Take that multi-touch! Fix and lock in what works for YOU regardless of updates

Search This thread

gogol

May 20, 2005
^No idea why it formated your ****. Never had that happen. Edit: If you unlocked the bootloader thats why. Always make a nandroid and copy it and any files to your pc before doing anything.

To check go to /sys/devices/i2c-3/3-0010/vendor the last part is the firmware version. Stock is xa044. Ts11 for instance is xa061.

Works fine. Just tested. At least with twrp flashed. It boots to recovery then I hit reboot. Don't know about stock recovery.

Mine is ELAN_KTF3K_xa059

This is Android 6.0.1, not-rooted.

Is this still "ts"? I remember that I did ts10 really long time ago.

yosmokinman

Sep 30, 2012
^The ts firmwares lock-in unless you booted the ts unlock you still have it.. Updates don't overwrite it.

I'm guessing xa059 is ts10 not stock which is likely still 044 on 6.0.1 (044 is ****ing **** IMO, on my tablet). I'm to lazy to ts-unlock and check. I did it from 5 onward.. nothing changed. ts11 is my ****.

Last edited:

VicToR_AC

Apr 29, 2010
Santiago del Estero
I'm here to say thank you!

Just booted my Nexus 7 with ts10.img and it's working excellent.

I had a continuous line where my touches weren't recognised, all along from the bottom to the top of the screen, something like 2 out 3 mm from the right bezel. It has always been a pain in the ass trying to erase some words or pointing the 3 dots on the right top of the screen.

On the other hand, grounding was always a frustration, touchscreen was almost unusable.

Now all those problems are gone! I'm actually writing this swiping with one finger with the tablet lying on the bed.

- It's a 16GB WiFi version.

- Touchscreen firmware was xa044 (now shows xa059).

- Android 6.0.1 MMB29O (1st January 2016 patch).

- TWRP recovery and systemless rooted.

- ASUS original mate screen protector.

- ASUS original travel cover (blue).

Just followed instructions and after the "boot boot-ts10" command it rebooted on TWRP's recovery. Just rebooted with "adb reboot" command and it booted up like always.

Rebooted 2 times more and started to work excellent, but after some tests with "Touch MultiTest" app from Google Play, it showed some blind rectangles remarked in the next screenshots:

c79c5204ae1f0c082a27992df5209aec.jpg

After another reboot, there:

93102ede0db098233eba3e0f9852df3a.jpg

Then I remembered I made a change in the "elan-touchscreen.idc" file under system\usr\idc, changing "touch.pressure.scale" from 0.0048 to 0.007. So reverted back to 0.0048, rebooted twice and now working excellent as described above.

Sometimes it loses grounding, just turn off/on screen and it's back to normal.

I'll continue testing the touchscreen and post any news!

Last edited:

VicToR_AC

Apr 29, 2010
Santiago del Estero
Ts10 gave me some blind points in the first half of the screen starting from the bottom while not holding the tablet.

Tested ts11 and had some other blind spots on the right bezel near the top and touchscreen testers showed a thin line before the right bezel that wasn't detected.

Now on ts09 seems well calibrated. Gonna test this one.

EDITED: reverted back to ts10, the best for me. Went trough ts20/25/30 but all of them have blind spots.

Last edited:

JeviEnuh

Jan 17, 2016
Thanks!

Wow thank you. Tried everything before, from removing screen protector to switching flex cables to putting more cushion on top the connections. Nothing worked.
ts10 worked for me, but i continued trying the rest to see if i could get my soft keys working again. None solved so I'm back to ts10 and having no problems at all.
There used to be ghost touches that would make tablet unusable. Turning the screen off then back on would sometimes make them stop for about a minute.

Android 5.1.1 (Since sixaxis tool isn't working with DS4 properly on 6.0.1)
Nexus 7 (2013) LTE

For others who may have lost complete touch in any part of their screen (soft keys for me), check if there are any cracks around the edge or if your digitizer may be lifting off. I have a small crack at the bottom edge of my screen (portrait mode) and that seems to have caused my softkeys not working in portrait mode

Zirvine

Sep 15, 2013
Makati
Thank you so much. IT WORKED!!!!!

IT WORKED!!!!! First of all i would like to thank you so much for the help that you have given me. My tablet is only 3 days old but i immediately noticed something wrong with the screen. when i pinch to zoom in and out. I downloaded some screen testers and found out that certain commands/gestures do cause erratic behavior to the tablet.

