Tab 3 8 official kikat update (T310) + root instrucions

Search This thread

smanq

Feb 27, 2013
I'll try to recap for clarifying:
1. We can flash the stock 4.4.2 ROM through Odin
2. Now we can flash a custom recovery (TWRP_T31x_r3.tar)
3. We can finally flash cf-auto-root.
With this 3 steps we will have a TAB3 8.0 with stock 4.4.2, rooted, with custom recovery and official knox status, right?
:)

Yes, but the custom recovery gets replaced by the one from cf-root that seems to be a officiant one.

Done, but now the knox status is custom, not official. The recovery is that from cf-root... I'll think for a solution if I'll need it, now I like more to have root and custom recovery :cool:

---------- Post added at 12:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:26 AM ----------

You need to root it, it's a real stock ROM.

DigitalMD

Mar 16, 2010
Washington DC
I'd be cautious about installing the OEM 4.4.2 . With a locked bootloader, you may find that you cannot revert and trying to run any non-stock such as AOSP ROM may not work well, especially when they got to 4.4.3 or 4.5 android.

I haven't tried this so, I am just cautioning you based on experience with S3 and S4 locked bootloader. Just remember that once you have a locked bootloader on a Samsung, its forever in most cases. There will be no unlock coming later.

For those of you that have already loaded this update, if you have tried reverting or running AOSP, please check all the hardware functions, especially cameras, wifi, bluetooth etc. and lets us know if they work correctly.

HavokbyName

Jun 18, 2014
I'd be cautious about installing the OEM 4.4.2 . With a locked bootloader, you may find that you cannot revert and trying to run any non-stock such as AOSP ROM may not work well, especially when they got to 4.4.3 or 4.5 android.

I haven't tried this so, I am just cautioning you based on experience with S3 and S4 locked bootloader. Just remember that once you have a locked bootloader on a Samsung, its forever in most cases. There will be no unlock coming later.

For those of you that have already loaded this update, if you have tried reverting or running AOSP, please check all the hardware functions, especially cameras, wifi, bluetooth etc. and lets us know if they work correctly.

From what I can tell all or main functions seem to be working as before on custom roms; wifi, bluetooth, camera (same small video issues as before) & sound

with this new bootloader, installing custom roms, recoveries & kernels is still possible as before, only you can't downgrade to 4.2 with odin unless you remove older bootloader files from tar beforehand, restoring 4.2 system & boot images from twrp/cwm backup is fine although issue below persists unless on stock 4.4

downside is offline charging now doesn't work correctly on anything except stock 4.4 screen stays powered on with battery icon sitting static forever

Last edited:

smanq

Feb 27, 2013
Just for information, after variuos flashes (root, custom recovery, stock based ROM), I've flashed stock 4.4.2 (Odin): the current binary and status returned Official!

Gilly10

Sep 22, 2012
Just for information, after variuos flashes (root, custom recovery, stock based ROM), I've flashed stock 4.4.2 (Odin): the current binary and status returned Official!

Yeah there doesn't seem to be a KNOX aware bootloader in this firmware version. If you have flashed it, your pretty much safe warranty wise just as before as the binary can be reset.

NOTE: I'd still be very wary of flashing any future 4.4.2 firmwares though, it might come later in other regions or updates & bring a more locked down bootloader & with a warranty voiding KNOX flag, not saying that will happen but it's a possibility.

As it stands the only thing you can't do is downgrade the new bootloader, but installing custom ROMs, Recoveries & Kernels all still seem possible for now, there's the offline charging bug as reported if you use the older 4.2.2 or custom ROMs such as CM11.0 that use non stock Kernels, many others have experienced this issue with newer bootloaders in combination with older ROMs, same on Note 8.0 for some users.

Not sure if it can ever be fixed.

dparrothead1

Mar 13, 2011
Florida
Towelroot v1 & v2 doesn't work on Tab 3 8.0, there seems to be an issue with it not working on Exynos based devices, not sure on Kingo.

I believe it's more of an issue with 4.4. Towelroot nor Kingo works on the Mega 6.3 anymore once it has been upgraded to 4.4.

Sent from my SM-T310 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Iceberg86300

Jul 4, 2014
root newb (very computer and embedded sys savvy though) just need some quick guidence

I've got a bone stock t310, just need a bit of guidance. I just got the kitkat update pushed to me last night but don't want update yet.

I know my way around computers and embedded systems (mechatronics engineer) but I've never flashed a phone or tablet, just micro's.

I see in this thread that the bootloader isn't completely shutdown in the update, and rooting is possible while also keeping the flags set that will allow warranty work if you restore backup or what not.

Question is, where do I start? I see most people have updated to 4.4.2 using ODIN. Is this required to get backups? Should I root before updating and then load the 4.4.2 through ODIN (I guess this keeps the old bootloader?) or can I just update to 4.4.2 and then get root after that?

Just a bit confused on the steps to go through. Probably won't mess with custom ROM's (but it's possible) but I would like to finally have root access while still being able to get warranty service if needed. (parents bought the COSTCO extended warranty so I don't want to kill that possibility)

Like I said, I'm very good with computers, have put together and programmed many micro's, but they have all been flashed with my own code and a BDM pod so there was never any chance of me killing anything.

Just looking for some quick guidance if anyone can help. Been browsing the forums, and know how to search so I don't need super step by step instructions (unless some info just can't be found here). Still reading the original root thread, but doesn't look like it's headed towards 4.4.2 stuff.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Steve

Lakland

Jan 18, 2012
Puerto Rico
What stop working: netflix app on screen control do not work.
Wifi icon appear and desapair, but it is connected. God why I did this upgrade to 4.4.2...damn

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

Smokey Mc Pot

Mar 23, 2013
What stop working: netflix app on screen control do not work.
Wifi icon appear and desapair, but it is connected. God why I did this upgrade to 4.4.2...damn

That is interesting...
Someone else posted in another forum, the exact same problem with the Wi-Fi icon...
Have you done a factory reset yet ???

ps:
To do a factory reset on your device:

Open "Settings" and select "Backup and restore" than backup your device and finally select "Factory Reset".

After that Samsung will let you restore again.

Hopefully that will fix that issue.

Good luck

---------- Post added at 05:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:20 PM ----------

I see in this thread that the bootloader isn't completely shutdown in the update, and rooting is possible while also keeping the flags set that will allow warranty work if you restore backup or what not.

Question is, where do I start? I see most people have updated to 4.4.2 using ODIN. Is this required to get backups? Should I root before updating and then load the 4.4.2 through ODIN (I guess this keeps the old bootloader?) or can I just update to 4.4.2 and then get root after that?

Just a bit confused on the steps to go through. Probably won't mess with custom ROM's (but it's possible) but I would like to finally have root access while still being able to get warranty service if needed. (parents bought the COSTCO extended warranty so I don't want to kill that possibility)

- Once you root your device, you can say goodbye to your guarantee... well, unless you can find a way to work around that!

My advice to you is to accept the Update first and root the device after.

And also Download a copy of your local new firmware + Odin from Sammobile and keep it saved in your pc, as a backup in case something goes wrong later.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: Iceberg86300

sylvestor2013

Dec 15, 2012
<Solved>

I'll try to recap for clarifying:
1. We can flash the stock 4.4.2 ROM through Odin
2. Now we can flash a custom recovery (TWRP_T31x_r3.tar)
3. We can finally flash cf-auto-root.
With this 3 steps we will have a TAB3 8.0 with stock 4.4.2, rooted, with custom recovery and official knox status, right?

I followed the above, steps 1 & 2.

I booted into KitKat 4.2.2 without any problems. I noticed that all my old apps and data were still on the tablet. I figured, I would like to start fresh by having a clean version of KitKat backed up using twrp. So I booted into twrp and did the following:

1. wipe, advanced wipe. I choose Dalvik Cache, Cache, System, Data & Data and then did the wipe.
2. then I opened "Format Data" and type "yes" to confirm I wanted to proceed.

When I tried to reboot from twrp, it gave me a message saying something like "operating system" missing. But I proceeded anyway. Now the tablet keeps rebooting (the Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 screen comes on, then the Samsung logo with the big blue circle comes on, then the device reboots.)

I've tried several times to reload kitkat using Odin, but my tablet keeps rebooting after the Odin process completes.

Please advise how I can fix this.

thanks.

Edit: ok, I should have read from the first post more closely. All that was required was a hard reset. (Boot using volume up+power. Then navigate to wipe/format data. Then reboot. Wait about 5 minutes for it to boot up.)

Last edited:

sylvestor2013

Dec 15, 2012
After flashing cf-auto-root, I do have root access. I then flashed twrp, so I could do a backup of my kitkat system. Upon finishing the backup and exiting twrp, it gave me an option to root my device. I chose not to run that option. When I restarted my tablet, I installed root checker and noticed that my device is still rooted.

I'd prefer to leave twrp recovery installed, so I can restore my tablet at any time. If I don't leave cf-auto-root recovery on the tablet, do I loose any functionality or will it cause me any future problems ?

Lakland

Jan 18, 2012
Puerto Rico
That is interesting...
Someone else posted in another forum, the exact same problem with the Wi-Fi icon...
Have you done a factory reset yet ???

ps:
To do a factory reset on your device:

Open "Settings" and select "Backup and restore" than backup your device and finally select "Factory Reset".

After that Samsung will let you restore again.

Hopefully that will fix that issue.

Good luck

---------- Post added at 05:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:20 PM ----------

- Once you root your device, you can say goodbye to your guarantee... well, unless you can find a way to work around that!

And also Download a copy of your local new firmware + Odin from Sammobile and keep it saved in your pc, as a backup in case something goes wrong later.

Good luck!

Yes I did factory reset, same issue

---------- Post added at 01:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:26 AM ----------

vu7yvy2a.jpg
no wifi icon

Iceberg86300

Jul 4, 2014
can revert back to stock after root? let it auto update to xar region 4.4.2 last nigh

Good luck!

Thanks, did some reading and found that odin was just a flashing tool making manual flashes possible.

I just went ahead and let the tab update. It is the XAR version (cellular south? Don't know how they came up with that) kernel is 3.0.31-1897308, UEUNCNF4, built June 17. Using device info the bootloader shows T310UEUNCNF4. Change list is different from any of the XX firmwares. Any info needed on this build just let me know.

Everything seems to be working, but honestly I was hoping for a bit more. Root is on the horizon.

From what I've been reading there is no flag or counter, but that's on the earlier french release.

As of now it's my understanding that if I flash TWRP and make a backup prior to rooting then I can flash that backup of I ever need warranty service.

Is this correct? Or am I missing something? I've read I can unroot. But will flashing a non rooted backup up img and performing a hard reset take it back to stock or will a flag still be set?

Regards,

Steve

sylvestor2013

Dec 15, 2012
After upgrading to Kit Kat now my tablet does not work with Miracast anymore. It worked fine yesterday, when I had JellyBean running.

When I launch the screen mirroring app on my tablet, it scans and finds my miracast dongle. I can see it acquiring an IP address and it shows it as connected, but after 1 second I get a message saying something like "Unable to start Screen Mirroring because of a hardware issue"

I've tried rebooting all my devices but no luck. It seems as it's a known issue ( http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2542509&nocache=1 ?

Anyone tried screen mirroring with KitKat ?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    http://www.android.gs/galaxy-tab-3-8-0-wi-fi-android-4-4-2-ota-update-available-for-installation/
    f8iQiPthKphedyuS-OwQ8GDLluuNjKY0GnsLZrpcIT-o=w541-h865-no
    Screenshot_2014-06-20-03-56-40.png
    Screenshot_2014-06-20-03-57-29.png

Warning!!!
    Locked boot-loader, once you flash this update you cant downgrade (at Present)

Rom has no knox counter ( warranty Bit) or binary counter.
    Rom used to downgrades was T310XXUAMF1_T310OXXAMF1_HOME.tar

Another safe way of trying this rom without fear, is flashing it with mobile odin,mobile odin does not flash boot-loaders so you are safe to downgrade etc.
    you may find that you WiFi does not work when rom flashed with mobile odin, that means that the older boot loader is not compatible with the new rom.

Update 1

Once You flash the rom the device will reboot several times, because my previous rom was customized i had to perform a hard reset.

this rom has some kind of KNOX according to superuser

The rom also adds a new entry to download mode AP SWREV: A1

How to root?

download Cf-auto-root from here and flash it via odin then go to google play and install superuser from chainfire, launch it and update normally.

UPDATE 2...
    Rom has a watered down version of knox but no common KNOX entrie in download mode.

Q:Can i install a custom recovery is this rom?
    A: YES.
    Warning!!!
    Locked boot-loader, once you flash this update you cant downgrade (at Present)

Rom has no knox counter ( warranty Bit) or binary counter.
    Rom used to downgrades was T310XXUAMF1_T310OXXAMF1_HOME.tar

Another safe way of trying this rom without fear, is flashing it with mobile odin,mobile odin does not flash boot-loaders so you are safe to downgrade etc.
    you may find that you WiFi does not work when rom flashed with mobile odin, that means that the older boot loader is not compatible with the new rom.

Q:Can i install a custom recovery is this rom?
    A: YES.
    I am not much into rooting so i needed a bit of help.
    I was able to flash the kitkat rom manually.
    now i want to root, so i wanted to ask you which version of odin should i use to flash cf auto root file and which all boxes should be ticked in odin.

if u could please give me a link of the correct odin version, that would be a great help. And also tell which boxes to tick in odin.

Thanks a lot :)

Use the same version you used for kitkat. The first box should be blue and auto reboot unchecked. Everything else is the same. click on ap and choose the cf auto file (post #1). Then click start. It will about 10 seconds and say reset. The keep it still pluged in and hold the power button to shutdown. It won't shutdown but actually reboot. The Samsung tab 3 sign will show, then the scary cf auto root red bot page and then continues with normal startup except it will say android updating. Grab a cup of coffee and give around 15 to 30 mins. When it's done, unlock your phone and go to super su. It will say knox detected, do you want to remove,Select yes. Then let it's binaries update. After that you ready to roll. Cheers☺☺☺

Don't forget to smash my thanks button!☺?

Sent from my expensive toaster.
    Yea! We need the jb video player! ☺☺☺
    Can anyone get it for us?
    I tried every player but the jb video player stands out of them all.
    Faria? Anyone? Unfortunately I'm not a developer.?
    And if someone can get it for us then everyone gains benefit from it.
    Please help us in this regard. ☺

I've managed to get hold of the Video Player from JellyBean if anyone wants to have a go at trying to install it in KitKat.
    Please let us know how it goes, and how you managed to achieve it.
    here, running latest cm build to date:

Well its official, custom kernels are supported!:laugh:
    the only thing we cant change is the bootloader, but at this stage who cares!

Many thanks.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone