Taking Screenshots(no root)!works in recovery!+CWM shots/quickguide

Search This thread

b02

Nov 2, 2011
Podgorica
Well since its easy to take screenshots on rooted device, non rooted, stock and others find it a bit difficult...

There are few ways to do it:
1. Unlock your device, flash recovery, flash rom(in my case cm7.2 which has built in function when long pressing power button to choose to screenshot it) and install some screenshot app.(there are many free on market)
2. You can do it by using No Root Screenshot It(tested) or Screen Capture -No Rooting 2.2(not tested).
3. By using Android SDK and DDMS
Here is how to:
First you will need your device drivers, if not rooted its done by installing HTC Sync.
Second you will need Android SDK, and you will find it here, it will also ask you to install JDK (Java Development Kit), if you dont have it download it here
Third go to your device, menu/settings/applications/development/usb debugging and tick it.
Fourth, go to your install location(usually c:/program files/android/android-sdk-windows or something like that) and there you will find ddms, open it.
Now connect your device, and in left side of ddms it will appear.
Double click on your device, and there you will see your screen and can refresh, save, rotate and so on ...

UPDATE:
So I tried this one when running custom recovery (cwm tested)
It is the same process as above, you just do a reboot into recovery, or restart your phone, when restarting your phone will loose connection to ddms, but wait a bit since as soon as it opens recovery, your phone will be open inside ddms and you will be again able to capture screens...This is i guess usefull if you want to show someone how to do something into recovery... ;)

21mf960.png
2e67bpl.png
5ujo5d.png
244ac5k.png
23r8uuc.png
20geekl.png

Screenshots are from ClockWork Mod Recovery v5.0.2.8 which i flashed on top of alquez's cwm v5.0.2.6 via Root Manager
Screenshot number one : Install zip from SD Card (used for flashing new rom or any other flashable zip)
Screenshot number two: CyanogenMod Boot Animation
Screenshot number three: Wiping Cache(which is selected from the main menu-see 1st screenshot option 4)
Screenshot number four: Wiping Data/Factory reset(selected from the main menu option 3)
Screenshot number five: Advanced menu (main menu option 8) where you can wipe dalvik, and of course all other options seen up on ss.
Screenshot number six: Nandroid backup and restore (main menu option 6)

D3VI0US

Nov 19, 2011
Ok it's working with me .. but once i restart the phone to get into the CWM the DDM list the phone as unknown and i can't take any screenshot .. so is theres something i miss here?

b02

Nov 2, 2011
Podgorica
Ok it's working with me .. but once i restart the phone to get into the CWM the DDM list the phone as unknown and i can't take any screenshot .. so is theres something i miss here?

When you restart, wait to find your phone... Then open ddms? It should be there...

Sent from my GT-I9001 using xda premium

Thing O Doom

Mar 10, 2012
Phoenix

I suffer from this problem too,
I'd like to take screenshots of my device in CWM for a guide, but it doesn't want to show the screen in ddms, it lists it as 'unknown' and shows 'screen not available'

More info:
ASUS Eee Pad Transformer Tf101
Rouge XM Touch Recovery V1.5 (Same as Xoom)
Full normal adb access in recovery.

Thanks,
ToD

DD-Ripper

Jun 3, 2012
Assam
We GALAXY S2 users are lucky that Screenshot feature comes built-in with phone. :D
Just by holding "Home key" and "Power Key" for around 2 seconds takes the Screenshot. :D :D

Sent from my GT-i9100 equipped with Grenade Launcher and Remote Explosives :D

b02

Nov 2, 2011
Podgorica
We GALAXY S2 users are lucky that Screenshot feature comes built-in with phone. :D
Just by holding "Home key" and "Power Key" for around 2 seconds takes the Screenshot. :D :D

Sent from my GT-i9100 equipped with Grenade Launcher and Remote Explosives :D

well, on i9001 also, with back button and home button we take screens, BUT it doesnt work in recovery... thats the point =)

I suffer from this problem too,
I'd like to take screenshots of my device in CWM for a guide, but it doesn't want to show the screen in ddms, it lists it as 'unknown' and shows 'screen not available'

More info:
ASUS Eee Pad Transformer Tf101
Rouge XM Touch Recovery V1.5 (Same as Xoom)
Full normal adb access in recovery.

Thanks,
ToD

some drivers from your transformer are not installed on computer, try somewhere else or reinstall drivers... sorry for late answer...