Issues:
1. pinching from opposite sides (landscape) causes multiple third-finger ghost tap on the outer left part of the screen.
2. there is a dead screen at the bottom about 3mm wide just above and parallel to the navigation keys.
3. whenever i press more than 4 fingers (using multi-touch test), in a box shaped pattern, my screen creates several ghost taps. It just goes crazy.

TS10 worked amazingly for me. It took care of both issues 1 and 2. Number 3 issue could be tolerable since there are no apps that actually needs that kind of screen touching. Besides, it clearly says that the fix is meant to make the tablet more usable. Thank you so much again.

Reactions: Natakranta

masri1987

Jun 27, 2010
Honolulu, Hawaii
probably my mistake, but i'm in command prompt i got the nexus to reboot to bootloader via adb. then i type in fastboot boot boot-ts10-lock.img

it has been saying waiting for device for 10 minutes now.

What am i missing?

---------- Post added at 09:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:30 PM ----------

probably my mistake, but i'm in command prompt i got the nexus to reboot to bootloader via adb. then i type in fastboot boot boot-ts10-lock.img

it has been saying waiting for device for 10 minutes now.

What am i missing?

got it., thanks all

Axel85

May 9, 2010
Hi I bought a used nexus 7 one week ago ,coming with last stock 6.0.1.Can I use those firmwares with cyanogenmod 13?
Because I tried to flash t10s but seems worst then before the change. I have a nexus 7 32gb and with stock rom I never noticed those touchscreen issues. Today I flashed cyanogenmod and started have some small problems.Wich is the ts file from last google factory image?
If I flash boot-ts-unlock,img and then the last factory image,will I restore the stock drivers? I read some pages but I can t understand everithing perfectly
Are those drivers compatible with all touch panel models?

Last edited:

_jis_

Feb 5, 2012
Please close this thread and stop confusion

Please close this thread as it is no longer relevant and can not possibly deliver the "lock in what works for YOU regardless of updates" proposition because for quite a while OTA updates do not work on modified systems - and there is no fix for this - even if the OP was suddenly resurrected after 3 years of absence from this thread.
That is not true at all. Modified touch screen controller (TSC) firmware has nothing in common with modified system partition or OTAs in any way. You don't need to have root to load alternative TSC, only unlocked bootloader. Without root you cannot modify system partition.

Btw, it is a hardware issue and tinkering around the edges of your OS is a waste of time. Get a new touch digitizer from eBay or Amazon for $15.
Read whole thread and you will be amazed how many people solved or diminish their touch screen controller issues with those alternatively calibrated TSC firmwares including me and author (rip) of this thread.

marsaltito

Oct 24, 2008
Please close this thread and stop confusion

Please close this thread as it is no longer relevant and can not possibly deliver the "lock in what works for YOU regardless of updates" proposition because for quite a while OTA updates do not work on modified systems - and there is no fix for this - even if the OP was suddenly resurrected after 3 years of absence from this thread.

Btw, it is a hardware issue and tinkering around the edges of your OS is a waste of time. Get a new touch digitizer from eBay or Amazon for $15.

Lol . hahahahah you are joke boy !

k23m

Jan 3, 2016
That is not true at all. Modified touch screen controller (TSC) firmware has nothing in common with modified system partition or OTAs in any way. You don't need to have root to load alternative TSC, only unlocked bootloader. Without root you cannot modify system partition.

Read whole thread and you will be amazed how many people solved or diminish their touch screen controller issues with those alternatively calibrated TSC firmwares including me and author (rip) of this thread.

Thanks for your reply. The OP didn't bother to reveal what's in his files. If he mentioned firmware in his original post we would not be discussing it now. Is the 3-year old firmware patch still better than latest versions?

---------- Post added at 07:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:50 AM ----------

Lol . hahahahah you are joke boy !
He who laughs last, laughs longest.

_jis_

Feb 5, 2012
The OP didn't bother to reveal what's in his files. If he mentioned firmware in his original post we would not be discussing it now.
This whole thread is about it and you didn't bother to read through it but at same time you didn't hesitate post your false statement and wrong request without any knowledge. That's what bothered me.
In such a case it is better be silent :angel:

Is the 3-year old firmware patch still better than latest versions?
That was answered many times in this thread. It depends on your particular Nexus 7 2013, because each one is unique regarding its TSC behavior with various version of stock ROM.
So there is only one right answer: you should try and test it for yourself, but be warned - it is a time consuming process.

Reactions: afremont

afremont

Aug 31, 2013
He who laughs last, laughs longest.

