Tab S4 - Do we have to actually PAY for MS Office ?

Search This thread

icstm

Jan 12, 2013
MS Office is now free on android right?

Well maybe not.
Even though MS office is clearly shown as a key app in both the Samsung video and the UK press release:
https://news.samsung.com/uk/the-new...helps-you-get-more-done-from-wherever-you-are

On the product page they write:
Microsoft Office requires users to purchase licenses
https://www.samsung.com/global/galaxy/galaxy-tab-s4/

And on the Google Play site, MS write:
To create or edit documents, sign in with a free Microsoft account on devices with a screen size of 10.1 inches or smaller

I cannot see a size reference on Microsoft's own websites.

So my question is simple.
Will we have to pay to use MS Office, Word, Powerpoint, Excel, etc

Reactions: elanie

icstm

Jan 12, 2013
If anyone here reviews the device in the the next couple of days we would all apprichiate insight into this.
Basically make sure a 365 account is not logged in and then see if you can create a new document.

Deathman20

Sep 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Yeah I was going to get it today but I'm torn. Was going to just get the 256GB model but it won't be in stores till next week. Now second guessing myself and maybe I'll just stick with the 64GB one and use the MicroSD card slot for extra storage as needed.

Deathman20

Sep 10, 2010
Wisconsin
So looks like yes you do need a license for it now, just the one playing with in the store looks that way. Hancom Office is on it though by default.

AM Radio

Jul 20, 2011
NR13-ROMEO-03
the fine print, from the Samsung site — looks like the answer is YES:

*HDMI adapter, keyboard, and monitor sold separately. Microsoft Office requires users to purchase licenses. Samsung DeX supports multi-resolution (HD+/FHD) video outputs. HDMI adapter required to connect to external display using Samsung DeX. Some apps in tablet mode may differ when in Samsung DeX mode. Recommend accessories for Galaxy Tab S4: Multi Port Adapter (EE-P5000B), HDMI Adapter (EE-HG950), DeX Cable (EE-I3100). Exact model number may vary by country.

Chyeo1979

Apr 12, 2014
I read around MS Office site, it seems you need subscription only for some extra functions, generally usage and editing should still be workable. Not sure if correct

Deathman20

Sep 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Actually they can only be used for Read Only.
Doesn't seem to be fully installed which is a good thing, more of a launcher so it should be easily gotten rid of.

cliemonster

Aug 16, 2007
Samsung Galaxy S20
I didn't pay enough attention to MS policies, since Word worked just fine on my Tab s3 with the free account I have. Got my Tab s4 yesterday, and it was a disappointment that it wouldn't allow editing now. But there's some good alternatives out there that are free, and maybe MS will change that policy (not likely)

M9x3mos

May 12, 2008
Around
Yeah if you read the listing in the play store, it is free on devices with 10.1 inch and smaller devices. So sadly since this is bigger, it would need to be paid for.

Haque

Dec 26, 2007
Dear, I also have the same problem, MS Office 365 is not working without subscription. In fact, once you start MS Word etc, it takes you to the subscription window (MS Office 365). Someone should give a clear way how we can delete this package and revert to the old MS Office or what other options are available and how can we get those and from where? I personally feel that Samsung should not pre-install MS Office with there devices. Thanks in advance

Last edited:

N1NJATH3ORY

Aug 16, 2010
You have to pay to use Microsoft Word, Excel, if the Tablet is 10.5 inch or above, this is one of the reason i rooted to remove the stupid pay restriction! Can't you try in dev options, if you can change the resolution maybe you could bypass it that way ?

aspexil

Jan 2, 2011
Indianapolis
I never use Micro$oft software so I booted up my S4 and took a look. Yup, you need 365 subscription to use it. There are plenty of non M$ packages out there that are free. This is Android after all.

Reactions: drdoceo

N1NJATH3ORY

Aug 16, 2010
Guys & Gals eBay you can get a Microsoft office account for peanuts, even if the account last a year it still cost is less then a cup of coffee! Can't go wrong!!

Reactions: jordant2

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    MS Office is now free on android right?

Well maybe not.
    Even though MS office is clearly shown as a key app in both the Samsung video and the UK press release:
    https://news.samsung.com/uk/the-new...helps-you-get-more-done-from-wherever-you-are

On the product page they write:
    Microsoft Office requires users to purchase licenses
    https://www.samsung.com/global/galaxy/galaxy-tab-s4/

And on the Google Play site, MS write:
    To create or edit documents, sign in with a free Microsoft account on devices with a screen size of 10.1 inches or smaller

I cannot see a size reference on Microsoft's own websites.

So my question is simple.
    Will we have to pay to use MS Office, Word, Powerpoint, Excel, etc
    I never use Micro$oft software so I booted up my S4 and took a look. Yup, you need 365 subscription to use it. There are plenty of non M$ packages out there that are free. This is Android after all.
    Guys & Gals eBay you can get a Microsoft office account for peanuts, even if the account last a year it still cost is less then a cup of coffee! Can't go wrong!!