• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

T-Mobile Z3 bent already :mad:

Search This thread

dhaliwal925

Aug 20, 2012
Just noticed that my phone is already bent. The only thing I can think of is that this could be the result of the arm band I used the first day I had it. FFFFFFFFFKKKKK. This is real BS I hate cases but I hope you guys are using them..

EDIT: Adding pictures. The phones seems to have bent at the frame at the power button - there is a slight dimple right below it.

I am extremely sad, mad, angry, and upset.

IMAG0570.jpg

IMAG0572.jpg

IMAG0574.jpg

The Glass is warped on both sides. I am afraid of using the phone because it might crack if it gets too hot :(
IMAG0578.jpg

This picture shows the worst of it!
IMAG0579.jpg

Last edited:

dhaliwal925

Aug 20, 2012
Back pocket? Ultra tight front pocket?

Never put the phone in my back pocket, and I don't wear tight fitting pants. The phone is usually in my hand when I am driving, and on the desk at work.

He said arm band.
which is weird unless it's a really tight armband or he put it near his elbow.

The armband couldn't have been too tight otherwise I would have no blood flow to my arm, and if it was near my elbow no movement. However, this is the only thing I can think of because of the above stated.

Have you contacted t-mobile?

No, not yet. I think I would be just better off returning the phone - it's literally just been 4 days.

Kag

Sep 10, 2006
Screen cracks are fairly common with arm bands
First time i see a bent phone from it.

It is easy to generate a lot of force when jogging even when it isn't really tight, it tends to be the g-force doing the damage.

Well no harm trying to request for return.

I'd say it is really a bad timing to return a bent phone due to bendgate.
Good luck.

Last edited:
Reactions: dhaliwal925

Elysian893

Jan 27, 2010
None of this adds up to me. Can't see how an arm band could cause this. I tried bending my phone a little bit after seeing this thread, and it's a little flexible, but my bending didn't cause a permanent bend (granted I wasn't trying to permanently bend it either). If you don't wear tight fitting jeans and don't put it in your back pocket, all I can think is you tried to bend it yourself... If it's not that then there is something else you did that you're not telling us...

dhaliwal925

Aug 20, 2012
None of this adds up to me. Can't see how an arm band could cause this. I tried bending my phone a little bit after seeing this thread, and it's a little flexible, but my bending didn't cause a permanent bend (granted I wasn't trying to permanently bend it either). If you don't wear tight fitting jeans and don't put it in your back pocket, all I can think is you tried to bend it yourself... If it's not that then there is something else you did that you're not telling us...

Look, I'm just telling what could be the issue by giving you as much information as possible. The phone is big enough and skinny enough to bend - aluminium isn't known for its strength. I am not rich enough to buy a phone and bend it just for fun. I switched to T-Mobile and ran with an AT&T M8 waiting for this thing to get released, and I'm just sharing my concerns and experience with community.

I don't need to lie to you, even I don't know how in the heck this is possible!

Please show us what the armband looks like.

What model phone(s) is the armband designed for?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00MN...200_QL40&qid=1414861715&sr=8-1#ref=mp_s_a_1_1

Whatever the cause, using wooden blocks and clamps you should be able to bend it back. I have seen it done with an iPhone 5/5S.

Lol, I will skip on that - I rather pay the $50 restocking fee.

abhinav.tella

Jan 8, 2011
Minneapolis
You must have massive muscle bulges, while running the flex of your deltoid and biceps/triceps probably caused it to bend. Its a testament to your strength.:D

Comedy aside, it definately sucks though. I do not think TMO will replace it. It does seem more fragile than the Z2 according two those who have both.

Last edited:

chetly968

Jul 15, 2014
Paradise Valley
I usedto have a copper z3 that hada slight bend in it just like yours. What made mine worsewas a bulge that separated the aluminumfrom the glass just behind the power button. Like you im not sure how it hapoened as i usually take great care of my phones (have not dropped one since 2006). I was out for the night with friends while it was in my front pocket. The jeans were a little snug but not really tight. I think we may see more issues like this in the future as more time passes. I had had the phone for some time before i noticed it so it was definitely a new occurrence.

Lock-N-Load

Aug 25, 2010
Under Your Skin
Oh man.. this is no bueno. If this happened here, it is going to happen to a TON of people. Jeez.. maybe this will be the 1 upside to the thicker, bulkier, plastic based Z3v frame and body.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    That's a significant bend for you to not know how it happened.

And that is exactly my point! Phones shouldn't just bend.

Besides I think you have already made up your mind about me so there is no point in arguing with you. Just consider this a warning and be careful with your phone.
    after owning the z2 for almost 2 years and having the z3 since launch, I think its impossible that this happened, but i find it extremely hard to believe that it just "happened". Purely out of my own opinion i would say user is at fault here not sony.
    Is that the same Z2 released Q2 2014?
    The phone is usually in my hand when I am driving

Put the phone down and and drive properly.
    He probably did it on purpose, i dont believe this one bit.

1. I did not do this on purpose.
    2. You don't have to believe me, I don't believe everything I read on the internet either.

Maybe even photoshop.

I wish it was a photoshop!

after owning the z2 for almost 2 years and having the z3 since launch, I think its impossible that this happened, but i find it extremely hard to believe that it just "happened". Purely out of my own opinion i would say user is at fault here not sony.

I wouldn't necessarily say this is impossible, because it happened. And you are right it might be some of my fault - I listed exactly what I did with the phone.

I want a well built sleek looking device just as much as the next guy, but I am not going to pay upwards for $600 for a premium quality phone only to cover it up with a cheap looking $30 plastic case. If manufacturers are going to make thinner phones at the expense of their structural integrity, I rather just have a slightly thicker device. I didn’t do anything different with this phone, used it like I have used any phone I have had before this, and I expect it to perform just as well as the others.

My purpose to post on XDA was to warm like-minded phone enthusiasts of the possibility that the phone might be not structurally suited for certain activities – it is unfortunate that it comes at a time where this whole “bendgate” thing is throwing everything out of proportion. If I really wanted to get some publicity or make some money off of this, XDA would not be the place to post – there are other mediums that are far more lucrative.

So take it with a grain of salt - or don't believe me, I really could careless I am just letting whoever is willing to take a hard look at this device to be careful.
    Screen cracks are fairly common with arm bands
    First time i see a bent phone from it.

It is easy to generate a lot of force when jogging even when it isn't really tight, it tends to be the g-force doing the damage.

Well no harm trying to request for return.

I'd say it is really a bad timing to return a bent phone due to bendgate.
    Good luck.