tab s3 android pie (9.0) general discussion

Search This thread

djoxie

Hi,i mean i OTA updated yesterday,i just dnt know where to look for the id you mentioned

p.s oh,just checked under my build version : T825XXU3CSH9

so is it possible to downgrade from this build or ?

I went back to Oreo, as multi-window functions are stripped down in new version, all the functionality is gone, and I always used it in portrait mode with 2 apps running, eg mx player and chrome. Not being able to switch apps, or start the function by long pressing multitasking button made me crazy.
Going back to Oreo went smooth as the bootloader is the same.

lorezz

Jan 5, 2010
I went back to Oreo, as multi-window functions are stripped down in new version, all the functionality is gone, and I always used it in portrait mode with 2 apps running, eg mx player and chrome. Not being able to switch apps, or start the function by long pressing multitasking button made me crazy.
Going back to Oreo went smooth as the bootloader is the same.

Same things are concerning for me,too many functions less intuitive or handy and for this small test period a really galloping battery drain

Reactions: djoxie

elcidroyale

Dec 5, 2011
The lag seems to be gone. I cleared cache, hard reset and restored apps via Samsung's restore option. I actually did this twice and lag seems to be gone but hard to tell because I just got the tablet and had no real use before I updated to Pie.

Also can't tell if battery drain is normal as nothing to compare to.

onolox

Jan 30, 2013
RS
It's very clear that Samsung just did this update because they are obliged.
They just don't care, I never have seen such a poor ROM from any vendor.

Samsung: "just thrown that **** to them and don't bother me".

lorezz

Jan 5, 2010
From what ive read,this is not limited to tab s3,pie its a poor os iteration in general,especially under battery optimization and simplifyng functions.

Probably a step back from Oreo plain and simple.

ejpickel

Sep 23, 2019
I just received the OTA for my SM-T825, and now it is bricked. It was working fine with solid battery life. After the update finalized, the screen went black and it would briefly vibrate about every 5- 10 seconds. I was able to do a hard reset to bring up the recovery screen once. I selected reboot. Now nothing works. Even while charging with it off, I get no screen indication.

Nick1Man

Jul 26, 2019
After updating to Pie
I feel the fast charging is slower (than Oreo)
and the tablet doesn't get hot as much as before (while charging).
Is it the same for you?

Last edited:

crash_194

Mar 27, 2008
I noticed lag after updating to pie but clearing the cache through stock recovery helped my tablets performance alot. Also, I have found the overall user experience and performance better when using the samsung browser and samsung email app as opposed to chrome and gmail. I've have disabled chrome and gmail.

Reactions: elcidroyale

Nick1Man

Jul 26, 2019
After updating, unlocking with fingerprint is slower and less accurate!
Does anyone else have such an experience?

ROSALIA

Dec 4, 2010
Excuse my english

For what is being said in this thread it seems that for now it is not convenient to go to Android 9 with the tab S3 and that it gives better performance and better battery with Android 8.1. Summing up my doubts 1) Does the battery with android 9 improve or get worse? 2) And the fluency? 3) What known and verified problems are there with android 9? 4) In case I upgrade to android 9 I would do it this way a) Hard reset with wipe data and wipe cache b) I install the update by ota that I already have available (Spain) c) can I restore the back up I had with android 8.1 from the table or better reinstall everything from scratch? Thank you

Enviado desde mi LG-H990 mediante Tapatalk

elcidroyale

Dec 5, 2011
I noticed lag after updating to pie but clearing the cache through stock recovery helped my tablets performance alot. Also, I have found the overall user experience and performance better when using the samsung browser and samsung email app as opposed to chrome and gmail. I've have disabled chrome and gmail.
After reading your post, I cleared my cache and have indeed noticed a snappier tablet in general. Seems "normal" now. Thank you!

Reactions: crash_194

stonecool

Apr 13, 2010
Have you tried downloading Good Lock from galaxy store , once downloaded open it and install Multistar from within Good Lock app to have the multi window activated .I do relay on it a lot but glad still there.
Hope this helps.
@djoxie

Last edited:

foshka

Sep 14, 2019
Have you tried downloading Good Lock from galaxy store , once downloaded open it and install Multistar from within Good Lock app to have the multi window activated .I do relay on it a lot but glad still there.
Hope this helps.
@djoxie

With this, I am just one function away from updating again (I reversed it previously), the fingertouch app does not function in Pie. I really want my home button to be touch, I hate digging my thumb into the button every time I want to go to home.

Antonielli

May 2, 2012
Lusaka
System UI isn't responding...

My experience with 9 is very poor, the tablet is sluggish, it stutters, is not well rounded user experience, it's like a beta version.
Like, the config, the top half of the screen is blank when you open it.

I've made a clean install.

I have the same experience more or less, the performance is sluggish especially when unlocking the device. It normally hangs and after about 5mins I get "System UI isn't responding-Close or Wait option" this happens so many times. :( . Does anyone else have this issue?

I did notice that reserved memory has dropped to about 377MB from about 600MB, could that be the cause? Oreo was definitely a better experience but I don't want to downgrade, any ideas/suggestions??

Love the tablet but not sure what to do anymore to make it run smoothly again.

onolox

Jan 30, 2013
RS
I'm using oreo.
After an acess of fury, I disabled via Titanium Backup 80~90% of the bloatware. THEN the system worked well.
But the ROM Pie tweaked from xda worked well after disabling the bloatware too. But I'm sticking with oreo.

Pippa Dhiety

Apr 15, 2018
Rooting Tab S3 that has Pie installed

So if I have upgraded my Tab to Pie can I still root it using the same method as Oreo? or is it even possible now? can I roll back to Oreo somehow if necessary?....

Why cant these devices just come with a switch that grants me access to root? I did pay for it.. I should be able to mess it up anytime I want... cant think of any Pc's going up in smoke from software issues, then again they did have Bill Gates ? ?

Any insight or point me in the right direction I would really appreciate... ❤
tnx

So if I have upgraded my Tab to Pie can I still root it using the same method as Oreo? or is it even possible now? can I roll back to Oreo somehow if necessary?....

Why cant these devices just come with a switch that grants me access to root? I did pay for it.. I should be able to mess it up anytime I want... cant think of any Pc's going up in smoke from software issues, then again they did have Bill Gates ? ?

Any insight or point me in the right direction I would really appreciate... ❤
tnx

Here you'll find your answer:

https://xdaforums.com/galaxy-tab-s3/development/recovery-twrp-3-1-0-1-samsung-galaxy-t3581359

Follow the steps for "Oreo only"

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I got the update few hours earlier. I'm also trying to figure out what's new except one ui. So far I found that multitasking/split screen changes. Also ui seems faster. I've attached some ss. Sorry i couldnt be much help.
    With android pie set to be coming this month I thought I'd make a thread to discuss new features and any issue with the new update also to let people know when the update starts to roll out etc.

I have had my tab s3 since 2 months after it came out and am looking forward to the last os upgrade this tablet is set to get :)
    while August is current roadmap, i might be wrong , but i recall seeing July as release month in older Samsung roadmaps.

Being Tab S3 a former flagship tablet, i am quite unhappy with the delay. Its Samsung call, but i believe they have already updated to Pie many cheaper devices from same vintage.

the true reason of my post is just to vent my frustration, as i am also checking for the update every other day!

Enviado desde mi SM-N950F mediante Tapatalk
    There you go.
    yeah, thanks ,i was aware of current roadmap

my point is twofold:
    - i would bet than on older version of roadmap update was bound for July release! i didnt keep a copy of old roadmap so i just rely on my memory. i understand that the roadmaps are dynamic and not carved in stone

- Device Pie certification made me expect an earlier release.

unmet expectations=frustrations.

not a big one in my list of priorities though.

Enviado desde mi SM-N950F mediante Tapatalk
    Pie update rolling out on T825Y

Pie update is rolling out now on T825Y. Check sammobile.