TCL Android TV model 55p8m / Android Recovery TCL/BeyondTV/BeyondTV

Search This thread

SaifAM

Mar 4, 2015
may i know what was that tinkering you did ?
Tinkering as in changing the setting to what I think is best 😅

Dolby Vision Settings for TCL C815K V649

Preset: Dolby Vision Bright

Advanced Settings:
Brightness Settings - Contrast: 100
Black Level: 50
Gamma: -1

Colour -
Colour Saturation: 70
Tint: 50
Colour Temperature: Normal

Clarity -
Sharpness: 10
Digital Noise Reduction: Low
Noise Reduction: Low

Motion -
Blur Reduction: 0
Judder Reduction: 1

If anyone else has any recommendations, I would like to hear them

elison_nc

Jun 20, 2021
Tinkering as in changing the setting to what I think is best 😅

Dolby Vision Settings for TCL C815K V649

Preset: Dolby Vision Bright

Advanced Settings:
Brightness Settings - Contrast: 100
Black Level: 50
Gamma: -1

Colour -
Colour Saturation: 70
Tint: 50
Colour Temperature: Normal

Clarity -
Sharpness: 10
Digital Noise Reduction: Low
Noise Reduction: Low

Motion -
Blur Reduction: 0
Judder Reduction: 1

If anyone else has any recommendations, I would like to hear them

Where I can find the option to change the presets of Dolby Vision (Bright, Dark)?

I put on a Dolby Vision movie, looked at the settings and didn't found the option anywhere

SaifAM

Mar 4, 2015
Where I can find the option to change the presets of Dolby Vision (Bright, Dark)?

I put on a Dolby Vision movie, looked at the settings and didn't found the option anywhere

In TV settings - Picture (At the top is should say Dolby Vision, this lets you know that it's activated) Picture Preset - Dolby Vision Bright.

Also, you have the Dolby Vision logo pop up in the top left corner, another indication that it's on

elison_nc

Jun 20, 2021
Picture...Picture Mode.....

In TV settings - Picture (At the top is should say Dolby Vision, this lets you know that it's activated) Picture Preset - Dolby Vision Bright.

Also, you have the Dolby Vision logo pop up in the top left corner, another indication that it's on

At the top it says Dolby Vision but I don't have the Picture mode/preset option, and the Dolby Vision pops up when I play.

I am using V645 firmware.

Edit- I found out why I didn't have the option, Game Mode was enabled.

MelkiG

Aug 6, 2021
Hi All, Hope I can receive some of you’re help that you all have been sharing here.

I just bought this TV (TCL 50* C715) and should hopefully receive it in the next few days, I don’t know much about this tv when I bought it (it was really well priced) so I couldn’t pass up the offer and had only done a brief search about it.

now I’m reading all about the “out of the box bad picture calibrations”. And want to make sure I get the best possible first experience when I set it up for the first time.

So I only have two questions to ask help for, For reference sake ill state that I’ll only be using this tv to watch Netflix from my PS5 console on HD and 4K content (mostly 4K) and playing games on the console itself 4K 60fps.

1: I’ve read the thread (all 105 pages) but I’m not sure if the previous calibration settings some of the users posted (I think pages 98 to 102?) also apply to what I’m needing it for? If someone can recommend what picture present I should use for my reference and the calibration settings for that picture present.

2. So from the looks of the comments I’ve read everyone seems happiest with version 649, so I should update this manually to V649 when I receive it?

thank you for taking the time to read.

twerg

Oct 11, 2009
Hobart
Apps & Games
Hi All, Hope I can receive some of you’re help that you all have been sharing here.

I just bought this TV (TCL 50* C715) and should hopefully receive it in the next few days, I don’t know much about this tv when I bought it (it was really well priced) so I couldn’t pass up the offer and had only done a brief search about it.

now I’m reading all about the “out of the box bad picture calibrations”. And want to make sure I get the best possible first experience when I set it up for the first time.

So I only have two questions to ask help for, For reference sake ill state that I’ll only be using this tv to watch Netflix from my PS5 console on HD and 4K content (mostly 4K) and playing games on the console itself 4K 60fps.

