Question [TB-J706F] pre-installed Netflix app broken and black listed?

Search This thread

Octavio_V

Mar 16, 2022
Hey guys.

I also have the Xiaoxin Pad Pro TB-J706F flashed with TB-J706F_S620150_211226_ROW

software version TB-J706F_RF01_211226

Widevine L1 system wide, netflix also recognizing L1 and HDR10 + DV support, but for some reason since yesterday it has been playing SD content. I uninstalled the 7.80 app update, reverted to stock app that doesn't work, reinstalled 6.26 and went to 7.80 again but can't get HD playback.

What's going on?

EDIT: To clarify, my netflix app IS showing L1, Full HD and HDR10 + DV support. I also get vision logo in enabled movies and shows but the image looks SD. Something wrong with netflix? It was fine two days ago.

1647452232666.jpeg

Last edited:

MrCrayon

Sep 6, 2013
Xiaomi Redmi Note 4
Lenovo P11
Update from Lenovo Forum
short update - our technicians have informed me that the new OTA version has successfully passed our testing and has entered the testing phase of our partners. They have indicated that there is a slight delay with the current phase, but we still seem to be on track for a release at the end of March. I'll make sure to inform you in this discussion as soon as I get further updates.

@Octavio_V try to play Test patterns in Netflix to see exactly what is being played, it might be a connection problem.

Octavio_V

Mar 16, 2022
@Octavio_V try to play Test patterns in Netflix to see exactly what is being played, it might be a connection problem.
Now this is interesting. I confirmed my gut feeling, it is indeed sub-hd being played, but a resolution a little bit over the SD 480p that would be the limit on widevine L3:

imagem_2022-03-17_103255.png

The plot thickens. Isn't this weird? It's maxing out at 540p, which means L1 and DRM isn't the problem, right?

I called netflix about this and they had me stay on the phone for a painful 50 minutes to investigate the problem. They had me send them prints of the download speed, the widevine playback specification thing...the tech support girl then told me it's a Netflix-side issue, nothing to do with my tablet in general.

They also asked about the app version, and I told them it was on 7.80 because it inexplicably downgrades my widevine in later versions. They weren't too keen on discussing that, and I let that slide since posts above mention it's apparently an unrelated issue on Lenovo's side they're already working on an update to fix.

Seems like the L1 thing and this problem are two totally unrelated, different problems after all. I'm stuck with SD on Netflix on this thing for the time being.

The question now is, if Netflix said they're working on it...will this "fix"...be in a new app update? Then am I doomed either way if I can't move past 7.80 for now?

Guess I'll have to wait and find out.

MrCrayon

Sep 6, 2013
Xiaomi Redmi Note 4
Lenovo P11
@Octavio_V yes that's over the definition of L3.
The question now is, if Netflix said they're working on it...will this "fix"...be in a new app update? Then am I doomed either way if I can't move past 7.80 for now?

I just tried and I have same resolution while before I had fullHD with Netflix 7.81.1 build 19 35189, the last version working that I know.

That confirms that they changed something server side because I did not update the app or the system and before it was playing at FullHD.

Good news is that looks like the fix from Lenovo will be out in a couple of weeks max. 🤞

Reactions: Octavio_V

Octavio_V

Mar 16, 2022
@Octavio_V yes that's over the definition of L3.

I just tried and I have same resolution while before I had fullHD with Netflix 7.81.1 build 19 35189, the last version working that I know.

That confirms that they changed something server side because I did not update the app or the system and before it was playing at FullHD.

Good news is that looks like the fix from Lenovo will be out in a couple of weeks max. 🤞
I was playing around here trying to figure out this problem and decided to update my app from 7.80 to current version 8.21. After the update through google play it's still saying L1 in the netflix version 8.21, but I expect it will downgrade to L3 as it does with every version I tested after 7.80.

However, while now it's still in L1 I am still getting a max 960x540 on test patterns.

By the way, the previous app version that worked fine, 6.26 no longer works correctly here. Maybe whatever they changed server side killed off older versions?

EDIT, UPDATE: Lenovo forums ppl confirm that 6.26 is dead as well. They report that Prime Video is no longer working on the tablet either, and I have tried and can confirm this.

