TAB S2- Exynos (2015.) vs Snapdragon (2016.)- is there any sense to buy new one?

Search This thread

Fluffbutt

May 4, 2011
Morpeth
Sweet - mine arrived today 1pm... been charging it and playing a bit with it.

That screen is gorgeous... but I;d like to find the arsepipe who decided to use non-standard microsd port.. I mean, a bloody TRAY carrier you have to pop out with a special pin tool? Fart about slotting the microsd into it then push it back into the tablet body?? Bloody GRRRRRRR.

What moron thought that would be a good idea? WTF was wrong with the "push to click" insert and "push to unlock" removal?
And I bet it's not just a standard needle size, if you lose it you'd likely hunt for ages to get the right size pin...

scanno

Mar 27, 2008
Arnhem
Redmi K20 Pro
Xiaomi Poco F3
Sweet - mine arrived today 1pm... been charging it and playing a bit with it.

That screen is gorgeous... but I;d like to find the arsepipe who decided to use non-standard microsd port.. I mean, a bloody TRAY carrier you have to pop out with a special pin tool? Fart about slotting the microsd into it then push it back into the tablet body?? Bloody GRRRRRRR.

What moron thought that would be a good idea? WTF was wrong with the "push to click" insert and "push to unlock" removal?
And I bet it's not just a standard needle size, if you lose it you'd likely hunt for ages to get the right size pin...
It is a standard needle. Could not find it and used the Sim needle from my phone.

Fluffbutt

May 4, 2011
Morpeth
It is a standard needle. Could not find it and used the Sim needle from my phone.

Thanks for that (my phone doesn't need a needle, the sim just "sits" there under the battery (remember the old Nokia 3310?))

I still have mine (brand new tab today), I might make a little tether and attach it to the case, when it arrives.

You gotta admit - push click and push unclick is a LOT simpler than a tray-carrier thing! -- What happens if you lose it or it breaks (or eaten by the dog)... I wonder if you can still push-slot-in the MSD card? (like the readers, no spring click but just push into firm grip).

Last edited:

wilson_smyth

Jan 5, 2017
Is it worth picking up the 2015 version of the S2 (8 inch) if its at a good price?
I was holding out until CES 2017 to see if the S3 was comming soon, but Samsung had the stage yesterday morning and didnt mention tablets at all, just talked about tv's, fridges, washing machines and chromebooks.

Masteryates

Apr 30, 2013
London
Is it worth picking up the 2015 version of the S2 (8 inch) if its at a good price?
I was holding out until CES 2017 to see if the S3 was comming soon, but Samsung had the stage yesterday morning and didnt mention tablets at all, just talked about tv's, fridges, washing machines and chromebooks.

If the price is right, of course its worth picking up the 2015 version. I've been using this version for 6 months now and there is nothing wrong with it at all.

Ather

Retired Senior Moderator
May 26, 2007
Get the nook version, lots of cheap prices on eBay, then you can flash any stock Rom on it and get rid of all the bloat that's what I did...its a regular T710 (8") with nook apps

JayRayMee.NL

Dec 17, 2005
www.rcblog.nl
My 2015 Exynos Tab S2 9.7" has trouble playing 100 Mbps H.264 UHD video at 60 fps.
Using MX Player Pro with the HW+ decoder for that.

100 Mbps UHD @ 30 fps is no problem, but seemingly also the max, as 60 fps at HW+ does open, but plays back in "extreme slow motion".
Newer hardware such as the Galaxy S7 and S8 plays the same video's without problems.

So to get this playing on a tablet, I figured the Snapdragon 820 equipped Galaxy Tab S3 would do the job, but the 4G version S3 is expensive!
So that leaves me wondering: seeing the CPU/GPU benchmark increase in the S2 2015/S2 2016 comparison earlier in this thread: will a 2016 Tab S2 be capable of playing back my 60 fps UHD video files fluently in MX Player Pro?

Example of a 60 fps UHD video: http://distribution.bbb3d.renderfarming.net/video/mp4/bbb_sunflower_2160p_60fps_stereo_abl.mp4

Limeybastard

• Oct 3, 2013
    Florida unfortunately.
    Downloaded it , now what?

Sent from my SM-T819Y using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 12:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:40 AM ----------

I installed MX player non pro version. Seems ok

---------- Post added at 12:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:46 AM ----------

Also plays two split screen mirror image

JayRayMee.NL

Dec 17, 2005
    www.rcblog.nl
    Downloaded it , now what?

---------- Post added at 12:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:40 AM ----------

I installed MX player non pro version. Seems ok

---------- Post added at 12:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:46 AM ----------

Also plays two split screen mirror image

Ok, so the 4K 60fps video plays smoothly and at normal speed without any lag/stutter? Is the audio 100% in-sync with the video?
    And you have the Tab S2 2016 Snapdragon unit?

Last edited:

Limeybastard

• Oct 3, 2013
    Florida unfortunately.
    Id like to be able to give you an accurate reply. I downloaded the file and also a program called mx player. The free version.
    After the file had been downloaded i launched mx player and it found the file in question. It played it but it showed split screen top half and bottom half of video being played was mirror image of each other. Not sure if that was normal or not? Everything seemed slow motion but not stuttered snd seemed smooth. Mine is a sm-t819y same cpu spec etc as sm-t813 2016 tab s2.

JayRayMee.NL

Dec 17, 2005
    www.rcblog.nl
    Id like to be able to give you an accurate reply. I downloaded the file and also a program called mx player. The free version.
    After the file had been downloaded i launched mx player and it found the file in question. It played it but it showed split screen top half and bottom half of video being played was mirror image of each other. Not sure if that was normal or not? Everything seemed slow motion but not stuttered snd seemed smooth. Mine is a sm-t819y same cpu spec etc as sm-t813 2016 tab s2.

Hi there,
    Seems I used the wrong link for the stereoscopic 3D version.
    Please use this link instead to try: http://distribution.bbb3d.renderfarming.net/video/mp4/bbb_sunflower_2160p_60fps_normal.mp4

Make sure the MX Player is using the HW+ decoder (it should show "HW+" in the top right when the video controls are on screen).
    If the playback seems smooth but slow motion (obviously not true 60 fps), and the audio is not completely in sync, then the Snapdragon 2016 version of the Tab S2 also can't cope with 4K/UHD @ 60 fps...

Limeybastard

• Oct 3, 2013
    Florida unfortunately.
    Hi there,
    Seems I used the wrong link for the stereoscopic 3D version.
    Please use this link instead to try: http://distribution.bbb3d.renderfarming.net/video/mp4/bbb_sunflower_2160p_60fps_normal.mp4

Make sure the MX Player is using the HW+ decoder (it should show "HW+" in the top right when the video controls are on screen).
    If the playback seems smooth but slow motion (obviously not true 60 fps), and the audio is not completely in sync, then the Snapdragon 2016 version of the Tab S2 also can't cope with 4K/UHD @ 60 fps...
    Plays alright not slow motion but also not 100% like youtube video i watched, but sound kicks out intermittently. So I'd say the 2016 version cannot fully work either.

mrkapqa

May 26, 2015
    Hello Guys,
    i got today a SM-T719N which i find very nice (swapped it in for a Apple Mini 2) but unfortunately the Bluetooth Tethering from my MacPro (Bluetooth 4.0) to the Tablet is very unstable eg. not working properly. I am thinking it might be because of the update in the Software (it run Marshmallow , have already updated to Nougat),
    so now i am pondering whether to sell it and try to find the 2015 model with the Exynos CPU, although according to this site here

http://www.devicespecifications.com/de/comparison/d3aa79856

the newer Tab S2 has more Bluetooth Capabilities; i am hoping that the Bluetooth Tethering is still active on the Lollipop,
    but it could also be a problem with my MacPro because originally it came with Bleutooth 2.1 and i have updated it with a Kit to Bluetooth 4.0

Do you recoomend me going back to the earlier model T715N ? Overall, besides the Bluetooth issue, after a first quick test, i find the Tablet very nice and responsive, maybe a bit short on battery, but thats not biggest issue.

Please help.

Thanks

---------- Post added at 05:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:06 PM ----------

according to this site here there should not be a big drawback in terms of power when using the previous model

http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench3/compare/5229624?baseline=5231112

---------- Post added at 05:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:16 PM ----------

[emoji4]

Gesendet von meinem SM-T719 mit Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 05:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:35 PM ----------

You

mrkapqa

May 26, 2015
    Benchmarks SM t719 Samsung Galaxy S2 8.0 (2016) Screenshot_20170705-173035.png
    246d0e9a0b5f4e69dfa646147dac6ef2.jpg

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
      One thing I definately noticed by comparing several T815 vs T819 was that the "old" one's display is way better in homogeneity. It's like with many other Samsung devices, the 1st model has highly selected displays. The ones following after ~a year then get the displays that weren't good enough for the launch. I.e. I had some S4, S5 smartphones that all showed this difference. All the same with S4 9505 vs 9515 ("Value" Edition).

Performance is all the same - no noticeable difference at all..Same with battery cycles for me.
      Both devices running 6.0.1. I was pleasantly surprised that the Snapdragon beat the Exynos in 3D. My understanding was that it was slower.

T810 Antutu:
      Main = 69120
      3D = 15734
      UX = 24903
      CPU = 23043
      RAM = 5440

T813 Antutu:
      Main = 79350
      3D = 17795
      UX = 28664
      CPU = 25174
      RAM = 7717
      I have the 713 for about a day and no issues with performance. Everything is smooth. Antutu scored about 78000 and geekbench was like 1400 single and 4800 multi.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk
      I disagree. For tablets, 4:3 ratio is the sweet spot. Just my opinion though.

I agree. Before the Tab S2, I had a Tab S 10.5 (16:10 ratio). The 16:10 ratio was better for movies, but in my opinion, the 4:3 is much better for everything else. I don't watch movies enough on the tablet to put up with the 16:10 ratio, but to each his own.
      Another difference is the new S2 is actually a true 64bit device running 64bit software.
    Our Apps
    Get our official app!
    The best way to access XDA on your phone
    Nav Gestures
    Add swipe gestures to any Android
    One Handed Mode
    Eases uses one hand with your phone