TCL 10 Pro no Smart Key?

Search This thread

skromnia

Aug 17, 2011
I have the Smart Key option which allows programming the side button on the TCL Plex but in 10 Pro the key is only for Google Assistant and Smart Key app is missing. Any way to fork it from Plex or 10 Lite and install it on 10 Pro?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-06-24-20-13-19-274.jpg
    Screenshot_2020-06-24-20-13-19-274.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 167

darklighthim

Sep 20, 2010
I have no idea, but same issue here.
Saw the LinusTechTips video on the 10 Pro and saw he had the option to change what the smart key did, but when I got my device last week I found it missing said options.

I am activating the google assistant more than I'd like so would love to change it.

darklighthim

Sep 20, 2010
Last edited:
Reactions: KOLIOSIS

KOLIOSIS

Thanks for the reply, but I have no option in the settings?
There should be Driving Mode, then Smart Key and finally Switch Phone but all I have is Driving Mode, then Switch Phone.

Just spit-balling here, as I don't have the phone....

Just to rule everything else out, have you looked in "Developer Options"

If it's not listed there, the only other thing that comes to mind is look for a hidden shortcut, either with an app from the play store, or, if you have Nova Launcher, use its shortcut function to search for it.

If all else fails, I'd look around here in the XDA TCL forums for someone that might have a device with the .apk to extract & share, or, reach out to TCL for the app/request a software update to include it.

Perhaps some of the YouTubers who've got this phone can help out/share an apk.....

Glad I checked out this section, I'd be tee'd to find this out after the fact.

@skromnia

Can you extract the apk from your other TCL device, see if it works on your 10 Pro?

Last edited:

darklighthim

Sep 20, 2010
Nothing in the Developer Options and as far as I can see, nothing showed up in Nova Launcher plus I looked up system apps in settings but nothing there either.
I have reached out to TCL via Facebook, the first time they just sent me a link to a photo telling me what the smart key can do, but I've asked again..

It's not a big deal, but it would be nice to change it so I don't access the google assistant all the time when I accidentally press the button.

surroundedbydrones

Mar 1, 2008
Software version?

It's in the latest build, and was there our the box as well (advanced features), that's strange it's not showing for you.

skromnia

Aug 17, 2011
@skromnia

Can you extract the apk from your other TCL device, see if it works on your 10 Pro?

I eventually managed to fork the apk without root and install it on the Pro but it doesn't do anything. Probably it must be installed as a system app but without root it's impossible + the Pro has an extra setting for the "Google Assistant" button which surely interferes with Smart Key.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-06-28-04-18-23-266.jpg
    Screenshot_2020-06-28-04-18-23-266.jpg
    196.4 KB · Views: 129
  • Screenshot_2020-06-28-04-23-26-153.jpg
    Screenshot_2020-06-28-04-23-26-153.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 131

surroundedbydrones

Mar 1, 2008
If you have the Plex, then you probably have the T799H (green EU) variant of the TCL 10 Pro.

The T799B (gray US/CAN) variant has the smart key settings and a different accessibility menu

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-06-28-20-45-26-072.jpg
    Screenshot_2020-06-28-20-45-26-072.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 107

skromnia

Aug 17, 2011
If you have the Plex, then you probably have the T799H (green EU) variant of the TCL 10 Pro.

The T799B (gray US/CAN) variant has the smart key settings and a different accessibility menu

Correct, I have the T799H. It's unfortunate there are such differences but it's a shame they just removed the Smart Key with the latest update on the TCL 10l as well.

surroundedbydrones

Mar 1, 2008
Correct, I have the T799H. It's unfortunate there are such differences but it's a shame they just removed the Smart Key with the latest update on the TCL 10l as well.

Well, I bet your fingerprint shortcuts actually work, they don't work at all on the T799B.

And as a consolation, that green T799H is beautiful and not available in the US yet.

darklighthim

Sep 20, 2010
Finally have some options for me (UK phone).

Late this afternoon I received an update to V2.0.4D.H.J, and in accessibility settings I can change the google assistant options on the smart key, but can't do anything else like re-map it to another app or change what various presses do.
At last I can turn it off because I keep pressing it when I don't want to.
mdngktW.jpg

JayTM

Feb 3, 2021
If anyone still looking here is the Smart Key app apk file from my T799b US version.

unubogdan

Jun 8, 2017
Thnk you Jay for posting the apk.
I have the same issue uith my T770H_EEA and I try with Jay apk but unfortunately doesn't work. Apk installed successfully, I manage to configure the features for Smart Key, restart phone but nothing happens when I press it.
I have the last software version installed
V. 2.0. 3C. J. 1.

JayTM

Feb 3, 2021
You issue might be that when you install Smart Key, It is not a system app but a user app therefore it might not save the "system settings". There might be a command in adb to make a user app into a system app. Without root on our device I am not sure. My phone a T799B does show it as a system app.

When you install it does Smart key show up in settings under advanced features?

Screenshots below from my T799B

You also might need 1 extra apk file from the device called smart-divert. May all work together.

I uploaded some system apps here:

Thnk you Jay for posting the apk.
I have the same issue uith my T770H_EEA and I try with Jay apk but unfortunately doesn't work. Apk installed successfully, I manage to configure the features for Smart Key, restart phone but nothing happens when I press it.
I have the last software version installed
V. 2.0. 3C. J. 1.

Attachments

• Advanced Features.jpg
    Advanced Features.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 55
  • Smart Key.jpg
    Smart Key.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:

l30P0H

Jan 27, 2022
Disable assistant launch from settings, then install Button Mapper from Play market and do anything with any button you have on your phone.

Top Liked Posts