nole's first post where he lists the instructions.

5) You need to flash SuperSu after following Juncey's guide to complete getting root. Just power off the phone. Press and hold the volume button up and press power until you see it say recovery. Wait for the phone to boot into recovery. Using the volume button to navigate, go to "Install Zip" and Select "Choose Zip From External SD Card." Choose the UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.46.zip file and go to yes. Press the power button for it to flash. Finally reboot the phone and you should have root. Also you should download BusyBox from Google Play store.
Filename: UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.46.zip
Site URL: https://download.chainfire.eu/696/SuperSU/UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.46.zip

Last edited:

rajnarasimhan

Sep 21, 2010
Miami
rooting tab 3 doesn't work. Inspite of following instructions, my recovery is still

Rooting tab 3 doesn't work. In spite of following instructions, my recovery is still stock recovery. I am in build number KTU84P.T217TUVBOH1. Any help will be appreciated.

X-weApon-X

Dec 4, 2013
Spring Valley, CA
socialspit.net
Rooting tab 3 doesn't work. In spite of following instructions, my recovery is still stock recovery. I am in build number KTU84P.T217TUVBOH1. Any help will be appreciated.

Did you install a recovery rom? Drag the SuperSU into your SDcard, I do it on my PC, using a micro to SD adapter. Place the SuperSU zip right in the root. Important: check your SDcard for errors, run windows Chkdsk on it. I had a 32gb card that had errors and rooting would fail.

Boot to your recovery rom then install SuperSU from there. There should be a minimal file browser in the installer area that you can use to point to SuperSU. Or kingroot, it should all work the same. After selected, just flash it into the device, after it reboots it should be rooted.

I had trouble with my smt217s, which I imagine the letters at the end denote the carrier? A for ATT, t for T-Mobile? But all you need is to use Odin to install a recovery, I used twrp. Use Odin 3.0.7. Then use the recovery to install the root package. But it's important to check your SDcard cos they get corrupted easily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

X-weApon-X

Dec 4, 2013
Spring Valley, CA
socialspit.net
If you used Odin to restore your default rom, that's the first step. But the main thing there is that you have to use the specific PDA file for your device and carrier. The guy I got this Gtab from didn't understand it, so it came to me in Knoxed state. The other thing is that it seems that T-Mobile was lax in releasing any 4.4.2 updates.

I'm wondering if there are any custom Roms for these devices that can be applied regardless of carrier? I've been searching but I don't see anything for my device.

This looks like a good thread: it's got videos.

[VIDEOS] Galaxy Tab 3 7in How to root, recovery, roms, & Kitkat
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2459817

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey All,

I didn't want to risk the ban as I have found this site very useful over the years so I'm posting this here. I know a lot of work goes into finding ways to root each device when possible so I thought I'd throw my $0.02 in.

I purchased a T-Mobile (SM-T217T) Galaxy Tab 3 7.0 last night and wanted it rooted. After hours of trying every method I could (SuperOne Click, Cydia Impactor, Kingo, and every other non Odin based root I could find) I gave up and decided to try some Odin methods.

And lastly Odin 3.07

Open Odin 3.07
    Click PDA in Odin, and select the CWM file which then asks to select the recovery file inside the tarball.
    Make sure the ONLY options selected are Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time and then click start.

Once the Tab turned off I let it reboot fully before touching it to make sure I didn't brick it but You can skip that and go right into recovery if you want.

Select Install Zip
    Select Yes
    Reboot
    WIN!

Once I can find a way to safely upload a a nandroid or similar back-up (maybe a more experience Dev can send me a guide/walk me through it) I'll update this post with a link for a T-Mobile stock rooted rom. Or someone else can do it after you have root.

If You were part of creating any of the root files I used (found through Google and direct linked here) please let me know so I can credit you in my post.
    Hey All,

And lastly Odin 3.07

Open Odin 3.07

Select Install Zip
    Select Yes
    Reboot
    WIN!

Thank you Juncey, your guide helped me unlock my SM-T217T.

I had to really search for the files and figure out which ones I needed to use so here is where they are for anyone that is looking for them. These are provided for information purposes, so please use them are your own risk. Please verify the files before installing them. I provided filenames just in case links and filenames change in the future. I provide no guarantees or warranties, just that they worked for my Android device version 4.4.4. Good-luck.

1) Download and install the Samsung usb drivers first so your computer can communicate with the tablet. Just download Samsung Kies and make sure Device Manager in Windows shows the Samsung device drivers have been installed successfully when you connect your USB cable to your computer. If you notice drives showing as not installed or missing, just Launch Kies and choose reinstall drivers from its menu. That worked for me.
    Filename: Kies3Setup.exe
    Site URL: http://www.samsung.com/us/kies/
    Download URL: http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/SW/201504/20150403105525868/Kies3Setup.exe

2) You need the Clock Work Recovery File.
    Filename: T217S.CWM.try15.recovery.tar.zip
    Where to download: It is an attachment on gr8nole's first post.

3) You need the Universal Boot File.
    FIlename: android-armeabi-universal-root-signed.zip
    Site URL: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2789707
    Where to download: View mdiaz33685's second post which points to his file hosting URL: http://www.androidfilehost.com/?w=devices&uid=9390248398092763634 . You need to go the Samsung Galaxy Tab III 7.0 page to find the file.

4) You need Odin.
    Finename: Odin_v3.07.zip
    Where to download: A link is in gr8nole's first post where he lists the instructions.

5) You need to flash SuperSu after following Juncey's guide to complete getting root. Just power off the phone. Press and hold the volume button up and press power until you see it say recovery. Wait for the phone to boot into recovery. Using the volume button to navigate, go to "Install Zip" and Select "Choose Zip From External SD Card." Choose the UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.46.zip file and go to yes. Press the power button for it to flash. Finally reboot the phone and you should have root. Also you should download BusyBox from Google Play store.
    Filename: UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.46.zip
    Site URL: https://download.chainfire.eu/696/SuperSU/UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.46.zip
    i know those are 4.2.2 but at least they are getting attention, meanning at least there's devs developing for it even if it's a modified 4.2.2 stock rom... 4.4.2 would be awesome for this tablet no doubt...I'm just hopping to get some development support for this puppy :fingers-crossed:, i hate this stupid TW...
    Working on it bro so far I'm testing a stock t217t 4.2.2 rooted deodexed with xposed framework, gravity box, and wanam. I'm trying to see if I can get the sprint 4.4.2 to boot on our t217t
    I see no files to download?

Sent from my SM-N900T using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Files are here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2514821

to be perfectly clear, I followed JUNCEY's INSTRUCTIONS, not the ones listed in the link I provided.

Enjoy!!!
    I got cm12 running on my t217t with twrp