T280 Custom ROM Progress Thread

Search This thread

JDtheHutt

Sep 16, 2013
>>> lineage-14.1-20200512-UNOFFICIAL-gtexswifi.zip <<<
As of now I describe this build as a "massive hack".. samsung made this device very difficult to work with..
This build has NO AUDIO, NO BRIGHTNESS CONTROL, NO CAMERA.. and probably more! It is a "selinux permissive" "eng" build.
Sources will come in the next few days (a week?)(no ETA), I need to clean them up and fix audio first.
Flash it via TWRP if you're brave enough.

Thank you for this. My son has this tablet and I've been meaning to flash it for ages but hadn't realised how little development was being done for this till now. Eagerly awaiting your updates, you'll make the life of this father a lot easier!

barrie.kenyon

Jun 9, 2015
Hi _mone.
Since you aannounced the custom rom mid may we have heard nothing at all from you. Are you still doing anything with it, or has your interest gone?
There are hundreds of people watching this thread who would appreciate an update on progress, if any. The fact that you achieved a working first step is brilliant. If you need help to get to the next stage I am sure there are capable people who would be eager to jump in.

Just please let us know you are still interested in taking this forward.

barrie.kenyon

Jun 9, 2015
I posted a message to _mone the developer one month ago today, asking if he was still interested /involved/ working on the T280 Custom ROM that he had produced. He had said initially that there were a number of issues that needed to be resolved, but hundreds of people welcomed the release of his work and waited for further releases.
It now looks like nothing is happening and we have all been waiting in vain.
If anyone is in contact with _mone please can you find out what is happening and comment here. Do we wait another fruitless month before abandoning hope and buying a new tablet? Is anyone prepared / capable / able to pick up the project? Is there anyone listening at all?

---------- Post added at 09:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:06 AM ----------

I posted a message to _mone the developer one month ago today, asking if he was still interested /involved/ working on the T280 Custom ROM that he had produced. He had said initially that there were a number of issues that needed to be resolved, but hundreds of people welcomed the release of his work and waited for further releases.
It now looks like nothing is happening and we have all been waiting in vain.
If anyone is in contact with _mone please can you find out what is happening and comment here. Do we wait another fruitless month before abandoning hope and buying a new tablet? Is anyone prepared / capable / able to pick up the project? Is there anyone listening at all?

barrie.kenyon

Jun 9, 2015
11 days later and no response from _mone or ANYONE else.
I guess that this tells you everything that we all need to know.
Such a shame that a major jump forwards has actually come to nothing,
I guess that now is the time to research and new cheap tablet that will do what I need. I am looking at the Amazon Fire HD 8 2018 which has a port of Lineos 17.1 in progress.
Such a shame!

jedld

Oct 15, 2007
Bacoor
It's been a while since I've been on the scene, unfortunately I donated my SM-T285 so I'm not able to update that device anymore.. I'm glad that _mone had some progress with the T280, though if the hardware is cheap enough online I will try to get one and see if I can do something about at least parity with the T285. oreo and above has a reworked hal and takes a lot of effort to port over.

Jalapeno95

Aug 30, 2020
This is what I know of the state of the T280 development.
Hey could you make a stock based rom with nova launcher and only google apps and remove all stock apps
I would really appreciate it
Any android version above 4.4.4 with only google apps and nova launcher for usa xar rom
Thankyou so much
:)

tigerpro357

Jan 19, 2016
I just came across one of these T280 tablets, I have a port of Ubuntu Touch for a Galaxy Note 4, I can use _mone's work and try to get Ubuntu Touch working on this if there ia any interest, if not I will just keep it as a Truck GPS for my primary job and port it over at my leisure.

_mone

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 25, 2015
London
>>> lineage-14.1-20200903-UNOFFICIAL-gtexswifi.zip <<<

Everything (apart camera) should work now. If you find any other bugs let me know and (maybe) I'll try to fix them.

Kernel updated to 3.10.108. Implemented and enabled google's sdcardfs. Updated f2fs.

Apologies for the long wait but a lot happened in real life and I had no time nor will to work on this project.
Things have settled down and in the last 2 days I've fixed the remaining bugs on my list. I didn't look into the camera issue, and I don't know if I will, as I don't really care about the horrible camera of this device.
If someone is interested on having a working camera I'll may have a look.. no promises tho.

I've also updated the recovery to TWRP-3.4.0-0 and you can find it here.

Enjoy.

EDIT: I've created a new thread: [ROM][LineageOS-14.1] Samsung Galaxy Tab A 7.0 - SM-T280 (gtexswifi), I'll post updates there.

Last edited:

barrie.kenyon

Jun 9, 2015
Hi
I apologise for the moaning! Most of it was frustration at the T280 (or rather Android 5) and its limited capabilities. I thank _mone for his efforts fixing the issues, and hope his real life issues settle down. I will now try to load the ROM and see my tablet fly!
Many thanks.

garylawwd

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Hi
I apologise for the moaning! Most of it was frustration at the T280 (or rather Android 5) and its limited capabilities. I thank _mone for his efforts fixing the issues, and hope his real life issues settle down. I will now try to load the ROM and see my tablet fly!
Many thanks.
I was just joking brother.
Great developer though fair play to him.
Hope you enjoy the ROM :cowboy:

eternity_x

Jun 1, 2020

Everything (apart camera) should work now. If you find any other bugs let me know and (maybe) I'll try to fix them.

Kernel updated to 3.10.108. Implemented and enabled google's sdcardfs. Updated f2fs.

Apologies for the long wait but a lot happened in real life and I had no time nor will to work on this project.
Things have settled down and in the last 2 days I've fixed the remaining bugs on my list. I didn't look into the camera issue, and I don't know if I will, as I don't really care about the horrible camera of this device.
If someone is interested on having a working camera I'll may have a look.. no promises tho.

Enjoy.

EDIT: I've created a new thread: [ROM][LineageOS-14.1] Samsung Galaxy Tab A 7.0 - SM-T280 (gtexswifi), I'll post updates there.

Dude, i would like to thank you for your effort and the amazing job done. My tablet was such a trash, laggy and loaded with useless apps. I guess i'll be finally able to use it properly. Hope everything be fine with you and everyone facing these tough times - especially nowadays.

dcap0187

Nov 18, 2013

Enjoy.

everything worked perfect, great job. i installed "open camera" from the play store and the camera works too.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    >>> lineage-14.1-20200512-UNOFFICIAL-gtexswifi.zip <<<
    As of now I describe this build as a "massive hack".. samsung made this device very difficult to work with..
    This build has NO AUDIO, NO BRIGHTNESS CONTROL, NO CAMERA.. and probably more! It is a "selinux permissive" "eng" build.
    Sources will come in the next few days (a week?)(no ETA), I need to clean them up and fix audio first.
    Flash it via TWRP if you're brave enough.
    This is what I know of the state of the T280 development.

TWRP and root has been available for the T280 for some time, almost at the same time the T285 version has. There is no non-stock based rom available yet.

Custom T280 kernel here courtesy of @_mone, there are reports that it works with an updated T280 stock firmware.

Before flashing a generated boot.img note that it requires special headers for the T280 here: https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=68843058&postcount=81. There is at least one developer in this forum that is looking to make this process easier.

Assumming this works with the T280 stock firmware, the steps that I see are the following:

1. Patch the N and M related linux kernel patches to the T280 kernel http://jeffvanderstoep.blogspot.com/2016/05/selinux-kernel-patches-for-android-n.html. Update the arm defconfig to the latest recommended by android.

2. Create a lineage device tree, you can use my gtexslte manifest as a starting point https://github.com/jedld/android.git. Probably just need to take out the RIL related modules.
    Anyone mind if I take a shot at the T280? I just recently got the device and have experience porting Lineage 14.1 for the Asus Zenfone 3. I would be happy to take a look... looks like @jedld did a lot of the heavy lifting with the T285. A few differences but nothing major.
    It's INCREDIBLE that a 2016 Tablet, from a big brand (Samsung), is STILL on 5.1, while as of today we are on Android 9.0.
    Just got a T280 - would like to get Nougat on it. I saw @jedld did awesome work on T285 and @_mone did with TWRP, however, I was hoping to create a thread to consolidate any ongoing efforts for T280 in one place, and see where I could help.