Why would someone want to install a digitizer when they can simply flash the firmware on their device with one of the packages and permanently fix their problems? Have you ever tried separating a digitizer from the glass on any mobile device, much less a Nexus 7? It's an art that takes much practice and even once you're good at it, you stand a 50% chance of breaking the glass anyway, then you have to glue them back together and not get bubbles in between. I don't know for sure, but I suspect that it wouldn't solve the problem anyway. It is my understanding that the problem is caused by different manufacturing shielding variations that were made during production. There was never a one-size-fits-all fix for these things. A digitizer and screen combination costs about $50. I fixed my wife's and my tablets by building the OS at home and including the firmware that worked best for us. As difficult and confusing as that was, it was still more manageable than trying to change the digitizer alone. Plus I get to see my name when I do Settings/About Phone. ;)

k23m

Jan 3, 2016
There was never a one-size-fits-all fix for these things. A digitizer and screen combination costs about $50. I fixed my wife's and my tablets by building the OS at home and including the firmware that worked best for us. As difficult and confusing as that was, it was still more manageable than trying to change the digitizer alone. Plus I get to see my name when I do Settings/About Phone. ;)
Again, I read only the very first post of this thread and the conclusions were based on wrong assumptions regarding new OTA updates.

I noticed that the "fw_data.b" ektf3k firmware files in kitkat and marshmallow are identical so nothing has changed over the years. The firmware in CM12.1 which I use has several different bytes to those in stock kernel. The OP either had access to Elan's NDA documentation and patched a particular firmware or used various official Elan firmware versions in the packages posted here.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    By now folks realize there are different hardware variances for the touchscreen which is one reason why some people have issues and others do not.

Don't you hate it when you have a workable system, then an update comes along which fixes something, let's say GPS, but then your touchscreen goes down the tubes? Suddenly you have dead spots, dead bands, ghost/phantom touches, stuck touches, broken drags, etc. Touchscreen works ok when held or plugged in, but is unusable on a table?

Never fear, I've put together packages to handle 3 different variances of the touchscreen.

I was able to make the touchscreen usable again on 3 of 4 test units. The 4th was always bad even out of the box so it might be hopeless for that one.

I do NOT claim this will fix everyones' touchscreen and that isn't even the goal as it might be an impossible task.

The goal is to make 70-80% of the problem units usable (again), but even if only 50% become usable this is an improvement over the current situation.

On to the packages:

In the attached boot-ts.7z file you'll find 4 files:
    • boot-ts10-lock.img
    • boot-ts20-lock.img
    • boot-ts30-lock.img
    • boot-ts-unlock.img
    the ts10, ts20, and ts30 packages handle 3 variances on the touchscreen

You basically try each one to see which works best for your particular touchscreen.

Once you find one (and hopefully you do) then it is locked in place so future updates won't mess up your touchscreen again. No more OTA performance anxiety.

Now let's say there is an update in the future which has touchscreen fixes you want to use, that is where the 4th package comes into play. Once you use the ts-unlock image, you will once again be using touchscreen updates from the manufacturer. If that update doesn't work out, you can go back and use the ts10/20/30 package that was working for you.

Ok, so how does all this work?

I tried to make the process as simple as possible (has been tested on JWR66N, JSS15J, and JSS15Q, will work on LTE and custom ROMs also):

Your bootloader must be UNLOCKED to use these packages. Unlocking your bootloader is covered in this post.

1. unpack the boot-ts.7z package using 7-zip
      • you'll be left with a boot-ts directory with the aforementioned files
    2. connect your tablet by USB
      • make sure USB debugging is enabled
        Settings->About tablet [tap "Build number" 7 times]
        Settings->Developer options [check "USB debugging"]
      • you can find adb/fastboot drivers HERE
    3. in a command prompt in the boot-ts directory type (commands in italics)
      • adb reboot bootloader
        • wait for the bootloader screen to come up
        • alternatively use Power+VolDown to get to the bootloader/fastboot screen
      • fastboot boot boot-ts10-lock.img
        • this is how you try out package ts10
        • the screen will hang for 18-24 seconds, this is NORMAL, do not touch
        • this does NOT flash over your existing kernel
        • wait until Android is COMPLETELY booted
        • Note: if you are on Android 4.4 the stock 4.3 kernel will not get past the BouncingBalls
          • wait 120 seconds for the boot to settle down
          • press/hold the Power button 10-15 seconds until the tablet reboots
          • proceed to next step
      • adb reboot
        • after booting to Android you MUST reboot at least once
        • IGNORE any instability up to this point, it is expected
        • if adb reboot does not work for some reason, use the power button to shutdown/reboot
        • once you are booted into Android the 2nd time, try out the touchscreen and see if it feels usable
        • if there is instability, give it one more reboot back into Android before judging
    4. if things are not working acceptably
      • repeat step #3, with ts20, and ts30 if needed
    5. hopefully between ts10, ts20, and ts30, you will have found a package that works for you
      • there is nothing else for you to do
      • you can reboot and use your normal ROMs, custom ROMs, stock kernels, custom kernels, etc.
      • your touchscreen package is locked in place and won't change unless you want it to
    6. if you want to go back to the way it was before and/or you want a future touchscreen update from the manufacturer
      • repeat step #3 using boot-ts-unlock.img
      • upon first reboot you will have the touchscreen software from the installed ROM/kernel

