T280 Custom ROM Progress Thread

Search This thread

barrie.kenyon

Jun 9, 2015
Good morning guys.
Is there any progress on a custom ROME for the T280?
Self-isolation will continue for some weeks yet here in the UK. Someone must have the ability and the time to get this project moving! Lots of people out here will help with testing etc, including me. Just ask.
Let's make the T280 great again!
Barrie

Rutilicus

Aug 15, 2006
We only need a good custom rom (My basic wish is to use external memory as internal). Of course, I am also ready to give my support with my T280 (in fact I have two). But unfortunately I am no programmer and what I am only able to do is to flash my gadget, nothing else :(

garylawwd

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Good morning guys.
Is there any progress on a custom ROME for the T280?
Self-isolation will continue for some weeks yet here in the UK. Someone must have the ability and the time to get this project moving! Lots of people out here will help with testing etc, including me. Just ask.
Let's make the T280 great again!
Barrie
Why would someone bother wasting there time. It's a lot of work for absolutely no return only users saying "this is buggy, that is laggy" etc
Too old of a tablet to be wasting so much time on.
All the work that must be done to the device tree alone is substantial.
And to do all that work for a tablet thats stuck in the prehistoric lollipop days seems a waste of someones time who could actually be doing something productive.
I had a look at what I could do with sources and stuff a while back and it is a mess so no thank you.

Maybe I'm wrong and someone will try get the ball rolling here but I highly doubt it.

Keep yourself safe man.

Rutilicus

Aug 15, 2006
Why would someone bother wasting there time. It's a lot of work for absolutely no return only users saying "this is buggy, that is laggy" etc
Too old of a tablet to be wasting so much time on.
All the work that must be done to the device tree alone is substantial.
And to do all that work for a tablet thats stuck in the prehistoric lollipop days seems a waste of someones time who could actually be doing something productive.
I had a look at what I could do with sources and stuff a while back and it is a mess so no thank you.

Maybe I'm wrong and someone will try get the ball rolling here but I highly doubt it.

Keep yourself safe man.

But the T285 thread is going on and if you have a custom rom for T280, I think the hardware is enough to handle higher level android software, isn't it?

garylawwd

Forum Moderator
Staff member
But the T285 thread is going on and if you have a custom rom for T280, I think the hardware is enough to handle higher level android software, isn't it?
It is I have Galaxy j500f with the same soc (sd410) running Android 10 but the problem still lies with the device trees. I don't think you understand the work that will have to go into it, especially for an older device which not many people are using unfortunately

barrie.kenyon

Jun 9, 2015
There are comments about this thread on the T285
Custom ROM thread.
The T285 has Lineage 14.1 (android 7.1). That would be better than current 5.1. Android 8 or 9 would be even better!
Can we get enough of a team together to make this happen?

barrie.kenyon

Jun 9, 2015
We are 2 weeks further into lockdown and we do not seem to be making much progress.
This lock down is surely only going to last a few more weeks. It is either clear the garage, hack the garden, or get this project to completion.
What do we need to do to get a result?

_mone

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 25, 2015
London
>>> lineage-14.1-20200512-UNOFFICIAL-gtexswifi.zip <<<
As of now I describe this build as a "massive hack".. samsung made this device very difficult to work with..
This build has NO AUDIO, NO BRIGHTNESS CONTROL, NO CAMERA.. and probably more! It is a "selinux permissive" "eng" build.
Sources will come in the next few days (a week?)(no ETA), I need to clean them up and fix audio first.
Flash it via TWRP if you're brave enough.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200512-174835.png
    Screenshot_20200512-174835.png
    75.5 KB · Views: 578

FabioSan

Dec 2, 2013
As of now I describe this build as a "massive hack".. samsung made this device very difficult to work with..
This build has NO AUDIO, NO BRIGHTNESS CONTROL, NO CAMERA.. and probably more! It is a "selinux permissive" "eng" build.
Sources will come in the next few days (a week?)(no ETA), I need to clean them up and fix audio first.
Wow mate, you kinda did a big miracle xD
Following your progresses from now on, good job!

Reactions: _mone

barrie.kenyon

Jun 9, 2015
Amazing!
I was beginning to think that this thread was dead, but suddenly it springs to life.
Keep up the good work. I am sure that other developers will want to contribute to your success.
We all look forward to seeing your progress over the coming days.
Best wishes
Barrie

FabioSan

Dec 2, 2013
Okay I was (I'm still) testing the rom
Surely it need fixes and improvements, but have android 7.1.2 instead crappy samsung 5.1 It's already the heaven!

Reactions: fmosegui

No3ight

Jul 11, 2016
Ahaus
Hey Guys,

first off all I would like to say thanks to all of you making progress in developing for sm-t280. Are there any news in cm14? Today I will flash the first build of cm14 for the sm-t280. I hope that we will get a fully working cm in the future.

Greetings.

MariosMpalas

Aug 14, 2016
Thessaloniki
@_mone I flashed your build and it just made my tablet more beautiful. Except the errors you have written i see a red flashing border around the screen and also the offline charging indicator (the one shown when the tablet is turned off) is upside down. Also i think you should create a separate thread for this rom as you did the most difficult part, you ported the main rom.

FabioSan

Dec 2, 2013
@_mone I flashed your build and it just made my tablet more beautiful. Except the errors you have written i see a red flashing border around the screen and also the offline charging indicator (the one shown when the tablet is turned off) is upside down. Also i think you should create a separate thread for this rom as you did the most difficult part, you ported the main rom.

You have to flash Pico gapps :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is what I know of the state of the T280 development.

TWRP and root has been available for the T280 for some time, almost at the same time the T285 version has. There is no non-stock based rom available yet.

Custom T280 kernel here courtesy of @_mone, there are reports that it works with an updated T280 stock firmware.

Before flashing a generated boot.img note that it requires special headers for the T280 here: https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=68843058&postcount=81. There is at least one developer in this forum that is looking to make this process easier.

Assumming this works with the T280 stock firmware, the steps that I see are the following:

1. Patch the N and M related linux kernel patches to the T280 kernel http://jeffvanderstoep.blogspot.com/2016/05/selinux-kernel-patches-for-android-n.html. Update the arm defconfig to the latest recommended by android.

2. Create a lineage device tree, you can use my gtexslte manifest as a starting point https://github.com/jedld/android.git. Probably just need to take out the RIL related modules.
    Anyone mind if I take a shot at the T280? I just recently got the device and have experience porting Lineage 14.1 for the Asus Zenfone 3. I would be happy to take a look... looks like @jedld did a lot of the heavy lifting with the T285. A few differences but nothing major.
    It's INCREDIBLE that a 2016 Tablet, from a big brand (Samsung), is STILL on 5.1, while as of today we are on Android 9.0.
    Just got a T280 - would like to get Nougat on it. I saw @jedld did awesome work on T285 and @_mone did with TWRP, however, I was hoping to create a thread to consolidate any ongoing efforts for T280 in one place, and see where I could help.