[TEAM XPOSED] [GUIDE] Dim capacitive buttons without a kernel

Search This thread

freeza

Recognized Developer
May 28, 2006
Pasadena, CA
www.freeza-inc.com
You want your capacitive buttons more dim, but don't want to go through the trouble of flashing a kernel? Fear not! Team Xposed has you covered.

It's a very simple process actually. (Thank you to joe85 and mwalt2 for their sources!)

There are three ways to achieve this.
-One of them requires init.d (the script will change the value upon boot)
-Second of them can be inserted into the kernel ramdisk
-Third of them can be done manually.

Let's start with the easiest, which is manually. With your phone connected to ADB, OR in a terminal emulator, simply type this in:

echo 2 > /sys/devices/platform/leds-pm8058/leds/button-backlight/currents

After tinkering for a bit, I've found that 2 is the dimmest it'll go. 1 turns them off, or makes them so dim that I can't tell between them being turned off or not. I don't know what the largest value is that you can use either, but this is for dimming, so who cares how bright you can do? :)

I've taken the steps to insert it into my kernel ramdisk, and you can too. Just insert that line in bootcomplete.rc or where ever you feel comfortable in ramdisk.

Now, for those who want to use it as an init.d script, I've attached a flashable zip at the bottom, or you can do it yourself by using root explorer to edit any current scripts in your /system/etc/init.d folder and placing the same line in there.

I'd tinker with values in ADB first to find a value that fits you best. The flashable zip I'm attaching has the value set at 2.

NOTE: Make sure your kernel supports init.d if you choose to flash the zip. (Most of them do, it's just a disclaimer to cover my ass for the "it doesn't work" replies)

Attachments

• freEVO-3D-DimLeds.zip
    141.5 KB · Views: 888

affliction

Oct 2, 2010
worthless,ohio
the flashable zip worked great thank u!!! i did try adb and i wouldnt work is there something im missing?i am normally pretty good with adb

felacio

Apr 16, 2007
Fayetteville
www.idle-handz.com
I actually did the opposite. Since a few kernels or ROMS have the led dimmed already. I use this and change the value to 20 to keep it bright. Haha

I modded my leds green. So that makes them dimmer already.

Anyways, thanks for this!

cobraboy85

Aug 25, 2011
You want your capacitive buttons more dim, but don't want to go through the trouble of flashing a kernel? Fear not! Team Xposed has you covered.

It's a very simple process actually. (Thank you to joe85 and mwalt2 for their sources!)

Let's start with the easiest, which is manually. With your phone connected to ADB, OR in a terminal emulator, simply type this in:

After tinkering for a bit, I've found that 2 is the dimmest it'll go. 1 turns them off, or makes them so dim that I can't tell between them being turned off or not. I don't know what the largest value is that you can use either, but this is for dimming, so who cares how bright you can do? :)

I've taken the steps to insert it into my kernel ramdisk, and you can too. Just insert that line in bootcomplete.rc or where ever you feel comfortable in ramdisk.

Now, for those who want to use it as an init.d script, I've attached a flashable zip at the bottom, or you can do it yourself by using root explorer to edit any current scripts in your /system/etc/init.d folder and placing the same line in there.

I'd tinker with values in ADB first to find a value that fits you best. The flashable zip I'm attaching has the value set at 2.

NOTE: Make sure your kernel supports init.d if you choose to flash the zip. (Most of them do, it's just a disclaimer to cover my ass for the "it doesn't work" replies)

Freeza your mod has caused my phone to lag tremendously and battery life has suffered a lot since using this rom. Please fix!

Lulz

Reactions: freeza

Schmurtz1968

Dec 29, 2008
Rouen
It Works like a charm

Thanks !
It works like a charm.
At first, i've tested with adb to find the correct value for my needs.
And now with starting script my default value is now set to 6. :)

Sheers

Last edited:
Reactions: freeza

SteelH

Jun 12, 2010
Freeza your mod has caused my phone to lag tremendously and battery life has suffered a lot since using this rom. Please fix!

Lulz

That's just plain erroneous. Period. SteelROM has been running with the lights set at 2 for weeks, and battery life is fantastic. Simple logic will tell you less amps to a light results in less battery drain. So, if anything, dimming those LEDs will INCREASE your battery life!

SteelH

Jun 12, 2010

0 = off, 2 = dim. Same results I found a while back. However, 20 is the highest you could/should go. (it actually does matter!) This setting is for mA (AKA milliamps for those less electrically knowledgable). SO setting to over 20 could result in excess current going to the LEDs meaning unecessary heat and shortened battery life.

cobraboy85

Aug 25, 2011
That's just plain erroneous. Period. SteelROM has been running with the lights set at 2 for weeks, and battery life is fantastic. Simple logic will tell you less amps to a light results in less battery drain. So, if anything, dimming those LEDs will INCREASE your battery life!

you didn't think i was being serious did you....

hahaha

jstn76rs

Oct 20, 2008
La Crosse, WI
Are these values supposed to stick after a reboot if done manually? I was just wondering because I tried the manual way and reset my phone and the leds went back to the normal brightness.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Lulz
    It Works like a charm

Thanks !
    It works like a charm.
    At first, i've tested with adb to find the correct value for my needs.
    And now with starting script my default value is now set to 6. :)

Sheers
    wipe data/system/boot/wimax/sd/sd-ext/a window or two

Then flash a kernel from the EVO 4G section. You'll be as good as new!

Bro... I was kidding lol. The sarcasm was because people always do that right after flashing a rom..... because they are retarded
    Are these values supposed to stick after a reboot if done manually? I was just wondering because I tried the manual way and reset my phone and the leds went back to the normal brightness.

They stick if you add a script to init.d or init.post_boot.sh or kernel ramdisk