1: I’ve read the thread (all 105 pages) but I’m not sure if the previous calibration settings some of the users posted (I think pages 98 to 102?) also apply to what I’m needing it for? If someone can recommend what picture present I should use for my reference and the calibration settings for that picture present.

2. So from the looks of the comments I’ve read everyone seems happiest with version 649, so I should update this manually to V649 when I receive it?

thank you for taking the time to read.
Hey there.

I too recently bought a 50C715 and out of the box it was trash. I was really not happy with it... However this tread corrected that buyers remorse.

First thing to do is check the firmware version your set is on.
When mine was new, it was on v389. That is a really bad performing version.
I have flashed more recent ones, all working much better.
Currently on v649 and its really good, Picture is excellent, some lip sync issues though.
I could not unpdate OTA though, so use the USB methods

I pretty much use the settings as offered by AVPhilic from this thread. I dont think Im using the HD ones (unless I set them after a few drivns lol. The SD settings are really good.
SD settings - Page 86
HD settings - Page 90

I have a few posts with some comments about the TV and settings in the thread, but now Im really liking the TV. Its quite capable in some uses.

Gaming can be hit a miss though due to movement blurring/bleeding. Sometiome shapens, sometimes doesnt.

Biggest 'fix' ive found to reduce movement blurring is to turn off the Fast Startup, so that when your turning off (Shut down) its doing a full fresh start. Works well

MelkiG

Aug 6, 2021
Hey there.

I too recently bought a 50C715 and out of the box it was trash. I was really not happy with it... However this tread corrected that buyers remorse.

First thing to do is check the firmware version your set is on.
When mine was new, it was on v389. That is a really bad performing version.
I have flashed more recent ones, all working much better.
Currently on v649 and its really good, Picture is excellent, some lip sync issues though.
I could not unpdate OTA though, so use the USB methods

I pretty much use the settings as offered by AVPhilic from this thread. I dont think Im using the HD ones (unless I set them after a few drivns lol. The SD settings are really good.
SD settings - Page 86
HD settings - Page 90

I have a few posts with some comments about the TV and settings in the thread, but now Im really liking the TV. Its quite capable in some uses.

Gaming can be hit a miss though due to movement blurring/bleeding. Sometiome shapens, sometimes doesnt.

Biggest 'fix' ive found to reduce movement blurring is to turn off the Fast Startup, so that when your turning off (Shut down) its doing a full fresh start. Works well

thanks for the reply,

yes this is the settings I referring to by AVPhilic I will try the SD & HD calibrations, do I put it on a picture present and than change it from there?

I see the V649 file as well as the explanation to update has been posted here, basically download to a fat32 usb, make sure tv is off, plug USB in, turn on tv power button by holding for 10 seconds and it should recognise it byself.

I should be getting this TV tomorrow I will upload my experience both gaming & watching high content movies/tv shows.

Feral_Nguni

Jun 8, 2021
thanks for the reply,

yes this is the settings I referring to by AVPhilic I will try the SD & HD calibrations, do I put it on a picture present and than change it from there?

I see the V649 file as well as the explanation to update has been posted here, basically download to a fat32 usb, make sure tv is off, plug USB in, turn on tv power button by holding for 10 seconds and it should recognise it byself.

I should be getting this TV tomorrow I will upload my experience both gaming & watching high content movies/tv shows.
I purchased same size/model tv in Jan for exact same purposes 4K Netflix and PS5 gaming at 60fps with tv having V606 out the box. Initially i wasn't impressed with the gaming picture as it was showing alot of ghosting of white images against black backgrounds but this was rectified with subsequent updates and im currently running fw V650. When gaming toggle game mode on in system menu and set all motion processing features off in picture menu for best experience and low input lag. As for HDR content i find the settings posted by AVPhilic very good for movies and especially dark scenes and most other viewing.

I do the updates by putting zip file on fat 32 usb, plug in tv, go to settings in android tv homepage, click About, Click Software update and Local update. No need to do turning off tv and holding power button method.

Last edited:

MelkiG

Aug 6, 2021
I purchased same size/model tv in Jan for exact same purposes 4K Netflix and PS5 gaming at 60fps with tv having V606 out the box. Initially i wasn't impressed with the gaming picture as it was showing alot of ghosting of white images against black backgrounds but this was rectified with subsequent updates and im currently running fw V650. When gaming toggle game mode on in system menu and set all motion processing features off in picture menu for best experience and low input lag. As for HDR content i find the settings posted by AVPhilic very good for movies and especially dark scenes and most other viewing.

I do the updates by putting zip file on fat 32 usb, plug in tv, go to settings in android tv homepage, click About, Click Software update and Local update. No need to do turning off tv and holding power button method.
Thanks for the input brother, yeh I’ll run the V650 once I open it up from the box, and the way you mentioned to update it is allot better!

only thing I’m not getting is the calibration settings posted by AVPilic, do I set the picture present first and change the settings from there? For example: put the picture present to movies and change the picture settings from the movies preset?

So when I’m watching movies change the mode to movie mode than when I want to play games change the mode to game mode, so back and forth of these two modes depending what I’m doing, correct?

sorry if it sounds stupid I haven’t gotten the tv yet so not sure how the settings look like, but I’ll be receiving it today so look forward to putting in my two cents once I play around with it.

Feral_Nguni

Jun 8, 2021
Thanks for the input brother, yeh I’ll run the V650 once I open it up from the box, and the way you mentioned to update it is allot better!

only thing I’m not getting is the calibration settings posted by AVPilic, do I set the picture present first and change the settings from there? For example: put the picture present to movies and change the picture settings from the movies preset?

So when I’m watching movies change the mode to movie mode than when I want to play games change the mode to game mode, so back and forth of these two modes depending what I’m doing, correct?

sorry if it sounds stupid I haven’t gotten the tv yet so not sure how the settings look like, but I’ll be receiving it today so look forward to putting in my two cents once I play around with it.

That’s right, select your picture preset eg: Movie and adjust settings but I normally toggle game mode on from the system menu and turn it off when I want to use another picture preset as it doesn’t allow you to choose another preset when you are in game mode. There is a game picture preset but I’m not sure if it’s the same as the one in system menu which I use. To be on the safe side I usually just use system menu option and do all my adjustments to game mode when that is on.

Reactions: twerg

twerg

Oct 11, 2009
Hobart
Apps & Games
Correct. Select the Picture Mode that you want to use, then access the settings in that mode to change all required/meedde.

I usually use PC mode as Im always (mostly) use the TV for the PC. I have applied AVPhilics settings to PC too though have on Colour Temp Normal, not Warm for PC. Note that for gaming, I find warm does introduce some colour bleeding..

Always have Colour Space AUTO, as Native seems real bad at times, again effecting colour bleeding.

Note certain settings do not ap[ply to all presets, play around with what works best for you, using others 'suggestions' as that

The PC picture also is very quick, so I usually dont need to use Game Mode. I dont use the Game picture setting, PC + system Game Mode if needed.

AVPhilic

Jan 28, 2021

Hi, sorry guys for responding late and thanks for supporting my work. Yes the settings needs to be changed upon first selecting the Preset to Movie. Movie is the closest to DCI P3 color space, the format this is used in theatrical projections. Leave the color space on Auto is the best for the TV to adopt and apply settings per the source format. Some older TCL models have a custom temperature selection which is more suited for calibration of white balance. The news ones though just has a slider to adjust the temperature. Leave the slider on -5, which is warmest and better suited for watching movies, sports., standard and high definition streaming content. Local Contrast is an option., one may keep the settings at low and set the Gamma to 0., or turn off the local contrast and set the Gamma to 2. Use the 2 point white balance settings as provided as this was closest I could achieve on 80% gray scale for gain and 30% gray scale for offset. Off late upon moving to R709 software, I have reduced the backlight from 50 to 26 as I did notice 26-30 seems for SDR a good reference point to view in both dark and ambient room light. This also reduces eye stress and also major brands like Samung, LG, Sony has come up with a new Fulm maker mode picture preset that has a optimal backlight setting half of the mid way point. That's it for now and thank you all.

