T-mobile users make sure you're using a 5g sim card.

Search This thread

marctronixx

Jul 18, 2007
last week i had time so i curated a message to tmo tforce/twitter. in it i was very explicit in what I wanted and put the link up for the r15 page on tmo website so the helper would know exactly where im getting this info from.

i then said i was told the sim is free and i need two (ultra note 20 and fold 2) . then i went on about my day, and checked back later for their response. i got a message back from a cat who set me up with free shipping and , whilst he had to charge me for the cards, i got the 21 dollar credit (tax included) on my account immediately, so the cards are free. he stated the system would not let him send them for free, so this was the work around.

in my opinion, if you want these cards , be direct in what you are asking. let them know you verified you have old cards and , whilst you can go into the store and get them for free, you rather not for health reasons (pandemic-- which can be a legitimate concern).

just be direct and dont give them any room to wiggle out. :) it also helps to be cordial and kind to them , as we know they spend all day texting random strangers (some of whom can be rude), and its refreshing to get a customer who is nice and respectful.

NippleSauce

• Jun 23, 2013
    I guess it depends upon where you purchased your device from. I got my Note 20 Ultra right from Samsung's website and it got delivered with the R15 SIM right inside the box. I got my phone on the 19th (so two days before release date), however, the new SIM didn't activate until the 21st. So I had to go two days without a functioning cell phone lol. I had called T-Mobile and had discussed the new SIM with them, but yeah, it stayed disabled until the Note 20 Ultra's official release date.

BigMosley

Aug 19, 2011
    I guess it depends upon where you purchased your device from. I got my Note 20 Ultra right from Samsung's website and it got delivered with the R15 SIM right inside the box. I got my phone on the 19th (so two days before release date), however, the new SIM didn't activate until the 21st. So I had to go two days without a functioning cell phone lol. I had called T-Mobile and had discussed the new SIM with them, but yeah, it stayed disabled until the Note 20 Ultra's official release date.

Did you get the T-Mobile version from Samsung? I purchased the Unlocked from Samsung and it didn't come with a SIM card, so I had to request one from T-Mobile.

NippleSauce

• Jun 23, 2013
    Did you get the T-Mobile version from Samsung? I purchased the Unlocked from Samsung and it didn't come with a SIM card, so I had to request one from T-Mobile.

Yeah, my bad, I grabbed the T-Mobile version from Samsung. I didn't know if the Unlocked version would come with the Snapdragon or Exynos so I just grabbed the T-Mobile version, unfortunately =/.
    Still happy as heck with the phone though! Hope you are too!

BigMosley

Aug 19, 2011
    Yeah, my bad, I grabbed the T-Mobile version from Samsung. I didn't know if the Unlocked version would come with the Snapdragon or Exynos so I just grabbed the T-Mobile version, unfortunately =/.
    Still happy as heck with the phone though! Hope you are too!
    No doubt. I was able to get the 5G SIM for free from T-Mobile after doing an online chat.

Tonyy1206

Feb 14, 2018
    You gots to be kidding me!

went to the store instead...

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
      Capture.PNG
      55.6 KB · Views: 145
    • ScreenShot_20200930161342.png
      ScreenShot_20200930161342.png
      116.3 KB · Views: 145

2003vstrom

May 3, 2010
    coldwater,mi
    yeah I have tmobile Prepaid, and went on the facebook and messaged them and told them I needed the New "R15" sim card for the SA5G, gave them my phone number and they sent it to me for free and was shipped UPS next day air.

wingzero

Jan 23, 2007
    I called T-mobile twice and chatted once but they all said I don't need the R15 to get 5G and the R15 sim would cost $10+tax. :(

P.S Anyone knows what's the key icon in the taskbar is?

Last edited:

Mr. Orange 645

Sep 6, 2010
    Springfield
    Just went to T-Mobile and updated the SIM cards on both my lines. No charge, even though only one actually has a 5G device on it.

Speeds do seem faster, and the guys at the T-mobile already knew I needed the R15 SIM card when I told them what I was there to do.

Thanks to the OP for this post!

gotti109

Aug 3, 2007
    I was able to get the updated sim, but now I can't roam on sprint networks in areas it used to with the old sim.... do I have to put or add something to the network settings... I was just getting used to roaming on sprint.

lennie

Aug 5, 2007
    I'm using my old sim and getting great 5G speeds, NYC, unlocked using t-mobile

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200925-162806_Edge.jpg
      Screenshot_20200925-162806_Edge.jpg
      199.1 KB · Views: 143
    Our Apps
    Get our official app!
    The best way to access XDA on your phone
    Nav Gestures
    Add swipe gestures to any Android
    One Handed Mode
    Eases uses one hand with your phone