Please post feedback with:
    • the version of software you are running
    • what was/is broken
    • whether any of the packages helped

Remember to click thanks if you find this useful.

That's it folks, hope this helps somebody.
    After many days of testing various patches, I've concluded on TS-16. Below are my test summary if it helps anyone.

Problems I faced with
    - stucked touches, rather frequent
    - ghost touches, very seldom. Only noticeable in very touch intensive games.
    - missed touches, seems to happen a lot with typing.
    - all the above happened regardless hand held or on a non conducting surface. Happens a lot more on a non conducting surface. A reboot usually fixes things for a while before it starts again.

TS10
    - Works well, but has very seldom 5sec freezes that recoveries and goes wonky at bottom of screen after extended uses.
    - Fixes stucked touches.
    - No noticeable ghost touches or missed touches.

TS20
    - Works and feels better both single n multi touch compared to TS10.
    - BUT has unexplainable random system freezes that requires hard reset. Happens very occasionally and only in touch intensive programs.
    - Fixes stucked touches, ghost and most missed touches.

TS25 and TS30
    - Fixes stucked touches.
    - Ghost touches becomes more frequent near bottom of screen.
    - Touch feels a lil wonky too.

TS18
    - Fixes stucked touches.
    - Ghost touches and missed touches are unnoticeable.
    - Multi touch in Google maps is less responsive.
    - Random freezes also encountered as per TS20

TS14
    - Fixes stucked touches
    - Ghost touches and missed touches are unnoticeable.
    - good responsiveness in google maps.
    - typing feels a little inaccurate.

TS8 TS6 AND TS9
    - all feels very sensitive.
    - feels random wonkyness
    - fixes stucked touches
    - no noticeable Ghost touches and missed touches.
    - typing seems overly sensitive and results in many errors.
    - random wonkyness happens after extended use and short self recovered freezes.

TS16 - my favourite
    - Fixes stucked touches
    - no noticeable ghost touches or missed touches
    - no random freezes experienced, not even the self recoverable freezes.
    - good balance of sensitivity and accuracy.
    - good multi touch responses in Google maps and Google earth.
    - no problems in most instances when using on a flat surface.

Just a note to everyone. I have given at least 3-4 reboots after each update, and run them for at least 24 hours playing touch sensitive and intensive games like Turbo racing using multitouch to slide and more around.

Hope this helps. Thank you sfhub for filling the gaps where Google and Asus have not. Great patches for everyone to suit your usage patterns.

This entire message is typed using my nexus 7 2013 in dolphin browser.
    Had enough. Smashed the N7 against a wall. Display broken. Worst piece of #%#& I bought in years. Never again.

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9505 mit Tapatalk
    Can anyone verify if placing the N7 on a Macbook Pro keyboard still triggers the multitouch craziness with the patch?
    So this guy goes to the doctor's office and says my head hurts everytime I hit the wall. The doctor says, then stop hitting the wall.

Couldn't you just slide it over and don't use the tablet on top of the keyboard?

Have you considered the MacBook Pro might be emitting interference? Stray currents and voltages? It doesn't take much to throw these capacitative touchscreens off.

On this thread, most people have it much worse than you making the tablet very hard to use. We are trying to get these units back into a state that is at least usable.

Your case, while an interesting science project really isn't something someone would feel any sense of urgency to help address.
    ts-30: still jumps of right side of the screen, just a few mm from the right bezel,zooming/panning in gmaps is still jumpy. after second reboot, seems most stable.
    You must IGNORE any results from that first boot for all the packages, especially since you are running CM because (on that first boot) you are essentially running CM with a stock kernel without any kernel mods CM may need.

On CM I would actually not pass judgment until perhaps a second reboot.

One shouldn't have as much instability in that first boot if they are running a stock ROM.

Can you compare the behavior to what you had before trying them out?

I presume you had some issues before, hence trying these out.