[TEAM XPOSED][HOW-TO]7/18/12 SystemUI mods and how-tos (new: custom notif background)

thekendog

Jul 25, 2011
Can you send me the SystemUI?

If it's heavily modified with deleted languages and such, it may not compile properly.
Yeah I attached it to this post. Sorry for the trouble but I'm new to all this stuff and am still learning. Figure I might as well stop asking people to make stuff for me and learn how to do it on my own!

Attachments

Reactions: Jimieo

KBizzle

Oct 30, 2008
Knoxville
Freeza, I'm not hugely familiar with decompiling/compiling TouchWiz apks. Is there a good rule of thumb to follow on what APKs require which frameworks to be installed before decompiling/compiling? I notice that in your directions for decompiling the systemui, you only mentioned installing framework-res.apk. What apks require twframework? Thanks.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

freeza

Recognized Developer
May 28, 2006
Pasadena, CA
www.freeza-inc.com
Yeah I attached it to this post. Sorry for the trouble but I'm new to all this stuff and am still learning. Figure I might as well stop asking people to make stuff for me and learn how to do it on my own!
You're absolutely right, this file is full of errors. Interesting...I'll look into it a bit further tomorrow.

Freeza, I'm not hugely familiar with decompiling/compiling TouchWiz apks. Is there a good rule of thumb to follow on what APKs require which frameworks to be installed before decompiling/compiling? I notice that in your directions for decompiling the systemui, you only mentioned installing framework-res.apk. What apks require twframework? Thanks.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
Well, not really, most files, if they require a dependency, it will be framework-res. Basically, if it de/recompiles fine with that dependency, then you've got nothing to worry about. If you get de/recompiling errors, you may try to add twframework as well. However, so far it hasn't been a dependency of any apks I've decompiled.

HolyGrail

Dec 27, 2009
Hi freeza, this might be a little off topic. I was wondering ( if you ever have time ) if possible make a update.zip for a 1% battery. I'm rooted, with verizon. I'm pretty good on the graphic side of things....but suck on how to make a zip for flashing.

Here is a couple of pics of the batterys...... (blue set and white set)......going need to fix it to make it vertical.

I can send the all the images (vertically fixed)....if you need....I appreciate any help you can give...and thanks. :fingers-crossed:

Last edited:

x86cpu

Aug 25, 2010
Rochester
Hi freeza, this might be a little off topic. I was wondering ( if you ever have time ) if possible make a update.zip for a 1% battery. I'm rooted, with verizon. I'm pretty good on the graphic side of things....but suck on how to make a zip for flashing.

Here is a couple of pics of the batterys...... (blue set and white set)......going need to fix it to make it vertical.

I can send the all the images (vertically fixed)....if you need....I appreciate any help you can give...and thanks. :fingers-crossed:
I can try, I've made one using the Enhanced 1% @ the kitchen, it looks nice. I've also put back the WiFi toggle button at the top that Verizon took out. It's a flashable zip, let me know and I can add it here. If you let me know where those images are I can try to make one for that battery look.

x86cpu

Aug 25, 2010
Rochester
I was able to get this de-complied, and re-compiled. On de-compiling I got these errors:

W: Cant find 9patch chunk in file: "drawable-xhdpi/btn_default_small_normal_disable_focused.9.png". Renaming it to *.png.
W: Cant find 9patch chunk in file: "drawable-xhdpi/alert_bar_background_normal.9.png". Renaming it to *.png.
W: Cant find 9patch chunk in file: "drawable-xhdpi/btn_default_small_pressed.9.png". Renaming it to *.png.
W: Cant find 9patch chunk in file: "drawable-xhdpi/alert_bar_background_pressed.9.png". Renaming it to *.png.
W: Cant find 9patch chunk in file: "drawable-xhdpi/status_bar_close_on.9.png". Renaming it to *.png.
W: Cant find 9patch chunk in file: "drawable-xhdpi/btn_default_small_selected.9.png". Renaming it to *.png.

So I'm not sure if the compiled version would even work. There were no errors on compiling it though.

freeza

Recognized Developer
May 28, 2006
Pasadena, CA
www.freeza-inc.com

Nice! I can most definitely do that if x86cpu doesn't.