Last edited:

Octavio_V

Mar 16, 2022
New update from Lenovo forums regarding the 540p problem:

Hi all,

the symptoms you are seeing lately seem to be suspiciously overlapping the testing phase of our partners, so it seems that they could be making adjustments to their servers in preparations for the release of the new OTA. I haven't received any update that would indicate this, it is just me guessing based on all the information shared here. What further convinces me that this might be the case is, that this seems to affect Amazon Prime Video, and as you might know, Netflix is running on AWS:

Netflix uses Amazon Web Services (AWS) for nearly all its computing and storage needs, including databases, analytics, recommendation engines, video transcoding, and more

I can't promise that I can find out more on the above suspicions, as such level of behind the scene details are not shared with me, but all of this seem to indicate that we're getting very close to the release of the fix, which I am very happy about.

Best regards
Juraj
Community lead

Octavio_V

Mar 16, 2022
Update: Amazon Prime Vídeo ia nos working again after a few days of playback error.

Netflix 7.80 with lá recognized is still playing at 540 tho.

Edit: Nevermind, issue persists...It was playing with hardware acceleration disabled in SD.

cgg123321

Jan 12, 2010
Wow I almost bought a P11 Pro (2020 version with SD730 - is that this model?TB-j706f) from Aliexpress, I'm guessing I should avoid it since I am mainly using this as a Netflix + comic reader?

Are these issues only for the XiaoXin chinese version, or is it the same with the US version? Or are the tablets the same once the global firmware is flashed?

Wow I almost bought a P11 Pro (2020 version with SD730 - is that this model?TB-j706f) from Aliexpress, I'm guessing I should avoid it since I am mainly using this as a Netflix + comic reader?

Are these issues only for the XiaoXin chinese version, or is it the same with the US version? Or are the tablets the same once the global firmware is flashed?
Don't know anything about Chinese version but the US version was giving me problems because of unlocked bootloader. Everything was stock with no root access but couldn't run latest Netflix app. After re-locking bootloader which wipes data the app said not compatible but when going to playstore it updated with no issue. Netflix works like it should, I only pay for HD playback so that is the most I can get, but it is shown as L1 and DRM Info app shows the device with supported HDR Types: Dolby Vision, HDR10, HDR10+ and HLG.

Octavio_V

Mar 16, 2022
Don't know anything about Chinese version but the US version was giving me problems because of unlocked bootloader. Everything was stock with no root access but couldn't run latest Netflix app. After re-locking bootloader which wipes data the app said not compatible but when going to playstore it updated with no issue. Netflix works like it should, I only pay for HD playback so that is the most I can get, but it is shown as L1 and DRM Info app shows the device with supported HDR Types: Dolby Vision, HDR10, HDR10+ and HLG.
What is your system software version?

Can you confirm L1 is working now?

Last edited:

Octavio_V

Mar 16, 2022
@tek3195 What I meant is that if you can confirm that it is really playing in 1080p.

I and others are having this issue where netflix plays 540p content even though the app, and system wide L1 is working.

Lenovo forums mod says a new OTA is being pushed out for the TB-J706F, version:

TB-J706F_S630229_220312_ROW

But that it is still not the fix for the netflix issue. Anyone get this update yet? Mine still shows latest software installed at TB-J706F-S620150_211226_ROW

@tek3195 What I meant is that if you can confirm that it is really playing in 1080p.

I and others are having this issue where netflix plays 540p content even though the app, and system wide L1 is working.

But that it is still not the fix for the netflix issue. Anyone get this update yet? Mine still shows latest software installed at TB-J706F-S620150_211226_ROW
Sorry, pulled sd card and wiped data, put it in a box and it is for sale. It has been replaced by a Tab S6 that somehow cost me nothing. Still a bit confused but couldn't be happier with the switch.

Edukenedy

Mar 23, 2022

my lenovo has already updated to this version TB-J706F_S630229_220312_ROW, so far no L1 on Netflix and Prime video, let's wait if they will release another update

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    From Lenovo Forum:

"our technicians have confirmed that they have identified the root cause for the behavior described in this discussion and that they are currently working on a fix for this symptom. We do not have an ETA for the fix yet, but I keep this item high on my priority list and will continue inquiring about the current status."
    just intall netflix version 7.80
    this would solve the problem. and don't update it
    Let me know if yours stays, maybe we can figure it out what's different.

You are right, there happens something in the background.
    I have NOT played any movies for about 3~4 hours and now the 7.120.0 downgraded itself to L3.

The app also got a new menu entry "playback specification", after updateting from 6.26.1 to 7.120.0 this entry is NOT displayed.

I really like this kind of "service". You pay a lot of money and they just decide to change what you have to use.
    It's like you buy a 80" TV and a week later it shrinks it self to 19" ...
    I'm still waiting for the OTA...
    There must be a way to fool the system...
    Yeah I tried a tons of netflix versions, nothing works.
    I am starting to wonder if it was ever L1 on netflix on this tablet :ROFLMAO: