Tab S2 8.0 keeps rebooting.

Search This thread

NJ_RAMS_FAN

Sep 28, 2011
North Bergen, NJ
Hi all. I bought a tab s2 for my step-dad this past Christmas and it keep rebooting once reach like 15-20% battery. One point, it got stuck on Samsung logo. I had to hard reset. I ended up exchanging that tablet with Amazon. Now the exchange tablet is doing the exact same thing. What are the odds of this happening again? Do these suffer from random reboots? I don't want to exchange again and it happens for a third time.

The tablet went to 0% charge. And it didn't turn on since then. It's currently on Samsung logo. I have older samsung tablets. And this never happens.

Last edited:

Masteryates

Apr 30, 2013
London
Hi all. I bought a tab s2 for my step-dad this past Christmas and it keep rebooting once reach like 15-20% battery. One point, it got stuck on Samsung logo. I had to hard reset. I ended up exchanging that tablet with Amazon. Now the exchange tablet is doing the exact same thing. What are the odds of this happening again? Do these suffer from random reboots? I don't want to exchange again and it happens for a third time.

The tablet went to 0% charge. And it didn't turn on since then. It's currently on Samsung logo. I have older samsung tablets. And this never happens.

I've been using my SM-T715 for the last 1.5 years and can't remember a single reboot irrespective of battery level. :cool:

For others to help, consider sharing your model number and firmware being used. :angel:

NJ_RAMS_FAN

Sep 28, 2011
North Bergen, NJ
So I sent the tablet in for repair.. they swapped the motherboard.. two days later.. it does the same thing.. so bizarre.. once it reaches zero.. turns off it wont turn back on.. stays on samsung logo screen...

NJ_RAMS_FAN

Sep 28, 2011
North Bergen, NJ
Wth is going on with this tablet. I finally got it replaced by Samsung. New one is doing the exact same thing. Tablet is been used lightly. The tablet died to 0%. Now it doesn't want to turn on again. Crap is annoying.

mkdr

Oct 15, 2010
I have the same issue with S2 9.7". It randomly reboots with more chance the lower the battery is. Mostly zero chance above 50% then with around under 30% it happens way more often, especially when you install/update apps. So I guess the entire Tab S2 line has a battery issue, maybe a too low voltage over time, resulting in CPU/flash memory becoming instable of too low voltage. Mine was actually just 2 weeks old after showing the issue. Instead of swapping the battery, the repair service mostly will just swap the motherboard, which will not solve this issue.

geeman926

Jun 29, 2020
Hey everyone. Just wanted to tell you i got the exact same problem in my T713. It's most certainly a spike on battery usage and the inability of the battery to keep up due to degradation, as this problem presents when I'm trying to do intensive tasks like watching videos on youtube or entering many apps in a short timespan.

My personal fix was to underclock the CPU maximum frequency using smartpack from 1804Mhz down to 1612Mhz. Obviously you need to root your device for this fix. Once i did this the rate of random reboots diminished substantially while minimally impacting performance. I know its not a perfect solution, but if you use your tablets just lightly, this might certainly work. Changing the CPU governor to some conservative mode might also do.

Hope this helps everyone.

fmc000

Jan 18, 2008
Hey everyone. Just wanted to tell you i got the exact same problem in my T713. It's most certainly a spike on battery usage and the inability of the battery to keep up due to degradation, as this problem presents when I'm trying to do intensive tasks like watching videos on youtube or entering many apps in a short timespan.

My personal fix was to underclock the CPU maximum frequency using smartpack from 1804Mhz down to 1612Mhz. Obviously you need to root your device for this fix. Once i did this the rate of random reboots diminished substantially while minimally impacting performance. I know its not a perfect solution, but if you use your tablets just lightly, this might certainly work. Changing the CPU governor to some conservative mode might also do.

Seems to work for me too on my T719. For the first time in ages I was able to use my tablet until it shut down itself because the battery was too low, usually it started rebooting at 35-40% of battery.

Thank you.

toasterboy1

Sep 18, 2013
Google Pixel
Google Pixel 3
Hi,

I'd like to try the underclocking on my T813, could you please explain a bit more what you've done?

Thanks!

I just installed SmartPack-Kernel Manager (ROOT) from the playstore. Open the app and click the hamburger on the top left. Go to CPU and change the Maximum Frequency. Swipe over the Apply on boot.

I turned mine down to 1382 and I can make it to about 25% before it starts to reboot. We will see if that is good enough for the kids.

SvenHee

Sep 11, 2014
Ede
Thanks for sharing, will try this too!

I have had the tab sent back under waranty but the problem returned.
At first manifesting itself using a boating navigation (navionics) but this morning opening the play store also rebooted.

After recharging when making a backup AND trying above solution at 40% battery I could at least start navionics, which was hard before.

Edit:
Rebooted below 23%, changed cpu settings but forgot to reboot to apply.
Now at 11% and navigation still working.

Edit2:
For the first time in I think over a year I have been able to use the tablet for hours on end!

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.