I can try, I've made one using the Enhanced 1% @ the kitchen, it looks nice. I've also put back the WiFi toggle button at the top that Verizon took out. It's a flashable zip, let me know and I can add it here. If you let me know where those images are I can try to make one for that battery look.
Thanks for the help lol.

I was able to get this de-complied, and re-compiled. On de-compiling I got these errors:

W: Cant find 9patch chunk in file: "drawable-xhdpi/btn_default_small_normal_disable_focused.9.png". Renaming it to *.png.
W: Cant find 9patch chunk in file: "drawable-xhdpi/alert_bar_background_normal.9.png". Renaming it to *.png.
W: Cant find 9patch chunk in file: "drawable-xhdpi/btn_default_small_pressed.9.png". Renaming it to *.png.
W: Cant find 9patch chunk in file: "drawable-xhdpi/alert_bar_background_pressed.9.png". Renaming it to *.png.
W: Cant find 9patch chunk in file: "drawable-xhdpi/status_bar_close_on.9.png". Renaming it to *.png.
W: Cant find 9patch chunk in file: "drawable-xhdpi/btn_default_small_selected.9.png". Renaming it to *.png.

So I'm not sure if the compiled version would even work. There were no errors on compiling it though.
Exactly the same. However, those files end up being 0bytes, so I had to replace them by extracing them from the non-decompiled SystemUI.

Jirv311

Mar 30, 2008
Johnstown
The problem with decompiling some themed apks is that they may not be using properly formatted .9 png images. I believe that was the issue with Domination. If you need JUST images, use 7-zip to extract them. Otherwise, you can pull the bad .9 png images out, fix them with draw9patch and then replace them. Then it should decompile fine.

---------- Post added at 11:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:23 AM ----------

Those battery images are very nice. I was just working on something very similar but in the HTC green. Although, mine don't look quite as clean as those yet. :D

x86cpu

Aug 25, 2010
Rochester
The problem with decompiling some themed apks is that they may not be using properly formatted .9 png images. I believe that was the issue with Domination. If you need JUST images, use 7-zip to extract them. Otherwise, you can pull the bad .9 png images out, fix them with draw9patch and then replace them. Then it should decompile fine.

---------- Post added at 11:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:23 AM ----------

Those battery images are very nice. I was just working on something very similar but in the HTC green. Although, mine don't look quite as clean as those yet. :D
I've added a 1% Battery mode (screenshot attached), I can post the .zip if anyone likes, I tested is on the Verizon S3.

Jimieo

May 24, 2009
New London, CT
Freeza I owe you some huge thanks. I truly appreciate you sharing these guides with us all. It is a fantastic learning experience for a newbie like me and I absolutely love doing these things myself instead of flashing a zip. So, again thank you.

I do have one question though. Are you familiar with the Epic 4G Touch? One thing I like better about that device is the way Samsung has included the battery %. It's smaller text placed on top of the battery icon itself instead of taking up extra status bar space. Would you know how to edit the S III's battery % and relocate it?

Here is an image from socialsp's rom found here

How to remove the 100% battery charged notification coming up

---------- Post added at 04:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:57 PM ----------

Hmm.. I had the same errors about the png files from the ICS Domination as the others. I opened SystemUI.apk and extracted the folder and replaced the one I got when I recompiled it. If I understood right, that should cover that problem.

I did the text removal mod and went to recompile and this was the error I got.

Code:
Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Jimie>cd c:\android\apktools

c:\Android\apktools>apktool if framework-res.apk
I: Framework installed to: C:\Users\Jimie\apktool\framework\1.apk

c:\Android\apktools>apktool d SystemUI.apk
I: Baksmaling...
testI: Loading resource table...
I: Loaded.
I: Loading resource table from file: C:\Users\Jimie\apktool\framework\1.apk
I: Decoding file-resources...
W: Cant find 9patch chunk in file: "drawable-xhdpi/alert_bar_background_pressed.
9.png". Renaming it to *.png.
W: Cant find 9patch chunk in file: "drawable-xhdpi/alert_bar_background_normal.9
.png". Renaming it to *.png.
W: Cant find 9patch chunk in file: "drawable-xhdpi/btn_default_small_pressed.9.p
ng". Renaming it to *.png.
W: Cant find 9patch chunk in file: "drawable-xhdpi/btn_default_small_normal_disa
ble_focused.9.png". Renaming it to *.png.
W: Cant find 9patch chunk in file: "drawable-xhdpi/status_bar_close_on.9.png". R
enaming it to *.png.
W: Cant find 9patch chunk in file: "drawable-xhdpi/btn_default_small_selected.9.
png". Renaming it to *.png.
I: Decoding values*/* XMLs...
I: Done.
I: Copying assets and libs...

c:\Android\apktools>apktool b SystemUI
I: Checking whether sources has changed...
I: Smaling...
I: Checking whether resources has changed...
I: Building resources...
Exception in thread "main" brut.androlib.AndrolibException: brut.common.BrutExce
ption: could not exec command: [aapt, p, -F, C:\Users\Jimie\AppData\Local\Temp\A
PKTOOL6852875287007604227.tmp, -I, C:\Users\Jimie\apktool\framework\1.apk, -S, c
:\Android\apktools\SystemUI\res, -M, c:\Android\apktools\SystemUI\AndroidManifes
t.xml]
        at brut.androlib.res.AndrolibResources.aaptPackage(AndrolibResources.jav
a:193)
        at brut.androlib.Androlib.buildResourcesFull(Androlib.java:301)
        at brut.androlib.Androlib.buildResources(Androlib.java:248)
        at brut.androlib.Androlib.build(Androlib.java:171)
        at brut.androlib.Androlib.build(Androlib.java:154)
        at brut.apktool.Main.cmdBuild(Main.java:182)
        at brut.apktool.Main.main(Main.java:67)
Caused by: brut.common.BrutException: could not exec command: [aapt, p, -F, C:\U
sers\Jimie\AppData\Local\Temp\APKTOOL6852875287007604227.tmp, -I, C:\Users\Jimie
\apktool\framework\1.apk, -S, c:\Android\apktools\SystemUI\res, -M, c:\Android\a
pktools\SystemUI\AndroidManifest.xml]
        at brut.util.OS.exec(OS.java:87)
a:191)
        ... 6 more
Caused by: java.io.IOException: Cannot run program "aapt": CreateProcess error=2
, The system cannot find the file specified
        at java.lang.ProcessBuilder.start(Unknown Source)
        at java.lang.Runtime.exec(Unknown Source)
        at brut.util.OS.exec(OS.java:78)
        ... 7 more
Caused by: java.io.IOException: CreateProcess error=2, The system cannot find th
e file specified
        at java.lang.ProcessImpl.create(Native Method)
        at java.lang.ProcessImpl.<init>(Unknown Source)
        at java.lang.ProcessImpl.start(Unknown Source)
        ... 11 more

c:\Android\apktools>
I'm wondering if I need to update java or if I need a specific version. Does it make a difference if I'm on Windows over Ubuntu to do this?

freeza

Recognized Developer
May 28, 2006
Pasadena, CA
www.freeza-inc.com
Freeza I owe you some huge thanks. I truly appreciate you sharing these guides with us all. It is a fantastic learning experience for a newbie like me and I absolutely love doing these things myself instead of flashing a zip. So, again thank you.

I do have one question though. Are you familiar with the Epic 4G Touch? One thing I like better about that device is the way Samsung has included the battery %. It's smaller text placed on top of the battery icon itself instead of taking up extra status bar space. Would you know how to edit the S III's battery % and relocate it?

Here is an image from socialsp's rom found here

---------- Post added at 04:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:57 PM ----------

Hmm.. I had the same errors about the png files from the ICS Domination as the others. I opened SystemUI.apk and extracted the folder and replaced the one I got when I recompiled it. If I understood right, that should cover that problem.

I did the text removal mod and went to recompile and this was the error I got.

Code:
Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Jimie>cd c:\android\apktools

c:\Android\apktools>apktool if framework-res.apk
I: Framework installed to: C:\Users\Jimie\apktool\framework\1.apk

c:\Android\apktools>apktool d SystemUI.apk
I: Baksmaling...
testI: Loading resource table...
I: Loading resource table from file: C:\Users\Jimie\apktool\framework\1.apk
I: Decoding file-resources...
W: Cant find 9patch chunk in file: "drawable-xhdpi/alert_bar_background_pressed.
9.png". Renaming it to *.png.
W: Cant find 9patch chunk in file: "drawable-xhdpi/alert_bar_background_normal.9
.png". Renaming it to *.png.
W: Cant find 9patch chunk in file: "drawable-xhdpi/btn_default_small_pressed.9.p
ng". Renaming it to *.png.
W: Cant find 9patch chunk in file: "drawable-xhdpi/btn_default_small_normal_disa
ble_focused.9.png". Renaming it to *.png.
W: Cant find 9patch chunk in file: "drawable-xhdpi/status_bar_close_on.9.png". R
enaming it to *.png.
W: Cant find 9patch chunk in file: "drawable-xhdpi/btn_default_small_selected.9.
png". Renaming it to *.png.
I: Decoding values*/* XMLs...
I: Done.
I: Copying assets and libs...

c:\Android\apktools>apktool b SystemUI
I: Checking whether sources has changed...
I: Smaling...
I: Checking whether resources has changed...
I: Building resources...
Exception in thread "main" brut.androlib.AndrolibException: brut.common.BrutExce
ption: could not exec command: [aapt, p, -F, C:\Users\Jimie\AppData\Local\Temp\A
PKTOOL6852875287007604227.tmp, -I, C:\Users\Jimie\apktool\framework\1.apk, -S, c
:\Android\apktools\SystemUI\res, -M, c:\Android\apktools\SystemUI\AndroidManifes
t.xml]
a:193)
        at brut.androlib.Androlib.buildResourcesFull(Androlib.java:301)
        at brut.androlib.Androlib.buildResources(Androlib.java:248)
        at brut.androlib.Androlib.build(Androlib.java:171)
        at brut.androlib.Androlib.build(Androlib.java:154)
        at brut.apktool.Main.cmdBuild(Main.java:182)
        at brut.apktool.Main.main(Main.java:67)
Caused by: brut.common.BrutException: could not exec command: [aapt, p, -F, C:\U
sers\Jimie\AppData\Local\Temp\APKTOOL6852875287007604227.tmp, -I, C:\Users\Jimie
\apktool\framework\1.apk, -S, c:\Android\apktools\SystemUI\res, -M, c:\Android\a
pktools\SystemUI\AndroidManifest.xml]
        at brut.util.OS.exec(OS.java:87)
a:191)
        ... 6 more
Caused by: java.io.IOException: Cannot run program "aapt": CreateProcess error=2
, The system cannot find the file specified
        at java.lang.ProcessBuilder.start(Unknown Source)
        at brut.util.OS.exec(OS.java:78)
        ... 7 more
Caused by: java.io.IOException: CreateProcess error=2, The system cannot find th
e file specified
        at java.lang.ProcessImpl.create(Native Method)
        at java.lang.ProcessImpl.<init>(Unknown Source)
        at java.lang.ProcessImpl.start(Unknown Source)
        ... 11 more

c:\Android\apktools>
I'm wondering if I need to update java or if I need a specific version. Does it make a difference if I'm on Windows over Ubuntu to do this?
Hi, thanks for the comments man. I appreciate it. About your question...Is that a feature of that ROM or does the battery percent look that on the Stock Samsung ROM for the E4GT? The reason I'm asking is because I'm wondering if it's just a simple battery percentage mod with battery icons or if it's actually built into the Stock ROM. If it's just a mod with battery icons, then it's very easy to do.

Jimieo

May 24, 2009
New London, CT
It is part of the stock ROM, similar to our battery percentage feature. One can turn it on and off.

Hi, thanks for the comments man. I appreciate it. About your question...Is that a feature of that ROM or does the battery percent look that on the Stock Samsung ROM for the E4GT? The reason I'm asking is because I'm wondering if it's just a simple battery percentage mod with battery icons or if it's actually built into the Stock ROM. If it's just a mod with battery icons, then it's very easy to do.

HolyGrail

Dec 27, 2009
Sent you a pm

Nice! I can most definitely do that if x86cpu doesn't.
I appreciate that, thank you

So far I only made blue and white sets..... if I can get it working, I can make some green sets if you want.

Last edited:
Reactions: freeza

D-FUSE

Oct 11, 2010
Panama City(Got to love the beach)
I would like to know this too. I keep getting a bunch of errors in apktool. I wanted to try and figure out how to add in a small am/pm.
I have got center clock with holo light blue and then how to change the color in my thread and now I will be working am pm toggle next

Thanks for this thread too

@freeza you do awesome man.

Sharing is caring Thanks a whole lot dude:D

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
Reactions: freeza