T-mobile users make sure you're using a 5g sim card.

Search This thread

BigMosley

Aug 19, 2011
Just saw on twitter that if you have a 5G device on T-Mobile and you are using your old 4G SIM card you need to get a new pink "R15" SIM card. My N20U is unlocked from Samsung so I didn't get this new SIM card but I am requesting one from T-Mobile online nowm. I'm wondering if this is why my T-Mobile 5G speeds have been slower than my 4G speeds?

https://www.t-mobile.com/support/de...cmpid=MGPO_SS_C_SVCMSG_LUED3SQVQJ1JN1U7P58686

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20200917-144659_Chrome.jpg
    SmartSelect_20200917-144659_Chrome.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 514

warriorvibhu

Inactive Recognized Developer
Aug 28, 2007
Somewhere Amazing
HTC One (m7)
LG V10
Just saw on twitter that if you have a 5G device on T-Mobile and you are using your old 4G SIM card you need to get a new pink "R15" SIM card. My N20U is unlocked from Samsung so I didn't get this new SIM card but I am requesting one from T-Mobile online nowm. I'm wondering if this is why my T-Mobile 5G speeds have been slower than my 4G speeds?

https://www.t-mobile.com/support/de...cmpid=MGPO_SS_C_SVCMSG_LUED3SQVQJ1JN1U7P58686

Thanks for this info, i was wondering why my speeds are low. Though i am a little skeptical that this dependency should not exist so i have reached out to T-Mobile will update as soon as i hear from them.
Update- i can confirm that a new sim is needed to be able to use the full 5G potential. My speeds are still the same as my old sim was giving me which is not more than 4G LTE. This might have to to with my location and with the update from Samsung side thats pending so we can use 5G SA. I will check mmwave speeds when i can ( WHen i venture out in midtown Manhattan).

Last edited:

ggrant3876

• Jun 17, 2009
    Wichita Falls, Texas

Unlocked Note 20 Ultra on T-Mobile network, using the same sim card I've used for 5 years and my 5G speeds are twice as fast as my 4G speeds. It's exactly the same on my LG V60, don't think the sim card is the culprit!

LeadDawg

Jun 2, 2007
    Texas
    www.threeleggeddawg.com
    I've got a T-mobile locked from Samsung and the same sim for years and would like to know if these speeds would improve by activating the 5G sim? Right now it's as fast as my 100mbs cable from Spectrum.SmartSelect_20200917-154757_Speedtest.jpg

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

marctronixx

Jul 18, 2007
    note 20 ultra does not have the update needed to take advantage of this yet. im just fine with my trust old several year old sim. ill look into getting a couple for my ultra and fold 2 in a couple months maybe...

wingzero

Jan 23, 2007

Hi, how much does T-Mobile charge for the 5G sim card? Thanks.

BigMosley

Aug 19, 2011
    Hi, how much does T-Mobile charge for the 5G sim card? Thanks.
    I went on the T-Mobile app chat and was able to get one for $10.60 with tax and they upgraded the shipping to overnight shipping for free. I have read you can just walk into a T-Mobile store and get one for free, but the closest store to me is like 45 mins away so I'll just pay the $10.60.

wingzero

Jan 23, 2007
    I went on the T-Mobile app chat and was able to get one for $10.60 with tax and they upgraded the shipping to overnight shipping for free. I have read you can just walk into a T-Mobile store and get one for free, but the closest store to me is like 45 mins away so I'll just pay the $10.60.
    Thanks. Just ordered one from T-Mobile, $10.90 plus free shipping. Most Tmobile stores charge $25 for a regular sim. The R15 will probably cost even more.

LeadDawg

Jun 2, 2007
    Texas
    www.threeleggeddawg.com
    I got one in the box, just switched over via online at no cost, my speed actually dropped but probably due to congestion. Its for the new stand alone signal which is not in my area anyway. I'll check speeds again tomorrow.

LeadDawg

Jun 2, 2007
    Texas
    www.threeleggeddawg.com
    I got one in the box, just switched over via online at no cost, my speed actually dropped but probably due to congestion. Its for the new stand alone signal which is not in my area anyway. I'll check speeds again tomorrow.

Looks like congestion was the culprit, speeds with the new 5G sim is back up and we ready for the updates whenever that might happen SmartSelect_20200918-103012_Speedtest.jpg

warriorvibhu

Inactive Recognized Developer
    Aug 28, 2007
    Somewhere Amazing
    HTC One (m7)
    LG V10
    Well just went to the store and they wanted $10 plus tax. Guess it varies by store.
    So weird tell them that you were told by tmobile help over phone that there are no charges. Also make sure that when the sim comes out there would be 2 bar codes on the Card before the sim is taken out of it, the top barcode should end in 70 (Thats the 5G one). See Picture

Attachments

• 20200918_201428.jpg
      20200918_201428.jpg
      262.7 KB · Views: 138

wingzero

Jan 23, 2007
    So weird tell them that you were told by tmobile help over phone that there are no charges. Also make sure that when the sim comes out there would be 2 bar codes on the Card before the sim is taken out of it, the top barcode should end in 70 (Thats the 5G one). See Picture
    That's exactly what I told the rep but he said he can't waive the fee. Will try a different store tomorrow. :mad:

Our Apps
    Get our official app!
    The best way to access XDA on your phone
    Nav Gestures
    Add swipe gestures to any Android
    One Handed Mode
    Eases uses one hand with your phone