AVPhilic

Jan 28, 2021
C715 picture calibration.....( 8 months ago)
These settings are very professional, seems it is work done by Darko. The shadow details have improved output by implementing the Custom Color Space. On the 20 point WB., I preferred to chose 10point scale. Will play around more with these settings. Thank you very much for this share.

Reactions: Feral_Nguni

stasiof

Oct 9, 2013

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

This link is from only two pages back on the thread. It links in to every update so far. I'm not at all sure about your TV model though and whether or not v722 is compatible. Maybe someone else could confirm that for you 👍🏻
    Thank you!
    Honestly I don't think such a reply can help anyone.

I did read through the whole thread and tried to pick the most useful part to me, but still cannot confirm it's applied to my TV's version. It's a risky task worth some advice.

You can choose to ignore any post if you think it's too trivial. However such an "instruction" with no beef will only make one uncomfortable. So please save it next time.
    V8-R851T02-LF1V458 is latest known version for your TV model (N.America region).
    However, you can update with global version with any R851T02 firmware.
    Android 9 is up to V662 and Android 11 is up to V728.

Use search for this topic and type V458 , many posts available as noted above.
    I couldn't find the firmware download link in this topic. Can you share the download link please?
    Why is so hard to read a few pages back ? :rolleyes:

post .....#4,465
    Hello. What's the difference between IMG and OTA? I need to upgrade my TV, shall I install IMG or OTA file? Please advise.
    Firmware V728 for R851T02 lists EP640 as compatible but not my model EP644. Will it still work? I like to upgrade from V606 to V728 via img.
    EP644 is same platform.

UPDATE VERSION: V643​

Date of publication/uploaded : 16.06.2021
    Check URL file size : 1.385 Gb
    Compilation date : 11/06/2021

[Download link]
    :

[Change log] :
    1. enhance stability
    2. optimised experience
    3. fixed some audio formats crash
    4. security package update (gDLL)
    5. optimisation
    DVB-S2 for SAT (lib.sat.so) card
    V645

build date= Jun 19 2021
    build= 1624032310
    security_patch= 2021-01-05
    gmsversion= Android_9_Pie
    software.version_name=AP08
    file size= 1.38GB
    I have a 75c815k (uk) and have just updated to V715 android 11 software, I was previously on V645 the current official TCL European software and had spent many many hours tweaking the settings to get what I consider the best picture quality to suit my taste and eye. My son has an LG 77" c1 oled which cost him roughly 4 times more than my TCL and whilst my picture is not quite up to his with my settings I think it comes very close and thought I would share them if anyone wants to try them. I like quite a vibrant picture so have used the standard mode with the following settings for SDR ( in movie mode the same settings give a slightly softer look)
    Brightness/backlight 45,
    Contrast 90,
    Black level 40,
    Dynamic contrast off, black stretch off, brightness+ on, local dimming low, gamma 0
    Colour 48, tint 50, dynamic colour on, colour temp -1
    Sharpness 50, digital noise and noise reduction off
    Gradation clear (not on V645) low
    Motion clarity on, led motion clear off, judder reduction off
    Expert calibration settings untouched apart from colour space set to auto.

My Hdr settings are similar although brightness and contrast left at 100 and colour pulled back to around 46
    Dolby Vision left alone.

These settings were originally set on V645 but seem ok with V715

As with most things picture quality is subjective but these settings I believe would give a much better baseline to the out of box settings which are way overblown in my opinion.
    Another Argentinian here.
    As I got tired of waiting for the OTA to appear, with my adb logcat running, and it never did ...
    I thought: "why don't I edit the ota v213 url to see if it works?", and it did. :p

V8-R851T02-LF1V321.014450.zip

UPDATE VERSION: V649​

Date of publication/uploaded : 28.07.2021
    URL file size : 1.37732Gb
    Android 9.0
    BTL compiled 16/07

- Ground channel optimization
    - Fix that occurred while reading some audio formats
    - (opt) BT remote controls & pairing
    - Other minor optimizations and fixes

Observation: My sounbar now works correctly.