Egooktamuck

Aug 9, 2012
I have the problem too. In CWM 6.0.1.2 my Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (CM10) doesn't want to show the screen capture in DDMS. At the monitor the device appears as a number. As unknown status. Taking a screenshot is not possible. I can select the Screenshot function, but there is no picture...

DDMS.jpg

Ins3ne33

Aug 4, 2010
Dhaka
No theres a easy way !

Go to play store and find the App Screenshot and Draw it works without root just download the .bat file and run it on your pc and open the apk on your phone and you will be able to take screenshots !

meiradarocha

Sep 23, 2012
Taking frame buffer screenshots

I have the problem too. In CWM 6.0.1.2 my Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (CM10) doesn't want to show the screen capture in DDMS. At the monitor the device appears as a number. As unknown status. Taking a screenshot is not possible. I can select the Screenshot function, but there is no picture...

You can take screenshots with adb copying the frame buffer:
Code:
adb pull /dev/graphics/fb0 fb0.raw
The image (in recovery mode) is in the format RGB 5:6:5 (5 bits red, 6 bits green, 5 bits blue). Open it with IrfanView as raw image 16 BPP 5:6:5, with you device dimension (mine is 240 x 400 pixels, chinese MT6516) and save it in any other format.

See more valuable information: imajeenyus.com/computer/20130301_android_tablet/android/taking_screenshots . h t m l

Riv3n

Nov 24, 2010
Code:
The image (in recovery mode) is in the format RGB 5:6:5 (5 bits red, 6 bits green, 5 bits blue). Open it with IrfanView as raw image 16 BPP 5:6:5, with you device dimension (mine is 240 x 400 pixels, chinese MT6516) and save it in any other format.

See more valuable information: imajeenyus.com/computer/20130301_android_tablet/android/taking_screenshots . h t m l

It worked!!! Thanks. :good:

Reactions: shoxxy and CekasCG

scandiun

Jul 12, 2010
Code:

That settings didn't work for me, instead had to use the ones specified in the website:
32 BPP, File header size 3, color order BGR. Have a Galaxy S2.

Android: Taking screenshots

Last edited:

digt

Oct 13, 2014
Hi, in recovery i have this output:
Code:
error: device unauthorized. Please check the confirmation dialog on your device.
I have an xperia m whith cyanogenmod 11 and cwm v6.0.5.1
what can i do?
thanks

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Well since its easy to take screenshots on rooted device, non rooted, stock and others find it a bit difficult...

There are few ways to do it:
    1. Unlock your device, flash recovery, flash rom(in my case cm7.2 which has built in function when long pressing power button to choose to screenshot it) and install some screenshot app.(there are many free on market)
    2. You can do it by using No Root Screenshot It(tested) or Screen Capture -No Rooting 2.2(not tested).
    3. By using Android SDK and DDMS
    Here is how to:
    First you will need your device drivers, if not rooted its done by installing HTC Sync.
    Second you will need Android SDK, and you will find it here, it will also ask you to install JDK (Java Development Kit), if you dont have it download it here
    Third go to your device, menu/settings/applications/development/usb debugging and tick it.
    Fourth, go to your install location(usually c:/program files/android/android-sdk-windows or something like that) and there you will find ddms, open it.
    Now connect your device, and in left side of ddms it will appear.
    Double click on your device, and there you will see your screen and can refresh, save, rotate and so on ...

UPDATE:
    So I tried this one when running custom recovery (cwm tested)
    It is the same process as above, you just do a reboot into recovery, or restart your phone, when restarting your phone will loose connection to ddms, but wait a bit since as soon as it opens recovery, your phone will be open inside ddms and you will be again able to capture screens...This is i guess usefull if you want to show someone how to do something into recovery... ;)

21mf960.png
    2e67bpl.png
    5ujo5d.png
    244ac5k.png
    23r8uuc.png
    20geekl.png

Screenshots are from ClockWork Mod Recovery v5.0.2.8 which i flashed on top of alquez's cwm v5.0.2.6 via Root Manager
    Screenshot number one : Install zip from SD Card (used for flashing new rom or any other flashable zip)
    Screenshot number two: CyanogenMod Boot Animation
    Screenshot number three: Wiping Cache(which is selected from the main menu-see 1st screenshot option 4)
    Screenshot number four: Wiping Data/Factory reset(selected from the main menu option 3)
    Screenshot number five: Advanced menu (main menu option 8) where you can wipe dalvik, and of course all other options seen up on ss.
    Screenshot number six: Nandroid backup and restore (main menu option 6)
    Taking frame buffer screenshots

Code:

Code:

It worked!!! Thanks. :good: