• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 7.0 (SM-T217T) CWM recovery and Root

Search This thread

rayinitram

Jan 27, 2016
t217t the tmobile tab 3 7 inch tablet keep getting carrier error when ting to flas

t217t the tmobile tab 3 7 inch tablet keep getting carrier error when tring to flash the rom I think it's because the rom is for sprint does anyone know of 5.1.1 rom for this tablet for tmobile

X-weApon-X

Dec 4, 2013
Spring Valley, CA
socialspit.net
Yes, please!

---------- Post added at 02:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:43 PM ----------

t217t the tmobile tab 3 7 inch tablet keep getting carrier error when tring to flash the rom I think it's because the rom is for sprint does anyone know of 5.1.1 rom for this tablet for tmobile

Gotta use what ROMs are for the device, if T-Mobile didn't release rom for 5.1.1, you can't do it, unless you port Cyanogen to your device.

pqx

Dec 23, 2016
dallas
Files are here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2514821

to be perfectly clear, I followed JUNCEY's INSTRUCTIONS, not the ones listed in the link I provided.
!

These are for the SPRINT device not this t217 _T_ tmobile device.

Sprint has a CDMA radio.

Tmobile is NOT cdma compatible. There are likely LTE band mismatches

This seems problematic

---------- Post added at 01:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:52 AM ----------

Has anyone figured out how to make calls

install linphone app with a voipo dot com account

You don't want google voice because those are always THREE WAY calls: two people and the google platform bridging those people.

---------- Post added at 02:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:56 AM ----------

Working on it bro so far I'm testing a stock t217t 4.2.2 rooted deodexed with xposed framework, gravity box, and wanam

I no longer trust wanam xposed as the prior device it overwrote system files of American flavor with INCOMPLETE (broken xlm) files from an asaian market breaking innumerable features. I was able to repair the keyboard files but could not find a complete list of files wanam destroyed.

very sad

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey All,

I didn't want to risk the ban as I have found this site very useful over the years so I'm posting this here. I know a lot of work goes into finding ways to root each device when possible so I thought I'd throw my $0.02 in.

I purchased a T-Mobile (SM-T217T) Galaxy Tab 3 7.0 last night and wanted it rooted. After hours of trying every method I could (SuperOne Click, Cydia Impactor, Kingo, and every other non Odin based root I could find) I gave up and decided to try some Odin methods.

I downloaded the CWM recovery for the SM-T217S
    I grabbed The Universal Root file.
    And lastly Odin 3.07

BEFORE STARTING put the untouched Universal Root file on your EXTERNAL SD CARD

Put the Tab in download mode (Power + Vol DOWN)
    Open Odin 3.07
    Connected your Tab to the PC
    Click PDA in Odin, and select the CWM file which then asks to select the recovery file inside the tarball.
    Make sure the ONLY options selected are Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time and then click start.

Once the Tab turned off I let it reboot fully before touching it to make sure I didn't brick it but You can skip that and go right into recovery if you want.

Reboot into recovery (POWER +Vol. UP)
    **Vol. Up and Down control line selections and Power selects the line**
    Select Install Zip
    Select Choose Zip From External SD Card
    Select android-armeabi-universal-root-signed.zip
    Select Yes
    Reboot
    WIN!

Once I can find a way to safely upload a a nandroid or similar back-up (maybe a more experience Dev can send me a guide/walk me through it) I'll update this post with a link for a T-Mobile stock rooted rom. Or someone else can do it after you have root.

If You were part of creating any of the root files I used (found through Google and direct linked here) please let me know so I can credit you in my post.
    Hey All,

I didn't want to risk the ban as I have found this site very useful over the years so I'm posting this here. I know a lot of work goes into finding ways to root each device when possible so I thought I'd throw my $0.02 in.

I purchased a T-Mobile (SM-T217T) Galaxy Tab 3 7.0 last night and wanted it rooted. After hours of trying every method I could (SuperOne Click, Cydia Impactor, Kingo, and every other non Odin based root I could find) I gave up and decided to try some Odin methods.

I downloaded the CWM recovery for the SM-T217S
    I grabbed The Universal Root file.
    And lastly Odin 3.07

BEFORE STARTING put the untouched Universal Root file on your EXTERNAL SD CARD

Put the Tab in download mode (Power + Vol DOWN)
    Open Odin 3.07
    Connected your Tab to the PC
    Click PDA in Odin, and select the CWM file which then asks to select the recovery file inside the tarball.
    Make sure the ONLY options selected are Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time and then click start.

Once the Tab turned off I let it reboot fully before touching it to make sure I didn't brick it but You can skip that and go right into recovery if you want.

Reboot into recovery (POWER +Vol. UP)
    **Vol. Up and Down control line selections and Power selects the line**
    Select Install Zip
    Select Choose Zip From External SD Card
    Select android-armeabi-universal-root-signed.zip
    Select Yes
    Reboot
    WIN!

Once I can find a way to safely upload a a nandroid or similar back-up (maybe a more experience Dev can send me a guide/walk me through it) I'll update this post with a link for a T-Mobile stock rooted rom. Or someone else can do it after you have root.

If You were part of creating any of the root files I used (found through Google and direct linked here) please let me know so I can credit you in my post.

Thank you Juncey, your guide helped me unlock my SM-T217T.

I had to really search for the files and figure out which ones I needed to use so here is where they are for anyone that is looking for them. These are provided for information purposes, so please use them are your own risk. Please verify the files before installing them. I provided filenames just in case links and filenames change in the future. I provide no guarantees or warranties, just that they worked for my Android device version 4.4.4. Good-luck.

1) Download and install the Samsung usb drivers first so your computer can communicate with the tablet. Just download Samsung Kies and make sure Device Manager in Windows shows the Samsung device drivers have been installed successfully when you connect your USB cable to your computer. If you notice drives showing as not installed or missing, just Launch Kies and choose reinstall drivers from its menu. That worked for me.
    Filename: Kies3Setup.exe
    Site URL: http://www.samsung.com/us/kies/
    Download URL: http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/SW/201504/20150403105525868/Kies3Setup.exe

2) You need the Clock Work Recovery File.
    Filename: T217S.CWM.try15.recovery.tar.zip
    SIte URL: http://forum.xda-developers.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=49511899
    Where to download: It is an attachment on gr8nole's first post.

3) You need the Universal Boot File.
    FIlename: android-armeabi-universal-root-signed.zip
    Site URL: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2789707
    Where to download: View mdiaz33685's second post which points to his file hosting URL: http://www.androidfilehost.com/?w=devices&uid=9390248398092763634 . You need to go the Samsung Galaxy Tab III 7.0 page to find the file.

4) You need Odin.
    Finename: Odin_v3.07.zip
    SIte URL: http://forum.xda-developers.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=49511899
    Where to download: A link is in gr8nole's first post where he lists the instructions.

5) You need to flash SuperSu after following Juncey's guide to complete getting root. Just power off the phone. Press and hold the volume button up and press power until you see it say recovery. Wait for the phone to boot into recovery. Using the volume button to navigate, go to "Install Zip" and Select "Choose Zip From External SD Card." Choose the UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.46.zip file and go to yes. Press the power button for it to flash. Finally reboot the phone and you should have root. Also you should download BusyBox from Google Play store.
    Filename: UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.46.zip
    Site URL: https://download.chainfire.eu/696/SuperSU/UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.46.zip
    i know those are 4.2.2 but at least they are getting attention, meanning at least there's devs developing for it even if it's a modified 4.2.2 stock rom... 4.4.2 would be awesome for this tablet no doubt...I'm just hopping to get some development support for this puppy :fingers-crossed:, i hate this stupid TW...
    Working on it bro so far I'm testing a stock t217t 4.2.2 rooted deodexed with xposed framework, gravity box, and wanam. I'm trying to see if I can get the sprint 4.4.2 to boot on our t217t
    I see no files to download?

Sent from my SM-N900T using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Files are here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2514821

to be perfectly clear, I followed JUNCEY's INSTRUCTIONS, not the ones listed in the link I provided.

Enjoy!!!
    I got cm12 running on my t217t with twrp