• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Question T-mobile unlock?

Search This thread

therussiann

Jul 17, 2014
I am considering a T-mobile version of the Op9 pro because it would be substantially cheaper for me, but I like to have my phone rooted. How difficult would it be to unlock and root the tmob version of the phone?

terlynn4

Aug 18, 2012
Fort Worth, TX
Nexus 9
OnePlus 9 Pro
I went through this exact questioning process when I bought my OP7Pro from T-Mobile 2 years ago. I did that because it was cheaper, but the only way to root is to first get T-Mobile to unlock the device, which they will not do if you're making payments on the phone. Luckily there was someone here at XDA who had a connection at T-Mobile and was able to have them unlock it for me.

So the choices seem to be:
1) Pay off the phone and then T-Mobile will unlock it.
2) Have a connection at T-Mobile (or good persuasion skills) and get them to unlock it against policy.
3) Buy from the manufacturer or another vendor so it's already unlocked.

This time I went with Option 3, even though it will cost me a bit more.

Reactions: galaxys

elodin_89

Jun 2, 2010
I went through this exact questioning process when I bought my OP7Pro from T-Mobile 2 years ago. I did that because it was cheaper, but the only way to root is to first get T-Mobile to unlock the device, which they will not do if you're making payments on the phone. Luckily there was someone here at XDA who had a connection at T-Mobile and was able to have them unlock it for me.

2) Have a connection at T-Mobile (or good persuasion skills) and get them to unlock it against policy.

Ha! Same exact position I was in with my OP7Pro. Hated myself for going the T-Mo purchase route as it took a long time to unlock and then eventually flash the International ROM to get rid of the T-Mo one it shipped with.

For those getting it from T-Mobile in installments (like I did with my OP7Pro), what worked for me was reaching out to T-Mo support on Twitter (@TMobileHelp). DM them and tell them you're traveling and need the phone unlocked before you travel. Took a couple of tries to get a nice enough rep to unlock it for me. YMMV.

Can't wait til I get my OP9Pro!

Reactions: terlynn4

terlynn4

Aug 18, 2012
Fort Worth, TX
Nexus 9
OnePlus 9 Pro
Ha! Same exact position I was in with my OP7Pro. Hated myself for going the T-Mo purchase route as it took a long time to unlock and then eventually flash the International ROM to get rid of the T-Mo one it shipped with.

For those getting it from T-Mobile in installments (like I did with my OP7Pro), what worked for me was reaching out to T-Mo support on Twitter (@TMobileHelp). DM them and tell them you're traveling and need the phone unlocked before you travel. Took a couple of tries to get a nice enough rep to unlock it for me. YMMV.

Interesting, I'm surprised that worked. I do travel to a place without T-Mobile service to visit family once in awhile, and they only did a temporary unlock for me in the past (10-day? 30-day? I don't remember). I never tried telling them I was going on a longer trip. Good to know in case there's a next time!

T-Mobile, even when paying full price up front, will not unlock the phone for 40 days. The only advantages to buying the phone directly from T-Mobile is carrier bill financing (though their trade in offer is disappointing), and roaming on US Cellular/Nex-Tech (IMEI whitelist bull involved...).

If those aren't needed, then buying direct from OnePlus or a retailer like Best Buy (they are doing preorders now) is a better option.

PhoenixPath

I've done this on the three oneplus devices I bought from T-Mo; Got on twitter (at least one business day after purchase so the device is updated in their system) and tell them I need it unlocked so my company can install their security software. This time I went with a direct-buy from Oneplus for the 9 Pro though - just me not wanting to have to deal with that again. Of note, my account with T-Mobile has been active and in good standing for over 10 years, which may have affected their willingness to unlock so quickly while device was still on EIP. It may not work for you if you have a new account or have late/missed payments.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.